The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 10-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #1341
AquaParade
Banned

I'm constantly pushing back against the archetypes that the TMNT fall into.

I'm not saying it's bad to give characters identifiable traits. After all, that's part of what makes them characters. I do think it's dangerous territory when you lean into it too much, because you risk making them seem one-note, like cardboard cut-outs.

That's something I love about the 1990 film. None of the characters are fully static.

You have Leonardo taking Splinter's teachings, as well as the safety of the family, the most seriously, but he is also caught goofing around with the others.

Donatello is thoughtful, shows his brainy side, but can also act as goofy as Mikey.

Raphael is highly emotional, showing both a lot of compassion for others, as well as rage. You can see his pain and his anger are all mixed up.

Mikey is pretty much a goofball, but he's the most likeable Mikey there is, for my money. His humor is actually charming. And they did touch on his pain of losing Splinter in deleted scenes, so there is that.

I'm not saying Donatello having glasses negates the possibility of this, but it definitely feels like a big step into relegating him to "the nerdy one".
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:59 AM   #1342
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'm constantly pushing back against the archetypes that the TMNT fall into.
Of course. It's always been stupid and I've always called the reinforcement of these things stupid. Utterly stupid. I've seen years and years of middle-aged women around places like this forum lecture how it is out of character for Leonardo to make a joke ("that's Michelangelo!"), or Donatello to be really upset ("oh, that should be Raph getting upset"), and so on, and it's always struck me as monumentally stupid and for reasons that should be obvious.

Quote:
Mikey is pretty much a goofball, but he's the most likeable Mikey there is, for my money.
But then they went and cut the little bit of footage of him sulking around the farmhouse getting violent and upset. He's as layered as a brick in the finished movie.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #1343
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Of course. It's always been stupid and I've always called the reinforcement of these things stupid. Utterly stupid. I've seen years and years of middle-aged women around places like this forum lecture how it is out of character for Leonardo to make a joke ("that's Michelangelo!"), or Donatello to be really upset ("oh, that should be Raph getting upset"), and so on, and it's always struck me as monumentally stupid and for reasons that should be obvious.
LOL exactly.

Quote:
But then they went and cut the little bit of footage of him sulking around the farmhouse getting violent and upset. He's as layered as a brick in the finished movie.
True. I think I mentioned that.

But wait - bricks are layered aren't they?
Old 10-03-2022, 05:29 PM   #1344
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The glasses thing wouldn't bother me if they weren't using them for a character trait stereotype like everything continues to do. Film/show makers keep wanting to be original a different, yet they repeat that kind of crap? You want to be different and give someone glasses? Okay cool... then do something original and give Leo or Mikey reading glasses they occasionally use at home; then ya put glasses on someone without using them to make anyone the nerd.

I'd be indifferent on April being a reporter, but if she was at least that would ensure she was a big sister-type adult again.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #1345
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Mikey is pretty much a goofball, but he's the most likeable Mikey there is, for my money. His humor is actually charming. And they did touch on his pain of losing Splinter in deleted scenes, so there is that.
Well, at least we got the angsty emo Mikey in “The Last Ronin”.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #1346
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Which is arguably the best thing made after the Viacom purchase.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:38 PM   #1347
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Which is arguably the best thing made after the Viacom purchase.
Presumably we would have eventually gotten some version of "Last Ronin," sale or no sale. Probably it'd be even more likely and/or would have happened even sooner without the sale.

(i.e., one day Kevin feels like doing it, gets his buddies at IDW to print it, Pete says whatever, only difference being that Viacom/Nick doesn't have any say on it and they don't get to give sticky notes)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:32 PM   #1348
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
(i.e., one day Kevin feels like doing it, gets his buddies at IDW to print it, Pete says whatever, only difference being that Viacom/Nick doesn't have any say on it and they don't get to give sticky notes)
Kevin wouldn't be involved creatively if Peter never sold. And Peter wouldn't have licensed the book out to IDW.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:16 PM   #1349
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Presumably we would have eventually gotten some version of "Last Ronin," sale or no sale. Probably it'd be even more likely and/or would have happened even sooner without the sale.

Nah, they get the credit, just like the get the blame for the Platinum Dunes films, despite those being something that were actually in production before the buy out.

Who knows if Kevin would have ever had this opportunity, had Peter retained the license. I'm betting not.

In fact, it's interesting that Kevin's sudden re-interest in the property coincided with Peter's stepping away...
Old 10-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #1350
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Kevin wouldn't be involved creatively if Peter never sold. And Peter wouldn't have licensed the book out to IDW.
I'm not so sure. Kevin still would have sold Heavy Metal and eventually Peter would most likely lose interest in TMNT. Kevin was definitely interested in being involved in new TMNT comics as of 2009 and I know that because I was helping him shop around to different studios, getting him conference calls. It wasn't like IDW called him up and pulled him out of retirement, no, it was the opposite.

All I'm saying is, probably eventually Kevin would have tapped Peter on the shoulder and gone, "Hey, remember that synopsis in the drawer from 1987? Do you mind if I make it into a TMNT comic finally?" and Peter wouldn't have said to f*** off.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #1351
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
In other words... "The only people who genuinely give a sh*t about Ninja Turtles"? Yeah, that's kind of my point, thanks for reinforcing it.
Speak for yourself, im only 28 but the 03 version will always have a special place in my heart.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #1352
Leo656
The Franchise

There's a few here and there, just not a lot.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:13 PM   #1353
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I hate to be the one to break it to ya, but if you haven't already noticed, TMNT fans may be physically 40-something but emotionally and mentally they're still very much young children.
Should I consider this to be a confession?

Not judging. I’m not one to judge since I am a bit immature for my age so for the most part I agree, lol

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 10-04-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:29 PM   #1354
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

the do you all think we will see more character designs?
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #1355
Poweranimals
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Some new details about the CGI movie.
https://twitter.com/TheCartoonBase/s...73012781867008
What did it say? It was deleted.
Old 10-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #1356
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranimals View Post
What did it say? It was deleted.
Nothing, it was a made up quote. It was apparently taken from some fan movie pitch site or something, it just wasn't official info.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #1357
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Red face

Quote:
Yeah, agreed. And what are the odds, the one Turtle that's "the nerd" is the one that ends up with myopia? How?

It's honestly just as if not even more insulting as putting the damn letters on the belts.
At this point, they might as well go all the way. Give Don an inhaler and make him a germaphobe as well.

As well as making Mikey a dumbass that makes fart jokes and gets baffled with a question like 1 + 1,

Leo a kiss ass and a douchey leader that reminds you 50 times throughout the movie that HE'S THE LEADER,

and Raph that tool you had in your classroom in the 6th grade, instead of a badass lonewolf. They should take that **** to a whole new level.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #1358
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Looks like Playmates will be releasing toys based on the movie during the upcoming summer.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgFAQ1NO...YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MutantMayhamToys.jpg (84.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by TigerClaw; 10-16-2022 at 04:40 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:01 PM   #1359
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Looks like Playmates will be releasing toys based on the movie during the upcoming summer.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgFAQ1NO...YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D
very old news.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #1360
Leo656
The Franchise

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seth-roge...214905819.html

Quote:
Seth Rogen Says Upcoming ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Movie Is ‘Deeply Personal’

Seth Rogen says there’s more to his upcoming “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” reboot than meets the eye.

In a Thursday interview with The A.V. Club, the actor — who’s known for his massive stake in the comedy realm with popular movies like “Superbad” and “Pineapple Express” — said the film shows he has a more introspective side than viewers may realize.

“We found a way to make it deeply personal,” he said. “It’s a teenage movie, we’re putting a lot of our own feelings—of awkwardness and insecurity and a desire to belong and be accepted and all that—into the movie.”

“And as I sit around with the other people working on it,” he added, “I’m like, ‘We found a way to care about this,’ which is great.”

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote