The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #1061
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzythebulldog View Post
i have one qestion i see people here saying canon whene they write about the comic can someone please tell a fellow dromer from norway wath it means
Here's a good wikipedia article about canon (assuming you're wanting to know what the term "canon" means).

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #1062
Genesis
Stone Warrior

Basically, if something is canon, that means that it is officially recognised as having happened within the respective universe. For example, the Image run of TMNT is generally considered non-canon to the Mirage series, even if it is a continuation of it. Since it clashed with Laird's Volume 4, it was officially reaffirmed as a different Turtles universe.

Hope that made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Here's a good wikipedia article about canon (assuming you're wanting to know what the term "canon" means).
Or... that, too. Rich beat me to it.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #1063
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Or... that, too. Rich beat me to it.
Nice teamwork!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #1064
Genesis
Stone Warrior

The work of karma! Namuu~...

Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #1065
Mayhem
Mad Scientist

Canon. Which derives the word canonical. Technically the word originated with the church, and particular rules or laws that it followed. This in time has come to mean a general body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as binding.

In reference to comics and other media, canon is used to define official facts, events, and people. So the IDW comics are canon because it has the license to produce TMNT media and they are considered official. In the same way that the original Mirage comics are canon, albeit there are considered a different universe. And so were the Image comics until Peter Laird decided they were not, and ignored them when volume four was created. At that moment, things can get sticky, and arguments occur.

The opposite is fanon, or fandom, where fans produce media. This is unofficial, and therefore not canon. Occasionally though, fanon creations become canon; for example, the official name for Derpy Hooves in MLP:FiM came from the fans.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #1066
The Purple Dragon
Stone Warrior

thanks guys i now understand and thanks fore the link as well rich i am going to read it closer thanks again guys
The Purple Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #1067
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

How does cover 3 of the ultimate collection connect with the art of vol 2? cant piece them together any how.....

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #1068
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
How does cover 3 of the ultimate collection connect with the art of vol 2? cant piece them together any how.....
It doesn't like the issues within the art is stand alone.This was mentioned on the IDW Forum.

The artwork for Vol 4 & 5 (Shades of Gray - City at War) is supposed to connect though

*Edit* It was actually said on this forum here:http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=37752

Also it makes sense considering the Vol 3. Cover is bookended by color images

Last edited by FoxZerro; 08-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #1069
boywonder26
Hench Mutant

old tmnt comic question

does anyone know the time frame from when the turtles return from outer space with triceratons in the tcri building and when they return to new york??
boywonder26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #1070
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxZerro View Post
It doesn't like the issues within the art is stand alone.This was mentioned on the IDW Forum.

The artwork for Vol 4 & 5 (Shades of Gray - City at War) is supposed to connect though

*Edit* It was actually said on this forum here:http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=37752

Also it makes sense considering the Vol 3. Cover is bookended by color images
Thought so, thanks

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #1071
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder26 View Post
does anyone know the time frame from when the turtles return from outer space with triceratons in the tcri building and when they return to new york??
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2010/...-timeline.html

Based upon Dr. Spengler's awesome timeline I'd say between two years and 30 months. Speculating that they went to space in the summer and that they celebrate the first Christmas in the Michelangelo Micro, that means with the Leo Micro it would be a year and a half mark, and then the second anniversary would happen sometime during the Exile to NoHo. Then its Winter again by the time RtNY happens.

Mostly speculation but since had to have happened before the first Christmas story and its the second winter after that event it makes sense.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #1072
TMNTChris1980
Hench Mutant

Looking to buy Tales of TMNT #70

Hi I'm new to the forums...so hello. I was wondering if anyone had the Tales of TMNT issue #70 "Return to New York" Part 1.5 for sale? Let me know. If you let me know by the end of the night 8/10, maybe I can get you something to trade from Shellback Artworks (Steve Lavigne's place)
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #1073
boywonder26
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxZerro View Post
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2010/...-timeline.html

Based upon Dr. Spengler's awesome timeline I'd say between two years and 30 months. Speculating that they went to space in the summer and that they celebrate the first Christmas in the Michelangelo Micro, that means with the Leo Micro it would be a year and a half mark, and then the second anniversary would happen sometime during the Exile to NoHo. Then its Winter again by the time RtNY happens.

Mostly speculation but since had to have happened before the first Christmas story and its the second winter after that event it makes sense.
thanks!
that makes sense.
boywonder26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #1074
Marshall84
Random Punk

Hey guys,

I want to start reading and collecting the TMMT comics...the original. My question is not difficult, just want to know if there are some re-releases of the original prints...thanks
Marshall84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #1075
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall84 View Post
Hey guys,

I want to start reading and collecting the TMMT comics...the original. My question is not difficult, just want to know if there are some re-releases of the original prints...thanks
Lots of options for you but I'll provide you with the current IDW re-print options for now...
  • If you want a collection, the IDW Ultimate Collection HC Vol. 1-3 are currently available. All 3 volumes would get you #1-21 ( minus 13, 16, and 18 ) along with the 4 micro-series one-shots.
  • If you want individual issues, IDW is re-releasing the original comics in color as "Color Classics." #1-3 and Raphael have been relesed so far.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #1076
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Hello, guys! Regarding the colleted books, which one is better, the one released by mirage years ago or the one released by idw? Like, which one offers the best option/quality/material for the mirage readers? cheers!

Last edited by TMNachoT; 08-15-2012 at 05:27 PM.
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #1077
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNachoT View Post
Hello, guys! Regarding the colleted books, which one is better, the one released by mirage years ago or the one released by idw? cheers!
Well, "better" to me is going to be different than "better" to someone else. It is very subjective as it would depend on personal preference. Plus, there have been multiple different collected books over the years, all with different content, format, and traits. In addition, some of very best of them are hard to come by and would be cost-prohibitive for just casual reading of the issues.

With that said, if your definition of "better" would lean more towards "cheaper" and/or "easier to acquire" then the recent IDW Ultimate Collection HCs are likely the easiest and cheapest to get at around $50 each. Plus, these are really cool collections and are very well-done.

Last edited by rich; 08-15-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #1078
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNachoT View Post
Hello, guys! Regarding the colleted books, which one is better, the one released by mirage years ago or the one released by idw? cheers!
Well, as usual that comes down to preference, but I can offer some comments since I have both. I like having all the original Eastman/Laird written/drawn issues in one trade. Plus, it includes the Fugitoid one shot which is a nice bonus, but isn't necessary to understand the story.

As for IDW, the quality of the scans are the same, but they are on much nicer larger sized paper and in a hardcover. They split the Mirage trade into two volumes, but the main appeal to me is that I can finally get "City At War" collected, and those volumes will sit nicely on the shelf with the first 3 hardcover IDW volumes, making it a clean 1-5 volume set of all the Eastman/Laird turtle stories. Plus, these have annotations made specifically for these collections.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #1079
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Thank u guys for the info!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #1080
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"

I hope some comic enthusiasts can answer this:

Were can I buy a copy of Mirage Volume One #1 for relatively cheap? It doesn't have to be in great condition, I just need a copy. There's a copy on MileHighComics.com in Fine condition for $80. Is that the best I'm going to find?

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask a question, ban etsyturtle2, comic discussion, questions