The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #41
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Treverrow's latest movie (Book of Henry) is getting trashed by critics and early viewers with many saying Star Wars fans should be very worried with him at the helm of IX.

It's probably too late to make a change but I've got my fingers crossed they'll do something if there is enough negative backlash.

Why did they have to pick him for this movie?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Treverrow's latest movie (Book of Henry) is getting trashed by critics and advanced viewers with many saying Star Wars fans should be very worried with him at the helm of IX.

It's probably too late to make a change
I think Episode IX is technically about as far along as Boba Fett was when Josh Trank was fired from it.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #43
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Treverrow's latest movie (Book of Henry) is getting trashed by critics and early viewers with many saying Star Wars fans should be very worried with him at the helm of IX.

It's probably too late to make a change but I've got my fingers crossed they'll do something if there is enough negative backlash.

Why did they have to pick him for this movie?
I doubt that a movie that he made outside the studio system would have any affect in Episode 9, besides, Lucasfilm and Disney will make sure that Episode 9 is good, which is why you have those reshoots happening, its usually to fix some problems in the production.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #44
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I doubt that a movie that he made outside the studio system would have any affect in Episode 9
Tell that to Josh Trank
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #45
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Tell that to Josh Trank
Yeah, but Trank was a personal trainwreck about it. How has Trevorrow handled things?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #46
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I kinda feel like Trevorrow will be working in a box with episode IX - Disney undoubtedly has a very clear idea of how they want the story to go, probably with specifics in mind. If Book of Henry sucks, then that's one highly original tale of his own design that flopped as opposed to Jurassic World (which I thought was pretty good) which made a billion dollars and stayed close to formula. The odds are still in Colin's favor.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #47
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I kinda feel like Trevorrow will be working in a box with episode IX - Disney undoubtedly has a very clear idea of how they want the story to go, probably with specifics in mind. If Book of Henry sucks, then that's one highly original tale of his own design that flopped as opposed to Jurassic World (which I thought was pretty good) which made a billion dollars and stayed close to formula. The odds are still in Colin's favor.
Oh, I forgot about Jurassic World... excellent counterpoint.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Oh, I forgot about Jurassic World...
It's okay. Most of us did, too.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #49
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Also keep in mind that Spielberg was a producer in that, I'm sure he went to great length to make sure that Jurassic World ended up being good, and it actually came out good.

Perhaps its just that Trevorrow didnt do well when he was writing and directing his own stuff, but when he plays on someone else backward, he seems to do well.

I'm sure Lucasfilm has approved everything that's written to make sure it meets there standards.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #50
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

It's doubtful they'd remove Trevorrow like they did Trank. People seem to like him as a person unlike Trank. He was able to pull off a successful tentpole movie (financially) within the studio's parameters unlike Trank. He's got Spielberg and Frank Marshall championing him to their friend/wife Kathy Kennedy. He doesn't have Simon Kinberg snitching on him to Lucasfilm like Trank did.

It's just so weird to me that they'd go with him for IX after hiring RJ for XIII.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #51
Vegita-San
Emperor

I have no hope for modern day star wars no matter who is directing, so long as the femenist is in charge of the company. (note, this is my opinion, i am free to express it ;o) )

I'll probably see episode 8, but i'm in no rush to get around to it. rebels was a bit of a boring dissapointment, episode 7 went in all the wrong directions. I don't like what i'm hearing about 8....and Rogue one was the biggest waste of film to get to the last 10 minutes that ever existed.

to me, the Star wars saga ended with the last EU book.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I have no hope for modern day star wars no matter who is directing, so long as the femenist is in charge of the company. (note, this is my opinion, i am free to express it ;o) ).
LOL, who cares? I'd rather see a female protagonist than another boring male Jedi who would just be a Luke or Anakin clone in terms of personality. Even Finn isn't that interesting beyond, "funny comic relief black guy" that his character seems to have been pigeonholed into.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
LOL, who cares? I'd rather see a female protagonist than another boring male Jedi who would just be a Luke or Anakin clone in terms of personality.
Funny, one of the rumors circulating around is that Rey IS an Anakin clone.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #54
sdp
-

Ironically Kathleen Kennedy, the women you call feminist was attacked by SJWs for being so "unfair" to women You can't win with them.

Disney Star Wars has a lot of problems but I don't think Social Justice is the problem, I like Rey but not Episode VII and I don't care for Rogue one but not because of the protagonist, it's just not a story I want. And as of now I just don't like the decisions Disney is taking.

There is a bit of Social Justice bullsh-t in a star wars novel that uses "gender neutral" pronouns:
Spoiler:

But whatever, if I boycott Star Wars it won't be because of that but because they keep milking the OT to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Funny, one of the rumors circulating around is that Rey IS an Anakin clone.
Could the sequel trilogy be considered a second clone wars since it's cloning the OT?

Last edited by sdp; 06-15-2017 at 02:00 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Could the sequel trilogy be considered a second clone wars since it's cloning the OT?
We'll see how it shakes out. Really, Episode 8 is the last bastion. They no longer can hide behind the nonense "We HAD to make 7 really like ANH because the fans/we had to restore the good will from everyone mad about the prequels!" business this time. 8, it's... they're actually going to make a new SW movie this time out, or they'll be fully revealed as hacks of the worst kind.

That 8 teaser trailer doesn't really instill hope at all, though. Look! A big Walker battle where the "Rebels" are using tiny little ships to fight them, I wonder what other movie we've seen that in. More Millennium Falcon swooping around, fighting regular TIE-Fighters again.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
We'll see how it shakes out. Really, Episode 8 is the last bastion. They no longer can hide behind the nonense "We HAD to make 7 really like ANH because the fans/we had to restore the good will from everyone mad about the prequels!" business this time. 8, it's... they're actually going to make a new SW movie this time out, or they'll be fully revealed as hacks of the worst kind.

That 8 teaser trailer doesn't really instill hope at all, though. Look! A big Walker battle where the "Rebels" are using tiny little ships to fight them, I wonder what other movie we've seen that in. More Millennium Falcon swooping around, fighting regular TIE-Fighters again.
A lot of relaunched big-name sci-fi franchises are all overtly retreads these days: Star Trek, Star Wars, Terminator, Alien... it doesn't make sense to me that with proven bankable franchises with built-in sizable fanbases, that the filmmakers aren't willing to take more changes and do original exciting new things with the franchise.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #57
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Ironically Kathleen Kennedy, the women you call feminist was attacked by SJWs for being so "unfair" to women You can't win with them.

But whatever, if I boycott Star Wars it won't be because of that but because they keep milking the OT to death.

the top part. sadly, yep. which is why when you try to cater to them, the franchise will always fail. hopefully someone with brains will realize this and undo the damage done already...

for the bottom, this this and THIS. all they've done is stick in the new hope timeline. even episode 7 is nothing but call backs and retreads. episode 8 seems like it's following the ESB narrative.

sigh. no originality anymore.

say what you will about the prequels. but at least it felt like they expanded the universe.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #58
Xav
Foot Elite

Mark Hamill: I 'fundamentally disagree with every choice' for Luke in The Last Jedii
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:36 PM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It's doubtful they'd remove Trevorrow like they did Trank. People seem to like him as a person unlike Trank. He was able to pull off a successful tentpole movie (financially) within the studio's parameters unlike Trank. He's got Spielberg and Frank Marshall championing him to their friend/wife Kathy Kennedy. He doesn't have Simon Kinberg snitching on him to Lucasfilm like Trank did.
lol... yes, that's like exactly what happened. Exactly. "Simon Kinberg" just sounds like a snitch, too.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #60
snake
Disgusting

I hope Trevvorow gets Tranked and replaced by Filoni. Or George. Or someone who has business being on a Star Wars movie.

EDIT- Now I'm upset. I can't find my old TFA rant that I posted in the Female Ghostbusters Thread. Must've gotten deleted.

Last edited by snake; 06-15-2017 at 11:50 PM.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote