The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-27-2023, 06:21 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Superman has always been white in media you twit.

Christopher Reeves White Margot Kidder White
Dean Cain White Terry Hatcher White
Brandon Routh White Kate Bosworth White
Tom Welling White Erica Durance White
Henry Cavill White Amy Adams White
Tyler Hoechlin White Bitsie Tulloch White
That's why I said "thank god" because there was a black Superman project in the works. I guess it's probably canceled now though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:40 PM   #42
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That's why I said "thank god" because there was a black Superman project in the works. I guess it's probably canceled now though.
Seems like

Set and match ftw

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:44 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Like imagine if Superman/Clark Kent was black or hispanic or something? Or Lois Lane was black or whatever?

The internet would be in up in flames. Instead I see everyone online happy with the casting choices on reddit, twitter, forums, etc.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:16 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That racist Ta-Nehisi guy is still supposedly working on a draft for a black Superman movie with JJ Abrams. It's been a long time since we've heard anything about it and I'd honestly be surprised if it moves forward, given the shift in upper management and new directives.

The Michael B. Jordan black Superman series, I think for HBO Max, was never really shut down. I think Michael B. Jordan got too busy writing, starring, and directing Creed 3 for so long and then promoting it. Probably he waited too long and it won't be able to be made. The people who were green-lighting stuff like Birds of Prey and WW 1984 are long gone now.

I can't remember which one now, but one of them was said to be set in the "real" DCEU, not an Elseworlds thing.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 10:51 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Making either of these projects now would make no sense, Gunn said he wanted to streamline DC output so everything is in the same universe (besides Matt Reeve's The Batman and the Joker movies), so making "alternate" Superman stuff doesn't make sense at this point.

DC doesn't want multiple versions of the same character going on at the same time anymore, only making an exception for Batman.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:00 AM   #46
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Not familiar with any of these two but they look like their comic book counterparts. So far not bad.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #47
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Like imagine if Superman/Clark Kent was black or hispanic or something? Or Lois Lane was black or whatever?

The internet would be in up in flames. Instead I see everyone online happy with the casting choices on reddit, twitter, forums, etc.
Mmhmm exactly dude

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:56 AM   #48
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
"I think we've seen his origin enough in film at this time," he said, later responding to another fan to confirm, "There is no Young Clark" in Superman: Legacy.

https://comicbookmovie.com/superman/...4161#gs.2r1hsp
Old 07-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #49
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Quote:
The same is true for Batman, Spider-Man and also Ninja Turtles. These characters‘ origins have been beaten to death. If you count TV, I’ve seen at least four different Superman origin stories, probably more!? That’s not counting comic books! Do something else with him! The first details about this new film all sound promising.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:13 PM   #50
Dpooly84
Banned

Nathan Fillion as Guy Gardner I'm not mad at that lol
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:26 PM   #51
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
James Gunn has cast his old pal Nathan Fillion in Superman: Legacy along with Edi Gathegi and rising star Isabela Merced.

Fillion will play Guy Gardner, who in DC Comics lore, is a member of the Green Lantern Corps. That likely means you can safely expect Fillion to appear in the upcoming Green Lantern TV series that Gunn is prepping for Warner Bros. Discovery’s streaming service, Max.

Elsewhere, Gathegi will play Mister Terrific, aka Michael Holt, who is as brilliant an inventor as he is an excellent fighter. He’ll be joined in battle by Merced, who will play Hawkgirl, a character that traditionally uses swords and spears.
https://abovetheline.com/2023/07/11/...rced-hawkgirl/
Old 07-11-2023, 04:35 PM   #52
Dpooly84
Banned

Quote:
Who wrote this? Hawkgirl is known for using spears and swords? I can only picture her with the mace lol
Old 07-11-2023, 04:49 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Nathan's 52 now, though. It's a good casting but... Guy shouldn't be a 52 year old man, especially just starting out.

I take it this means that this Guy Gardner is part of the same Corps we'll see over on the new GL TV show?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 05:35 PM   #54
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Gonna post the OG Vanity Fair article about the castings

Quote:
Superman Legacy Cast Adds Isabela Merced, Edi Gathegi and Nathan Fillion: EXCLUSIVE
Here's how their new heroes fit in to James Gunn and Peter Safran's reset of the DC Universe…

BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN
JULY 11, 2023

Superman Legacy, the movie that will mark the live-action rebirth of the DC Universe, has added three new actors to its cast, each of them playing a superhero with a long history in the comic books. Isabela Merced will play Hawkgirl, Edi Gathegi will be Mister Terrific and Nathan Fillion will portray a Green Lantern (although not necessarily the Green Lantern.)

James Gunn, who wrote and will direct the 2025 movie, has already cast David Corenswet (The Politician) as Clark Kent and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel star Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane. When it starts shooting in January 2024, it will set the course for the new DCU that the Guardians of the Galaxy filmmaker is building in collaboration with fellow chair and CEO of DC Studios Peter Safran.

In an exclusive to Vanity Fair, DC Studios revealed the new additions: Merced, best known for playing the besieged drug cartel daughter in Sicario: Day of the Soldado and the ever-exploring title character in Dora and the Lost City of Gold, will soar into the new universe as the winged warrior Hawkgirl. The hero's favorite battle accessories are melee weapons—swords, spears, and maces—and Merced's 5-foot-1 size will set her apart from the typical comic book brawler.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1600x1058.

Gathegi, who played the double-dealing vampire Laurent in the Twilight films and the ever-evolving Darwin in X-Men: First Class, will take on the role of Mister Terrific, a.k.a. Michael Holt, who is not only a skilled combatant but one of the world's most brilliant inventors and tacticians, orbited by the floating T-Sphere weapons he designed. Among his superpowers is his otherworldly intellect. On the sleeve of his jacket is the phrase “Fair Play,” a tribute to the catchphrase of an earlier version of the Mister Terrific character as well as a statement of belief.

Finally, Fillion—a mainstay of Gunn's movies who starred in the director's first movie, the 2006 horror-comedy Slither, and his most recent one, Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, will join him again in Superman Legacy as a Green Lantern named Guy Gardner.

Comic fans primarily think of two primary characters in relation to the Green Lantern mantle. Hal Jordan was the original version of the comic book hero (played by Ryan Reynolds in the 2011 movie). The next iteration of the green glowing protector was named John Stewart, notable when he was introduced in the early ‘70s for being one of DC’s earliest and most prominent Black superheroes. Gardner, the character Fillion will play in Superman Legacy, is distinct from both of them for being somewhat less than heroic when he wears the matter-manifesting ring that gives the Green Lantern his powers.

Among the rest of the aliens and humans who serve in that group of galactic peacekeepers, Gardner is known as an abrasive, sometimes obnoxious presence. The role also brings a dose of awkward comedy to Superman Legacy. The character is known for his iconic bowl cut haircut, which will be a part of Fillion's look in the film.

While there is also a Green Lantern TV series in the works as part of the rebooted DCU, that one will focus on Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

Fillion previously played a DC character in Gunn's The Suicide Squad known as T.D.K., or The Detachable Kid, whose powers consisted of the ability to separate his limbs from his body and telekinetically launch them at his enemies. T.D.K.—spoiler alert—didn't survive for very long in that movie. So there's no danger of the actor's duel roles ever crossing paths.

That raises the enduring question of what DC movies and TV shows from the past will end, and which will be woven into the new slate of storytelling. While Superman Legacy is the first movie in the rejuvenated DCU, the first project in the new universe will be an animated series for the Max streaming service called Creature Commandos.

Some characters from Gunn's previous DC work on The Suicide Squad will be grandfathered in to the new universe, such as Viola Davis' powerbroker Amanda Waller, who is getting her own TV series, and John Cena's Peacemaker, who was introduced in that movie and went on to star in his own self-titled TV show. A second season of Peacemaker will be part of the new DCU.

Gunn and Safran are selecting elements that will carry over, mostly based on actors. For instance, Gunn has said that Cobra Kai actor Xolo Maridueña, who stars in the upcoming Blue Beetle movie, will continue playing the character in the new DCU, but that upcoming movie will stand on its own.

The new leadership of DC Studios has stated that their overall goal is accessibility that allows viewers to go into any of the future movies and shows without the need for deep binge-watching research. “The good news is, if you've seen nothing that we've done before, you can watch Superman Legacy, you can watch Creature Commandos, you can watch Peacemaker season two, and you can watch Blue Beetle. All of that," Safran tells Vanity Fair. “We are trying to minimize audience confusion and maximize their enjoyment.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...e04_popular4-1
Old 07-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

I know given Gunns track record I shouldn't be concerned, but starting off a new Superman with a whole bunch of superheroes thrown in as well feels weird to me. I know this isn't year one Superman, but still I would prefer he stand on his own.
Old 07-12-2023, 01:26 PM   #56
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Add Metamorpho to this movie

https://collider.com/superman-legacy...an-metamorpho/

Quote:
the shapeshifting Metamorpho will grace the big screen, where he’ll be portrayed by Barry’s Anthony Carrigan, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:55 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

I really don't think shoving a bunch of C-list superheroes into Superman's debut movie is a good idea, but who knows.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:29 PM   #58
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

James on the addition of all these Heroes
Old 07-12-2023, 04:11 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Still feels unnecessary. And if all these other heroes like Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, Guy and Metamorpho are only in a few scenes, what's the point in having them at all?
Old 07-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #60
Dpooly84
Banned

Quote:
Still feels unnecessary. And if all these other heroes like Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, Guy and Metamorpho are only in a few scenes, what's the point in having them at all?
To establish that a universe with all these characters already exists, I would presume.