The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What did you prefer as a child: Turtle Variants or Original Characters?
Turtle Variants 11 20.00%
Original Characters 44 80.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, weird can mean "off-putting" to a degree but it doesn't automatically translate to "sh*tty".

*I* would say they were sh*tty but I wouldn't dance around it, I'd just come right out and say it because that's the special kinda guy I am.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #22
mikey0
Foot Elite

Weird as in odd. Children of the 1990s did not expect to see the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles dressed like policemen, farmers, wrestlers, clowns, dwarfs, and etc..
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Nor should they have, those were awful ideas done for no reason other than the fact that kids would buy anything with the TMNT logo on it.

It's like ordering a pizza and the delivery guy shows up and slaps you with a frozen cod. "Hah! You never expected that, isn't that awesome?!" "No, why would I ever have expected something so ridiculous?"

Last edited by Leo656; 07-22-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #24
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Weird as in odd. Children of the 1990s did not expect to see the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles dressed like policemen, farmers, wrestlers, clowns, dwarfs, and etc..
But teenaged turtles, mutated by a secret ooze and trained to be ninjas by a giant rat, aren't weird?

Look, I loved the variants and still do. You don't have to--that's fine. But the article you linked was not disparaging those figures. All it pretty much said was that, if you were a kid at the time, either you or someone you knew had them.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #25
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
But teenaged turtles, mutated by a secret ooze and trained to be ninjas by a giant rat, aren't weird?

Look, I loved the variants and still do. You don't have to--that's fine. But the article you linked was not disparaging those figures. All it pretty much said was that, if you were a kid at the time, either you or someone you knew had them.
Christopher Hudspeth could have called them costumed turtles. I see it as downgrading the turtle variants.

The disguised turtles and Undercover Turtles were the best themed turtles out of them all. From my POV, Playmates went overboard with the Sewer Sports All Stars, Rock N Rollin Turtles, Mutant Miltary Turtles, and etc. etc..

Last edited by mikey0; 07-22-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

The one and only variant I had was the Shogun Leo or whatever it was. And I didn't ask for it, I got it for Christmas. And at least it was thematically acceptable.

I mean I kinda get why some people get a kick out of that kinda thing, but to me, it was always like "Great, one less New Character they could've made." As a kid, I didn't fully understand why you HAD to put a new version of the Main Characters in a toy line out in every single wave, I didn't know or care about the business side of it. I was just like "Man, I'd love it if they made a ______ figure, but instead, there's this Turtle dressed up like a goalie and this other one dressed up like a vampire. I don't care about this."

I mean, I had several He-Man variants as a kid, but at least his variant figures were storyline-compatible, like new armor or something. I never had a problem with that kinda thing in any line. I generally never cared for "wacky" things. If they'd done more Turtles that actually made sense for their "universe", that would've been fine and I may have picked up a few.

The entire reason I quit collecting the original TMNT line, was that it got to a point where you'd go to Kaybee or Toys R Us and there'd be NO new characters, sometimes, just dozens of these "crazy" Turtle Trolls and whatever else. The last TMNT figure I bought off the rack from that line was the Super-Shredder, which was a revelation compared to everything else on the pegs at the time, but after that I was done, I didn't even pay attention anymore.

It was so blatantly a "Quick! More Product!" type of thing that even as a kid I felt offended by it, given how they clearly expected kids to ask for absolutely anything with the logo on it. Again, if people got off on that, that's fine, I just don't understand it. In ANY toy line, there's always characters who should be made, but never are, so I actually have a real resentment for variants as a personal rule. I would ALWAYS prefer more new characters. I know that they "have" to do variants in any line, but when they do I prefer they not go so far "off-script".

Old 07-23-2020, 06:32 AM   #27
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
In ANY toy line, there's always characters who should be made, but never are, so I actually have a real resentment for variants as a personal rule. I would ALWAYS prefer more new characters. I know that they "have" to do variants in any line, but when they do I prefer they not go so far "off-script".
In a way, I did view them as new characters. When my friends and I played with our turtles, we had massive wars with different bases and we definitely used multiple Leos or Mikes or whatever. We never really acted out the cartoon, so maybe that's why it didn't matter than several of the same turtle were fighting alongside one another.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #28
AquaParade
Banned

Playing with figures was the best. Although for me and my friends or cousins, the best part was really the team draft and setting up of a base. From there, it usually went to crap, but that?s okay.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #29
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Playing with figures was the best. Although for me and my friends or cousins, the best part was really the team draft and setting up of a base. From there, it usually went to crap, but that?s okay.
Who was your most-frequent #1 draft pick?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #30
Obbie
Thug

the only variants that I had and were ever interested in were the Disguised Turtles, Storage Shell Donny, and the first 2 waves of Wacky Action.. I only had and played with the 1988-1990 toys.
Obbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #31
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Granted I was very young when the original toyline was out but while I loved original mutants I just had a ******** of turtle variants, especially of Raph. I don't even know why when I played I rarely used most of the variants and the ones that did get a lot of play they were "cousins" of the turtles who joined in to help.

It's the only toyline I did that for, I hated variants in pretty much every other toyline and hated that I couldn't find a decent Batman in original colors for the B:TAS toyline since I could only find variants in stores.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #32
mikey0
Foot Elite

Most people prefer the basic versions of the turtles to the variants.
Case in point: https://io9.gizmodo.com/21-ridiculou...tan-1844254103
Old 07-24-2020, 05:31 AM   #33
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Most people prefer the basic versions of the turtles to the variants.
Case in point: https://io9.gizmodo.com/21-ridiculou...tan-1844254103
Because a snarky, clickbait article ridicules some of the variants? Look, I've said it before: you can like what you like, just as others can. This isn't some kind of contest. Maybe more people like chocolate ice cream than cotton candy--doesn't mean people are wrong for liking cotton candy. This is such a bizarre hill you're creating and protecting.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #34
Powder
So tired of this place

His fixation is not neurotypical, probably got some issues.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #35
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I thought there was a strict "Don't need 30x versions of the Turtles get a secondary character" rule as a kid, but my Mom claims that was never really a thing, and I did have some Turtle variants: Trolls, The Marble shooters, the Movie Stars, some odds and ends Raphs (like Toon Raph, but didn't he come with the Toon Cycle?, and Mutant Mech with Mini Raph) and I'm sure I had the Undercover Don they released with the cloth trenchcoat....but I didn't have some of the sillier variants, and never much cared for them. To each their own, though.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #36
Garfield
Hench Mutant

As a kid My favorite figure was the 1988 Raph. and I had a special place for the originals, Maybe I thought more highly of the Moviestar turtles I can't remember the specifics. but I was never a snob against the variants. Those wacky variants are some of my most favorite things about TMNT. Looking back many of those variants make better toys than the original 1988 Turtles.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #37
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Who was your most-frequent #1 draft pick?
That's a fun question, thanks for asking.

I can't recall, which means it probably shifted by what my newest figure was. I imagine some variation of a ninja turtle most of the time.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #38
miru
Mad Scientist

I was go for original characters, and very much not keen on variants, especially slightly oversized ones. Then again, not every character they added to the line was of sufficient quality, either.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #39
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

As a kid I always played with the original first wave of figures - standard Turtles as they "appeared" in the cartoon. Never used the variants in my gameplay.

However, as I was lucky enough to have the first wave by the time my first turtles christmas and birthday were out the way, I would always pick variants if I was allowed an action figure whilst out shopping with my parents.

My favourite variant wave was Shogan Leo, Surfer Mike, Space Cadet Raph and Trenchcoat Don. With Surfer Mike my favourite.

Also firm favourite other mutants were Mondo Gecko, Slash and Napoleon Bonafrog.

Didn't care for many future wave variants. Turtles or other mutants.

To this day still want Ray Fillet but still waiting for a good deal on eBay...

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #40
Marm O. Set
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
...turtle variant figures... I found them so much less interesting than the original mutant figures...
Ditto. I avoided them at all cost. However, as an adult, I actually REALLY LIKE the oddball turtles. The 1992 Wacky Wild West and Bodacious Birthday lines are so crazy that they have become some of my favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Did ANYONE like the Turtle Variants as a kid?
In my experience, NO. Everyone hated them and only got them because they were "good enough" replacements for the original turtles that you could never find.

Quote:
Some of the best turtle variants were the ones that resembled the original turtle figures like the Head Droppin Turtles and Wacky Action figures.
100% agreed. I couldn't find Leonardo forever and had acceptable alternatives mapped out in my head. Storage shell or Headdroppin' Leo were "good enough" if I was ever willing to give up the search for Leo. In the end, I convinced my friend to sell me his original Leo so crisis averted haha!

Quote:
..I see it as downgrading the turtle variants...
In 1991 I would absolutely have agreed. I see things with different eyes as an adult.
Marm O. Set is offline   Reply With Quote