The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
ABrown
Banned

I Think I Would've Preferred Nick's Series Be Just A Comedy.

With Disney XD airing Phineas & Ferb constantly in preparation for its series finale (man that was a good cartoon), it made me think about the Nickelodeon TMNT series. I absolutely love how Phineas & Ferb had a comedic good vs evil with Perry The Platypus and Dr Evil. I think I would've actually preferred that Nick had made their TMNT series just a comedy. Teen Titans Go! is another series that uses super heroes in just a comedy, without it really being a true "action cartoon". I honestly think I would've enjoyed a TMNT comedy from Nickelodeon more than what they're putting out now. Any thoughts?
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Nobody's opinion is wrong... But your opinion is concentrated evil!

Too many cartoons these days are simply comedies, we need variety. ALso, if the TMNT fanbase is to be believed, TMNT can easily be too comedic and fall apart. Without darker stuff like "Yoshi's love triangle" TMNT loses what sets it apart from other anthropomorphic animal stories, if you make it a simple comedy you're left with nothing but a funny animal cartoon.

And I don't want it to be just another funny animal cartoon in a jungle of comedy cartoons.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Groverman62
Foot Soldier

I'd like the show to find a balance between action and comedy, instead of continuously going back and forth at inappropriate times
Groverman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

The original was just a comedy & 4kids' was a bit heavy on the drama. That we have a nice blend of the two now is great. It's the perfect formula.
If you want more of the same just re-watch your Fred Wolf DVD's or something.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

no more comedy turtle shows. That is why I can't watch the Fred Wolf show for long periods of time.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
raph27
Mad Scientist

No, I like the current blend of comedy/drama. I'd like some more developed arcs, please. (Couldn't believe the big "Dark Raph" deal was one puny episode, and it was stupid mind control.)
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaeltheAwesome View Post
No, I like the current blend of comedy/drama. I'd like some more developed arcs, please. (Couldn't believe the big "Dark Raph" deal was one puny episode, and it was stupid mind control.)
This. More developed arcs, less plot forgeting, more character development, less stupid sh*t.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I don't mind comedy, but I agree I like that this one has fallen in the middle between what the first and second series did.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The original was just a comedy & 4kids' was a bit heavy on the drama. That we have a nice blend of the two now is great. It's the perfect formula.
If you want more of the same just re-watch your Fred Wolf DVD's or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
no more comedy turtle shows. That is why I can't watch the Fred Wolf show for long periods of time.
I never understood why people think that the original series was a comedy. What did anyone find funny during the show? Was it silly, or more accurately "cheesy"? Yes, absolutely. But I don't know that I can think of even one instance when watching the show either as a child or an adult that I actually laughed.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I never understood why people think that the original series was a comedy. What did anyone find funny during the show? Was it silly, or more accurately "cheesy"? Yes, absolutely. But I don't know that I can think of even one instance when watching the show either as a child or an adult that I actually laughed.
The jokes. I found Raph's sarcastic humor funny. ^^ But yeah. It did have humor and it was cheesy by today's standards, but I wouldn't call it a straight up comedy either.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
4th wall breaking
Pop culture references
The action is slapstick
Every answer is a joke
Half of the plots are utterly absurd
The most threatening villains in their universe behave like a married couple
etc

The entire thing is one big gag. Whether or not you found it funny doesn't change the facts.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Some of the jokes in the original toon were very funny. Granted it was more cheesy funny than "great joke" funny, but a lot of it was gold.

It was just some of the weaker Season 3 or 4 episodes that brought the show down, as long as you ignore the crappier episodes and watch the good ones, most of the original toon is still watchable to this day. I enjoy at least 75% of the series to this very day.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
Wildcat
Foot Elite

No. It most likely would have just been dumb wacky or random humor. Basically "Nick Mikey the TV Show".

There's too much of that these days. It's good as is. Solid story and nice action.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:09 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

So you wanted it to be like Teen Titans Go? Ew.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:33 AM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah that's probably the worst TMNT-related thing I can imagine.

I mean if there WAS a TMNT show like that just for the 3-year-olds, and it wasn't the ONLY TMNT show on the air at that moment in time, I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd still by definition be pretty damn terrible.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:49 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Just because it fails at being funny does not it wasn't the intention for it to be funny. "Jelly bean and sauerkraut pizza" and all those other pizza toppings isn't very funny, but it's clearly meant to be funny.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #17
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

No, I like the show as it is. If it's just straight up comedy, that's not a good thing because there's only so much you can do. I like my Turtles to kick some serious enemy a** and to be serious about it, thank you very much. Yes, I liked the original cartoon for what it was, but I'm older now, and I don't want to see that in this series. What we have now is fine.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #18
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaeltheAwesome View Post
I agree with this. The Dark Raph episode, while it had great fight sequences, was extremely lacking.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #19
ABrown
Banned

I guess I just don't think that Nick's TMNT series has found the right mix of action and comedy that the original Teen Titans series or Batman: The Brave & The Bold had. Since Nickelodeon is far more known for comedy than they are for action, I thought that maybe Nick might be better at producing just a pure comedy for the TMNT. I guess I'm the only one who thought that. That's alright, no harm in asking.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #20
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
With Disney XD airing Phineas & Ferb constantly in preparation for its series finale (man that was a good cartoon), it made me think about the Nickelodeon TMNT series. I absolutely love how Phineas & Ferb had a comedic good vs evil with Perry The Platypus and Dr Evil. I think I would've actually preferred that Nick had made their TMNT series just a comedy. Teen Titans Go! is another series that uses super heroes in just a comedy, without it really being a true "action cartoon". I honestly think I would've enjoyed a TMNT comedy from Nickelodeon more than what they're putting out now. Any thoughts?
I felt that some of the early episodes of season 1 felt more like a comedy than a blend of action and humor. Then you had episodes like 8 and 9 where they felt more action based with a little bite of humor. I would prefer the current style of the show since a humor based TMNT series already happened. Unless they were to do something like Batman: The Brave and the Bold where it makes fun of the Silver Age era, it probably could work if executed well.

Why do you feel this way if I may ask?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote