The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #41
Wildcat
Foot Elite

It's pretty cool. I personally don't care much to play things on the go but it works anywhere. As long as the games are good that's all that matters to me.

Battery life is a good question. My iPad gets like 4-5 hours fully charged, basic browsing, light game usage. So this would have to go at least 10 hours on full charge imo but for heavy portable use maybe 12.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #42
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

It's taken a decade, but I'm happy to see Nintendo "Switch" back to regular controls, no motion or touch screen controls in sight. Although nothing has officially been announced yet, it looks like it might not be backwards compatible with the Wii U. But I'm ok with that, just gives people a reason to keep their Wii U and I'll gladly sacrifice backwards compatibility for normal controls. I'm not crazy about how small the Joy-Con controllers are, but that's ok because I don't have to use them because a more traditional controller can be used instead.

It also makes power outages ruining your game progress a thing of the past due to it having it's own battery. Really looking forward to seeing more of that 3D Mario game. I really hope they go back to the Super Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy route with this one. The camera position gives it the old 3D Mario feel, but the levels look very linear...almost like a Crash Bandicoot level.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #43
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
It's taken a decade, but I'm happy to see Nintendo "Switch" back to regular controls, no motion or touch screen controls in sight. Although nothing has officially been announced yet, it looks like it might not be backwards compatible with the Wii U.
It's not. Nor is it with the 3DS.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...wii_u_software
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #44
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

This system has no backwards compatibility with the Wii U and will not play 3DS games. I'm not complaining about the 3DS, but remember when I put up a thread asking if I should or should not get a Wii U? My main concern was if the new system had backwards compatibility. Thank goodness I got a Wii-U, because I would have ended up screwing myself over and not have been able to play those Wii-U titles I wanted.

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #45
Allio
Foot Elite

Well, that is disappointing about no backwards compatibility. Hopefully since wii-u sales were lacking, I hope for that rumored "Smash" port coming out, as well as they do something for the two Bayonetta games. BECAUSE I don't want to spend money on a new system for 3 games
Old 10-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most likely the virtual console will continue on it for all old games. Although I wonder how they'll handle the second screen for DS and 3DS games.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #47
sdp
Megan Fox = April

3DS will be kept awhile for the next 2 years or so to make sure that if the Switch fails like the Wii U they can counter-act with a new portable and if it's a success do away with the portables, similar to how the GBA was kept a live until the DS proved to be a successor, if it hadn't then there wouldn't been a new Game Boy to replace the failed DS "third pillar" approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most likely the virtual console will continue on it for all old games. Although I wonder how they'll handle the second screen for DS and 3DS games.
Like the Wii U Does giving you different options and with the tablet controller it's easier than ever if you wnat to play it there since all you have to do is rotate the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Well, that is disappointing about no backwards compatibility. Hopefully since wii-u sales were lacking, I hope for that rumored "Smash" port coming out, as well as they do something for the two Bayonetta games. BECAUSE I don't want to spend money on a new system for 3 games
I'm guessing Smash won't get a port, it's Nintendo's biggest game and they'll want to hype a new one instead of re-releasing a 2+ year old game. The other's might get a very similar version that is different enough to be called a new game.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm guessing Smas won't get a port, it's Nintendo's biggest game and they'll want to hype a new one instead of re-releasing a 2+ year old game. The other's might get a very similar version that is different enough to be called a new game.
Its already more or less rumored/confirmed Smash is getting a port by the same people who said Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Mario Maker were being ported.

It'll likely just be Smash U with all the DLC characters. However if we're really lucky we might get stuff like the Ice Climbers, maybe 2-3 new characters (still surprised the Inklings from Splatoon were not DLC), and maybe the levels from the 3DS version included.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #49
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most likely the virtual console will continue on it for all old games.
That's something I considered. I wanted to get the New 3DS (XL) so I can download some SNES games to be able to play them on the go. So maybe I'll just save myself the trouble and wait out the Switch for that.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #50
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior

really dislike the logo... especially on the system itself...

it looks so far off from their past logos...

i dunno...

the name is alright... not really feeling it...

will wait to see the games...

"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 PM   #51
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well no backwards compatibility is somewhat disappointing. I mean I guess it doesn't support discs so I understand no wii-u but it could definitely play 3DS.

It could just flip up horizontal with a split in the middle. It wouldn't be 3D (unless the screen is 3D) but I'm sure all DS games could run on it. Assuming the Carts/Cards are the same size and shape.

They could have made it BC if they really wanted too.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #52
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Do you understand the technical aspects of backwards compatibility?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #53
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Yeah, I like when people think they just know better than the people whose job it is to build these things.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

As with most new systems that have no backwards compatibility I'm sure the urge is to get you to re-buy old games digitally on it.

I dunno if I trust Nintendo anymore. 1 new Mario game, 1 new Smash Bros game, and 1.5 new Zelda games per the life of a system, the last two systems, isn't quite enough to intrigue me. I don't care if I can bring the console into my car and get into an accident dinking around.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Makes you wonder what Nintendo will do if the Switch doesn't sell well.

The Wii-U only sold 13 million consoles to date after 4 years. For reference the Gamecube sold around 21 million consoles and Nintendo viewed that as a failure. The N64 topped out at 32 million consoles.

Investors already warned Nintendo they don't want another flop, and if the Switch doesn't sell any better than the Wii-U I have no idea what they're going to do. They're not going to keep releasing new console after console. They may just go all streaming or finally make games available on non-Nintendo consoles.

Its in the same manner Nintendo said for a decade they would never put their games on mobile phones...and now they changed their mind.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's a matter of ideology. Nintendo still looks at their systems and games as "toys," essentially, when video game platforms transcended that eons ago. The only thing that saved Nintendo when Sega went down in flames is that, of their core lineups, people care a lot more about Mario, Zelda, and Metroid than just Sonic the ****ing Hedgehog. They can always release a new Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game and people will buy it, pretty much without fail... Sega can release a new Sonic game and maybe some people will buy it, if it's awesome. But they didn't even bother making good Sonic games by the end.

If Nintendo had placated companies like Square-Enix, Konami, and Capcom and kept them in their corner they'd be in way, way better straits. They probably would have even fended off the rise of Playstation.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #57
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@spd, Cure...I obviously don't know how to build a console but come on you're telling me this machine could not run DS games?

I don't think it's a major issue , I still want one, it's just kinda disappointing when it's obviously capable. They just didn't or won't build it to do so.

Last edited by Wildcat; 10-21-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:08 AM   #58
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro Kame View Post
This system has no backwards compatibility with the Wii U and will not play 3DS games. I'm not complaining about the 3DS, but remember when I put up a thread asking if I should or should not get a Wii U? My main concern was if the new system had backwards compatibility. Thank goodness I got a Wii-U, because I would have ended up screwing myself over and not have been able to play those Wii-U titles I wanted.
You did do the right thing. The Wii U has some amazing titles, and I am loving Paper Mario Colour Splash atm.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #59
Ninjinister
無問題

Most people already assumed this, but the footage was not at all representative of actual games coming for the system and was all added in post.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
3DS will be kept awhile for the next 2 years or so to make sure that if the Switch fails
When. Not if.

Tags
nintendo, switch