The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #41
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
I didn't think SB's joke was offensive at all. It was funny to me.

As for the whole co-dependency thing, I've never felt like that at all in my relationship, but that doesn't mean that all girls are like that.
To each his own I suppose; I just never found that sub-topic of sexual humor to be funny. Give me a good dead baby joke and I'll laugh, but I think that would be too much for other people, just as the 'losing one's virginity' jokes tend to be for me.

I hope they make April say her piece to both Donnie and Casey, this 'love triangle' business is starting to get on my nerves. I'm hoping she decides to go for Donnie after all, as this CaseyXApril thing is overdone by now and dully predictable, and it would be good to have a change from time to time.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #42
Electric
Epic Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
That may be the saddest thing that I have ever heard and possibly the most infuriating. Is this how girls really think? Do they really feel most value as a human being when they being sought after by guys or is it wish thinking by male writers? Seriously, can someone please explain this idea because it feels so alien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This would be how some guys think most girls think.
It might even be how some girls think, but I blame both of those opinions on the prevailing cultural attitude that a woman's only use is as an object.
I do not at all believe they were referring to this because April is a girl. April is not human. Not because she's a girl, she's a mutant. Having Casey like her and not being able to pick between Donnie and him makes her feel human because she isn't. It makes her feel cared for, not because she's a girl, because she's been kidnapped by aliens, lost her dad, twice, been attacked by ninjas, and discovered her mother was experimented on. Having two people that care about her crush on her just makes her feel normal, because it's something most teenaged experience, guys and girls both.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone in any way, but I hate when feminism is unnecessarily brought up it places where there truly isn't an issue. I get that yeah, our culture isn't the best towards woman, and that there are some major issues out there. But saying that anything involving a girl is a result of cultures attitude towards women bothers me, not because im against it, but because it's unnecessarily criticizing males and our culture.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #43
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricN View Post
I really think this whole Casey disliking Irma think is being blown up a bit. From what we've seen, Irma seems to have a very odd, know it all kind of personality, like when she was interrogating Casey about the ice rink, or talking about rats. Casey, while yeah he's rude, has only been shown to have bad encounters with Irma (her interrogating, her going on what he thinks are his and Aprils dates) and seems to have interests completely opposite of her. So it's not out of place for Casey to dislike her.
To me, it's coming off as if Casey's being a bit of a wad. I don't dislike people just because they have different interests, and even if someone's social interaction style is a bit stilted, that's not a reason to refer to someone as "nasty". I get that they're teenagers and teenagers are immature and judgy, but come on - you can be civil to a mutant turtle, but not a socially awkward teenage girl?

Quote:
I'm sorry if this offends anyone in any way, but I hate when feminism is unnecessarily brought up it places where there truly isn't an issue. I get that yeah, our culture isn't the best towards woman, and that there are some major issues out there. But saying that anything involving a girl is a result of cultures attitude towards women bothers me, not because im against it, but because it's unnecessarily criticizing males and our culture.
... hooboy. All I'm gonna say here is that just because you don't see an issue, doesn't mean it isn't there. Toxic cultural and societal attitudes should always be criticized. And sometimes it's really hard for a person not to get angry about things when there's so much awful, horrible stuff in the world that many of us feel powerless to change. Myself included.

I get that you're not trying to be offensive - honestly, I don't want to start a feminism face-off or derail the thread. Just had to add my two cents.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #44
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Would it better to talk to someone who been through the motions like Master Splinter, who was human but still tries to be human in some ways? Talking to someone that has been there is sort of the first thing you would do as a human being to feel normal.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #45
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Casey dislikes Irma because this show loves every opportunity to reinforce the status quo and ridicule nerdy types. Also all the reasons everyone else said.

I don't know why April is written as leading on Casey and Don, but that's probably just what male writers think women like to do, when really the woman is a) interested but not wanting to go as fast as the guy is, b) not interested but being polite or friendly because in our culture women are socialized not to outright reject people. In this show it appears that April may have a small crush on Casey and considers Don as just a friend, but she seems to like kissing him a lot although she knows he loves her. I'm pretty sure most women do not enjoy leading on people they are not attracted to because then they get tons of attention from someone they don't want it from.

And it was highly disturbing, how understated April's reaction was to thinking Casey was groping her.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #46
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I don't think she's totally leading them on, but I do think she's confused as to who she likes more, so it's hard for her to choose. We know that in the end she'll have to choose one of them, but for now, she can't decide who it is.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #47
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
I don't think she's totally leading them on, but I do think she's confused as to who she likes more, so it's hard for her to choose. We know that in the end she'll have to choose one of them, but for now, she can't decide who it is.
... she should choose Irma.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
Old 06-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #48
Creativecreature31
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
... she should choose Irma.
The Best comment made here so far.
Creativecreature31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #49
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

As much as that would be cool, we know that won't happen at all in this show as too many conservatives would throw a b*tch fit.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #50
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I hate the fact that people say that April is leading Donnie and Casey on and I guess it's because I just don't see it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #51
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
As much as that would be cool, we know that won't happen at all in this show as too many conservatives would throw a b*tch fit.
Well, there's always Tumblr... and fanart. Besides, if Casey's gonna rag on Irma anyway, she might as well really give him something to complain about!

Old 06-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #52
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Don't forget fan fiction, too, Penny.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #53
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
I'm sorry if this offends anyone in any way...
No you're not.

I do so appreciate how you go on to say that you admit that feminism is necessary, but that you don't like it because it hurts your feelings.

You know what hurts my feelings?
That in this day and age we still need a social movement to introduce and reinforce the basic notion that women are people deserving of what should be basic human decency.

It hurts my feelings to come onto a board for a property aimed at children and seeing adults say that a female character is leading on two male characters because she hasn't "chosen" one of them yet, as if choosing neither of them wasn't an option.

Because it's not, not really. Not in our fiction.
The girl HAS to choose a boy, otherwise...why have the girl there at all?
That's what girls are for, right? To be the good girl, the bad girl, or the shrew.
And oh look, those are the same three female characters we have on Turtles.

April, Karai, and now Irma.

Casey hates Irma because he sees her as getting between him and April.
Because April invited her on what Casey thought was a date, clearly indicating that April...DOES NOT WANT TO DATE HIM. And yet...he's angry at Irma because he's oblivious to the fact that April just turned him down.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #54
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Because she has a horrible taste in fashion?
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #55
Creativecreature31
Thug

Hey Irma has great taste in clothing! XD

Casey should talk with all that clashing paint on his clothes! U_U
Creativecreature31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #56
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
Because she has a horrible taste in fashion?
I almost forgot this was why Casey dislikes Irma. When I saw your comment here, my mind jumped to April. lol I like Irma's style.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #57
DarthEmpress
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
No you're not.

I do so appreciate how you go on to say that you admit that feminism is necessary, but that you don't like it because it hurts your feelings.

You know what hurts my feelings?
That in this day and age we still need a social movement to introduce and reinforce the basic notion that women are people deserving of what should be basic human decency.

It hurts my feelings to come onto a board for a property aimed at children and seeing adults say that a female character is leading on two male characters because she hasn't "chosen" one of them yet, as if choosing neither of them wasn't an option.

Because it's not, not really. Not in our fiction.
The girl HAS to choose a boy, otherwise...why have the girl there at all?
That's what girls are for, right? To be the good girl, the bad girl, or the shrew.
And oh look, those are the same three female characters we have on Turtles.

April, Karai, and now Irma.

Casey hates Irma because he sees her as getting between him and April.
Because April invited her on what Casey thought was a date, clearly indicating that April...DOES NOT WANT TO DATE HIM. And yet...he's angry at Irma because he's oblivious to the fact that April just turned him down.
You hit the nail on the head. Casey's very clear that he wants to date April and April knows that, but she keeps bringing Irma along. Why? Because she doesn't want to date him. In a previous episode when she says to Irma she's going to be late for her date with Casey, Irma's like "you expect me to believe that?" Regardless, April still seems amused over Casey calling all their outings a date (she's always smiling when she says "who said this was a date?").

I have no idea where they're going with this whole love triangle thing, but I'm really disappointed in how Casey's acting towards Irma. And how April's acting towards Irma as well.
DarthEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #58
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, it's not like women can be single these days. I always have hated the notion that a woman's role in society is to get married and have children and that's all she's good for in society. I wouldn't mind if April decided not to date either of them if she really felt she didn't want to date either of them. I do like Apriltello, but I wouldn't be upset if April decided to stay single for a time, and I think that's what she wants to do.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #59
electric_sheep
Banned

I read it as "why you dislike Casey and Irma" and i had this long rant in my head about how they suck in this version but then i realised that i read it wrong, well ****.
I will save it for some other thread....
electric_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #60
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

You go Plastron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthEmpress View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Casey's very clear that he wants to date April and April knows that, but she keeps bringing Irma along. Why? Because she doesn't want to date him. In a previous episode when she says to Irma she's going to be late for her date with Casey, Irma's like "you expect me to believe that?" Regardless, April still seems amused over Casey calling all their outings a date (she's always smiling when she says "who said this was a date?").

I have no idea where they're going with this whole love triangle thing, but I'm really disappointed in how Casey's acting towards Irma. And how April's acting towards Irma as well.
Quote:
Yeah, it's not like women can be single these days. I always have hated the notion that a woman's role in society is to get married and have children and that's all she's good for in society. I wouldn't mind if April decided not to date either of them if she really felt she didn't want to date either of them. I do like Apriltello, but I wouldn't be upset if April decided to stay single for a time, and I think that's what she wants to do.
That is the issue that I bring up in concurrence with the others. A woman in popular fiction is rarely ever allowed to be single. Whether it is the common male-female route or the more rare and controversial female-female route, she is rarely allowed to be alone and must *always* be paired up with someone.

It's why I always advocate at least for more single female characters, as it allows the writers to attempt to have a woman character's arc not end in the default marriage and babies, but what the male's often ends up, as either villain, hero, or tragedy. It's not because the woman's is somehow less interesting, but that it gives her a chance to have a destiny not predicated on her reproductive organs and a default societal expectation, but more on her character, flaws and person-hood.

I like the idea of Apritello (as it's not the usual boring AprilxCasey) and I also like the idea of an independent April who doesn't need a man to define who she is as a character. It just makes things a bit more... unpredictable
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casey jones, irma