The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #1521
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
It's part of the charm. They will start making Turtle variants past wave 4. An undercover Don seems like a logical choice.
We'll probably see Slash. Tokka I am not sure as I don't think the toy showed up so early in the toy line.
I feel like there were more characters that came out in the vintage line before Tokka.
I really hope they aren't just producing the early waves of the line. Some of the best totally unique sculpts came out in 1991, 1992, 1993, imo.

1991:

Antrax
Dirtbag
Groundchuck
King Lionheart
Rahzar
Sergeant Bananas
Space Usagi
Tokka
Walkabout
Wyrm

1992:

Doctor El
Halfcourt
Hothead
Merdude
Monty Moose
Sandstorm
Scale Tail

1993:

Hot Spot
Scratch

Last edited by italianice388; 09-23-2020 at 03:55 PM.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #1522
Chris
Mad Scientist

That was actually a really cool interview.

We could see the Party Wagon next year! Once Snake Mountain is fully delivered (around January) they have 2 more large scale “wow” items in the works. One ready to reveal, one later in 2021. Most likely the ThunderTank first and Party Wagon later judging by previous teases in Pixel Dan interviews. The Sewer Lair would be amazing but not sure they’d jump straight to that over the van.

Wave 1 re-issues are almost certainly coming with a minor change (like a dark brown weapons rack rather than light brown) to keep the first issues original. He mentioned not wanting to change deco/paint as doesn’t want new fans to think they don’t fit properly and old fans don’t feel compelled tipi get them. Seems like the best way to me. They wouldn’t normally do them but difference between supply and demand is massive from the moment they released.

Waves 2 & 3 production increased (both waves in production now) so partners like BBTS can have more available. Wave 2 due from factory in November but currently ahead of schedule so may arrive in October. Wave 3 due to ship from factory in March straight after Chinese New Year.

Bebop & Rocksteady are “stupid big”, absolutely huge figures. We could see this in the wave 3 promo shots but very excited to see this in hand.

April has had dramatic revisions. There is an alternate head with headset on but the entire figure has been changed since the reveal. Called it more on model. If she looks like the model sheet made for the figure I’m happy, glad I pre-ordered her.

Meaningful variants are coming (said see ReAction line so almost certainly the original 4) but line will also go to some weird places as well, which fits what he’s always said about loving the weird mutants.

Not limited to only characters that appeared in the vintage line, as line progresses we will see more flexibility in terms of characters.

Says there is a bit of a gentleman’s agreement with NECA, don’t really want to cannibalise what the other is doing (makes me think we might not see Movie Star or Toon variants whilst NECA is making those lines).

Wave 4 next month with Donatello.

Usagi not in wave 4 but they signed the license for him this year and we will see him in 2021.

Line is currently planned through wave 7, 2021 calendar is set. They are working on 2022 now and have ideas. Says 2022 is stuff they assume they’ll be making but fans will tell them if they want line to continue. Line could easily go on for several years.

2021 will see wave go up for pre-order every 4 months instead of every 3. Says every 3 months is the fastest they would go with any license. Says they’re a luxury item and doesn’t want to make it financially demanding or customers to feel like they have to pick and choose between lines because of cost.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #1523
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
I really hope they aren't just producing the early waves of the line. Some of the best totally unique sculpts came out in 1991, 1992, 1993, imo.

1991:

Antrax
Dirtbag
Groundchuck
King Lionheart
Rahzar
Sergeant Bananas
Space Usagi
Tokka
Walkabout
Wyrm

1992:

Doctor El
Halfcourt
Hothead
Merdude
Monty Moose
Sandstorm
Scale Tail

1993:

Hot Spot
Scratch
Anthrax and King Lionheart were sold in late 1992. Half Court and Sandstorm were on shelves in 1993. I agree with you. The glossiest and highly stylized action figures came out in the 1991 to 1993 era of the toyline. Unfortunately, most of the ‘91 to ‘93 figures are not as well known as the ‘88 to ‘90 selection. Still, Hot Spot and Scratch (especially Scratch) fetches for a lot on the black market. It would be a smart move to introduce Scratch in wave 6 or 7.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #1524
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Anthrax and King Lionheart were sold in late 1992. Half Court and Sandstorm were on shelves in 1993. I agree with you. The glossiest and highly stylized action figures came out in the 1991 to 1993 era of the toyline. Unfortunately, most of the ‘91 to ‘93 figures are not as well known as the ‘88 to ‘90 selection. Still, Hot Spot and Scratch (especially Scratch) fetches for a lot on the black market. It would be a smart move to introduce Scratch in wave 6 or 7.
I would expect no one else to correct me on my history! Appreciate it. And agreed with what you said! I hope this line shows some love to some of the more unsung heroes of the line.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #1525
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
I would expect no one else to correct me on my history! Appreciate it. And agreed with what you said! I hope this line shows some love to some of the more unsung heroes of the line.
The 1991 figures were pretty much an extension to the 1989 stuff (e.g. - Space Usagi, Zak The Neutrino, and Wyrm). The 1992 figures, on the other hand, were a precursor to the wave of characters sold in 1993. I have no idea why there were only two figures in the last basic assortment, but I like that there was a small Krang’s Android Body in the last wave.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:04 AM   #1526
Chris
Mad Scientist

So my second Raph arrived today. The initial “should I really have bought another” vanished as soon as I got him open, posed and head swapped. The second head is fantastic! And (thank goodness) no frozen joints on this one.

Definitely getting doubles of all 4 Turtles now so I can display with both heads. And Kapow agreed to a 20% refund on my original Raph due to his frozen leg so at least that’s something off my cost.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #1527
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Waves 2 & 3 production increased (both waves in production now) so partners like BBTS can have more available. Wave 2 due from factory in November but currently ahead of schedule so may arrive in October. Wave 3 due to ship from factory in March straight after Chinese New Year.

April has had dramatic revisions. There is an alternate head with headset on but the entire figure has been changed since the reveal. Called it more on model. If she looks like the model sheet made for the figure I’m happy, glad I pre-ordered her.
Lots of good info in your post but these two things are especially exciting. If we could get wave 2 in-hand by Christmas that would be fantastic. I ordered everything through BBTS so I get my stuff about a month late so I suppose I might slip into early 2021 but even that seems semi-close.

Very excited to hear about the April changes. I'm going to go ahead and preorder her now since it sounds like I might want her after all. The beauty of BBTS preorders is I can lock it in now and if the early reviews don't look different enough from the promo pics I can just cancel it. I DO wish the alternate head didn't have a headset on as I am assuming that will be the one I use. It would have been nice if they'd done a version that was an update to the more windswept look that came out later in the line (I don't have any vintage Aprils so I couldn't tell you what year/version it was).

Still, it really does sound like this line is headed in an amazing direction. I could do without the variants but I guess I'll just save a little money during those waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Ships from the factory in Oct/November. In hand by December. (as long as Flynn is telling the truth)
awesome, thank you.

Last edited by mikey see; 09-24-2020 at 07:57 AM.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #1528
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Very excited to hear about the April changes. I'm going to go ahead and preorder her now since it sounds like I might want her after all. The beauty of BBTS preorders is I can lock it in now and if the early reviews don't look different enough from the promo pics I can just cancel it. I DO wish the alternate head didn't have a headset on as I am assuming that will be the one I use. It would have been nice if they'd done a version that was an update to the more windswept look that came out later in the line (I don't have any vintage Aprils so I couldn't tell you what year/version it was).
First, thanks

On April, from what Brian was saying, it sounds like the main head has been redone (along with a lot of the figure) so hopefully the main head will look good and not just the alternate with the headset.

Brian caller her more "on model" so I'm guessing she'll look more like this with the alternate head having the headset rather than angry look:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD1MorNA...d=72vw47ddwq35
Old 09-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #1529
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That was actually a really cool interview.
Where can I watch it?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #1530
theassassin
Foot Soldier

Turtle Van would be amazing, I'd definetely buy that. The Playmates original was one of my all-time favorite toys.

And great to hear they're doing another run of series 1, it's definetely deserved considering the quality of these new figures and the widespread nostalgia for the original figures. The current availability and prices is already pretty bad and without another run it'll only get worse.

I really hope they improve the packaging area for Raph's metallic Sais though to keep them straight since I've seen so many (unfortunately including my own) that have arrived really bent up... it's ridiculous. We shouldn't have to resort to using hair dryers and hot water just to get our accessories correctly shaped.

Also would anyone else like to see a Super 7 Shredder repaint done in toon colors? Obviously Playmates did make a toon colors repaint Shredder in the original toyline, so I hope that wouldn't violate Super 7's gentlemans agreement with NECA. And obviously NECA's toon Shredder is already done and dusted anyway.
theassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #1531
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Where can I watch it?
Here you go:

https://youtu.be/rBlTovm1eN4
Old 09-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #1532
inaheap
Mad Scientist

If they reissue wave one put me down for about 5 more Foot. Maybe more. Need me a foot army.

As much as I want Usagi I hope he looks more like the comic and not the vintage toy. Definetly curious to see how NECA handles him too.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #1533
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I'm optimistic on the April revisions. I wasn't crazy about the original solicit but I thought it was close enough to the vintage figure that I pre-ordered one, and I look forward to seeing the changes revealed.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #1534
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
If they reissue wave one put me down for about 5 more Foot. Maybe more. Need me a foot army.
Same for me. I skipped the Foot this time as I couldn’t afford to get multiples and figured none is better than one for displaying.

Wave 1 landed at a bad time (financially) for me. I have 2 waves of Star Wars Black Series on the same credit card bill along with some Figuarts imports. Then I’ve got another wave of Black Series, NECA’s 1990 wave 2 singles, the Foot 2-Pack, T&R, and Super Shredder, and maybe Ultimates Wave 2 all landing between now and Christmas. There was just no way I was army building £50 Foot Soldiers.

If the reissues hit at a better time I’ll likely grab 2-4 of them.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #1535
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post

As much as I want Usagi I hope he looks more like the comic and not the vintage toy. Definetly curious to see how NECA handles him too.
I'm hoping for the opposite. Don't get me wrong, I want a comics accurate Usagi. I think Antarctic Press' is still the best we've got... and that's a pretty old figure.

But there is real nostalgia attached to that Playmates, first-ever Usagi figure. I need one that stands next to Super7's Raph in terms of bringing the classic design to Ultimates format.

There were very few designs that appealed to me from that original toy line, being a fan of the comics, but Usagi was one.

I think a Fantagraphics designed Usagi next year would be premature. But I'm definitely keen for later down the line. A "variant" for the line if you will (better than a space Usagi at any rate).

Still... a 4H Usagi, this is a dream cime true. So excited.

Last edited by Otter; 09-24-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #1536
mikey0
Foot Elite

I have to see how the Samurai hare with a knife looks in 7 inch form. I used to say that Usagi was one of the ‘too cartoony, it can’t be a TMNT figure’ ones, but now I love that toy.

I’m also curious to see what the alternate April head with headphones looks like. They are going with a more cartoonish look for April, so I’m guessing we will see a redux of the 1991 PRESS April figure. I did not mind the original head for Ultimate April. I thought it was quite close to the source material (1988 April). I wonder if someone will do a custom April without the blue stripes on her yellow jumpsuit.

I hope wave 6 or 7 has Leatherhead in it. I have to see those huge blonde eyebrows again.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:11 PM   #1537
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I hope wave 6 or 7 has Leatherhead in it. I have to see those huge blonde eyebrows again.
I'm really curious to see how they convert leatherhead into a more modern, more consistent, potentially more upright sculpt.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #1538
teemu
Stone Warrior

I see Leatherhead in Wave 5 with Slash, Yojimbo and Ace Duck
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #1539
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
My guess is one of those will be substituted for space cadet Raph, sewer samurai Leo, or incognito Don.

Unfortunately (imo).
Old 09-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #1540
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I can see usagi coming in the same wave as samurai Leo.

Last edited by King Kahn; 09-26-2020 at 02:56 PM.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote