The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

For Collectors of Other Lines

A discussion thread for collectors of action figure/toy lines other than TMNT (that is to say, in addition to), I thought it might be interesting in general to start a conversation about what else you collect and why. Do you display those toys together? Separately? Do you switch them out periodically due to limited shelf space?

I personally collect Star Wars (Black Series) in addition to TMNT, and have a few Marvel Legends. I only have one set of shelves that are mainly occupied by the TMNT, and so I switch them out every so often. I've considered collecting more lines (have collected many more in the past) but I'm also considering just going TMNT. Although somehow that seems less exciting to me. I'd keep specific characters, just maybe not entire figure lines, if that makes sense.

TMNT has always been my numero uno, and the movie line from NECA specifically (with the exception of my childhood turtles) is where I spend my money.

You know, after posting this, it occurs to me that I probably should have visited the General Discussion thread first...
Old 12-05-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Screw it, very few people look at the dumpster fire that is the GD section anyway, this will get more traction here. You are asking if you mix your non-TMNT & TMNT displays together anyway, which is perfectly relevant!

TMNT has always been my primary fandom & collecting focus, but I also have a lot of Nintendo/retro gaming toys, Godzilla vinyls, & a variety of figures based out of Japanese properties, from anime to live action comedy.

I keep my turtle stuff separate from everything else, pretty much all in its own room. In addition to toys, much like the rest of you, I have a ton of assorted merchandise, as well as art/posters, so it just makes sense that it would all look best occupying the same space. Granted, there's a little bit of TMNT in almost every part of my house, all things considered. Fridge magnets, Christmas stockings, blankets, they find their way around.

My non-turtle collectibles are for the most part displayed together, but each unique series has its own little area, basically. So for example, I have a ton of Godzilla mini figures, they're all on top of my office desk, on risers, neatly organized. Other sections of the desk nook shelving, these individual cubbies of sorts, each feature different things. A few anime girls here, some TV mascots there, you get the idea. It's all Japanese anyway, so it works thematically/aesthetically. The Nintendo/game characters are similarly mixed together while still sorted by series.

For a very long time I was collecting almost exclusively TMNT, but eventually I took a step back & reflected on things, realizing that brand loyalty & sheer mass isn't what collecting or being a fan is about. A lot of stuff I had wasn't really doing it for me, I just got it on the principle of turtle power. Now I'm a lot pickier (& I have to be, really, between cost & space issues), but happier with what I have, too. & it's nice to have a broader array of franchises represented as a result of slimming down the turtle bulk. I certainly don't collect as many things as I am fans of, I'd be buried alive in toys. It's narrowed down to probably around 10 things, & even so, many of them I only represent modestly, I think.

These days, there is simply too much TMNT product to keep up with, purchase, or display, frankly. It's definitely nice to be swimming in it, but I wish it had all come ten years sooner, when I was more invigorated about that kind of thing, & more able to spend freely on it. Maybe it's better this way, as I'm already overwhelmed with what I do have. I see a lot of people who just buy up every little thing willy-nilly, because they think that makes them a TRUE FAN, but it's stupid. Thousands of dollars on what basically boils down to the same few designs being recycled over & over, at higher & higher prices, with an increasingly lackluster quality control, & this goes across the board for all brands. I don't buy any one particular company's stuff, I just grab what I can't live without. I have a few NECA, Super 7, etc, but nothing terribly comprehensive. Sure, I "want" all of it, but I find I don't lose sleep not having the majority. Additionally, I find, it's boring as hell going after all this stuff when you just wind up having the exact same collection as every other manchild with a Target or Wal-Mart store nearby. For the most part, nowadays, I've shifted my TMNT collecting focus toward rare, vintage, Japanese stuff. Much less common, very charming aesthetics, fits in with all my other goods & décor a lot better.

Kinda rambling here, but yeah. Cowabunga.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #3
Dask
Mad Scientist

TMNT (NECA, Super7 and BST AXN) has been my primary focus but I do have a small selection of figures from the following lines (in no particular order):

1. NECA Gargoyles
2. NECA Horror
3. McFarlane Horror
4. Marvel Legends (just the core cast of X-Men, Galactus, Sentinel and the Watcher)
5. MOTU Revelations, Classics and Filmation (Also, Mondo She-Ra, with He-man and BattleCat pending)
6. Super7 ThunderCats
7. Mcfarlane DC Universe
8. Bandai Thundercats
9. Storm Collectibles (only Shokans)
10. DBZ Figuarts (only Shenron)
11. NECA Aliens
12. Papo Dinosaurs
13. Wild Safari Dinosaurs
14. PNSO Dinosaurs
15. Nanmu Dinosaurs
16. Eofauna Dinosaurs
17. Rebor Dinosaurs
18. Mattel Dinosaurs

Last edited by Dask; 12-05-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
but I also have a lot of Nintendo/retro gaming toys.
Remember that amazing Zelda line - it was only 3 figure packs but each one came with a horse? They were highly articulated 3.75" scale. I sold them years ago, but they were great.

Which brings me to the fact that I realized a long time ago that I have such a spread of I.P.s that are interesting that it's better to label me as an "action figure collector" than it is something like a "vintage G.I. Joe collector".

Hell, if all I did was represent Iron Man in action figure form I'd have a giant collection, but I've got filing cabinets full of various I.P.s. Which is also probably why I miss the days when toys were toys and priced as such rather than the modern "boutique" hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
I personally collect Star Wars (Black Series) in addition to TMNT, and have a few Marvel Legends.
I thought I had put Star Wars to rest in my life a long time ago but I've recently been bitten by the 3.75" bug specifically for the Mandalorian universe and more recently the Kenobi stuff. My Marvel Legends collection is outrageous and goes back as far as the first Legends wave from 2002 which I picked up at Tower Records of all places. At least I was able to get the Legends stuff down to a loose-only collection. I had a full MOC set spanning years of Legends that I unloaded a long time ago.

I also got jazzed and into the new MOTU O stuff, but as of the last wave I'm done keeping an unpunched MOC set of those. I'll stay with the line, but I'm going to just keep opening them instead of buying two anymore.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:03 PM   #5
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I have three bookshelves in my office that 10/12 months of the year are TMNT (NECA movie specifically) themed. One shelf is for the foot, one for the turtles and their Allies (April, Casey and Splinter) and the other is for the secret of the ooze mutants plus Super7 Bebop and Rocksteady who look great and scale well with the NECA movie mutants. The other two months (May and December) I put up the Star Wars guys. Empire on one shelf, Jedi on the second, Rebels on the third.
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:13 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Tons and tons and tons of sh*t.

Pretty much any DC, wrestling, and He-Man/MOTU stuff that comes out; not "literally everything" but I get whatever I can from any "major" toy lines that come out based on those things. Other stuff I'll like cherry-pick from and just grab whatever catches my fancy. TMNT, oddly enough, is one of the lines I don't have a ton of stuff from. I do plan to get some of the NECA and Super 7 stuff eventually, though, just not a ton.

We have no room to truly display anything so I just stick stuff wherever it fits for now. Not very cool to look at but I'm sitting on a metric f*ck-ton of awesome sh*t. It'll all have its place "one day".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Cool thread.

TMNT is my “passion” particularly the Fred Wolf and 1990 movie versions. And Rise! Also love the Mirage stuff but until recently there wasn’t so much of that about.

I also collect (heavily at the moment) Star Wars 3.75. Both Vintage Kenner and Retro Collection (love TRC) and also some Vintage Collection, mainly Mandalorian and ROTJ focused. Was lucky enough to get a retail price TVC Razorcrest.

I also collected a lot of the G1 themed Transformers War for Cybertron line and 86 Studio Series. Waiting for the SS86 Hound (or is he Legacy?). Looks awesome.

Then just other random bits and pieces here and there (the odd GI joe, Jurassic Park, Thuundercats, Spiderman).

Some of my favourite figures are:
- Figma One Punch Saitama
- Transformers Studio Series Blackout
- Boss Fight Bucky O’Hare
- SW TRC The Mandalorian (5POA, the one with the soft goods cape)
- NECA TMNT Usagi
- NECA TMNT toon Splinter

I’m hoping when my NECA TID set FINALLY arrives they will be some of my favourite figures too.

I’m not really a fan of 6 inch scale figures. Which is why I dropped off the NECA main line stuff. Happy with the core characters.

Oh and I’m also a massive fan of Samurai Pizza Cats!

Like most others on here, I now have wayyyy more toys than I have space for (gone crazy since about 2012). A lot of stuff is bagged up (to keep accessories together) and put into large storage boxes in the loft or in cupboards. Then I try to rotate where possible, or what the flavour of the month is.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:29 AM   #8
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Roughly in order of sheer volume:

1. video games. I'm a bit shy of 2000 if my tracking app is to be believed. The bulk is NES but I've got a respectable SNES and Genesis collection as well, and I'm at roughly 100 games apiece for the Switch and PS4. This collection will always be growing and I love it. I'm probably mostly done buying retro stuff (too expensive now and I've got most of the good stuff), but I enjoy collecting the modern stuff I want to play as well.

2. Star Wars. My brother and I collected the vintage stuff hard in the 90s and as a result I've got a complete set of the figures (missing some accessories) and probably 85% or so of the vehicles/playsets. Those suckers take up a ton of space, especially the Imperial Shuttle and AT-AT. The vintage collection is basically done buuut I also collect Black Series and Vintage Collection (the actual name). I'm not a completionist for either but I do try to pick up everything that has a 70s/80s counterpart. I've also got most of the 90s POTF stuff.

3. Lego. I've fallen off this hard and pretty much only get the annual modular, the collectible minifigure series, and the occasional Ideas or other bigger set. I've got about 300 sets already, including a ton of really big ones, and it really adds up both in space and money. I don't have the time to build anymore and once they started to re-release and update sets I could no longer justify the high price tags for most of it.

4. GI Joe. I love the vintage line, it's probably my favorite of all 80s/90s toy lines. I've been actively collecting it for the past 7 years and have hundreds of figures. I've stayed away from the vehicles for the most part because, again, they take up a ton of space. But I do have a handful, and of course they're some of the biggies like the WHALE, Skystriker, Tomahawk, Rolling Thunder, etc. I'm still working on the vintage collection, and now that Classified is firing on all cylinders this collection will continue to grow. I have to be careful here because there are just SO MANY characters, if I take my Black Series approach and try to get a modern 6" interpretation of every vintage figure it will get expensive really fast.

5. TMNT. I've got around 150 vintage figures and a few of the vehicles. I've got a near complete run of the Toon line from NECA (I pretty much stopped after Tokka/Rahzar), about half of the Movie stuff, and pretty much all of the Ultimates from Super7 as well as a handful of ReAction. I think this collection is winding down. I don't think I'll be getting more than a few more Toon figures, don't care about any more of the Movie stuff, and I don't have any real attachment to the comics. I'll keep buying Super7 Ultimates but that line has been super weird lately with all of the blowout sales and bad QC... I'm not sure they'll go the distance like I had originally hoped.

6. Masters of the Universe. I've got quite a few of the vintage figures and I think about 30 of the Classics line but what I'm really into is the Origins line. It's absolutely perfect (though it was more perfect when they were $15!). I've got almost everything released so far and plan to keep buying most of the non-variants as long as they're making them. I even backed Eternia... which was probably dumb.

7. Battle Beasts. One of the best lines out there that nobody talks about. I've got a complete series (missing some accessories) as well as a few Laser Beasts. These take up hardly any space and I love them for it.

So that's a ton of stuff and unfortunately, almost none of it is on display. I've got a floating Ikea shelf with most of the Toon stuff on it, as well as a second shelf above it with MOTU Origins. I've got Ultimates in a bookshelf along with some random Black Series and the Battle Beast collection. I've also got four baseball bat display cases spaced out on one wall with figures in them. The first and third are vintage Star Wars with the modern version of each above them on top of the case. The second is GI Joe but I get nervous putting the weapons in those brittle hands so I might rethink this. The fourth shelf/case is a grab bag right now as I haven't had time to figure out whether to continue with GI Joe or try something else. I'd make them all Star Wars but then I'd have zero GI Joe figures on display and that seems silly since I've got hundreds. Legos... mostly in totes. I've got the modulars on floating shelves in my office and a couple other small random sets around, but 95% are just in storage.

Video games are almost entirely out on display as it's easy enough to put them in media shelves and it's nice having them available to play (which I almost never have time to do!).
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Said a whole bunch of stuff
Loved that post, man. I'd love to rummage through your stuff to see what you've got, or see your displays. And inversely it would probably be a lot of fun to have you dig through my collections because we are into mostly the same stuff.

Super impressed by the volume of your video game collection - that's something I began reducing myself years ago, but in doing so it lets you live vicariously through the guys who stuck with it. I had a lot of promotional stuff from working as an FuncoLand manager back in the mid-late-90's for a stint and that really, really padded my video game collection with some amazing pieces. Do you have any pictures of your array of games? I'd love to see it.

It was actually Leo's enthusiasm that got me into the MOTU O line. I very gladly rid my life of He-Man completely 20 years ago selling my toys on eBay. But that Origins line - it struck at the right time with the right "enhancements" and price point without being simple "old mold recasts". I really like that line a lot.

But yeah - loved your post. I'd love to see pix of your arrangement too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
I have three bookshelves in my office that 10/12 months of the year are TMNT (NECA movie specifically) themed. The other two months (May and December) I put up the Star Wars guys. Empire on one shelf, Jedi on the second, Rebels on the third.
I really liked this too because this is the philosophy I adopted as well.

For years I continuously found ways to adapt my space to hold more stuff and then I realized that going modular and rotating themes in and out of cases was so much better. Not only does it keep your display "clean and square", but it grants some utility and interaction with your things as you handle them to rotate the inventory in a display.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #10
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
For years I continuously found ways to adapt my space to hold more stuff and then I realized that going modular and rotating themes in and out of cases was so much better. Not only does it keep your display "clean and square", but it grants some utility and interaction with your things as you handle them to rotate the inventory in a display.
Exactly. It’s easy to put stuff on a shelf and let it sit there and forget you even have it.
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:42 PM   #11
Dpooly84
Banned

What a great thread. I like Mikey see, collect retro video games. Not as many though, yet lol. Just broke 500 this year. My wife let me turn the garage into my game room so got 6 arcade 1ups a big crtv for retro consoles and big flat-screen for all the moderns(up to psvr on the ps4, the ps5 and switches are inside).
I only started collecting turtles again by happenstance. I ordered the loot crate, with sole intentions of reselling later but feel in love with the spirit of splinter figure. Needed something to feel space in the game room and thanks to my wife and mother for buying me neca turtles for a birthday a couple of years ago. I went all in lol.
There's other random statues and figures throughout the game room, a shelve dedicated to marvel VS Capcom, one dedicated to god of War, some classic Nintendo and Sega figurines nothing to specific random things I like godzilla, dbz, Naruto, Kingdom hearts, star wars(Mando specifically) a ton of Deadpool collectibles and a decent wrestling autograph collection.
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:19 PM   #12
Dask
Mad Scientist

I totally forgot to mention my video game collection, which includes thousands of modern and retro titles (digital and physical) across multiple systems (and generations), including:

Nintendo Switch OLED (if you don't own a Switch, you're missing out on life, exceptions for the elitist Steam Deck owners)
Playstation 1-5 (I only have PS5 and PS3 at the moment, sold the rest) (PS5 has the most comfortable controller, ever, even though I quite hated all previous Sony Playstation controllers) (has an exclusives advantage, at the moment)
Series X (currently the system I play most, Microsoft consoles always have the best interface and backward-compatible ecosystems, Series X tends to run most multiplatform games better than PS5 according to Digital Foundry) (stupid name and poor branding)
Polymega (base unit plays Neo Geo CD, PS1, Turbo Graphic 16 CD, Sega CD and Sega Saturn, favorite retro playing console)
Evercade XP (pending)
Analogue Pocket (still need to unbox)
Analogue Super Nt. (absolutely love this FPGA machine!)
Analogue Meg Sg. (needs more playtime)
Epilogue (not sure why I ordered it considering all the redundancy between formats/consoles)
Wii (sold)
Wii U
Gamecube (sold, may need to rebuy it but perhaps fully modded and HDMI compatible or a Wii console instead since it already includes GC playback)
Xbox One (sold)
Xbox One X (sold) (stupidly advertised stop-gap system, was twice the power of PS4 Pro but never truly leveraged as far as gaming or marketing)
Xbox 360 (sold)
Xbox OG
N64 (patiently waiting for the Polymega compliant module)
Sega Dreamcast (probably one of my favorite systems of all time, waiting for Polymega to include an adaptor or module to play in HD) (criminally underrated console)
3DS (improved eye-tracking never did fix the annoying ghosting)
DS (broken or lost)
GBA (not quite SNES 2)
GBA Micro (love the Famicom colors)
PSTV (awful interface, not supported since Sony shut down their digital storefront, had potential)
SNES Classic Mini (my go to Super Nintendo console until I picked up Super Nt. with a FXPAK Pro) (Nintendo Switch Online makes this console redundant, rewind button is fire!)
Sega Genesis Classic Mini (debating whether to get the Mini 2)
NES Mini
Turbo Graphics 16 Mini (should I get the Analogue Duo?)
PS Classic Mini (only worthwhile if you plan to hack it)

I'm looking forward to the more powerful, ergonomic (less wires!) PSVR 2 but Sony is arsinine for not making it backwards compatible with PSVR. I may pick up the Playdate console, since it has some cool ideas and is a bit...quirky. My backlog is humongous (I was only able to beat 215 games within the past decade or so).

Last edited by Dask; 12-07-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:35 AM   #13
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Talking of video games I wouldn't call it a collection (as I haven't gone out my way to buy anything much on the aftermarket) but I've still got all my games and consoles that I originally bought/given 'at the time'.

Original Gameboy
Sega Gamegear
Sega Megadrive
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo N64
Nintendo Gameboy Advance
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo Switch
XBOX360
Sony PS2

If I had to pick one or two to keep it would definitely be the Sega Saturn and the GBA. Special mention to the N64. Oh and the Switch is awesome!

Would love to to set up and play all my old games but don't have the time and space!

Makes me wonder why I keep them sometimes...

Some impressive video game collections above btw, I envy those of you who have game rooms set up!

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:39 AM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Analogue Pocket (still need to unbox)
I got so hyped on buying that thing and I put it to rest and picked up an RG-350 instead. That analog pocket is amazing and it would've been the catalyst for building another physical games collection, but this time across systems.

I think it's awesome that you got one though....
Old 12-07-2022, 10:31 AM   #15
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Loved that post, man. I'd love to rummage through your stuff to see what you've got, or see your displays. And inversely it would probably be a lot of fun to have you dig through my collections because we are into mostly the same stuff.
Thanks man! Yeah, I love looking at other people's collections. Post some pics! I'd say it's a bummer you unloaded a bunch of your gaming stuff but I'm secretly jealous of anyone that can let go. That is not a skill I am able to use often.

Here are a few pretty bad shots. The pano was a bit ago but you can see the baseball bat displays I was talking about. Looks a bit messy there, it's less chaotic in person (I hope). Speaking of chaotic, the NECA and MOTU:O shelves are pretty nuts but I enjoy them. I used styrofoam for risers and just jammed what I could on there. They're not pretty but they're good enough for me! The shot of the solo shelf is the shelf you can see the side of in the pano. That's where the bulk of the retro stuff is, though the loose NES is in it's own shelf (seen on the right in the pano) and there's CIB stuff in the closet. There was a time when I was going for a complete collection but at some point I got sidetracked by newer stuff and shifted to PS2. Still kicking myself for that as now everything retro is crazy expensive and I think PS2 era is pretty blah. Still, I think I'm sitting somewhere around 575 games, so not too shabby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I totally forgot to mention my video game collection, which includes thousands of modern and retro titles (digital and physical) across multiple systems (and generations), including:
It hurts my retro gamer soul that you have zero original hardware and you count digital games in your collection!

Yes, I'd prefer every gamer to haul around a bulky CRT that will hurt their eyes and shelves and shelves of games that will eat up space and their wallets.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #16
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Here are a few pretty bad shots.
Oh that's a great job, man. Love the use of the bat cases - it's something I've considered myself for a while, but I've had a variety of wall cases already since using the bat cases became a thing. But I love it....

And the video game shelf is like eyecandy. Just having that library and the setup means to play it on a whim is awesome. There's always something great about seeing a nicely arrayed collection of SNES stuff.....

Last edited by IMJ; 12-07-2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:14 PM   #17
Turo602
The King of Kings

Since at least middle school, all of my disposable income has pretty much gone towards video games, which is quite an expensive hobby all on its own, so I never saw myself getting into collecting any figures, let alone multiple toy lines. I currently have about 700+ video games, both physical and digital. There's so much I regret selling and never getting back though before prices got all stupid, but I do still dabble in retro game hunting every now and then. Mostly 6th generation games and PS1 at the moment.

I've always wanted to get into collecting figures, but I could never financially justify it and even still, there's so many lines I'd love to be able to get into like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, and even WWE, and it's especially enticing because there's so much awesome stuff that either never existed when I was a kid or I was just oblivious to. But for the time being, I'm good with where I'm at.

For a while, I did get into the whole amiibo craze when Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS came out, but I mostly stuck to characters I was familiar with in the Smash line. Though, I've since made it a point to have a complete Zelda and Metroid amiibo collection, which are the ones I have primarily displayed since I don't have enough room to display them all, but those are definitely the ones I'm most proud of, especially the Zelda ones, as I've dedicated an entire shelf on my Billy bookcase to Zelda, which is comprised mostly of amiibo, various figmas and toys, and a Majora's Mask statue from First 4 Figures. I've tried to fit as many other amiibo as I can in front of my games, but it's starting to get cluttered so I've put some away in a drawer and just rotate them in and out.

But I really got into collecting with the 1990 TMNT NECA line when they popped up at Gamestop back in 2019. I always end up with a ton of trade credit at Gamestop and these figures were just way too good to pass up and I thought I'd stop there, but on a whim, I decided I'd go for Shredder, Splinter, and the Foot the following year and I just haven't been able to stop since. These are hands down the best figures I've ever seen. The detail for the price and scale is just insane. I currently have them displayed on a shelf, and only missing Danny, SOTO Shredder, and the Ultimate Casey. But I'm short on room that I've kept the Shadow Warriors, April and Casey farm pack, and an extra Foot 2-pack in box until I can properly display them.

Even more out of control is the 80s toon line which I had originally missed the boat on and figured I'd just skip, but somehow, I ended up going all in on that one too. I'm still missing a few figures but I'm not that torn up about it aside from Casey Jones because I'm thinking I'm gonna throw in the towel soon on this line anyway. I had to install 2 long shelves on the wall to display them, and I've already run out of space/axed some of the excess figures like the recolored TMNT 2-packs that I swapped with the Turtles in Disguise outfits, rat Vernon, Cat April, and the destroyed Foot Soldier that came with April.

The box situation was a total nightmare though but it's the one thing I'm glad I got over as a collector. I actually used to keep all my amiibo boxed until I moved and actually had somewhere to put them and opening them was so freeing. I still have a select few boxed that I just can't bring myself to open, like the Samus Returns 2-Pack, Gold and Silver Mario, Retro and Modern 8-bit Mario, and Wolf Link, but I'm glad I got over opening the rest.

But the NECA boxes were the worst. I started keeping them around because they still housed a bunch of accessories. It got to a point where it just started becoming clutter and so I ended up putting all the accessories into little baggies and just threw out all the 2-pack window boxes. It hurt at first, but now I don't even think about it and I certainly don't miss it, so no regrets. I did however make an exception with the deluxe figure boxes. The packaging at least looks nice and display worthy compared to the generic empty window packaging.

While TMNT is my main source for collecting, I haven't been able to resist some of the other toy sections. I've always been a big Halo fan and while I was aware of the McFarlane line when they were around, I just didn't like the scale. They would have been cool to play with if I was younger, sorta like Jazwares' World of Halo line now, but their 6 inch scale Spartan Collection is exactly what I've been looking for with Halo.

Unfortunately, they do have some serious QC issues. I had a leg pop off right out of the box as well as three pieces of the torso. Some of the early figures felt a little loose in the joints too. I also noticed a couple of scratched hands. The paint on the figures are adequate but I have to give the edge to McFarlane on that one, especially when they miss the mark as bad as they did with their light green Halo 2 Master Chief. Nothing a simple black wash can't fix, but the sculpts and scale are fantastic and they pose very well. The visors are also the best I've seen on any Halo figure or statue. Was originally gonna stop at Master Chief and Noble Team but they keep drawing me in with characters like Arbiter and all the different Master Chief armors.

I have quite a shrine to Halo now with a large shelf over a giant framed Halo 20th Anniversary poster. I'm actually starting to run out of room on there now between all the figures, my Halo 5 collector's edition Chief and Locke statue, Halo: Infinite Dark Horse statue, World of Halo Worthog, Mega Construx Master Chief Helmet, and an actual Master Chief Helmet. I actually ended up putting the Locke portion of the Halo 5 collector's edition statue away just to make some room.

Below my Zelda shelf in my Billy bookcase is a Sonic shelf. For as much as I talk crap about Sonic, I'm actually a really big fan of that stupid blue hedgehog. I remember at some point before Toys R Us closed, I would go over to the video game section on the rare occurrence that I went to Toys R Us and I'd walk over to the nearby video game themed toys and see Sonic toys for the first time. I thought they looked cool, but like the McFarlane Halo figures, they looked like something I would have enjoyed more as a kid. But as a collector, they were just way too articulated for their little spaghetti limbs which ruined the whole aesthetic for me.

But thanks to my nephew who is really into Sonic, I came across the Jakks figures which aren't perfect but are definitely an improvement in visual. We'd buy him the toys all the time and I slowly gained more interest in getting them myself but was put off by just how barren Target and Walmart always were when looking for them until I finally came across 5 of em in one shot and for months that's all I'd ever find that I almost gave up with this line. Earlier this year though, I came across some more that I decided I'll stick with it, but goddamn still no Knuckles after all this time.

I did dip into the 2.5 inch line, but I'm keeping that to a minimum. I also couldn't resist the 6 inch Classic Sonic and and still waiting for Modern Sonic to drop down to a reasonable price. But between the figures, a Sonic pixel pal, and Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles Totakus, I've run out of display space. I have my Sonic Mania collector's edition statue on top of the bookcase and I have the Classic Sonic, Robotnik, and Mecha Sonic 3-pack put away in box until I can figure out a way to have it all together.

That's about it in terms of collecting, but I do have a bunch of miscellaneous things that I've acquired over the years that I have spread around here. Random figures, posters, and whatnot. Was most recently able to claim those holographic Metroid Dread posters from My Nintendo since they went back up after being out of stock last year and they look incredible. Seriously need to get some frames for them so I can finally put them up. I've also been trying to get into graphic novels. I've seen all the animated stuff and read about a lot of it on the internet, but I've always wanted to read the stuff for myself. I don't have very many, but it's something I've been slowly acquiring. Mostly Batman/DC stuff like Watchmen and Doomsday Clock and those Batman/Ninja Turtles crossovers. The last one I got was The Last Ronin and I'm currently reading through Infinity Gauntlet.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:57 AM   #18
Meow
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Tons and tons and tons of sh*t.
Right, same thoughts but I guess you have plenty more space available - and therefore also more figures (besides a little more interest for other lines on your end) - than I do

Quote:
<some pictures>
Nice pics

Well, so, yeah "tons of sh*t" for me too, which is actually because there was no escaping of that part of pop culture if you were a kid of the 80ies and 90ies. Action figures, video games, comics, merchandise, etc.

So I was into:
1. (what a surprise being at pole position) TMNT
x. Ghostbusters
x. Power Rangers
x. MOTU
x. He-Man
x. Captain Planet
x. WWF
x. Lego, Playmobil, Hook, Biker Mice fM, Aladin, various
x. Bootlegs from when we or others were on family vacation at tourists places in italy, hungary etc

Maybe I forgot some, don't know as there were soooo many action figures around back then. And yeah, I didn't grew out of a wealthy family, so my focus was on the TMNT "I" could afford back then and some certain others from other toy lines. Eg with Ghostbusters I was more interested into the ghosts than the slim, not very appealing looking ray, spencer, etc figures. For Power Rangers I had the basic lineup because monster figures were more expensive than the rangers. MOTU was something you would not buy in my generation since it was the end of life from those figures and the older generations who had them had often plenty of them they would have given us younger generation back then a figure here and there from there collection. On flee markets those were quite cheap but also often missing an arm or were a little damaged, stuff like that. He-Man was the line that followed after that and I think I remember they were a little cheaper as well because lots of the buddies in school would have them too. And yeah, I liked them with their much more futuristic and modern looks and also their "action features". And let's be serious: The gave skeletor the f*cking great look, such an impressive face.

For Captain Planet .. ha ... I dug those tv episodes so much back then and for some reason I don't know I only had multiple versions of captain planet, starting from the regular one to the one that is attached with a rope to a ring so you can fly him around up to the one that would color change the chest icon on temperature change, and duke nukem. And DN, oh wow, is a great character design in general from my point of view, and then they also gave him glow in the dark on the action figure - just wow. And yup, comics and video games. I'm not going to make a list of video games because that would be too much for a thread that is about other toy lines. For the comics it's basically the same stuff as I read ("collect") today, plus/minus some stuff. More at the bottom.

So, yeah, I don't know about you guys but for me focus on things in life changed at about the age of 15. Thinking about girls, making decisions about what school to attend in the following years, what job is it going to be and stuff like that. And yup, the "serious stuff" in life also costs money, so I didn't mind my mum selling all of the stuff I wouldn't need anymore since she was a regular attendee with her own stand up on certain flea markets. That, somewhere in the early to mid 90s.

In around 2013/2014, when a lot of things took place in my life that I do not need to go into detail with at this point, I remembered that my childhood was actually a very colorful one, with all the magazines and action figures and what not. With the little money that was available I was at least able to grab a set of TMNT figures and some vehicles from someone who gave away the last pieces of his collection. It was more than just relief to see the figures I once had owned myself again but also touching them, feeling them like it was back then. The years following also brought some changes along the way, let's put it like this, and so over the years I was able to not only "restore" the collection I had back then as a kid, but also got those figures I always wanted to have as a kid, now being able to afford action figures. Yes, I even got my Duke Nukem from Captain Planet back - a must have

So now I am into the following:
1. TMNT
x. Only certain selected figures of other lines, such as
- Duke Nukem from Captain Planet
- Re-released Eye Ghost from Ghostbusters
- Neca GITD Alien
- "Buy 3, get 1 additional random figure for free" (I think red) power ranger xD
- Figures I wasn't necessarily interested in but were part of a set or collection I got and didn't mind (eg WWF, MOTU, He-Man)
- and whatever figure as long as I totally like how it looks (eg the neca GITD Alien)

Does anyone remember the (I think quite popular) mcdonalds figures that were added to the happy meals that looked like mcdonalds stuff you could buy (eg big mac) and with a couple of pushes or clicks or pulls would transform into some dinosaur? We had so much fun with them as kids back then

Anyway, feel free to find not everything but most of my collection (including comics, hell yeah, minus video games and movies because nope, too much at this point) on tmnttoys.net
Old 12-08-2022, 05:35 AM   #19
Filespit
Hench Mutant

TMNT is my biggest interest and passion in life, so naturally collecting TMNT is what I prioritize before everything else. I want to say I've been collecting all my life, but that isn't really true. The interest has always been there, but I've never been actively hunting TMNT stuff, until a few years ago. I don't collect everything TMNT, because that's impossible to do, but what I do collect I go all in for.

For TMNT I collect mainly Neca stuff, but also vintage (pre-2000) and Super7. I have the four turtles from a few other lines as well as I appreciate the variety of TMNT figures out there, but I'm not looking to collect either the 2003 or 2012 era of figures as they don't relate to me as much as the pre-2000 figures.

Apart from TMNT, I don't really collect anything else, not with the same passion at least.

Recently I actually started buying the Mega Man figures from Kotobukiya, primarily the X series figures as Mega Man X is my favorite of the various Mega Man sub franchises. I really like that we are getting figures for all the individual armors from that series. I am also intrigued to see what Jada Toys are doing with their upcoming line of Mega Man figures. Mega Man is definitely that other franchise I want to start collecting figures for, but there hasn't been a dedicated line that has really dived into that franchise yet. Hopefully Jada Toys will fill that void!

Also, as a kid I was really into Biker Mice From Mars. I have an almost complete collection of the original figures from the 90's, just missing a few figures and one or two of the playsets, then I have them all. Haven't been looking for the missing pieces yet though. One day, when I have more space, I would love to have these on display.

I should also note that I have a small collection of video games (NES, SNES, N64, Mega Drive etc), but that interest is kind of archived at the moment.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #20
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filespit View Post

For TMNT I collect mainly Neca stuff, but also vintage (pre-2000) and Super7. I have the four turtles from a few other lines as well as I appreciate the variety of TMNT figures out there, but I'm not looking to collect either the 2003 or 2012 era of figures as they don't relate to me as much as the pre-2000 figures.
Oh, what I would do for some 2003 NECA or Super7 stuff! Their designs have this hybrid cartoon-comic look and would make for a very aesthetically pleasing shelf presence. 2012 not so much (due to the exaggerated angles) but there are some fun designs to explore (Revoltech has yet to be beat). Unpopular opinion - I do hope NECA makes a one-off set of Bay turtles as a con exclusive. The Three Zero 1/6 scale figures look so good but are like $400 a piece. NECA could do more for less whether at 1/4 scale or standard 6 inch scale.