The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #11
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
Just as a point of comparison, whether you think NECA's prices are reasonable or not, looking at Groundchuck and Dirtbag just for the sake of the highest price point (currently) in that line... you're paying $32.50 a figure. And that's for figures that I would argue are, overall, of significantly higher quality than what Super7 puts out, especially in terms of engineering and durability.
This is interesting and slightly surprising to read. Not to start a dumb "brand war", but I've actually had the opposite experience with these two brands (and I do love both). I haven't had any QC issues with the Super7 Ultimates, but I have consistently had super stiff joints on most of my NECA TMNT figures, to the point of it feeling like posing them could break them (in fact, I've had two figures break just from taking them out of the package). I dunno if it's as consistent with other people, or if I just have really lousy luck with NECA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
As you went on in this same paragraph to show, you are basing that assessment on a pyramid of lies the entire toy industry has sold to us over the past 10-20 years as prices have crept up, then skyrocketed. "This seems worth X, because I pay Y for that". But follow the thread all the way and realize that all of X, Y, and Z are and have been overpriced themselves for a long time now. We let them get away with this and now it's just snowballing.

At first $10 sounds laughable. But a company could make product like this and sell it at a profit for $10-20. Promise. They just aren't. Because they don't have to. Because people will pay whatever they ask at this point.
Maybe you're right. I'll admit, I have no knowledge of the economics involved, the work/labor that goes in, or the price of plastic, so I can't say for certain what any of these things are truly worth outside of making comparisons. But I will admit, prices have gotten crazy in the past two decades or so, and I do miss when $20 was the typical highest price for a high-end collector's figure... and that seems like an eternity ago.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote