The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #581
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Is it just me that doesn't really care what April's hair looks like? Whether it's red or not, what her race/ethnicity is and especially if she wears yellow. Heck I'd probably prefer they avoided any prominent yellow in her wardrobe completely.
No, I agree with this. It may have been a missed opportunity but the less each version takes cues from the OT, the better.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #582
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It is however funny, at least to me, that the actress with the least April-like portrayal, that I personally could never believe was April while watching those films, ironically looks so much like one of the earliest versions (sans Mirage) in a completely unrelated film.

I mean, no, they don't have to pull from the OT version for a film. On the other hand though, there is only so far you can go outside of the general basic description of an establish character before you, say, just end up with what looks like the PD Turtles having befriended Megan Fox instead. And probably partly because she was already too recognizable, so not bothering with the aesthetics at all ends up looking like zero effort.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #583
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Heck I'd probably prefer they avoided any prominent yellow in her wardrobe completely.
The yellow thing never ceases to annoy me. They put her in a yellow jumpsuit for a children's cartoon once, now everyone and their mom makes it like her favorite color, that she lives and breathes and makes sure is in any wardrobe she wears.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #584
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hadn't heard of The Battle Of Jangsari until today, but it does look like an interesting film. Wonder how Megan Fox got tapped for a role in a semi-obscure Korean film?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #585
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
When asked what they were working on next, Form replied: “Jack Ryan Season 2 [on Amazon] just wrapped, the sequel of A Quiet Place, and we’re doing a reboot of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at Paramount…That is looking like production by the end of the year.”
This was around January 2019.

Really makes me wonder what is cooking over there. I'm guessing they've been tinkering with the script quite a bit, and hopefully trying to find the right tone.

They need to just hire someone creative and let them be creative. Give them a relatively small budget and get off their back. Let indie credibilities infect the TMNT once more. Worked for the comic. Worked for the first movie. Worked for Joker and Hollywood loves to copy a formula.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #586
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

Really makes me wonder what is cooking over there. I'm guessing they've been tinkering with the script quite a bit, and hopefully trying to find the right tone.

They need to just hire someone creative and let them be creative. Give them a relatively small budget and get off their back. Let indie credibilities infect the TMNT once more. Worked for the comic. Worked for the first movie. Worked for Joker and Hollywood loves to copy a formula.
They are also gonna have to recast the Turtles. Don't know if the actors want to put up with what they been through. Since Alan Ritchson who played Raph had a really bad experience making the movies. So its safe to say that Raph will get recast.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #587
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
They are also gonna have to recast the Turtles. Don't know if the actors want to put up with what they been through. Since Alan Ritchson who played Raph had a really bad experience making the movies. So its safe to say that Raph will get recast.
Yeah, I agree 100% and think it’s safe to say nothing but a complete reboot will suffice.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #588
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
As soon as this became a reboot there was 0 chance they were keeping any of the cast.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #589
neatoman
Emperor

So is anyone feeling this is taking a while? I know the 2014 movie was delayed by two years, but that was mainly because Bay revealed the alien origin which lead to the development of an entirely different script when they got ridiculed for it. I can't help but wonder what happened this time.

I mean what? Did they spend the first year writing a script where April was a half-utro.... Where Karai turned into a sna... Where Leo gave blood to a hum... Where it's a mutated wastela... Where Splinter is killed three tim... Where there's Yokai underg... Where animal ancest... No, that last one was PD's last disaster...

Can anyone figure out something that is not quite as dumb as the alien origin, yet clearly dumber than the misteps of the last decade?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #590
AquaParade
Banned

Hopefully it is because they are taking the time to get it right. They've learned that with incompetence, they can potentially lose money on this franchise.
They were on a downhill trajectory with the last one.

I'm comforted by the fact that they tossed Kevin Eastman aside last time and failed miserably. It allows a chance for them to heed Kevin's warning that the hardcore fans wont support a poor product.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #591
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

That would be really nice.

As much as I keep hoping that we'll hear a little something one day soon, at least enough to know it's still on the table, it's for the best, I hope, that they aren't rushing it. Would have been fun to have a 'currently in production' film to be discussing had it started shooting before the end of 2019 as they'd initially estimated, but...

Though I do wonder how long they'll hide it, in fear of opinionated fans after how it went with 2014. lol Unless they've got the good sense this time to try to come up with a quality product they can be confident in putting some info out there a lot sooner than they did with 2014. But gotta tread lightly, I guess, this fandom is like a pool of sharks. Or angry alligator snappers to be more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Can anyone figure out something that is not quite as dumb as the alien origin, yet clearly dumber than the misteps of the last decade?
Uhhhhhhhhh........ hm. No. But lord knows PD could think of it.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #592
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

They can recast everyone else except for Bebop and Rocksteady. The two actors they had were perfect enough.

They should reboot. But not redo the origin again. Instead Retcon the entire thing so that the stuff that happened before never happened. Look at it as a different TMNT universe.

Take a page of the DCEU playbook and do an Elseworlds type of thing with the next movie. The audiences know well enough there origin. So we don't have to explain it all over again. Just do a new story with the Turtles already established.

Also hire better actors to play the villains. Actually show Shredder fighting. And on top of that. Show Karai doing actual fighting as well.

They should higher whoever the Stunt Team is for the Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot. We needs some actually good martial arts in this movie.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #593
neatoman
Emperor

Uh, yeah, about that... Can we please just accept that Bebop and Rocksteady:
  1. Are not very compelling characters at their core.
  2. Tend to be depicted in a really annoying way.
  3. Are not in any way, shape or form "essential" to TMNT.
  4. Do not need to be in a movie.
  5. If used in a movie at all, ought to be given the role of barely important obstacles, a few fight scenes and next to no focus beyond that.
  6. Could be ignored in favor of far better characters.
  7. In PD's depiction of them were a horrible addition that made the movie even worse than it needed to be.
  8. Were only ever decent in the IDW series and the central joke there is that nobody wants them around.
  9. That even after 33 years, they were basically only ever important in the Fred Wolf cartoon. Archie basically got rid of them ASAP, they're only in about 15% of the IDW series and in the Nick show they didn't appear until after the cracks were too obvious to ignore. In anything else they're basically absent.
Hahahaha!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #594
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I had this vision in my head for a Live Action TMNT Movie set in Mutant Town from the IDW Comics.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #595
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I had this vision in my head for a Live Action TMNT Movie set in Mutant Town from the IDW Comics.
I think it's better to let that concept breathe a little and work out the kinks before we start thinking about adaptation. It's a little too... Off brand?
Hahahaha!
Old 01-23-2020, 03:18 AM   #596
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
As soon as this became a reboot there was 0 chance they were keeping any of the cast.
Problem is that the term "reboot" has been misused so much by everyone from audiences to the entertainment industry itself, that it has lost its meaning.

So until a synopsis with cast list and/or a trailer hits, we can't be sure that the new film won't be a continuation of the previous two, with the difference that the turtles have given up crime fighting to set up a shawarma stand in Ibiza.

Play! * Follow! * Support!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #597
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
with the difference that the turtles have given up crime fighting to set up a shawarma stand in Ibiza.
Literal LOL. Terrible. Now I want this for just a minute.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #598
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Problem is that the term "reboot" has been misused so much by everyone from audiences to the entertainment industry itself, that it has lost its meaning.

So until a synopsis with cast list and/or a trailer hits, we can't be sure that the new film won't be a continuation of the previous two, with the difference that the turtles have given up crime fighting to set up a shawarma stand in Ibiza.
At best it would be a soft reboot... i.e., the first two movies could have happened but they don't refer to them and that's it. But I doubt it. They lost a lot of money with the last one so they'd most likely be keen to cleanse the palate.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #599
Sumac
Banned

My biggest hope for new movie is that they change Turtles designs.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #600
AquaParade
Banned

It's gonna be a total reboot y'all. New designs, new actors, new concepts. They know they air-balled hard.

They've literally been pinballing back and forth due to fan feedback since before their first TMNT film.

The alien concept leaked and faced backlash so they General-Schradered it.
Fans found out that a caucasian man was playing Shredder - boom. Schradered.
The First film faced backlash for not being close enough to the source material, from all sides of fandom. Darker tone Schradered in favor of something closer to the original cartoon. Something they thought would please fans.

Now that has failed too. I believe they are highly aware that they need to start from scratch, given the mess they've made. For us, it's just another toss up. Crossing our fingers for snake eyes on a twelve-sided die.

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence