The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Allio
Foot Elite

Death Note (US 2017)

I mean, it can't be any worse than the tv drama a couple of years back. At least the plot of death note does lend itself easily to other cultures, as it isn't really heavy in japanese lore.

also, Japanese came out with the 4th movie this past year, takes place 10 years after the Kira event

I do kind of hope that with both movies coming out, there will be some incentive to re-release the other 3 films, I missed out the first time.

Last edited by Allio; 03-22-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Don't watch the 4th movie. Pure garbage and a total waste of time.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I don't believe this will be good. Nothing will ever top the anime.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
sdp
-

The anime is deeply flawed, especially since it drags, people say that the anime sucks after L but I disagree, even before that it had been a rehash of the same "outsmarting" each other and it went over the top when Light does the whole trick to out trick L. After L has some redeemable parts as well like Mello, he was awesome unlike Near who was a less interesting L clone.

I have to admit I was not expecting much from the Netflix movie but the trailer has me excited, I'm optimistic.

Never saw the japanese live action movies but they didn't look very fun.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I really liked Near, personally. I found his quirks kind of interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Don't watch the 4th movie. Pure garbage and a total waste of time.
What is it about? Who is it based around?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is a great casting choice. But I'm not a fan of them racebending Light and all the other characters.

We'll see how this turns out I suppose.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The anime is deeply flawed, especially since it drags, people say that the anime sucks after L but I disagree, even before that it had been a rehash of the same "outsmarting" each other and it went over the top when Light does the whole trick to out trick L. After L has some redeemable parts as well like Mello, he was awesome unlike Near who was a less interesting L clone.

I have to admit I was not expecting much from the Netflix movie but the trailer has me excited, I'm optimistic.

Never saw the japanese live action movies but they didn't look very fun.

Do watch them if you get the chance! I wasn't aware there was a third (or fourth) but the first two are great! In fact, I liked the ending of the Light/L rivalry better than either the manga OR the anime! It was a nice twist

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #8
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is a great casting choice. But I'm not a fan of them racebending Light and all the other characters.

We'll see how this turns out I suppose.
all the characters are Japanese and the US is multicultural, so it's not surprising they'd change some of that.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My Facebook is filled with tears of people upset about the whole cast not being Japanese, basically. Strange. And they do have at least one Japanese castmember, and other Asians.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:41 AM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Skeptical. The teaser wasn't all that interesting, and American adaptations of Japanese Horror/Supernatural stories are usually mediocre like The Ring was.

If they do a similar adaptation like the first 2 Live-Action movies did, cut out all the dragging, tediousness and the boring characters Mello and Near. It might be worth a watch, which they kinda have to do if they want a coherent story for a movie (unless they are going the Shyamalan way).

Dafoe as Ryuk is interesting, and I'm curious what Masi Oka's role will be.

... But, what's up with dressing Light to look like Spider-Man 3 Peter Parker

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 03-24-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My Facebook is filled with tears of people upset about the whole cast not being Japanese, basically. Strange. And they do have at least one Japanese castmember, and other Asians.
It doesn't sound like your friends watched the Anime, especially sense "L" is British Not Japanese
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Clearly you don't like psychological anime. That's what it's about: "outsmarting" each other. Death note is one of the best out there of its type. There is no other.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
Clearly you don't like psychological anime. That's what it's about: "outsmarting" each other. Death note is one of the best out there of its type. There is no other.

are you serious?

I like Death Note well enough and watched it as it aired, loved it but a re-watch showed how they kept repeating the same shtick just to be able to outdo themselves and things become silly, you can only do these things before they become tiring. The show should've finished strong.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The thing that gets me is, Death Note only has 4 or so major characters and The Powers at Be forget that Japanese Americans exist. There is 0 reason to keep Misa and the Yagami family as Japanese Americans, keep L white and making the rest of the supporting cast whatever PC race you want.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #15
sdp
-

New Trailer

I'm fairly excited for this movie, Death Note is awesome but the anime takes it too far, maybe as a single movie the concept works better. I have also come to terms that this more than an adaptation of the source material is an American version which makes it easier for me to accept the changes.

The biggest problem with L being black is that he's supposed to be this pasty white dude because he never leaves the house, but I'm willing to give this new take a chance.

I hope they do eliminate the crazier and overdone aspects of the anime even and while it'll obviously be more action oriented, I hope it's not the whole movie that is one big action piece.

Last edited by sdp; 06-29-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The thing that gets me is, Death Note only has 4 or so major characters and The Powers at Be forget that Japanese Americans exist.
Dumb, dumb, dumb. So if Japan wants to do their version of John Wick it needs to be played by a white guy who's a Japanese citizen living in Japan, because they exist?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #17
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Watched the second trailer, still nothing compels me to watch this, it's an abomination. So many things could have been different, it's a missed opportunity. Well, in the end all live action anime movies end up being the same.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
Powder
So tired of this place

It looks like an okay movie in its own right, but as Death Note, it's so far from where it should be.

Stop making live action films based on anime/manga, PLEASE.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #19
sdp
-

Has there ever been a decent anime to live action adaptation?

I recently watched the live action Ranma 1/2 and it was pretty bad and that one I thought could actually work. Supposedly the Sailor Moon live action Toku is genuinely good.

Edit: oh wait Edge of Tomorrow was a great adaptation, never read the original manga but the movie was cool, City Hunter by Jackie Chan is awesome too though again I didn't read the source material, speed racer was neat, so i guess there are a few that work.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #20
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is literally the only positive thing about this film I can think of. Everything else about it turns me off.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote