The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #661
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the $5 price tag for Universe is too pricey for casuals. They really should drop the back-up stories going forward so it goes down to $4.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #662
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

What about the cover art? The title does say TMNT, but does having actual Turtle art on the cover help catch the eyes of the casuals maybe? Could it only be the price?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #663
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
What about the cover art? The titles does say it all, but does having Turtle art on the cover to help catch the eyes of the casuals? Could it only be the price?
Well the specials/micros always sold less than the ongoing. My guess is casuals don't feel the need to pick up the extra books outside the mains series, even though it's all in continuity and they have several important plot points the main series doesn't cover.

I mean you have to look at it outside the mindset of a hardcore TMNT fan. These people probably pick up dozens of other comics from DC and Marvel a month, and they probably feel buying an extra TMNT book isn't worth it over a new DC/Marvel comic.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #664
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well the specials/micros always sold less than the ongoing. My guess is casuals don't feel the need to pick up the extra books outside the mains series, even though it's all in continuity and they have several important plot points the main series doesn't cover.

I mean you have to look at it outside the mindset of a hardcore TMNT fan. These people probably pick up dozens of other comics from DC and Marvel a month, and they probably feel buying an extra TMNT book isn't worth it over a new DC/Marvel comic.
Yeah I could see that. The big two do have that name recognition thing going on for them, and seem to always have buzz. So I could see in a pick and choose situation D.C./Marvel getting the sale over an "indie." Even if there are good reasons to not pick the D.C./Marvel book. Like plot points you mentioned.

Though TMNTU is not a special/micro so does the comparison hold up? And the Batman/TMNT stuff sold well.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #665
CyberCubed
Overlord

May's sales are in:

TMNT #69: 13,726
TMNT Universe 10: 10,233

Batman TMNT Adventures #6: 23,210
TMNT Funko Universe: 9,856

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-05.html

As expected the Batman/Nick TMNT crossover was the best selling TMNT comic that month. Given how successful both Batman crossovers were, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another one next year.

Also glad the Funko Universe one-shot sold pretty well for what it was, heh.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #666
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
May's sales are in:

Batman TMNT Adventures #6:23,210
TMNT Funko Universe:9,856

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-05.html

As expected the Batman/Nick TMNT crossover was the best selling TMNT comic that month. Given how successful both Batman crossovers were, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another one next year.

Also glad the Funko Universe one-shot sold pretty well for what it was, heh.
Thanks for posting those CyberCubed.
Hey it's great to see the upward tick in the ongoing. Sad though about the continuing trend for Universe. And that's great about those Batman crossovers. I wonder if Batman fans that picked up the books will start checking out more Turtle books now? That would be cool.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #667
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
May's sales are in:

Batman TMNT Adventures #6: 23,210
Wow, Batman/TMNT Adventures sold almost as much as #69 and Universe #10 put together!
Very surprising.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #668
CyberCubed
Overlord

1. It's Batman.
2. It's the B:TAS version of Batman, one of the most popular cartoons/incarnations of the character and people have nostalgia for it.

Not a surprise, really.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #669
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
1. It's Batman.
2. It's the B:TAS version of Batman, one of the most popular cartoons/incarnations of the character and people have nostalgia for it.

Not a surprise, really.
I had figured sales would improve from Adventures' usual lows, since Batman does bring in people. But I didn't expect the sales figures to go up that much.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 AM   #670
CyberCubed
Overlord

June Sales:

TMNT #70: 12,748
TMNT #71: 12,567
TMNT Universe 11: 9,882

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-06.html

Sales are on the decline but TMNT is still IDW's best selling franchise of everything else they have. TMNT outsold everything else IDW put out that month.

Don't know why sales are dipping so fast though, especially for Universe. Maybe they need to re-tool Universe going into next year since its dropped below 10,000 sales already.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:04 AM   #671
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Does anyone have any idea why IDW's "Highlander: The American Dream" hasn't been appearing on the charts since #1? Surely it hasn't been selling THAT badly.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #672
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Does anyone have any idea why IDW's "Highlander: The American Dream" hasn't been appearing on the charts since #1? Surely it hasn't been selling THAT badly.
Taking a look at that list, it includes series barely cracking as low as two thousand units, so I can't imagine it's a case of "it sells too low so it's not on there".

I didn't realize there was an IDW miniseries for Highlander, or they even had the license.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:41 AM   #673
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I didn't realize there was an IDW miniseries for Highlander, or they even had the license.
A lot of people didn't, apparently. Even Highlander fans.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:54 AM   #674
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
A lot of people didn't, apparently. Even Highlander fans.
I like Highlander a lot. I'd probably have at least kept an eye on it if I'd even known it were a thing. The last I knew, Dynamite had the license. I don't know if it's just because I don't pay really close attention to the property these days, given it's kind of in hibernation, but I never heard it switched hands.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:12 AM   #675
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I like Highlander a lot. I'd probably have at least kept an eye on it if I'd even known it were a thing. The last I knew, Dynamite had the license. I don't know if it's just because I don't pay really close attention to the property these days, given it's kind of in hibernation, but I never heard it switched hands.
Dynamite stopped doing stuff with it about 10 years ago. I worked on the last one they did with Brandon Jerwa, the Kurgan 2 parter.

I've also done a licensed full length feature film of Highlander, "Highlander: Dark Places," which is on Amazon now. Also, an additional short film to be shown at the HLWW10 convention in LA this October.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:25 AM   #676
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Dynamite stopped doing stuff with it about 10 years ago. I worked on the last one they did with Brandon Jerwa, the Kurgan 2 parter.

I've also done a licensed full length feature film of Highlander, "Highlander: Dark Places," which is on Amazon now. Also, an additional short film to be shown at the HLWW10 convention in LA this October.
Well that's embarrassing on my part. I didn't realize it has been nearly that long. So little has been done with it the past ten years, I guess I just lost track of time.

That's actually really cool on all fronts. I might have to look into that stuff more.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #677
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm really surprised IDW keeps series going that only have monthly sales in the 5,000's. I guess it somehow still turns a profit for them?
Old 07-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #678
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I'm really surprised IDW keeps series going that only have monthly sales in the 5,000's. I guess it somehow still turns a profit for them?
It seems weird if you go by the standards of DC and Marvel - DC gives series more time to find a level, but Marvel will cut you off at five issues if pre-orders aren't what they want - but these are smaller companies. I'm just guessing, but I imagine there is a lot less immediate investment and overhead going on there which gives them a lot more leeway.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:58 PM   #679
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
It seems weird if you go by the standards of DC and Marvel - DC gives series more time to find a level, but Marvel will cut you off at five issues if pre-orders aren't what they want - but these are smaller companies. I'm just guessing, but I imagine there is a lot less immediate investment and overhead going on there which gives them a lot more leeway.
i think everyone is forgetting that the sales numbers do not include digital sales. I think the art style is starting to hurt the sales of the comics.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #680
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
i think everyone is forgetting that the sales numbers do not include digital sales. I think the art style is starting to hurt the sales of the comics.
We don't get digital sales numbers - they're kept close to the vest for some reason - but it's been suggested from time to time by vague statements from different companies that they're generally not enough to boost flagging or low sales, so I don't think about them much in regards to this sort of thing.

Tags
comic discussion