The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-07-2022, 04:36 PM   #3141
Dask
Mad Scientist

Very happy to pick up the GITD MM as my primary MM for the line. I love GITD! Thanks for the video by Toy Bro.

On a side note, I really hope they re-release Shredder with a gray shirt. It doesn't seem that hard to do. I've never liked that Shredder (even as kid). He looks like an exhibitionist or a WWE reject.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #3142
SleepDrifter
Thug

We’re coming up on the 4 month mark. Hopefully we get to see a glimpse of Wave 7 soon!

Random figure generator:
Ratking
Traag
Hothead
Undercover Don
SleepDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:18 AM   #3143
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Got my Wave 4 over the weekend in my POL from BBTS.

Donatello is what we all expected at this point - but seeing all four turtles together (and finishing the original 10) is such an accomplishment for this line. Don's bo staff is shorter than I expected, but otherwise, I'm happy with how he turned out. The stern head is great.

Casey Jones shares a lot of his construction with Shredder, so there isn't much new with him in terms of articulation. But his accessories are a home run - the painted sports gear looks great and his "weapon rack" being a netless goal is a lot of fun. His golf bag being teal feels so right.

I think Mondo Gecko is the sleeper hit of this wave - while he's on the smaller side, the sculpt is excellent and the included accessory are perfect. His wide hands allow for fun poses, while the hang ten is just a lot of fun. Even the two heads offer a lot of expressive options. His skateboard looks great and has more paint applications than I expected - but he's made me realize not everyone in this line has foot pegs! The turtles can't borrow his skateboard!

I can't get over how massive Muckman is. I had seen photos, but I didn't realize his box is almost an inch thicker than the rest of the wave! He's so much heftier than Bebop or Rocksteady, and once you add in the trashcan backpack, he's twice as thick as either of them. The sculpt is excellent, but the paint really makes the whole figure come alive.

I legitimately can't believe that Muckman was the same price as April.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:23 AM   #3144
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Also got mine towards the end of last week and the experience was pretty typical Super7 at this point. I will say that, with a couple exceptions, this batch FEELS much better than any of the past waves.

Annoyingly, Donatello has the incredibly loose hips of Raphael and Leonardo, rather than the vastly improved hips I had with Michelangelo (although Michelangelo feels really "gummy," so maybe there's some kind of trade-off there). His bo is slightly too short, leading me again to believe that whoever's designing the accessories has no access to the actual figure they go to. Outside of that, he's what I'd expect, and it's great to finally have all four Turtles together.

Casey has knees that refuse to bend, even after applying heat, and I don't want to break them, so I guess I'll just leave him completely straight-legged. Beyond the knee problem, he's just kind of a bad figure all around. The way his torso rests on the top of his pants (versus nesting into a recess, for example) looks incredibly bad, his head sculpt is severely lacking, the figure generally seems too skinny, and I'm beginning to think that the sculptors may not be cut out for human figures (though I can't think of many other human characters in the line - sans the "cartoon" characters and April variants). The strap on his duffel bag is also sculpted in the opposite direction of what I'd think would be the natural way for the bag to work, so getting him to wear the duffel bag is something of a chore, and when you do finally get it on, it looks wrong unless you force it over his shoulder pad.

My Mondo is an absolute disaster as it features the sloppiest paint application I've seen in recent memory - white paint splashed all over his left leg, horrible bleed from his shirt into his scales, really sloppy paint on the alternate head sculpt. His midsection was stuck in the wrong position and I had to physically pull the torso apart to correct it. It doesn't help that, for me, he's just a boring character (I'm probably in the minority there, but like Mutagen Man, I never understood the appeal on this one, even as a kid).

Muckman is incredible, and really highlights the lopsided "value" of these figures. There's just no way that Muckman, Mondo and Casey are all worth the same amount, and I'm surprised that they didn't try to price Muckman higher given the precedent we've seen for them to get really stupid with their pricing in a line like Silverhawks. I think Muckman also highlights a different problem Super7 is going to run into - the more detailed the original figure was, the less "wow" factor on Super7's version. Muckman is the star of this wave, but he's also the figure that feels most like "This is just a big version of the Playmates figure." And I understand that's the line, but something about him felt underwhelming versus past "highlight" figures.

And I know I say it every wave, but Super7 MUST step up their QC, especially as we move on to $55 figures. This wave is a slight improvement over the past three, at least in terms of build quality, but they still have A LOT of problems and it just doesn't seem like they care that much about fixing them. And to be fair, I don't imagine why they would as long as it's not hurting them financially, but it's still extremely frustrating.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #3145
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
Casey has knees that refuse to bend, even after applying heat, and I don't want to break them, so I guess I'll just leave him completely straight-legged.
I had to do the whole "soak in a mug of almost boiling water" for a good 5 minutes to get his knees to finally release. Now they're fine and far better than the sticky pegs that the original Foot Soldiers faced.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:20 AM   #3146
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestergoblin View Post
I had to do the whole "soak in a mug of almost boiling water" for a good 5 minutes to get his knees to finally release. Now they're fine and far better than the sticky pegs that the original Foot Soldiers faced.
Thanks! I'll give this a shot when I get home this evening.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:22 AM   #3147
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepDrifter View Post
We’re coming up on the 4 month mark. Hopefully we get to see a glimpse of Wave 7 soon!

Random figure generator:
Ratking
Traag
Hothead
Undercover Don
I think we'll see Genghis Frog instead of Hothead
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:33 PM   #3148
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
I would love to see a super-massive Hot Head with extendible neck. Maybe, they can go all out and give him detachable dragon wings (and fire effects pieces). I do agree that Genghis Khan will likely make an appearance before Hot Head.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:10 PM   #3149
SleepDrifter
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I would love to see a super-massive Hot Head with extendible neck. Maybe, they can go all out and give him detachable dragon wings (and fire effects pieces). I do agree that Genghis Khan will likely make an appearance before Hot Head.
I’m going with the “jump ahead-a-bit” trend we’ve seen in every wave:
Baxter Wave 1
Mutagen Man Wave 2
Metalhead Wave 3
Muckman/Mondo Wave 4
Ray Wave 5
Scratch Wave 6

But hey- it’s been hard to pin down a rhyme and reason to discern any sort of pattern (bad guy/good guy ratio lopsided, release year seems to have little influence). So maybe they will tuck it back all the way to 89 releases. If we get Genghis with my current predictions we will only need Usagi Yojimbo to finish the unique mutants to finish the OG 89 drops. I’d be stoked to have it close up for a feeling of sweet sweet completionist OCD glory (kinda like I experienced when I got all four brothers). Here’s to Super7 getting the Usagi license. I’m happy NECA worked it out, seems like Stan’s terms might be reasonable.

Also, my two cents: I’ve been incredibly satisfied with everything I’ve got from Super7. No f-ed up joints, no shoddy paint jobs… except Metalhead was way loose in the hips. I cannot put his backpack on without him falling back heavy. I wasn’t terribly stoked on April’s sculpt or mold pigment but QC wise she is fine.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #3150
SleepDrifter
Thug

Quote:
Also ^ this. I would love a massive Hot Head. Wings would be siiiiiiiiiiick.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #3151
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepDrifter View Post
Also ^ this. I would love a massive Hot Head. Wings would be siiiiiiiiiiick.
did hot head actually have wings in any instance/appearance? i don’t remember him with wings
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:27 PM   #3152
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
did hot head actually have wings in any instance/appearance? i don’t remember him with wings
No.

https://m.facebook.com/4598365441878...3077831863766/
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #3153
italianice388
Stone Warrior

thanks for that! in that case, i wouldn't want wings. he's not that type of dragon. that'd be adding western dragon characteristics to an eastern dragon. zebra stripes on a horse.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #3154
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
thanks for that! in that case, i wouldn't want wings. he's not that type of dragon. that'd be adding western dragon characteristics to an eastern dragon. zebra stripes on a horse.
That is actually a good point. No need for dragons to change classification systems. I do hope they go all out with him, making him larger than even Muckman (and that extended neck) and some nice armor.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #3155
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
That is actually a good point. No need for dragons to change classification systems. I do hope they go all out with him, making him larger than even Muckman (and that extended neck) and some nice armor.
man, totally agreed with that.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #3156
Dask
Mad Scientist

I've decided to go all in on the Super7 TMNT Ultimates line.

I recently picked up Mikey (Raph is on the way from EE, Don is in my POL and Leo on preorder at BBTS).

I was wondering if the belts are removable like the vintage figures. It almost seems glued on my figure...
Old 01-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #3157
Chris
Mad Scientist

Had my invoice for Don & Casey end of last week so hopefully they’re in the UK and shipping now and will be in hand next week. Really hope so as the wait is killing me at this point. Can’t wait to finally complete the team and then roll on the wave 7 reveals!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 PM   #3158
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I was wondering if the belts are removable like the vintage figures. It almost seems glued on my figure...
I can't say I've tried it myself (nor do I want to), but I think it's safe to say that the belts aren't removable. I'd especially advise against trying it with Leonardo or Donatello, since I feel you'd probably have to destroy the shoulder straps on those...
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:04 AM   #3159
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
I can't say I've tried it myself (nor do I want to), but I think it's safe to say that the belts aren't removable. I'd especially advise against trying it with Leonardo or Donatello, since I feel you'd probably have to destroy the shoulder straps on those...
Good to know. I'm going to have to fight the urge to snap off the belt
Old 02-04-2022, 05:51 PM   #3160
Dask
Mad Scientist

-deleted-

Okay, I was able to resolve this.

Last edited by Dask; 02-04-2022 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Resolved