The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #121
Leo656
The Franchise

WOW, Blues Brothers 2000, huh? Let's not say things we can't take back.

But yeah, I agree, the moment has passed, all the more reason for my skepticism. The only thing about this entire franchise that hasn't been botched in 25 years is the goddamn video game. Which is fantastic, but that's a travesty.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've heard good things about the Ghostbusters comics. I don't feel any urge to read them, but they're out there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #123
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Sure it did. There's a chance some of it was regional, but I can attest that proudly wearing a Ghostbusters shirt after 1990, 1991 at the latest, was a great way to get teased by the other kids for liking "old" stuff that wasn't popular anymore. At least around here it was.

I can only speak to my own experience, not having the internet until 2000, but for the entirety of the 1990s I never talked to anyone who ever gave a sh*t about Ghostbusters, except to maybe briefly talk about it in terms of something they watched as kids but were "too cool" for now.

It wasn't a forgotten relic 0f the 80s like "Teen Wolf" or whatever, but it definitely wasn't "popular". That's revisionist history.
Really? It wasnít as relevant or at peak nostalgia as now but itís stuck around through all these years.

It had the Extreme cartoon, comics and collectible lines of toys and the video games. People have still obviously cared about it.

I never came across anyone thinking it was uncool after a certain point.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #124
Leo656
The Franchise

Speed Racer has been "around" a lot longer than Ghostbusters. No sane person would call it "popular". Not even the lunatic with the Mach V hood decal tattooed on his arm who you're presently speaking to. Longevity and brand awareness are not equal to "popularity". I'm objective enough to recognize that.

The fact that you, I, and a few obsessive internet geeks remember Extreme Ghostbusters doesn't change the fact that even a huge majority of people who self-identify as "Ghostbusters Fans" never heard of it. Doesn't make it bad, but it appeared during a time when the franchise was dead. Just like all that other stuff. I'm glad those things exist; most people don't know about them. Not even the people who should.

You and I are a tiny minority even among the fanbase, it appears. The biggest difference between us here simply seems to be, I only want another movie if it's really good, while it seems you're just happy they're doing a movie at all. I could be wrong, and even if I'm not it's entirely your prerogative. It's just that I, personally, can't find any logic in being hopeful YET when we don't know a single thing except the date.

Websites are already starting to post articles questioning the truncated period of time between now and the release date, and pointing out that it's questionable to lock in a date when no script or cast exist. And "insiders" have confirmed that no, those things do NOT exist, yet. It ain't just me, babe. People are getting over their nerd boners and waking up to the fact that Sony apparently hasn't learned anything, and some of us are nervous.

Because right now, we don't KNOW if they "remember" how to make a good Ghostbusters movie, we only know with any certainty that they know how to make a bad one.

We both love what the brand used to be, that much is clear. You're apparently still capable of trust and unconditional love, and that's neat. I'm not. But in my own defense, my parents used to beat the absolute sh*t outta me, so yeah, I don't much do the "love", "trust", "forgiveness" game.

I promise to show some enthusiasm at a future date if it's appropriate. That's all I can do.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #125
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

I actually do care more than just getting another movie.

I liked the reboot alright but it still really disappointed me that it was not some sort of a continuation. It would have been so easy to do and much appreciated. I don’t know why Feig insisted it be a remake/reboot. That and I would have changed a few things.

Sure I’m happy this is happening. I think that given it’s a true continuation with the same people behind it (kinda) makes it worth getting excited about in and of itself.

I do see people wondering if it’s ignoring part 2. I hope not. I liked GB2 even though it was redoing stuff.

On a side note I think GB was a little more impactful than Speed Racer. Nothing against that franchise but even that...I’m sure studios know almost everything has a fan base. They did do a live action movie and some revivals.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #126
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh it was absolutely more impactful; despite being a big part of bringing anime to America, Speed Racer has always been fairly niche. But, like Ghostbusters, it's never been completely "gone", either. They were both really popular briefly and then faded out to almost nothing, but still have plenty of diehard fans. They've also each had at least one revival that did more harm than good. So they do have a lot in common.

