The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
pferreira
Foot Elite

TMNT II Secret of the Ooze Dedication Controversy

I know that when TMNT II was released that it came with a dedication for Jim Henson who had recently passed away. But his family apparently weren't happy as they didn't want a franchise that had got a reputation amongst parental groups for being violent to be associated with Henson's name:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage...et_of_the_Ooze

What do you guys think? Were they right to complain? Do you think Henson's family overreacted? TMNT II isn't a great film by any means but it's not that bad and even if you dislike the film the fact that the production team bothered to put a dedication at the start of the film is commendable for two reasons. Firstly it's showing respect for someone who they had high admiration for, secondly we have to remember that this isn't a Jim Henson movie, Henson's company only worked on these films therefore the fact the TMNT production team made that effort is pretty nice of them.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

It's not really our place to say.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's not really our place to say.
I get what you mean. It's a difficult thing to talk about and a difficult position for the production team to be in. You can certainly make arguments for the dedication and not.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Looking at it from 2017, it doesn't seem like much but back then when violent cartoons (which are not violent by today's standards) were heavily frowned upon, so I imagine the family didn't want late Jim Henson's reputation to be ruined by having his name attached to tmnt.

Although to be fair, even if I did think violent cartoons were bad, tmnt 2 was heavily toned down from the first where it got criticism for having too much slapstick and the turtles not using their weapons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was unaware there was a controversy. I do not see what the problem is giving thanks for the costume production. Besides, I thought the weapons limitation was to cater to parents. Having done that what is there to be upset about?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

I went to the Seattle mopop museum which had the Henson exhibit and there wasn't 1 thing about the turtles. I wondered why since at the time it was there most technically advanced puppets, but that would probably explain why there was nothing there. Makes me wonder why they even did the suits for the 2nd movie if they were so displeased with the turtles.

The only reason he agreed to do them in the first place was because of Steve Barron and he wasnt even the director for soto
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

I could be mistaken but I think his son was already taking over at that point, & he was quite fond of the property AFAIK.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
Logan
Hench Mutant

If Henson didn't want to be associated with it, the Henson Creature Shop should never have worked on it. Seems simple enough to me.

Might explain why the Shop didn't do effects for III, though.

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

No weapons cheesy fight, terrible story/script, pointless Keno, ... No wonder this film is worse than TMNT 3 for me.

At least Turtles in Time is watchable despite the downgraded costume.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

There's a part of me that hears this and kinda wants to do the ol' eyeroll ().
There's another part of me that has learned that when people are in grief mode, let them do what they need to do to grieve. So, I guess I agree with Powder. It's really not our place to say.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #11
ABrown
Banned

Sounds to me like maybe his family should learn to take a compliment.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Yeah, seems a bit harsh considering Brian Henson was second unit director on the first film and the family company produced the creature fx for SOTO. Perhaps People magazine was being a bit sensationalist? Who knows...

I've always read Henson wasn't used for 3 due to budgetary reasons. I might can confirm this... will have to dig.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntgeoff View Post
I went to the Seattle mopop museum which had the Henson exhibit and there wasn't 1 thing about the turtles. I wondered why since at the time it was there most technically advanced puppets, but that would probably explain why there was nothing there. Makes me wonder why they even did the suits for the 2nd movie if they were so displeased with the turtles.

The only reason he agreed to do them in the first place was because of Steve Barron and he wasnt even the director for soto
That's kind of a bummer honestly...not going to lie I'm a little miffed they didn't put the Turtles in the exhibit (that I just found out about)
Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

I do find it ironic that in retrospect since 1991 there have been a lot more violent films for teens and kids. TMNT II is today seen as pretty much harmless a movie. It is possible that at the time due to the nature of the TMNT property Henson's family were embarrassed to have the TMNT name associated with his last project. Kind of like how critics or viewers don't want a respected actor's last film to be a Michael Bay Transformers movie or something like that.

Dammit I'm sure Farscape is the key to all of this:

Old 08-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #15
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I do find it ironic that in retrospect since 1991 there have been a lot more violent films for teens and kids. TMNT II is today seen as pretty much harmless a movie. It is possible that at the time due to the nature of the TMNT property Henson's family were embarrassed to have the TMNT name associated with his last project. Kind of like how critics or viewers don't want a respected actor's last film to be a Michael Bay Transformers movie or something like that.
But it's been so many years why wouldn't they just include it in a gallery/show showcasing Henson's work.
Michael Bay is honestly....something else entirely.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #16
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
But it's been so many years why wouldn't they just include it in a gallery/show showcasing Henson's work.
Michael Bay is honestly....something else entirely.
Any appreciated artist or actor wants to go out on a high note. I think Henson's family were worried that Henson's legacy would be partly seen as TMNT.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #17
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Any appreciated artist or actor wants to go out on a high note. I think Henson's family were worried that Henson's legacy would be partly seen as TMNT.
I get that...but still though. Now everytime I see Sesame Street or the Muppets with my niece I can only think of how he didn't want the TMNT associated with his name lol. I mean even if people bring up that Henson worked on the original puppets for the movies to lay people it doesn't really phase them....
Old 08-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
I mean even if people bring up that Henson worked on the original puppets for the movies to lay people it doesn't really phase them....
I suppose not now. Lots of more crazy franchises have come out since then.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #19
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

If the parents then had known what the world would look like now, they wouldn't have wasted their time complaining.

Seems ridiculous to protest the dedication when his shop did in fact design the costumes.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #20
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
If the parents then had known what the world would look like now, they wouldn't have wasted their time complaining.

Seems ridiculous to protest the dedication when his shop did in fact design the costumes.
REALLY ridiculous honestly