The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #2981
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
did he give any update on wave 4 shipping?
NOPE! All about his over priced Van
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #2982
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
NOPE! All about his over priced Van
brutal. not sure what the need is to go on multiple podcasts that all have the same audience and say the same things.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #2983
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
I thought they all sold out already. Even so, can this app really be trusted? I will admit, though, that even if this app is legit, I can't say I regret having bought my Super7 Ultimates at full price (the figures, that is... I am NOT getting that Party Wagon even if I could actually afford it). But I did feel a little interested in getting duplicates at this insanely cheap price for the sake of customizing. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but everything about this is setting off red flags in my head and it just reeks of scam to me. Has anyone here ever used this app before and gotten their ordered items?
It's possible, but that would be a helluva scam to setup an entire, functional app complete with active streaming commentary over each purchase just to scam people over cheap carded figures, you know? Possible, but the odds are against it.

I think that app took a nod from the old 'QVC" style channels and that's what they were going for. The truth is that most stuff that makes it's way on there will be heavily discounted if the comparison I'm making is true.

Either way, I gave it a shot. So we will see probably by January if the stuff shows up as promised. If not I'll do a credit card dispute and get my money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSte View Post
Cuz my dumb ass already bought them at full price.
Ehhhhh, wish you didn't man. But you're a fan for sure - dove into those headfirst, so that's cool.

This is the root of why I try to frame things on social media the way I do though. It's not to $#!( on anyone as much as it's to point out to people that don't realize it - "these are overpriced action figures that gain popularity purely through "boutique normalization" and then relying on addiction buying.

There is literally no reason that a 5-points, 3 3/4 action figure should cost 20 bucks or more at retail. To tell you the truth, if the ReAction stuff was all priced at 5 bucks or even.... I don't know - 6.95 MAXIMUM, I'd probably deep dive into the entire collection because they are such charming archetypes of their respective properties. But twenty? Nah, twenty bucks isn't about whether you can afford 'em or not, but rather just about addicted consumerism right there. Super 7 exploits that.

I don't know if you like the MOTU stuff, but BBTS had those ReAction figures tremendously discounted down to a "realistic" price as well. Just a head's up.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #2984
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
brutal. not sure what the need is to go on multiple podcasts that all have the same audience and say the same things.
They probably invited him. He's had some health issues so I don't think he's going out of his way to show up on these interviews.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #2985
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
It's possible, but that would be a helluva scam to setup an entire, functional app complete with active streaming commentary over each purchase just to scam people over cheap carded figures, you know? Possible, but the odds are against it.

I think that app took a nod from the old 'QVC" style channels and that's what they were going for. The truth is that most stuff that makes it's way on there will be heavily discounted if the comparison I'm making is true.

Either way, I gave it a shot. So we will see probably by January if the stuff shows up as promised. If not I'll do a credit card dispute and get my money back.
I bit the bullet and downloaded the app. But it was all for naught, anyway. Every single Ultimates figure listed really is sold out.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #2986
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I bit the bullet and downloaded the app. But it was all for naught, anyway. Every single Ultimates figure listed really is sold out.
I hadn't even seen that. I only bought the ReAction stuff. I just went back now to check and yeah - gone but again 10 bucks? Even 15 bucks and now those Ultimates figures are at a worthwhile price point? 50? 75 bucks? Not a chance.

Sorry you missed a buying op though, man.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:08 PM   #2987
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Eh, I've never minded the initial $45 price point, as far as personally viewing these as pretty high quality figures (I am someone used to buying stuff like FiguArts, Figma, and MAFEX, afterall), though I do wish they had stayed at that pricepoint, as obviously paying less is always better than paying more. $55 hurts, though, but hasn't deterred me. I think my ideal price that I would still consider fair for the quality these figures have would be anywhere between $35-$40. They are still pretty high quality figures with a nice heft to them.

That being said, I don't think they're worth $75, and I'm really hoping what Brian was saying about that being a possibility does NOT come to pass. I'm worried about the future, because I love this line and there's still lots of characters I'd love to see get the ULTIMATES treatment.

Anyway, it would have been cool to have gotten some of these at $10 for customs. But I'm not that bothered about missing out, since these are all figures I already own. Thanks for the heads up about it earlier, dude. Who knows, maybe I would have been able to cop some if I hadn't been so paranoid about the apps' legitimacy.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #2988
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Eh, I've never minded the initial $45 price point, as far as personally viewing these as pretty high quality figures (I am someone used to buying stuff like FiguArts, Figma, and MAFEX, afterall), though I do wish they had stayed at that pricepoint, as obviously paying less is always better than paying more. $55 hurts, though, but hasn't deterred me. I think my ideal price that I would still consider fair for the quality these figures have would be anywhere between $35-$40. They are still pretty high quality figures with a nice heft to them.

That being said, I don't think they're worth $75, and I'm really hoping what Brian was saying about that being a possibility does NOT come to pass. I'm worried about the future, because I love this line and there's still lots of characters I'd love to see get the ULTIMATES treatment.

Anyway, it would have been cool to have gotten some of these at $10 for customs. But I'm not that bothered about missing out, since these are all figures I already own. Thanks for the heads up about it earlier, dude. Who knows, maybe I would have been able to cop some if I hadn't been so paranoid about the apps' legitimacy.

I completely agree. I've also bought figures from companies like Figma, Play Arts Kai, REBOR, Mezco, PNSO and eventually Mafex (going by my taste in toys) so I don't understand the hysteria regarding Super7's prices. They are quality figures (and, should not be compared directly to Playmates or Loyal Subjects or Funko) and are probably more than worth the $45-55 price tag. The fact that folks jumped on the Super7 bandwagon at the dirt cheap app prices suggest they do admire Super7's craftsmanship at some level or another or they would remain completely unfazed at any price point. Regardless, I don't think a $75 price tag is sustainable.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #2989
IMJ
Emperor

I totally appreciate that you guys would support an aspect of your fandom if you loved the product. But guys... using your previous boutique figure buying as justification for future figure buying is... well it might be preference, but it isn't cogent decision making at all.

And to be completely transparent, I have basically a complete collection of the S.H. Figuarts Iron Man releases, several Figma pieces, and pretty varied collection of 12" pieces across Hot Toys and other manufacturers across various I.P.'s. At least the imported stuff has some modicum of an argument for the price point.... And even then.... you know. But the difference is that as each product line jumped the shark or reached higher in the price point, I changed my buying patterns.

All I am pointing out is that on it's own merits, the "nonsensically expensive and opportunistic (e.g., "boutique") action figure market is, at large pushing the envelope to the point of outlandishness in pricing. And it's getting by purely on addiction and, no offense, but poor value judgements that make people say "hell I buy Figuarts all the time so Super 7's articulated vintage-reduxe toys at 50 bucks a pop and delivered like a subscription service is no big deal".

That's all I'm saying. Justify it however you want if you simply want to buy certain pieces, but in the end it would be better to either justify honestly or at least not through... you know.... phony comparisons and so on. Basically buy what you want, but don't lie to yourselves about the truth of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
The fact that folks jumped on the Super7 bandwagon at the dirt cheap app prices suggest they do admire Super7's craftsmanship at some level or another or they would remain completely unfazed at any price point.
You are saying that like you've discovered a break in the armor of the debate or something, but it was never denied that Super 7's releases were, at the very least appealing in some way or another.

It's simple. Super 7's vintage-looking, five points ReAction figures are worth buying as a fan - at 5 to 7 bucks a pop. They are not worth buying at 20. The Ultimates figures would be worth supporting whole heartedly at Ten dollars a pop. Not at 50. Why is that hard to understand? Why make a "point of opportunity" about "jumping onto bandwagons" or other arguments of weakness and assault like you did there? There's no subterfuge involved. It's that simple. For my part in it, I've never once laid out the argument that "Super 7 is pure junk and you shouldn't buy it for bad sculpting and crap quality!"; and I have never been disingenuous in the observations I've made about the line. That would be purely emotional-midget-logic in lieu of the price-to-value-judgement. I have laid out the argument that the price points are opportunistic and not worth what they are asking when you look at the entirety of the situation.

Why did you hear something different than that? That's on how you view the world man, not me. I'm pretty upfront and nothing I've said about the products or the price points are disingenuous at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Regardless, I don't think a $75 price tag is sustainable.
This is what I'm going to be curious to see. How many of the hangers on will there be as these things inflate? How many suckers will hear the "inflation economy" explanation and that is somehow actually the newest "understanding" to hang-on rather than walk away. "Well, we are under inflation so I understand why these are 75 bucks each, durp durp". It's like "well you can understand that and yet also understand that it's borderline insanity, right?" Maybe not.

Last edited by IMJ; 11-28-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:03 AM   #2990
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
This is what I'm going to be curious to see. How many of the hangers on will there be as these things inflate? How many suckers will hear the "inflation economy" explanation and that is somehow actually the newest "understanding" to hang-on rather than walk away. "Well, we are under inflation so I understand why these are 75 bucks each, durp durp". It's like "well you can understand that and yet also understand that it's borderline insanity, right?" Maybe not.
I totally agree. The inflation we're seeing is, in most ways, pretty modest. For most things, we're talking 2-6%, though gasoline has been more pronounced. For these figures to jump from $55 to $75 would be an insane leap (~37%), however, well outside the bounds of whatever actual inflation is happening.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:52 AM   #2991
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
It's simple. Super 7's vintage-looking, five points ReAction figures are worth buying as a fan - at 5 to 7 bucks a pop. They are not worth buying at 20. The Ultimates figures would be worth supporting whole heartedly at Ten dollars a pop. Not at 50.
I completely agree with you about ReAction, and it's probably why I don't own a single ReAction, but $10 seems way too low for something as good as the ULTIMATES are (not saying I wouldn't buy them at that price, just that I do honestly believe they're worth more than that). The average Marvel Legends figure is about $25, and I'd argue that the ULTMATES are much higher quality than a Marvel Legends. I'll admit, though, that $55 is a bit too high for what you're getting, but not astronomically. As I was saying earlier, I think a fair price for both the consumer and a reflection of the quality of the figures would be about $35 ($40 max), but that might just be how I'd place value on these figures (both on their own and in relation to all other toys currently out there).

I can't stress enough, though, that $75 would force me to quit the line. And I'd hate to, because this has probably been my favorite TMNT line (even though I initially was hesitant to get into true 7 inch scale), but I'd honestly have to. Not JUST because it's beyond what I'd be able to afford, but out of protest. Brian can spin things anyway he wants, but I'm having trouble believing a price jump that high is necessary.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #2992
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I'd be out at $75 apiece, especially since we've started to see these things popping up for way cheaper here and there. I know that's not something to count on, but it's clearly a possibility and I'd be willing to take the gamble if it meant I could buy these figures without crushing guilt.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #2993
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

To be fair, outside of the Turtle variants which I have no interest in, I already only get the figures I had as a kid (which has been most of them so far - I've only skipped Scratch and the variant Leo and Mikey), but at $75, I'd begrudgingly buy Rat King and Usagi... and skip everything else. The QC on these figures has been so poor, I'm already finding it difficult to swallow the $55 price point.

Just as a point of comparison, whether you think NECA's prices are reasonable or not, looking at Groundchuck and Dirtbag just for the sake of the highest price point (currently) in that line... you're paying $32.50 a figure. And that's for figures that I would argue are, overall, of significantly higher quality than what Super7 puts out, especially in terms of engineering and durability. I understand that with NECA's model, you may wind up having to buy a figure you don't want, but overall, Super7 doesn't offer near the value or quality that NECA does... and that's in a world where I'd argue that NECA doesn't offer the best value or quality, either.

EDIT: That came across as overly-negative, as I DO love both lines. I guess I was just trying to say that they're both pushing to the limits of what I'm willing to pay for toys, especially for what you get.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #2994
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

The price points for both lines are getting up there - I grabbed NECA's Chromedome this week ($42.99) and Groundchuck & Dirtbag ($64.99) and Wingnut & Screwloose ($64.99).
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #2995
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
To be fair, outside of the Turtle variants which I have no interest in, I already only get the figures I had as a kid (which has been most of them so far - I've only skipped Scratch and the variant Leo and Mikey), but at $75, I'd begrudgingly buy Rat King and Usagi... and skip everything else. The QC on these figures has been so poor, I'm already finding it difficult to swallow the $55 price point.
Yep, I would do the same thing. I'd buy Rat King, General Traag, Usagi, Scumbug, Triceraton, Wingnut, and probably Genghis Frog and then be OUT! I'd imagine I'll get at least half these before the price increase though.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #2996
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
did he give any update on wave 4 shipping?
Just got an email stating: "Thank you for your patience with this release! The production and delivery of this made-to-order release is complete. Casey Jones, Donatello, Mondo Gecko, and Muckman & Joe Eyeball are being received in our warehouse and we anticipate shipping out to you over the next couple of weeks!"

Fingers crossed for a pre-Christmas delivery! I ordered this wave direct from Super7 so I might be near the front of the line for once.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #2997
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I completely agree with you about ReAction, and it's probably why I don't own a single ReAction, but $10 seems way too low for something as good as the ULTIMATES are (not saying I wouldn't buy them at that price, just that I do honestly believe they're worth more than that).
As you went on in this same paragraph to show, you are basing that assessment on a pyramid of lies the entire toy industry has sold to us over the past 10-20 years as prices have crept up, then skyrocketed. "This seems worth X, because I pay Y for that". But follow the thread all the way and realize that all of X, Y, and Z are and have been overpriced themselves for a long time now. We let them get away with this and now it's just snowballing.

At first $10 sounds laughable. But a company could make product like this and sell it at a profit for $10-20. Promise. They just aren't. Because they don't have to. Because people will pay whatever they ask at this point.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #2998
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post

Just as a point of comparison, whether you think NECA's prices are reasonable or not, looking at Groundchuck and Dirtbag just for the sake of the highest price point (currently) in that line... you're paying $32.50 a figure. And that's for figures that I would argue are, overall, of significantly higher quality than what Super7 puts out, especially in terms of engineering and durability. I understand that with NECA's model, you may wind up having to buy a figure you don't want, but overall, Super7 doesn't offer near the value or quality that NECA does... and that's in a world where I'd argue that NECA doesn't offer the best value or quality, either.

EDIT: That came across as overly-negative, as I DO love both lines. I guess I was just trying to say that they're both pushing to the limits of what I'm willing to pay for toys, especially for what you get.
This was a great post with a solid breakdown of the NECA price point. And I didn't know about the Super 7 QC issues - that makes it even worse. Great post, up until you did the "overly-negative" backtracking. There's no need for that, man. That's something that keeps people fearful of backlash when delivering a truth.

It's simple consumerism. You have the buying power. A company will convince you about "social negativity" and explain "be thankful that we got this line out there for you!" and admonish criticism. Bull $#!(. All observations delivered in truth and a genuine nature can be present when dropping coin on a material good. That's the nature of capitalism and how you keep companies in check, especially when they are pricing on manipulation through addiction-buying and emotional-manipulation.

Let the bottom feeders eat themselves alive for arguments like "negativity" when in fact you have the consumer right to make these evaluations in truth. The bottom-feeders that linger here will say that I'm negative in this thread or about society or whatever BS they want to say. They are wrong. The end. If any given topic was running correctly, or wasn't so mired in the current Clown World nonsense, then there wouldn't be that level of negativity. It's that simple. And so, instead of calling these observations a marker of a person's "negativity", maybe the brain trust here should realize that these observations are indicators of actually how bad the situation really is.

Last edited by IMJ; 11-29-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #2999
mikey0
Foot Elite

People are getting notifications about wave 4 figures shipping soon from Super 7:
https://mobile.twitter.com/preternia...12725950095360
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #3000
Juicexct
Foot Soldier

People are getting WAYYYY too deep on this. They’re toys and collectibles. Buy what you want and enjoy it. Don’t let someone tell you it’s overpriced and you’re a sheep.
Juicexct is offline   Reply With Quote