The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #401
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
So you’re mad at WB for severing their relationship with the Rock after his movie lost them money?

That’s what you do when something fails. Especially if you’re the new head of the studio and had nothing to do with the project. Can’t blame Gunn for WB’s past.
I think Gunn will bring in a lot of talent. People want to work with him. Filmmakers feel they can trust another filmmaker way more than a “suit”.
Who are you talking to with this post? You didn't quote anyone, and if it was a response to what I wrote, what are you talking about!?!?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #402
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Like Snyder did? And what had happened with those talents?
You ARE a definition of "This is fine".
Are you comparing Snyder’s role in the DCEU to Gunn’s position as head of the studio? That would be odd.

And this is fine. Gunn has to be a better fit than the guys who rushed out JL2017 to get a bonus check and Hamada wasn’t looking great either. Not sure what you’re melting down about.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 03:55 PM   #403
Sumac
Emperor

Quote:
Are you comparing Snyder’s role in the DCEU to Gunn’s position as head of the studio? That would be odd.
Why? Snyder was supposed to lead DCCU in terms of both story and style. Gunn is supposed to do the same, with added responsibility of mapping future of CU.

Quote:
And this is fine. Gunn has to be a better fit than the guys who rushed out JL2017 to get a bonus check and Hamada wasn’t looking great either. Not sure what you’re melting down about.
Except for would be willing to give WB a benefit of the doubt, after shitshow of the last few years?
Old 12-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #404
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Why? Snyder was supposed to lead DCCU in terms of both story and style. Gunn is supposed to do the same, with added responsibility of mapping future of CU.

Except for would be willing to give WB a benefit of the doubt, after shitshow of the last few years?
1. Because they are completely different positions. Even when Snyder was taking the lead on the DCEU, he still answered to the studio heads. Gunn IS the studio head.

2. Anyone who was willing to give WB a chance a few months ago should be willing to now. There is actually someone in charge who has passion, a vision, and a clue, for the first time in… who knows how long.
I’m not saying WBD is in a great position but as of late they are finally shaping up. The people whose decisions you are upset with do not work there anymore.

It’s not like they just switched studio heads for the fifth time either. The actual owners of WBD changed. You can hate the previous leadership all you want, but they aren’t even there anymore, so why hold it against the current leadership?

It’s basically like hating your new neighbors simply because the old ones were a-holes. Same old address, completely new leadership.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #405
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is it in good hands? Gunn has only shown that he is into juvenile humor with ensemble casts of weird characters... and the last movie he did like that lost a ton of money. Peacemaker was OK, but just more of the same and hardly made a mark.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 04:17 PM   #406
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Is it in good hands? Gunn has only shown that he is into juvenile humor with ensemble casts of weird characters... and the last movie he did like that lost a ton of money. Peacemaker was OK, but just more of the same and hardly made a mark.
Well, he has also produced stuff like Brightburn. I think we are assuming too much if we think that everything in the DCU is going to feel like a James Gunn film.

I’ll say that hearing that he is writing Superman doesn’t excite me. If he ends up directing that, I’ll be curious but not initially excited. I don’t love any of his projects that I’ve seen.

But as a head of the studio, let’s remember who we are comparing him to. Do you want a passionate filmmaker who understands and respects the material as the head of the studio or do you want people like the guys who rushed out 2017 for a bonus check?

We are still going to get different directors and different tones to these films, I’m sure. But now they are going to answer to someone who has a big picture vision and an understanding of filmmaking.

Maybe Gunn gets way too hands-on and turns everything into a big ****-sucking laugh, but I just don’t see it.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:17 AM   #407
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Maybe Gunn gets way too hands-on and turns everything into a big ****-sucking laugh, but I just don’t see it.
Peacemaker exists.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 02:46 AM   #408
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Which brings up an interesting sidenote. Peacemaker season 2 is happening. In season 1 we saw both Ezra Miller Flash and Momoa Aquaman there with a blurry Superman and WW. Foreshadowing? How is any of this going to make sense?

I still think somehow Aquaman Momoa might survive and the core WW movies might survive.

Also... why exactly did the Rock make it a crusade to become buffer than ever for the part? And how dumb does he feel for it not making any difference?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-18-2022 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:20 AM   #409
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Peacemaker exists.
I’m not sure you understand that he is not writing & directing all of these movies. He wrote all of Peacemaker and directed most of it.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:04 AM   #410
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's an interesting situation in that WB wanted to find their own Feige and landed on Gunn, who IS a filmmaker. Kevin Feige is not a filmmaker. He is a super talented and multitasking producer and showrunner on a huge scale. But it's not like Kevin Feige was writing the script for Iron Man.

Which is the interesting part. Imagine if he had. If Kevin Feige wrote the script for Iron Man 1, and then shopped it around to directors who he'd hope to attract as hired guns. To start out the MCU. Because that's what happening with Superman.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #411
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Which brings up an interesting sidenote. Peacemaker season 2 is happening. In season 1 we saw both Ezra Miller Flash and Momoa Aquaman there with a blurry Superman and WW. Foreshadowing? How is any of this going to make sense?
My gut feeling is Gunn will get Peacemaker season 2 out in 2023/2024 with the first reboot films arriving in 2025.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:19 PM   #412
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Rock turned down a Black Adam cameo in Shazam 2.

https://screenrant.com/shazan-2-dway...ck-adam-cameo/

That's a great way to not get people excited about the one place we might ever see his Black Adam again, at this point.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-20-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #413
Sumac
Emperor

Rock burns bridges with DC?
Old 01-07-2023, 07:50 PM   #414
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So the Rock's takeaway from Black Adam is that he discovered that he's even more awesome than he thought.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/dwayne-...-adam-failure/
Old 01-07-2023, 08:20 PM   #415
IMJ
Emperor

The rock is in a deepening spiral of overcompensation in his public announcements that I'm pretty sure began the minute he first said "the hierarchy of power, bla bla bla"
Old 01-07-2023, 09:51 PM   #416
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Poor dude still thinks he's cutting promos in WWE and that they mean anything in real life.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #417
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Sounds like Shazam 2 has a marketing (budget?) problem:
https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-disc...lure-shazam-2/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:12 PM   #418
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Sounds like Shazam 2 has a marketing (budget?) problem:
https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-disc...lure-shazam-2/
I wouldn't doubt it. They'll want to make their money back but they don't want to milk the box office so that there's no argument to be made for a 3rd movie. Either that or even more likely, it's probably a "cut your losses" move for a movie that has absolutely zero hype behind it.