The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #41
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
being this isn't cannon and doesn't really fit at all into either DC or IDW timeline, James Tynion is probably given free reign to do as he pleases.

my guess is that the 2012 Nick cartoon has left the impression that Donnie isn't as good a warrior as Leo or Raph.
4Kids started that negative impression. Remember, Donnie was the only Turtle to go out like a punk in the Battle Nexus tournament...
Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #42
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
4Kids started that negative impression. Remember, Donnie was the only Turtle to go out like a punk in the Battle Nexus tournament...
i'm just wondering if James Tynion saw any of the 4kids cartoons?
or if he's getting his impression of the characters from the Nick cartoon or (GASP!) the Bay-Turtles????

......let's hope not on that last part!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #43
Powder
So tired of this place

I think casual fans just make the assumption that since he is smart, he's weak. Old stereotype.

Lord knows he probably saved the day more than any other in the original cartoon. Not sure if he's ever really been portrayed as the weak link, truly.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I think casual fans just make the assumption that since he is smart, he's weak. Old stereotype.

Lord knows he probably saved the day more than any other in the original cartoon. Not sure if he's ever really been portrayed as the weak link, truly.
Yeah, that's dumb. There's no reason to think he wouldn't have had exactly the same training regime as all of his brothers.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #45
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
they definitely didn't read 'New York Ninja'.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #46
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

well Im mean if you think about it. With how smart he is, you think he would have the most polished technique with how hypercritical he is with other aspects of his life such as his studies.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #47
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

I mean maybe splinter didn't invest as much into Donatello
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #48
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Awesome to see a follow-up to the original mini, as I quite enjoyed it (Thought the BTAS/Nick one was just okay) and never expected them to ever make a direct sequel. (Much like TMNT/GB, but we live in a lovely world. XD) Also really cool that we'll see some action in the Turtles' universe this time around, so it'll be fun to see any new crossover elements that get introduced as the story goes on. Looking forward to seeing more!
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just looked at the other pages teased there. Two things:

1. Getting a major PD vibe from the page with the Turtles on hoverboards and Donnie in almost full PD gear with holographic gizmos.

2. The page with Bane in front of the Foot. The artwork is great but man... I really dislike seeing Bane in gigantaur mode. They did it in Batman & Robin and they did it in the Arkham games. He's not supposed to be some hulking, giant monster of a man, even on venom, though I can understand the visual appeal. Here is Bane:

A big dude, sure, and his muscles get a bit bigger with venom, but not some kind of Hulk. Though he looks like this right now in DC, as he is currently appearing in "Bane: Conquest," the maxi-series by Chuck Dixon and Graham Nolan, his creators:

I really hope that this Batman/TMNT story is written with care to Bane. He isn't evil and he doesn't have any evil agenda. In later years he's even teamed up with Batman and gone on adventures together. Right now he's busy traveling across the whole world, breaking up mobster groups everywhere to bring them into order and it's even above board with Batman.

If Bane just pops into the IDW TMNT dimension like, "RAHHH, I want to invade this new city and take it over because I'm a bad guy and I like to BREAK people!" well... that's completely the antithesis who Bane is and what he's about.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-14-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #50
DVD
Mad Scientist

I've just got my hands on the six issues of the 2nd Bats / TMNT X-Over.
I haven't read it yet, but looking forward to it.

Nice to see a third story is already being lined up.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:10 AM   #51
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just looked at the other pages teased there. Two things:

1. Getting a major PD vibe from the page with the Turtles on hoverboards and Donnie in almost full PD gear with holographic gizmos.

2. The page with Bane in front of the Foot. The artwork is great but man... I really dislike seeing Bane in gigantaur mode. They did it in Batman & Robin and they did it in the Arkham games. He's not supposed to be some hulking, giant monster of a man, even on venom, though I can understand the visual appeal. Here is Bane:

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...c/Bane_pic.jpg

A big dude, sure, and his muscles get a bit bigger with venom, but not some kind of Hulk. Though he looks like this right now in DC, as he is currently appearing in "Bane: Conquest," the maxi-series by Chuck Dixon and Graham Nolan, his creators:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/wp...w=588&zc=1&a=t

I really hope that this Batman/TMNT story is written with care to Bane. He isn't evil and he doesn't have any evil agenda. In later years he's even teamed up with Batman and gone on adventures together. Right now he's busy traveling across the whole world, breaking up mobster groups everywhere to bring them into order and it's even above board with Batman.

If Bane just pops into the IDW TMNT dimension like, "RAHHH, I want to invade this new city and take it over because I'm a bad guy and I like to BREAK people!" well... that's completely the antithesis who Bane is and what he's about.
I honestly don't think I've ever read any Bane-centric storylines, I'm sure they're good but I don't collect that much Batman and the library where I read most Batman never seemed to have those stories.

It seems to me that all Bane does in TAS and those direct to DVD movies is talk about he wants to break Batman but never actually doing it. Not saying that the character is nothing but a spine trauma fetishist, just that it's pretty much all I've seen of him. I get that Knightfall is the big Bane story but that seems to be the only thing about Bane most adaptations seems to reference, it would be like having the Green Goblin pretty much only talk about how he threw Gwen off the bridge.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #52
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I honestly don't think I've ever read any Bane-centric storylines, I'm sure they're good but I don't collect that much Batman and the library where I read most Batman never seemed to have those stories.

It seems to me that all Bane does in TAS and those direct to DVD movies is talk about he wants to break Batman but never actually doing it. Not saying that the character is nothing but a spine trauma fetishist, just that it's pretty much all I've seen of him. I get that Knightfall is the big Bane story but that seems to be the only thing about Bane most adaptations seems to reference, it would be like having the Green Goblin pretty much only talk about how he threw Gwen off the bridge.
Knightfall is a really good read. I have two volumes of it and it's pretty long. Bane is one of the few villains I felt TAS did not do justice. Pretty barebones interpretation of the character.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

Knightfall is a tiny story in the grand scheme of things. "Vengeance of Bane II" was great, where he breaks free of the hold of venom and reconditions himself. "Legacy" and especially "Bane of the Demon" were fantastic and huge in scope. Bane proved himself to Ra's and took Talia as his lover, harnessing a new strain of Ebola. Also there was a great stry where it looked like Thomas Wayne may have been Bane's dad from a time he was doing work in Santa Prisca, so Bruce gives Bane a bunch of money to go and find out. Later still he became the leader of the Secret Six... great stuff, real human stories.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Nick crossover was mainly about Scarecrow and Mad Hatter, I wonder what this one will be about.

Shredder's team up with Ra's Al Gul and the League of Assassins was glossed over too quickly the first time around, I wonder if this will continue that plotline? Then again if the new crossover takes place in the "current" IDW timeline...Shredder is dead so they may not use that.

In fact I'm very interested to see where they place this crossover, if it picks up directly where the last one ended or a "years later" type deal.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #55
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Nick crossover was mainly about Scarecrow and Mad Hatter, I wonder what this one will be about.

Shredder's team up with Ra's Al Gul and the League of Assassins was glossed over too quickly the first time around, I wonder if this will continue that plotline? Then again if the new crossover takes place in the "current" IDW timeline...Shredder is dead so they may not use that.

In fact I'm very interested to see where they place this crossover, if it picks up directly where the last one ended or a "years later" type deal.
I think the best guy for Bane to team up with is Hun
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #56
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
That would be redundant, I would rather see him team up with Stockman. It would be interesting to see what Bane could do with the venom formula
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #57
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
That would be redundant, I would rather see him team up with Stockman. It would be interesting to see what Bane could do with the venom formula
Why not both? "Suddenly, there’s a new gang boss in New York and he’s out to unite all the other bad guys under him" Hun doesn't have any smart guys working for him and Stockman doesn't have too many strong dudes working for him so combining their forces would be a great idea

but it will probably just be Bebop and Rocksteady because nostalgia sells
Old 09-16-2017, 11:46 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
That might make sense. There's been at least one time I know that Bane has tried to create an "improved" venom.

I guess with some form of the mutagen, he could try and find a way to mutate himself to his full-on venom state, permanently, so that he doesn't need the drug anymore.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #59
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why?
Last time we had Shredder & Ra's Al Ghul too guys with Ninja thug army's and apparently immortal from a chemical they are both Arch Villains

Now we have Bane, possibly Hun too guys with tough guy army's who are apparently super strong because of a chemical they are both bully's

If I had to team up a batman guy with Stockman I would pick the Riddler too guys who are convinced that they are geniuses and the world is filled with idiots They are both Master Minds

Sounds like based on the first idea, it would be good to team up people who were like each other, but who cares what I think I just buy all of this stuff.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:22 AM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Now we have Bane, possibly Hun too guys with tough guy army's who are apparently super strong because of a chemical they are both bully's
I guess that's fair on the former. Bane isn't a bully, though. He's a super intelligent strongman who was designed to be the Anti-Batman... physical equal as well as mentally.

He doesn't bully anyone, he just kills them.