The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #81
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

The biggest missed opportunity for me was Tiger Claw's potential character arc. I know I wasn't the only one seeing foreshadowing for Tiger Claw betraying Shredder starting at the end of Season 2. It was one of the only parts of Season 3 that got me somewhat excited.

Think of it, starting with Vengeance is Mine, where Tiger Claw is in disbelief that Shredder would put his own daughter's life on the line in the name of revenge ("You are more ruthless than I thought... mutating your own cub..!"), and then talking back, defying Shredder even, after Karai is mutated. You don't see him again until the opening scene of The Invasion, where we get another sign of Shredder's increased obsession and even insanity ("Nor do I (care for the human race)"). In the same scene, we see Tiger Claw thinking outwardly once again.

As the show continued, we saw relatively little of Tiger Claw in Season 3, but his two biggest roles certainly continued this trend. In Return to New York, he questioned Shredder as to why their alliance with The Kraang continued after their enemies were defeated, and in a rather alarmed tone. Finally, in Annihilation: Earth, after Shredder killed Splinter in favor of saving the world from being sucked into a black hole, Tiger Claw blatantly calls him out on it ("Shredder! What have you done?!").

Now, obviously, because of the way the series played out, those final events of Annihilation: Earth didn't even happen, and so Tiger Claw being pushed to the edge at that point didn't really happen. But all the foreshadowing before was still there.

I could just be seeing things that aren't there, but this sounds a lot like foreshadowing a plotline where Tiger Claw gradually realizes Shredder's increasing obsession and insanity and betrays/leaves him, still, however, an enemy of the Turtles. But clearly, in Season 4, he acted more like a mindless servant to Shredder and in Season 5 is trying to bring him back from the dead. Completely missed potential for a great plotline that could've made Tiger Claw an especially unforgettable character.

Also, unpopular opinion that really is just a nitpick, but they missed out on the opportunity to recast Leo as ANYONE but Seth Green.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #82
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
The biggest missed opportunity for me was Tiger Claw's potential character arc. I know I wasn't the only one seeing foreshadowing for Tiger Claw betraying Shredder starting at the end of Season 2. It was one of the only parts of Season 3 that got me somewhat excited.

Think of it, starting with Vengeance is Mine, where Tiger Claw is in disbelief that Shredder would put his own daughter's life on the line in the name of revenge ("You are more ruthless than I thought... mutating your own cub..!"), and then talking back, defying Shredder even, after Karai is mutated. You don't see him again until the opening scene of The Invasion, where we get another sign of Shredder's increased obsession and even insanity ("Nor do I (care for the human race)"). In the same scene, we see Tiger Claw thinking outwardly once again.

As the show continued, we saw relatively little of Tiger Claw in Season 3, but his two biggest roles certainly continued this trend. In Return to New York, he questioned Shredder as to why their alliance with The Kraang continued after their enemies were defeated, and in a rather alarmed tone. Finally, in Annihilation: Earth, after Shredder killed Splinter in favor of saving the world from being sucked into a black hole, Tiger Claw blatantly calls him out on it ("Shredder! What have you done?!").

Now, obviously, because of the way the series played out, those final events of Annihilation: Earth didn't even happen, and so Tiger Claw being pushed to the edge at that point didn't really happen. But all the foreshadowing before was still there.

I could just be seeing things that aren't there, but this sounds a lot like foreshadowing a plotline where Tiger Claw gradually realizes Shredder's increasing obsession and insanity and betrays/leaves him, still, however, an enemy of the Turtles. But clearly, in Season 4, he acted more like a mindless servant to Shredder and in Season 5 is trying to bring him back from the dead. Completely missed potential for a great plotline that could've made Tiger Claw an especially unforgettable character.

Also, unpopular opinion that really is just a nitpick, but they missed out on the opportunity to recast Leo as ANYONE but Seth Green.
Honestly thats one of my problems with this series is that a lot of the villains show a lot of promise and potential but end up being underused. Xever was a character with a lot of personality and had a rivalry with Raph that both had aspects of understanding and contempt but was later underused after season 1, Baxter showed that he could work independent in Baxter's Gambit and could be this series's Arcade but was later turned into one of Shredder's b%tches. Hell Bradford probably has an interesting history with the Shredder but we never got to see that.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #83
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Honestly thats one of my problems with this series is that a lot of the villains show a lot of promise and potential but end up being underused. Xever was a character with a lot of personality and had a rivalry with Raph that both had aspects of understanding and contempt but was later underused after season 1, Baxter showed that he could work independent in Baxter's Gambit and could be this series's Arcade but was later turned into one of Shredder's b%tches. Hell Bradford probably has an interesting history with the Shredder but we never got to see that.
I agree with this. I was definitely expecting more with Tigerclaw and his eventual turn on Shredder after realizing he wasn't all that stable. I also expected more with Xever.

As for Baxter he really seemed to develop Stockholm Syndrome...or should I say, "Stockman" Syndrome?

*dodges rotten fruit being thrown *
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #84
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I agree with this. I was definitely expecting more with Tigerclaw and his eventual turn on Shredder after realizing he wasn't all that stable. I also expected more with Xever.

As for Baxter he really seemed to develop Stockholm Syndrome...or should I say, "Stockman" Syndrome?

*dodges rotten fruit being thrown *
Same here. The lack of delivery on what seemed a promise on the villains was the thing that started my declining interest in this show. So much potential, and then... nothing. I mean, half of the fun is watching the Turtles go up against dangerous and interesting villains, because all that eventually happened was that they went against guys who were reduced to generic monster henchmen with little personality beyond serving the Shredder.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #85
ToTheNines
[sic]

Oh I got one. The bigger of the 3 Purple Dragons name is Sid. I thought they were gonna have him be Casey's infamous cousin from the comics. But they didn't.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #86
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Oh I got one. The bigger of the 3 Purple Dragons name is Sid. I thought they were gonna have him be Casey's infamous cousin from the comics. But they didn't.
So Casey is part asian?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #87
ToTheNines
[sic]

No, but Sid could have been half.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #88
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Gecko View Post
Hey guys,
- I wish that more characters appeared such as Ace Duck (who has been a personal fav), Jagwar, Dreadmon, Man Ray, Maligna, Null, The Uncanny Trio, Shaun O'Hair, Al'falqua, Katmandu, Golani, Scumbug, Dirtbag, Groundchuck, Bookworm, Verminator X, Vid Vicious, Stump & Sling, Cudley the Cowlick.

- I wish that this series adapted more Archie. It's great we got Armaggon. But where was the powerful mutant shark I knew and loved from the comics? I would have loved to see a Dimension X arc with Kraang, Utoms, Dregg and Maligna battling it out. You have thirteen episodes in space and you don't use Stump Asteroid, Stump and Sling and Cudley the Cowlick? I loved how Archie explored the world. The world building was really spectacular, we could have gone to South America and met Jagwar and Dreadmon, Japan and explored more of Saki and Yoshi and met the Warrior Dragon, explored more of Tiger Claw and Alopex. And so much more!

- To stop with all the homages. In season 3, it felt every episode was a nod to some movie. One or two here and there are fine but not every episode.

- To stop using names if you're going to use a new character. One of my biggest gripes is getting Rahzar, Tokka, Neurtonios, Bellybomb, Mondo Gecko, Armaggon and many others. So many times, I would be watching this and go that's not the Nuetrionos, that's not Armaggon, that's not Bellybomb, Mondo Gecko wouldn't act that way. I'd be much better if they just created new characters instead.
I agree with all of these. Although, I think Nick Armaggon and Bellybomb were close enough to their Archie versions (Mondo would be too, if he had Candy Fine, I think having a GF added a much needed dimension to his character), and I like Nick Slash, Wingnut, and Screwloose even if I prefer the Archie versions.

It's a real shame that the Archie series is so overlooked. I'd say it defined the "classic era" of TMNT just as much as the Mirage comics and FW show. I mean think about all the classic characters, concepts, and images that are iconic to the franchise as a whole, but either didn't exist or barely existed in either Mirage or FW. Man Ray, Wingnut and Screwloose, Stump Wrestling costumes, Maligna, The Turnstone, Cudley, to name a few.

I mean Mirage was the original source material, but back then it was always kept separate from the rest of the franchise (I guess to keep it "pure" of cartoon influence). And, FW was the best known, but only because TV shows simply reach more people than comic books, and the Mirage crew didn't play that big a part in it. But, judging by how much all the magazine comics, newspaper strips, and website character profiles took their cues from Archie, it seems like that was the "main" continuity for the "kid's toy franchise" side of TMNT.

Anyway, I also wish the nick show could have put the mutants and aliens aside more often and had more "down to earth" urban martial arts storylines. And, I wish they kept the foot clan human longer instead of letting it all turn to mutants and robots.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #89
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't want to spoil anything, but it seems like Tiger Claw and Fishface are getting development in this season.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #90
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Here's a one I thought about while re-watching the Super Shredder storyarc.

WARNING: Major spoilers... and not just for this show.

What if instead of Splinter dying from being stabbed by Shredder exactly the same way it happened at the end of season 3, Splinter died of heart failure or being over stressed from the fight? I know it's cliche, but I feel like it would've made a lot more sense. Plus hey it worked in this iconic scene from Smallville:

Of course they would've had to established throughout the show that Splinter was having similar health issues as it was with Jonathan Kent.

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 03-29-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #91
MarsicornYT
Foot Soldier

I would have loved it if the foot elite ninjas were not robots.
MarsicornYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
I mean Mirage was the original source material, but back then it was always kept separate from the rest of the franchise (I guess to keep it "pure" of cartoon influence).
"Insulated" from the rest of the franchise is a better way to look at it.

Though I would have loved to have seen an Archie/Mirage crossover at one point. That was even the plan once, Laird had some covers from it he posted a long while back. Another missed opportunity.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #93
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Insulated" from the rest of the franchise is a better way to look at it.

Though I would have loved to have seen an Archie/Mirage crossover at one point. That was even the plan once, Laird had some covers from it he posted a long while back. Another missed opportunity.
.... how would that have went down?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:34 AM   #94
2K3
Foot Soldier

After re-watching the four seasons of TMNT 2012, my biggest gripe is that something went wrong after all the Season 1 writers left.. No offence to Brandon Auman and other writers, but outside of episodes written by Nicole Dubac, Christopher Yost, and Greg Weisman, some of the episodes felt too episodic and less connected to a main plot, and if it did something felt missing.

I'd have loved for the following plot-lines to have been explored:

1) More mystery to April's Mother and the family's connection to the Kraang.
2) More episodes focused on Rahzar and Fishface, who just seemed to vanish pass Season 2.
3) Tiger Claw's backstory should have been explored sooner, and his loyalty to the Shredder should have been tested in Season 4, especially considering his disgust in Saki killing Splinter and dooming everyone.
4) The Mighty Mutanimals should have been introduced sooner in my opinion; I think the events of "Metalhead Rewired" in Season 2 would have been the perfect introduction to the team (as most of them were kidnapped by the Kraang). Plus, Mutagen Man should join the team (I mean, they're not doing anything with him).
5) Certain Story arcs, such as Karai's Mutation, Northampton, and Turtles in Space went on for too long and should have been shortened down.
6) Less homages to past characters in other series; I was cool with Bebop and Rocksteady, the Mutanimals and Muckman I was cool with... but the Punk Frogs, Shredder Mutants, Neutrinos, Wingnut and Screwloose served no purpose but to just say "Remember these characters".
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #95
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3 View Post

I'd have loved for the following plot-lines to have been explored:

1) More mystery to April's Mother and the family's connection to the Kraang.
Its kinda weird that during seasons 1 & 2 April's backstory was treated as this big thing but after the Northampton arc the writers just forgot about it and instead gave April new powers.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #96
CyberCubed
Overlord

April's powers were literally the result of that backstory. It's been a while since I've watched those episodes so I may not be remembering everything, but I'm pretty sure the first time she used her powers it was directly related to her Kraang backstory.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #97
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

As far as I know, Aprils backstory was fully explained. The only thing we haven't seen is her real mother who was missing since the beginning of the series.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:18 AM   #98
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
April's powers were literally the result of that backstory. It's been a while since I've watched those episodes so I may not be remembering everything, but I'm pretty sure the first time she used her powers it was directly related to her Kraang backstory.
All that was basically explained is that April is a human with Kraang DNA.

The way Kurtzman told the story is that April's mother was experimented on before April herself was born. It's unclear if this was while April was in utero or before she was conceived.

Mom thing explained that a Kraang ship had crashed in the Northampton area and April's maternal great grandfather built a house on top of it and later found said ship. The Kraang then proceeded to experiment on him and his children and their descendants because they realized they had the DNA strand needed to take over the Earth.

When April was born, her mother knew April would be special. She and Kirby went to great efforts to protect April from the Kraang. Eventually, they were found and during the escape, April's mother was supposedly captured and possibly killed.

It could always be possible that April's mother never existed. There is a theory in another thread about this possibility.

Before I go into this headcanon, I do know there is a photo of a woman who is supposedly April's mother.

When they were being abducted during "Rise of the Turtles" Kirby doesn't seem all that surprised about what's going on.

Kirby also doesn't look like he is suffering all that much while in the Kraang prison facility. I know it's a kids show, but a human in those conditions would be pale, gaunt and rather unkempt.

It's also rather odd the Kraang would keep Kirby alive when the Kraang didn't really need him. Once they had April and Kirby, Kirby easily could have been killed off because he wasn't needed. Even when April was rescued the Kraang didn't seem to have much reason to keep Kirby alive.

Also, it's mentioned in "Rise of the Turtles" that the Kraang were kidnapping scientists all over the city, and we never see any of them. In TCRI April's father is a psychologist, which is pointed out as being odd since the Kraang were trying to perfect the Mutagen. And that's where it is revealed that they weren't after Kirby, they were after April.

So what if Kirby originally worked for the Kraang. Kirby could have been partnered with a nameless female scientist creating a human/kraang hybrid. In other words a test tube baby, it is possible the memories of her mother are implanted. Or April just generally assumed this woman was her mother.

Kirby being a psychologist would study thought and behavior. So while some of his DNA could have been used in April's creation, his main job was to oversee and monitor her until she was ready to be delivered to the Kraang.

Since he would have some training in medicine, he could prevent people from learning that April wasn't human by forging medical information for when she entered school or went to summer camp or something like that.

Over the course of looking after her, he may have developed honest paternal feelings for April. Either that or the female person that Kirby is partnered with may begun seeing April as her daugher and learns the Kraang's purpose for creating her. She then wants to protect April at all cost and convinces Kirby to help her.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #99
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
.... how would that have went down?
If you dig back in his TMNT blog you can see the art he did for it. If I recall correctly, the art showed Kirby in a giant spaceship, and Laird explained in the description that in the story, Kirby would use the ship with the Mirage Turtles to go and visit the Archie Turtles. Nothing was mentioned about the why, or what or who the villain would be.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #100
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

An international travel arc on Earth would be great!
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote