The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #61
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I think Mikey would be thrilled at having a sister if he weren't busy grieving. I was hoping he'd get to have a chance on-page to get excited before City at War ended.

EDIT: They had to have spoken at least when she was human. They both were pretty heavily involved in caring for the orphans.
I'm pretty sure they spoke in the Michelangelo Macro issue, but I haven't taken the time to go back and reread it for confirmation...
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #62
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

This is by far my favorite image on this issue.

Spoiler:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #63
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Man I get the feeling lita and the trio are going to be getting into some calvin and hobbes mischif down the road. For that matter whos watching them while everyone's at the concert? Can't be april cause of her job. Maybe bea took a side gig from the shelter.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #64
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I can see this version of Mona Lisa hooking up with Donnie. since Raph is already with Alopex. It makes more sense to me.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #65
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
I double-checked. Jennika and Mikey DO talk in the Macro, at the very beginning. They exchange like 3 lines. The crux of my point remains the same, but I was wrong.
Yeah. Just because dialogue has happened doesn't mean any of the Turtles have spent any significant time with Jennika.

Hell, before City at War, only Leo spent much time with her. And that wasn't even enough for this whole "she's our SISTER" relationship IDW is trying to force.

I want it to work, don't get me wrong. But the groundwork and relationship building NEVER HAPPENED.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #66
ChosenOne
Banned

I love the notion of becoming real ninjas who fight for the people of Mutant Town, of setting up a dojo and a new clan, the fact that Saki is looking out for them, all of it. While the sappy, cutesy stuff is often on overload, this is a new and very intriguing direction for the story. The foundation to build something great is definitely there. That general premise alone has me more excited than ever and I don't think it's too bold to compare those particular pages of this issue to the whole of #5 when it comes to setting up all the future arcs, hopefully until #200.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #67
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
I double-checked. Jennika and Mikey DO talk in the Macro, at the very beginning. They exchange like 3 lines. The crux of my point remains the same, but I was wrong.
Remember, folks -- issue #101 picks up 6 months AFTER #100. Things happened during that time, including evolving/growing relationships between individuals and groups. Those things will be revealed. For now, Sophie's rocking it with Mutant Town's current events, awesomely creating a new, exciting world world within the existing IDW TMNT world -- with plenty more kick-butt surprises in store, so keep reading!

Oh, also... Mikey and Jenny have spoken before.

Talk soon...

Tom W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 10.34.16 AM.jpg (19.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 10.40.23 AM.jpg (16.8 KB, 20 views)
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #68
Jazzfox
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
This is by far my favorite image on this issue.

Hells yeah!

I think I'm likely biased in my love of this issue, the aesthetics have got me going good and I'm hyped to see what happens at the show going just by cover alone, lol

(I'm not particularly fond of the term 'written-for-the-trade', but with 105 being the final issue for the TPB Vol 1 I wonder JUST how crazy action could get at the gig!)

It does feel like this issue has a lot of heavy lifting to do as a chapter about bringing the turtles back together and I think it hits the right beats there at finally reuniting the turtles and setting up the goal together as a clan renewed, the dojo sounds like an amazing idea to go with and I love Mikey's enthusiasm about a dojo *ANYONE* can be part of

(I mean, who the heck here wouldn't wanna raise their hands and join Clan Splinter with the Turtles too?)

So yeah, I'm with ChosenOne on the level of excitement the premise has and just how far it can go we'll have to see!

I don't know if it is relevant either, but, I buy the comic in both paper and digital, does anyone else feel a difference in the experience? =O The digital has felt really great the last few issues to get the most out of every panel and take it in

(Please excuse any long time in replies, sometimes offline for long periods!)
Jazzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:07 PM   #69
Jazzfox
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
Man I get the feeling lita and the trio are going to be getting into some calvin and hobbes mischif down the road. For that matter whos watching them while everyone's at the concert? Can't be april cause of her job. Maybe bea took a side gig from the shelter.
Gonna add that to my pile of 'Things Jasmine needs to doodle' later, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Interesting that with Alopex being Raph’s romantic partner this series, it seems like Mona Lisa won’t take a shine to him. Well at least not so far. Wonder what her role will be then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I can see this version of Mona Lisa hooking up with Donnie. since Raph is already with Alopex. It makes more sense to me.
Funnily enough, in that particular image Tigerclaw linked up, look who Mona Lisa is grabbing as her partner for chaperoning this little event? And in particular, check out Donnie's expression

Much like him, lol, I think this one's a stay tuned, he needs to work out the variables to see possible results maybe?

Quote:
Hopefully I didn't come off as too mean. I'm enjoying the comic right now and don't intend to stop reading any time soon, all of the criticism is genuinely meant to be constructive.

I was wrong about the number of lines she had with Mikey and I very much appreciate the correction. But, while that example turned out to be invalid, I still think the point remains the same - their interactions aren't non-existent, but they might as well be. I agree, it's possible that their relationship developed during the timeskip, however, we didn't get to see this ourselves. It's not enough to just TELL us that they're really close now, we need to be shown this, and I don't think the story's done a very good job of that yet. While the comic might end up going back to show us these developments, I am speaking in terms of what we have right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Eyeliner didn't break me. The entire metal outfit broke me.

And yeah, I agree with your thoughts regarding Jennika quickly just being made the fifth Turtle. Maybe we'll still see some of that in issues to come, but I think we're just going to rush forward into new business as usual now. I dunno... we'll see.

I think your points are still valid =O I'm happy with Jennika on the roster, but I can appreciate other folks might want more to seal the deal on her yet

The way I've been looking at Jennika as a 'sister' in the turtles lineup - and I DID get a giggle out of the 'bad apple big sister' line by the by - is less about her being a sister because she's a turtle? And more she's a sister by the bond all of them shared with Splinter

Her and Raph had a spat about the whole expectations of her getting to learn the ropes from the other four now she's a turtle, but I hope that now we have them together and moving forward you'll get to see some more of that bonding on the pages to boot, we have the gang back together now and hopefully that means a lot more of them bouncing off each other more =D

(Also, CKD? I think we have here a picture of the turtles SO metal it now puts the 80's toys to shame!

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...0979f7f6ae.jpg )

(Please excuse any long time in replies, sometimes offline for long periods!)
Jazzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #70
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Brief thoughts:

Nice to see Shredder keeping an eye on the clan, I do wonder what his role is going to be going forward.

I’m all for the Turtles forming their own Ninja clan within Mutant Town, even training other mutants. Also not actually minding Jennika getting a moment amidst the other 4, even as the brothers I think will always have a unique bond. Splinter was a mentor and father figure to her as well, and even at a time when his relationship with the Turtles was strained to nearly breaking. She has a unique perspective and as a former Chuunin and Foot she’s completely qualified to help found a new ninja clan with them. And as she said, being a former human who grew up in New York, she’s acclimated to actual social life in a way the sheltered turtles/former kids from feudal Japan would not be.

I can get behind the metal outfits and the buddies just having a fun night on the town (which will go off without a hitch I’m sure). Speaking toward the eyeliner on Jennika specifically, it might be just part of the metal look but I do think I could read it as her trying to add a dash of femininity to herself. I can’t help but imagine that aspect, losing a lot of the physical traits that define your gender might weigh on your already strained mind when dealing with living in a totally new body.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #71
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzfox View Post
The way I've been looking at Jennika as a 'sister' in the turtles lineup - and I DID get a giggle out of the 'bad apple big sister' line by the by - is less about her being a sister because she's a turtle? And more she's a sister by the bond all of them shared with Splinter

(Also, CKD? I think we have here a picture of the turtles SO metal it now puts the 80's toys to shame!

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...0979f7f6ae.jpg )
The image didn't work for me... shame.

I did love the "bad apple big sister" line, too.

Here's the thing. A lot of people I've talked with HATE the idea of a fifth, girl Turtle. I personally love it, because now I'm looking at the TMNT from my position as the father of a little girl and realizing TMNT historically is pretty light on badass female characters. (I'm sorry, and I'm sure people disagree, but April has rarely if ever been badass.)

But Jennika in execution has left a lot to be desired. I didn't like her before she mutated, I didn't like the Casey/Jennika thing, I didn't like how we were told she was important to the Turtles but never SHOWN she was important. And while the earlier issues in this story arc seemed like they were doing a good job of showing Raph and Jennika learning how to get along, if this 5-issue story arc is IT and the new status quo moves forward seamlessly, I'll be disappointed. I'll enjoy what comes in the future, but where we are now will still disappoint me.

In Sophie's defense, I don't blame her writing. I think IDW has suffered from rushing through story arcs and character development in the past (Vengeance, City at War), as well as overstuffing said story arcs with too many secondary characters.

Not only does this Mutant Town story arc have to introduce the new family dynamic, but it also dropped in a $hit ton of new mutants, Mutant Town, catches up six months after the fact...

But, at the end of the day, I can appreciate IDW probably doesn't want to linger and take things slow; have to keep casual readers interested. It's not Mirage, but it was never going to be and I can appreciate it for what it is. When all is said and done, IDW is one of the few TMNT interpretations I even like.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #72
benea
Mouser

ok. i really liked this issue. they earned their happy reunion. and is mona lisa liking donnie? and who would we like to see come to the turtles dojo? mondo gecko could come to it. or perhaps a few of the orphans? there is so many possibilities? but yeah. great issue. am glad that klunk is back for poor mikey. and glad they had a laugh. a good going forward issue.
benea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #73
puirnaut
Random Punk

Jesus! I did not want my first comment on the forum to be negative, but it really hurt and angered me. I don’t think that there are people who will support my point of view, and if they support me, they will keep silent. But I will write anyway. I am extremely disappointed with the current position of Mona in the series. And these incomprehensible attempts of her relationship with Donatello that are far-fetched are simply disgusting. As if they came from fan fiction such as deviantart. As a Raph/Mona fan, I am extremely unpleasant to see this. I think many fans of these characters from 1987 and 2012 will be as disappointed as I am. I think Sophie receives a lot of letters of displeasure, although she does not recognize this. I think this is a spit in the face of Mona's fans. It's funny when the character who first appeared in the series dedicated to Raphael for these issues did not utter a single phrase to him. Not one! They didn’t even get to know each other. And then Donatello appears and then an incomprehensible spark ran between them. Someone will come into the comic book series after watching the animated series 1987 or 2012. Do you think about what they will think when the characters who are positioned as lovers in the animated series are nobody here to each other? I think they will feel perplexed, and the fans of this couple are disappointed. And when one person crosses out everything that was before- this is simply a manifestation of egoism. I really hope that Sophie will not bring Mona to anyone else. It is better that she remains alone or her love line does not open. I have nothing against Alopex. As a separate character I like her. But to see what happens to my favorite character on the comic book page, which is considered the new canon, is just an insult. Sorry, dear forum users for this post. But when such disrespect is shown to fans, someone should write this. Sorry for my English. And now you can shower me with angry comments. It does not matter anymore. Anyway, nothing can be changed.
puirnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #74
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

so does zink trip, zanna cut, and mushroom put on the ointment?

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #75
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by puirnaut View Post
Jesus! I did not want my first comment on the forum to be negative, but it really hurt and angered me. I don’t think that there are people who will support my point of view, and if they support me, they will keep silent. But I will write anyway. I am extremely disappointed with the current position of Mona in the series. And these incomprehensible attempts of her relationship with Donatello that are far-fetched are simply disgusting. As if they came from fan fiction such as deviantart. As a Raph/Mona fan, I am extremely unpleasant to see this. I think many fans of these characters from 1987 and 2012 will be as disappointed as I am. I think Sophie receives a lot of letters of displeasure, although she does not recognize this. I think this is a spit in the face of Mona's fans. It's funny when the character who first appeared in the series dedicated to Raphael for these issues did not utter a single phrase to him. Not one! They didn’t even get to know each other. And then Donatello appears and then an incomprehensible spark ran between them. Someone will come into the comic book series after watching the animated series 1987 or 2012. Do you think about what they will think when the characters who are positioned as lovers in the animated series are nobody here to each other? I think they will feel perplexed, and the fans of this couple are disappointed. And when one person crosses out everything that was before- this is simply a manifestation of egoism. I really hope that Sophie will not bring Mona to anyone else. It is better that she remains alone or her love line does not open. I have nothing against Alopex. As a separate character I like her. But to see what happens to my favorite character on the comic book page, which is considered the new canon, is just an insult. Sorry, dear forum users for this post. But when such disrespect is shown to fans, someone should write this. Sorry for my English. And now you can shower me with angry comments. It does not matter anymore. Anyway, nothing can be changed.
Mona is a completely different character in this comic. And the Raph/Alopex pairing is something that's been built up for almost the entirety of it. Also Raph has had other romances in different comic iterations (Ninjara comes to mind). Basically... the comics don't follow the story of the original cartoon... they never have. Each comic is their own continuity, so having Mona be different is not at all out of the ordinary. And she's not the first character from other iterations to play a different role in the story.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #76
Kyo Hisagi
Random Punk

Seeing all four brothers (and a Big Apple sister) laughing together was kinda heartwarming. I really liked the issue
Kyo Hisagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #77
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by puirnaut View Post
Posts like this are why I've always begged the cosmos to keep Mona out of TMNT. Her fans are absolutely nuts. For a throwaway Sell-More-Toys character/episode, some people really blow their hype out of proportion. She was as shallow as can be, & as such, completely malleable for future iterations. & for the rabid nature of those who prop her up, y'all seem only to value her as a love interest, which is an insult to both the character & women alike.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #78
LUIS
Random Punk

While I share some thoughs regarding Jennika I like this issue. I'm glad the turtles are together again and honoring Splinter. I like that Raph /Al relationship is finally begining to be acknowledge .
LUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 PM   #79
puirnaut
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Posts like this are why I've always begged the cosmos to keep Mona out of TMNT. Her fans are absolutely nuts. For a throwaway Sell-More-Toys character/episode, some people really blow their hype out of proportion. She was as shallow as can be, & as such, completely malleable for future iterations. & for the rabid nature of those who prop her up, y'all seem only to value her as a love interest, which is an insult to both the character & women alike.
Do not distort the meaning of my post. After all, you translate the topic. Moreover, you do it on purpose. To agree or disagree with me is your right. But dare not distort the meaning of what I wrote. I really like this character, and I'm sorry that only a name is left of her.
puirnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #80
Powder
So tired of this place

She's a mutant lizard with a ponytail & background in high-level science studies... I fail to see the problem. That's all she ever was.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote