The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It's kind of annoying that they think that tiny bit of extra paint is worth an extra $20 or so. The hell...

They sure as heck don't drop the price even a penny on the retail ones when they skimp on it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Thirty ****ing dollars for the paint job the retail figures should have had, wow...
The audacity of Playmates...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The older I get, the more I appreciate the first two waves of the 4Kids toyline. Great looking plastic figures, tons of accessories, and gorgeously generous paint applications!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #24
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

I agree with you oldmanwinters regarding the 2K3 figures!

And charging that much for the same sculpt is absurd.
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #25
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Price point is bs
Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #26
tmntman
Mad Scientist

So to summarize:

-Playmates' normal figures throughout the 2012 line and what we have seen of the Rise of the TMNT product are junk because of the limits imposed by the low price point.

-Playmates attempts to offer an olive branch to collectors in the form of a limited run of figures that have all of the additional paint work, so now everyone just wants to complain because they are more expensive.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why Playmates just ignores the collector community in favor of selling toys to kids?

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #27
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
So to summarize:

-Playmates' normal figures throughout the 2012 line and what we have seen of the Rise of the TMNT product are junk because of the limits imposed by the low price point.

-Playmates attempts to offer an olive branch to collectors in the form of a limited run of figures that have all of the additional paint work, so now everyone just wants to complain because they are more expensive.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why Playmates just ignores the collector community in favor of selling toys to kids?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #28
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

Hmm, I'd most definitely be interested in a Leo. Hopefully they will be made available somewhere online since I won't be anywhere near SDCC. I like seeing Leo with his weird yellow stripes that went missing on the final product.

If anyone can snag a Leo just let me know.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #29
DVD
Mad Scientist

Likewise, I’m relying on someone else getting them. I won’t be anywhere near SDCC.
Managed to get all previous Playmates and Neca TMNT SDCC figures and sets, so hopefully, I’ll find a way to grab these.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #30
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I am always willing to help anyone overseas, but only a small percentage of people in this community ever take me up on it.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #31
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
So to summarize:

If it's worth it to some, more power to them, I hope they're able to get what they want, but in terms of actual value... While it's understandable that they're sold for more, I'm sorry, but those minimal additional touches of paint and slapping "exclusive" on it isn't worth that much of a price increase.

If they were a little bit larger scale, fine. If they were painted with nice additional paint details better than their stock photos so they actually appeared kind of exclusive, even better. (I mean, the stock photo paint isn't really all that impressive to begin with in and of itself, it's about as basic as they can go short of what retail really gets.)

But the angle of "Here, we showed you stock photos a while ago as an example of what the toys will look like, but as usual it was misleading -- but now you can have that for 3x the price!" Come on now, Nick/Playmates...

Honestly, I think they should have played up the "exclusive" thing largely on being able to own them early, for maybe $19.99/each at most with the added paint being a nice little bonus. A tiny bit of added paint to a very limited amount of figures isn't exactly costly. Yet they shoot the price up as if their weapons had gold leaf applied to them, not just a thin layer of a few stripes of yellow #5 to Leo's arms.

As far as the collector community goes... this just bare grazes the surface of being a "collectable" and is pretty minimal effort. I mean, the box is probably the more exclusive part.

When people throw them on eBay with the intention of profiting, I can't even begin to imagine what they're even going to price them at there.

edit: Although it's kind of funny that when it comes to cutting out all the paint details for stores they kind of, er, painted themselves into a corner with always having to keep those red stripes on Leo's face.

more edits: Honestly... looking at a couple of the 2016 film figures I have near the computer, even while their paint was likewise cut back on from their stock photos, they still have more paint and more detail to it than these 2018s. Being a film version, okay, they kind of needed it more than a cartoon, but the amount of paint they have was still reasonably affordable to manufacture them with at the typical basic figure price point, so just saying...

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-10-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #32
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I am always willing to help anyone overseas, but only a small percentage of people in this community ever take me up on it.

I would honestly be shocked if the scalpers even decided to track down this set at all. If collectors already find these to be overpriced pieces of junk, then what scalper in their right mind is going to overcharge for a set of figures that collectors are already shunning? I think at the end of the day as far as TMNT SDCC exclusives are concerned, most collectors (and perhaps even a few kids will hunt these down too, provided they have been exposed to the first live action films) are going to flock to the NECA booth for the movie figures. Because at the end of the day those shoppers will simply get a lot more for their money. I mean yeah, these toon figures are probably somewhat alluring because they are based on the new toon, but by and large collectors are probably going to ignore the SDCC versions and that will most likely still leave the retail versions for the kids. Kids who probably don't care about super accurate paint details at the end of the day.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #33
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I have had one inquiry, but most people in this community only want to pay actual price + actual shipping and I am trying to run a business here.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I have had one inquiry, but most people in this community only want to pay actual price + actual shipping and I am trying to run a business here.
Actual price and actual shipping...

Sounds logical to me?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #35
AquaParade
Banned

What an uninspiring little piece of plastic. Good for the kiddo's I suppose.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #36
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Scalping = Buisness that's news to me.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #37
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't like defending playmates and hope they lose the license, but for 2012 they also made nicely painted figures and only gave them to some reviewers/influencers. At least this time they're allowing fans who wanted the nicely painted figures instead of the crappy painted ones that'll be available in stores. This is good, at least we have a choice when last time we didn't have a choice and it seemed like this time we weren't going to have a choice either.

Quote:
Quote:
Ah do you? That's awesome? I might hit you up on somethings from time to time. A fee for doing the favor is definitely fine, though it depends how much, I mean it's already more expensive for us because of the shipping. If you're charging almost the same price as scalpers then yeah you're a scalper as well but if not then I have no problem with paying extra.

Last edited by sdp; 07-10-2018 at 11:58 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #38
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
but for 2012 they also made nicely painted figures and only gave them to some reviewers/influencers.
That's kind of insulting though if reviewers are getting free gifts of an item that can't even offer an entirely authentic review because it isn't how they'll look in stores... but then everyone else (at least this time around) can buy it for 3x retail value.

Esp when this is such a lazy attempt at an exclusive that skilled repainters will undoubtedly easily make their own copies of it/the stock art figures with little effort. (Hell, they'll probably make better looking ones.)

I don't condemn selling them for more, seeing how it's a special limited opportunity to own them early, but that $30 way overshot it. Were I into those designs and looking to grab one, I'd probably comfortably willingly do $20 to have one early, but no more than that.

Thirty bucks... that's like, own them back in February kind of money. lol
Old 07-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #39
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

While I do want the Leo from this exclusive set, I completely agree with others that some minor paint changes are kind of a slap in the face to collectors. Whether it be a size difference or some complete change to make them more coveted, I wish there was more to it.

Me being me...I want it because it's an exclusive Leo. Super dumb reason but I'm a slave to my collection, as are so many of us.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #40
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

What’s really sad is influencers/reviewers work hard putting in many hours. And usually have brand loyalty. And care about the products.

Folks such as Pixel Dan. Yet they get one $30 dollar figure? Not to criticize a freebie but it probably cost Playmates $1 to make.

At least give all four figures to the influencers/reviewers. Imagine all that effort for a $30 figure. Playmates is almost taking advantage of the influencers/reviewers.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote