The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CansecoBat View Post
Selling Toys.

Be honest.
They never made a toy of Utrom shredder itself.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
CansecoBat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They never made a toy of Utrom shredder itself.
They dropped the ball on that too? How do you not get around to making that version? The goofy little pink slug in the Oroku Saki / Shredder mechanical suit. Push a lever to reveal "Ch'rell" inside the Shredder suit.

God what a stupid, contrived, disrespectful character twist. It's still corny to this day. I don't know whether Laird thought it was interesting, and an actual good idea, or if it's was an amalgamation of Krang and Shredder, or if it was just a way to get around a cool visual paying homage to Mirage of Leo decapitating Shredder.

We'll never know, but I find that amazing that playmates didn't take advantage of making a "Ch'rell" Utrom Shredder figure, but we got clone "Crab Shredder" ...

CansecoBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #23
Keldor1578
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CansecoBat View Post
They dropped the ball on that too? How do you not get around to making that version? The goofy little pink slug in the Oroku Saki / Shredder mechanical suit. Push a lever to reveal "Ch'rell" inside the Shredder suit.

God what a stupid, contrived, disrespectful character twist. It's still corny to this day. I don't know whether Laird thought it was interesting, and an actual good idea, or if it's was an amalgamation of Krang and Shredder, or if it was just a way to get around a cool visual paying homage to Mirage of Leo decapitating Shredder.

We'll never know, but I find that amazing that playmates didn't take advantage of making a "Ch'rell" Utrom Shredder figure, but we got clone "Crab Shredder" ...

Ch'rell was Peter Laird's idea, He wanted The Shredder to have deeper connection to the turtles's origin.
Keldor1578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
CansecoBat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldor1578 View Post
Ch'rell was Peter Laird's idea, He wanted The Shredder to have deeper connection to the turtles's origin.
Which doesn't make much sense to me either. They're already closely linked. The turtles trained by Splinter to avenge the wrong doings either done to him, or his master.

That's intimate connection.

The relationship is deep between Shredder and Splinter, the Turtles are just a byproduct of it, being they are Splinter's sons.

Such a needless change. All it does is make things cheesier, and even more implausible.
CansecoBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Utrom Shredder was also a substitute for Krang who Laird would never allow in this show.

That's why IDW made Krang into an Utrom, and why the Kraang are main villains in the Nick show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #26
deathtojohnny
Thug

Oroku Saki

Here's the thing: I _hated_ the idea of Utrom Shredder.

The idea that an Utrom becomes a master in ninjutsu and martial arts using a robotic body...

What made the original Shredder intimidating is that he was a legit threat. A physical threat. He was a ninja master that rivaled Splinter. He rose through ranks of the Foot Clan to lead them.

But then you find out that it was all just a robot body performing all those impressive feats, which nullifies any and all respect for the character has gained as a ninja master. It wasn't his limbs that were performing those awesome attacks, it could've just been some programming done into the suit itself.

But one thing I did like was introduce the original Oroku Saki. Ch'rell using the identity of a legend to gain fear and respect made for a great retcon. If it weren't for this, I would've completely written off this show.
deathtojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #27
Keldor1578
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Doesn't change the fact that they weren't fighting the real Oroku Saki for most of the series. What's your point.
My point is there was a real Oroku Saki, It doesn't matter that the turtles didn't fought the original Oroko Saki for most of the show. The shredder was a legacy character in the 4Kids cartoon.

Last edited by Keldor1578; 01-16-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Keldor1578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #28
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Diminish imo.

I loathe Utrom Shredder with every fibre of my being. In this series, Oroku Saki is nothing but a mere vessel, a worthless puppet, a non being.

It's like taking one of the turtles and turning them into a robot or something awfully dull like that.
Y'know, I think maybe you're confusing the "body" with the "mind" inside it. Ch'rell WAS Oroku Saki for all intents and purposes. Saki was Ch'rell's own personality given human form, so saying he was a "non-being" is misleading. He was both the puppet AND the puppeteer in one nasty package. Does it really matter what makes up the body of a villain if the mind directing that body is the same? Not really. Saki is not just the vessel, he's the spirit inside it, too.

And saying it's like turning one of the turtles into a robot makes little sense. The Fugitoid was a robot, but had his own unique personality. He was a living mind stuck into a robot body- which is not THAT much different from what you're suggesting, or an alien using an android shape to assume a human identity, for that matter.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #29
deathtojohnny
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Y'know, I think maybe you're confusing the "body" with the "mind" inside it. Ch'rell WAS Oroku Saki for all intents and purposes. Saki was Ch'rell's own personality given human form, so saying he was a "non-being" is misleading. He was both the puppet AND the puppeteer in one nasty package. Does it really matter what makes up the body of a villain if the mind directing that body is the same? Not really. Saki is not just the vessel, he's the spirit inside it, too.

And saying it's like turning one of the turtles into a robot makes little sense. The Fugitoid was a robot, but had his own unique personality. He was a living mind stuck into a robot body- which is not THAT much different from what you're suggesting, or an alien using an android shape to assume a human identity, for that matter.
You should probably check out my response to this thread a couple posts above this one.

The idea that Ch'rell isn't using his own body is disappointing. Shredder is supposed to be a physical threat.
deathtojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #30
TurtleFan2012
Hench Mutant

The funny thing is, when Leo decapitated Shredder, I knew it was a robot body. There's no way in heck they would show that in a kid's cartoon. You really think they would kill him off just like that? No way!

At first, I suspected it was a robot copy, similar to a Doombot. I thought Saki was taking lessons from Dr. Doom. Although, that would have been a better twist.
TurtleFan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #31
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtojohnny View Post
You should probably check out my response to this thread a couple posts above this one.

The idea that Ch'rell isn't using his own body is disappointing. Shredder is supposed to be a physical threat.
I DID read it, that's why I posted that. So what if it wasn't his own "body"? Utroms don't HAVE a "body" to use for that sort of thing. It's actually MORE impressive that he was able to gain that level of skill with an android body- but then again, he also had CENTURIES to learn, so maybe it's actually more surprising that he could be beaten AT ALL. He's been doing it for hundreds of years, vs the turtles'- what, 15? And all without the benefit of having his own arms and legs. The fact that he could have that level of control of the android body tells me that he WAS in fact very good at using it to begin with. Not so surprising, really- that's what they were BUILT for- duh. How ELSE does a small alien blob get around and build the kind of technology they had? Without any hands or feet? Not bloody likely!! And that's not even counting the fact that they would be far more vulnerable on their own. (IDW Krang aside, apparently....) And technically, using the android body DID make him a physical threat, which he would hardly have been as a simple Utrom. So there you go.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

Y'know, Utrom Shredder didn't really bug me for some reason, but I have to wonder if they'd still do it, knowing what they know now about how divisive it would be. For some people it's the single biggest turn-off for them as far as the whole show, and that's a shame.

I doubt they'd do it over again.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #33
TurtleFan2012
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I DID read it, that's why I posted that. So what if it wasn't his own "body"? Utroms don't HAVE a "body" to use for that sort of thing. It's actually MORE impressive that he was able to gain that level of skill with an android body- but then again, he also had CENTURIES to learn, so maybe it's actually more surprising that he could be beaten AT ALL. He's been doing it for hundreds of years, vs the turtles'- what, 15? And all without the benefit of having his own arms and legs. The fact that he could have that level of control of the android body tells me that he WAS in fact very good at using it to begin with. Not so surprising, really- that's what they were BUILT for- duh. How ELSE does a small alien blob get around and build the kind of technology they had? Without any hands or feet? Not bloody likely!! And that's not even counting the fact that they would be far more vulnerable on their own. (IDW Krang aside, apparently....) And technically, using the android body DID make him a physical threat, which he would hardly have been as a simple Utrom. So there you go.
Some people say Ch'rell is controlling the body with his thoughts. I buy that theory. I can swallow an alien using an android body to walk around....but to use it in battle where you have to act quickly??

Let's say an enemy throws a punch at you, you would have to be VERY fast to press buttons. I'm guessing 2 or 3 buttons can make the android body do a special attack, similar to a video game combo.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #34
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

I believe it was controlled by his thoughts. That would make sense, as complex movements would be necessary just to make him able to blend in with humans while controlling the body. Otherwise, it would look too mechanical and awkward, which would arouse suspicion. He clearly developed the Saki persona over time, and was so convincing that even his own henchmen didn't know the truth for a long time. Think of it more like mech armor, where the pilot is hard-wired into the machine and controls it by brain-waves. (A la Robotech, Gundam, Technoman, or any other such anime where this occurs.)

Also, the few times we actually SEE him inside it, he is never shown using any sort of controls, unlike Krang in the 80's toon, who sometimes did. For that matter, all of the other Utroms were apparently able to control their bodies by thoughts (the few times they were shown) even in battle as well. Remember when April and Casey's wedding was attacked? The Utroms attending the wedding (Mordo and a couple of others) fought alongside the turtles and everyone else that was capable of it, so it seems to be a built-in function. And what would be the point of having a humanoid body that was not capable of a full range of human movement? They were on Earth for over a thousand years. That's plenty of time to develop the tech to do that, if they didn't have it already- which, with their level of advancement, they most likely did.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #35
utrommortu
Random Punk

Utrom technology would allow controlling an exo-suit with thought. If I recall correctly, though, the first exo-suit made by the yellow utrom in the 2003 series was controlled by levers.
utrommortu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #36
Kurai
Thug

I was cool with it. It's an interesting interpretation of the character, but I can see why people are annoyed by it. It definitely doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the series.
Kurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #37
k_lala
Hench Mutant

I never liked the idea first but fell in love with it later on as it all worked out.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #38
TurtleFan2012
Hench Mutant

It's a funny coincidence that Ch'rell happens to have the same voice and personality as the Tengu Shredder. At least he's wasn't a wimpy guy pretending to be a tough guy in front of his minions. I hate villains that act wussy as soon as they are unmasked, like in the 90's Scooby-Doo shows. Glad to see Ch'rell still being his villainous self, in and out of suit.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #39
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynof View Post
Utrom technology would allow controlling an exo-suit with thought. If I recall correctly, though, the first exo-suit made by the yellow utrom in the 2003 series was controlled by levers.

That probably had more to do with the fact that they had only been on Earth a short time and were probably short on usable parts. Not to mention the fact that they had to wait until Earth's technology became advanced enough for them to build their portal, so it would have taken a while for them to build thought-controlled bodies as well. I suspect that that first body was a prototype, and they made upgrades later.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #40
TurtleFan2012
Hench Mutant

Season 5 contradicts Slashur's flashback in the TMNT 2: Battle Nexus game. In the flashback, Ch'rell is shown walking around in a prototype Shredder suit on his home planet. The suit even has the pointy thingys on its head.

Tags
4kids, utrom shredder