I also mentally link them because they were the two most popular comic books published by NOW Comics in the late-80s.

I also think that at this point, neither one needs another revival and are maybe (probably?) better off being put to bed for good and admired as products of their time. I feel that way about a lot of things that I love. I love them SO much, I would rather see them encased in amber and kept pristine, rather than seeing them beaten to death by constant mishandling and shoddy reboots.

I don't NEED new Speed Racer, Ghostbusters, He-Man or TMNT product. In fact, most of it just pushes me away because it has nothing that I liked about those things in the first place. They existed, they were awesome, and the people handling them now don't understand them. I'd be just fine with all of it being put away, so I can just appreciate them as the awesome things they were.

Instead, with every reboot announcement, I'm forced to worry about, "Great, how are they gonna f*ck it up THIS time?" Because they usually do. My heart can't take the strain.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #127
Leo656
The Franchise

Great article.

https://film.avclub.com/why-does-mor...1832054956/amp

Old 01-28-2019, 12:18 AM   #128
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

Read the whole article but respectfully disagree. Speaking for myself anyway, I honestly DID and DO like it for the ghosts and gear stuff first.

I’ve read very similar things before about how they could have worked in a bakery but let’s be serious. The concept of having weapons to fight the supernatural is what attracted us. Kids and teens anyway.

If it was about any working-joe occupation it might have still been a great movie like others of the 80s, but it was not going to have the same affect without the fantasy elements.

In general this is what I hate about all popular franchises. There’s always a portion of the fan base that claims it should be “left alone forever” and to me it just comes off as...I will not accept any changes because it’s not the same.

“corporation’s wielding of nostalgia as a cynical and predatory force of consumerism.”...This quote. Seemly nothing can get updated, expanded or revived without getting labeled.

If everyone thought this way we would not have a lot of the cool stuff we do have. No sequels to anything. Everything would be a 1-off thing. Movies, games, books, tv. That’d be pretty sad.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #129
Leo656
The Franchise

That's your opinion.

It's my opinion that the world only needed one Jaws movie, and one Jurassic Park, and it would be just super if we could talk about them in the context of, "That one great movie," without the implicit coda of, "Before it all went to sh*t." Why do we have to fix things until they break?

It's obvious that you're an optimist while I'm a cynic. Obviously, it works for you. It doesn't work for me. Optimism as a general philosophy is extremely foolish to me. Just so you're aware.

Literally every opinion I hold is rooted in the firm belief that it's better to expect disaster and be pleasantly surprised, rather than be constantly hopeful and in turn eternally disappointed when things don't meet expectations. Because most things WILL, statistically, fall short of expectations. Best to be prepared.

Which, contrary to popular belief, doesn't mean I hate everything. I like many things. It's just that I decide whether or not they're any good when I see them, and not a year or two before. And further, since I expect most things to be lousy, I'm often pleasantly surprised, which is nice.

Compare to the many who whine constantly about things "not meeting expectations". That's what happens when you get too excited about things.

Cynicism isn't "constant negativity", as some would say. It's about having realistic expectations based on logic and factual evidence rather than emotion. It's about objectivity, and judging things for what they are instead of what we'd like them to be. Which, in turn, leads to a generally happier life.

But that's me. Obviously, we're not the same.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:11 AM   #130
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

I donít know if itís that Iím an optimist exactly. I do not love everything about everything. Thereís franchises Iíve never even gotten into.

I do feel that most stuff has expanded well enough though if not better in some cases. Every franchise has its slump or bad installment but thatís bound to happen with anything. I donít think of it as doom.

I just view franchise updates as building on stuff. I like world/universe building. A lot of things are well suited for it. Itís fun to see.

Thereís things I am actually cynical about. Believe it or not. Real life things. Entertainment has never been one for me though. I find most stuff enjoyable. To a certain extant at least. Depends how invested I am in the franchise.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 AM   #131
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've heard good things about the Ghostbusters comics. I don't feel any urge to read them, but they're out there.
Yeah they are fun, they just recently finished their big crossover of busters in Crossing Over...it was nice and Holtzman wasn't bad in it.

Though I am curious how they are going to handle thecomics and Sony/Ghost Corps treats the IDW comics as an actual continuation of the movies (as they refer to them as "Prime") I guess at worst the comics will be treated as the lost years between 2 and 3.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:21 AM   #132
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Yeah they are fun, they just recently finished their big crossover of busters in Crossing Over...it was nice and Holtzman wasn't bad in it.

Though I am curious how they are going to handle thecomics and Sony/Ghost Corps treats the IDW comics as an actual continuation of the movies (as they refer to them as "Prime") I guess at worst the comics will be treated as the lost years between 2 and 3.
Just a guess but... by completely ignoring them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #133
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Real Ghostbusters

I used to watch the Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #134
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just a guess but... by completely ignoring them.
Well, I mean if you want to go the boring route I suppose.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #135
Egon1982
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Honestly. At this point, I don't really care all that much for a third "real" GB movie. That train left when Ramis passed, and it should have been made around 2006-2010 when Rocky Balboa, John Rambo, Red and Expendables was going on, they're a bit late on the "old retired people doing cool ****" movie fad.

This can so easily be the next Blues Brothers 2000, and thanks I hate it.
Blues Brothers 2000 sucked badly i agree, i think this might suck bad like that but not as horrible as Stinkbusters (2016 movie which i'm not gonna call it Ghostbusters and doesn't deserve to be called GBs) and i agree this franchise on film died with Ramis, time to come up with new franchises.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #136
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Well, I mean if you want to go the boring route I suppose.
Boring, maybe, but that's exactly what they're going to do.

There'd really be no upside in trying to shoehorn in a handful of comics that nobody read, to reconcile a movie that was extremely divisive with whatever movie comes next, which may or may not be just as divisive, we don't know yet.

At best, it'll be vague. Kinda like Ghostbusters II made zero mention of any of the events of Real Ghostbusters, either the cartoon or the moderately successful NOW Comics run. I liked that the 5 Year Gap happened, and kept things intentionally vague as far as when, exactly, the "downward spiral" began, and how many other adventures, if any, they had between the first and second movies. Some of the stuff in the comics and cartoons may have happened, all of it may have happened, or none of it. That was probably the smartest way of handling it.

That's probably how they'll handle it this time, as well. Which only makes sense.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #137
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Hey speaking of sequels, whats the consensus of The Lost World? Do people say it sucks now, too? I remember when it came out everyone liked it until the T-Rex in New York stuff. At least, thats what I remember the conversation being.

(I know it's a bit off topic but it's really not worth starting a whole new thread, either)

Never take what I say personally. It's a TMNT message board full of grown ass men. Lighten up.

Spoiler:
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #138
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Hey speaking of sequels, whats the consensus of The Lost World? Do people say it sucks now, too? I remember when it came out everyone liked it until the T-Rex in New York stuff. At least, thats what I remember the conversation being.

(I know it's a bit off topic but it's really not worth starting a whole new thread, either)
I liked The Lost World. The part with the T-Rex in San Diego was my favorite part of the whole movie.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #139
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Lol, yeah, it was almost like getting a free Godzilla minimovie as a bonus! Though I kind of felt sorry for the dog....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #140
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Though I kind of felt sorry for the dog....
Yeah! That dog always gets me. It's like the dead Ewok in Jedi for Jurassic Park

Never take what I say personally. It's a TMNT message board full of grown ass men. Lighten up.

Spoiler:
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bustin'makesmefeelgood, kidbusters, non-cuckbusters, the anti sjw