The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did OotS murder Stephen Amell's film career?
Yep, he's done 3 10.34%
No, he's not done 8 27.59%
This will hurt, but he can come back if given another chance on big screen 18 62.07%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Did OotS murder Stephen Amell's film career?

Obviously whatever happened in OotS won't hurt his starring role in "Arrow" one way or the other... but do you feel his turn as "Casey Jones" may keep him grounded on the small screen (or at least away from major roles) forevermore? Was it wise of him to accept this role after reading the "script"?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:34 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think Ammell did a good job given the role, sure he was not like Casey in many areas but I like what he did. I'm not sure who I think is a better or worse casey, PD or Nick? I guess Nick Casey is more like the actual character but the kid never even gets angry or goes into fits of rage, which Ammell actually does despite him not being like Casey in almost every other area.

As for the actual question, maybe? The guy is honestly not hated in the same way as Megan Fox so I doubt it. Speaking of Fox, I think her performance in this film hurt her career much more than it could ever hurt Amells. As sick as people are of her, atleast I appreciated that she tried in tmnt 2014, whereas in this film her role is diminished to dressing in schoolgirl outfits and seducing her enemies to help the turtles, and the film didn't perform super well even with her in it, showing that people aren't going to go and watch any film just because Fox appeal is slapped on it.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 11-10-2016 at 11:44 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

I think being a pretty mediocre actor with little actual chemistry or talent did that. BayTurtles 2 casted poorly, but that's not a surprise. If this movie didn't cast him at all, he'd likely be in the same boat he is now. He seems like a decent guy, but I think he's a sub-par actor. Casey needs an actor with chemistry and energy, and Amell can't seem to pull off either in a natural way.

IMO, he's CW material. Well... soap opera material, if I'm honest. And a lot of DCTV actors exceed that, thankfully, but he doesn't. "Bland and broody" doesn't take a lot of skill for an actor, and that's all he really does on Arrow. In this movie he tried to be a little livelier, and the result was cringe-worthy. He should stick to what works for him -- boring, blandly-rugged pretty boy characters.

Last edited by Bry; 11-11-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 AM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

People's good fortunes are written already by God. It's already fate, from one's birth to death. I wouldn't worry much.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:19 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
People's good fortunes are written already by God. It's already fate, from one's birth to death. I wouldn't worry much.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:52 AM   #6
snake
Disgusting

Like Bry said, he's not that great of an actor in the first place. It probably ruined his chances of getting bigger, but I can still see him in smaller, mostly TV stuff.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Eh, he's probably fine. He can just continue to build on the tv acting and grain rep for getting better film roles later, if he continues to pursue film. Would not surprise me if people willingly blame the material and the decisions of his superiors more than his acting. Prob in a better spot than the director; now, that guy... hopefully he'll get some other things under his belt that will gloss over this a bit. If the writers, Bay, etc kind of screwed him over, that's just sad.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i'm not sure if it will actually hurt his career at all?

but all i can really say is i hope i don't ever have to see him in another Ninja Turtles film again
Old 11-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

I think the cop-turned-vigilante was interesting, but it wasn't Casey Jones. He was also far too calm and had his life together which is nothing like the character in any version (at least all the ones I've seen/read).

However he does remind me of another character from the comics called Nobody (well, at least that was his vigilante name, I can't remember his real name). He even looks kind of like him so if they had made him Nobody I would have been a lot more receptive to this portrayal.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Dude's gonna be fine. He's friggin Green Arrow on CW's DC Hero lineup. It's like saying Jim Carrey's career went downhill after The Cable Guy.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Or Batman Forever.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Dude's gonna be fine. He's friggin Green Arrow on CW's DC Hero lineup. It's like saying Jim Carrey's career went downhill after The Cable Guy.
Except it kind of did.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Except it kind of did.
Come on, don't tell me that ya didn't like Liar, Liar!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
I think the cop-turned-vigilante was interesting
They should've just used the Nobody character from the Mirage comics. A cop-turned-vigilante-turned-TMNT-ally. There you go. They didn't even care to have him wear the hockey mask, so what's the difference?

Actually what am I saying. I don't even like the character of Nobody all that much but I know he doesn't deserve the PD treatment.

Quote:
Speaking of Fox, I think her performance in this film hurt her career much more than it could ever hurt Amells.
Maybe. If anything, the idea of Megan Fox as an injection of eye candy translating into box office dollars will be gone. That's pretty much all she's had going for her since "Jennifer's Body" flopped (which I actually liked). And now she's "aging out," too.

Quote:
As sick as people are of her,
I think that's largely imaginary.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-26-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #15
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They should've just used the Nobody character from the Mirage comics. A cop-turned-vigilante-turned-TMNT-ally. There you go.
That's exactly what I said...
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

I don't think Casey Jones ruined Stephen Arnell's career. An actor should capable to do any role. If Jim Carrey serious roles didn't have too much success is because he always going to be typecast as the clown with comedy roles.
Klunk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #17
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist

I actually have found Amell to be the only redeeming factor of either of these films.

He really wasn't Casey per say I feel like other than his love of hockey they pretty much-modified everything else but at least I didn't want to physically roll my eyes everytime he was on screen.

Plus he's the star of a CW show. I mean the guys from Supernatural have done pretty trashy horror films and both were later offered starring roles in huge films. (Jared the first G.I. Joe and Jensen the role of Steve Rogers in Captain America, both of which they turned down for Supernatural. *shrugs*)

My friend is a huge fan of Amell and he's a fun personable guy who seems like he's easy to work with. I don't think people will hold the film against him, but then I don't think he's going to be offered Oscar worthy roles anyway. But I could see him offered something in another action-y movie at some point especially with how well he preformed on American Ninja Warrior.

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #18
Shark_Blade
Emperor

After watching the Flash tv series, there are several episodes featuring Amell as Arrow. He's so dark and broody....kinda weird now that I look back at him as Casey - so chirpy and happy go-lucky hotheaded cop lmao.

He made me curious to check the Arrow series (which currently have 5 Seasons (!) and still running series. Season 6 gonna start on 12th Oct this year too).

I think he's gonna be okay. Hope he'll get another crack at the big screen soon.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Steve Arnell is a millionaire and has made more money than any of us will ever see in our entire lifetimes. I'm sure he's doing "ok" and you don't have to "feel bad for him."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oots, stephen amell