The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 07-22-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Modern Music

Who else agrees that the quality of music has gone downhill since the 2010’s?

I love 80’s, 90’s, and early 2000’s music. Anything else after that? Blehh.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:48 PM   #2
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

depends on the artist and genre

there are some modern songs that have 80s influence in them, especially Ginger Root's songs,

but if you mean pop music that's in the charts right now, yeah a lot of the time I don't really keep up with new releases unless it's from an artist/band I enjoy
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Even for the Drome, this is a pretty silly thread
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #4
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...19/304/old.jpg

Even for the Drome, this is a pretty silly thread
I just asked how everyone felt about today’s music, and then I get called a boomer.

Let’s say, hypothetically, someone stepped on a cat’s tail, recorded its caterwauling and for reason that is considered to be the new ”music” of the decade and then every artist starts recording cat screeches and howls. If I said that it wasn’t even real music and that it was just a bunch of cat noises, would you call me a “boomer” who’s trying to live in the past?

I wasn’t even born yet in the 80’s, but I love the music from that decade (not all of the songs but a lot of them). I even like some music from the 60’s and 70’s. Of course what sucked then still sucks today, and being old doesn’t automatically make it “classic”. And ask yourself this: why are so many shows and movies nowadays based in the 80’s? I’ll tell you why. Because 1.) that decade rocked and 2.) there’s a shortage in creativity in the 2020’s so they have no choice but to go retro.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

FYI you can get called a "boomer" for anything at all around here these days, but especially for having taste and standards. It's pretty ass.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:39 PM   #6
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
FYI you can get called a "boomer" for anything at all around here these days, but especially for having taste and standards. It's pretty ass.
Tell me about it. Even my Dad, who was actually a Boomer, had better taste than a great portion of the younger generation.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:08 AM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Everything become homogenized, so if something popular it immediately spawns even more clones than even before. And due to the fact that music making is now available to everyone with a half of a brain, market instantly flooded with low quality cloned crap.

Not that big budget acts are better: constant flood of samey wannabe indie rock crap and kinda-rap is just horrible. I'd say its like a new disco, but even disco managed to spawn something good in the end. I don't see it happening here.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #8
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

There are two fallacies when it comes to comparing one era to another:

"Everything was better then, why can't we go back to how things were!"

or,

"Everything sucked then, it should have been more like it is now!"

Humans love to believe that the times they are living through are somehow more remarkable then any other period of time. We tend to believe that either things will keep getting better forever (the myth of progress) or that things will inevitably end horribly (the doomsday fallacy) but linear time itself is an illusion and existence will keep going on, in some form, forever and ever amen.

You can find music that sucked in the 60s, 70s, & 80s, just like you can find good music today if you look harder
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #9
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
There are two fallacies when it comes to comparing one era to another:

"Everything was better then, why can't we go back to how things were!"

or,

"Everything sucked then, it should have been more like it is now!"

Humans love to believe that the times they are living through are somehow more remarkable then any other period of time. We tend to believe that either things will keep getting better forever (the myth of progress) or that things will inevitably end horribly (the doomsday fallacy) but linear time itself is an illusion and existence will keep going on, in some form, forever and ever amen.

You can find music that sucked in the 60s, 70s, & 80s, just like you can find good music today if you look harder
Granted that every decade has its ups and downs, but the 80’s just seemed more…lively and upbeat. And the music reflected that fun spirit, which is why it still makes us feel good to this day.

Keep in mind, I’m 30 years old, so I’m relatively still young. I’m not some 50-60 year old fuddy-duddy who hates on everything new. Look, face the music (heh, see what I did there?): this decade bites, including culturally. The fact that you have to look hard to find good music nowadays is just sad. So forgive me if I tend to go back a couple of decades to look for good music.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
80’s just seemed more…lively and upbeat. And the music reflected that fun spirit, which is why it still makes us feel good to this day.
It also had an extremely dark side. The tone of that decade was.

Dance and have fun today, tommorow, NATO and the Warsaw Pact may be at nuclear weapon war against each other.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

yeah the huey and the news scene from American psycho is a good example of joyful music being displayed in a dark decade

I love the American Psycho soundtrack and 80s music but yeah
Old 07-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #12
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Granted that every decade has its ups and downs, but the 80’s just seemed more…lively and upbeat. And the music reflected that fun spirit, which is why it still makes us feel good to this day.

Keep in mind, I’m 30 years old, so I’m relatively still young. I’m not some 50-60 year old fuddy-duddy who hates on everything new. Look, face the music (heh, see what I did there?): this decade bites, including culturally. The fact that you have to look hard to find good music nowadays is just sad. So forgive me if I tend to go back a couple of decades to look for good music.
if you like 80s music, then what do you think of the vaporwave/future funk/city pop subgenres, a lot of those involve sampling old Japanese 80s tracks, Ginger Root is a good modern artist, yet his music has a lot of 80s influence, especially in songs like Loretta, Neighbour, Loneliness and City Slicker

he also did a cover of the Evangelion theme
Old 07-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #13
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonTurtledude View Post
if you like 80s music, then what do you think of the vaporwave/future funk/city pop subgenres, a lot of those involve sampling old Japanese 80s tracks, Ginger Root is a good modern artist, yet his music has a lot of 80s influence, especially in songs like Loretta, Neighbour, Loneliness and City Slicker

he also did a cover of the Evangelion theme
Well, a good example I can think of is “New Person, Same Old Mistakes” by Tame Impala. It was recorded in 2015 but it’s got an 80’s kind of influence to it, and I actually really like it. Of course, if it wasn’t for the “Atlanta” trailer I wouldn’t have found out about it.

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 07-24-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:40 PM   #14
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Tame Impala is good, Dua Lipa's second album also had some retro influence on it, not sure if you've heard of the artist Mitski, but she had a few songs on her Laurel Hell album that were very retro sounding like the Only Heartbreaker
Old 07-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #15
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It also had an extremely dark side. The tone of that decade was.

Dance and have fun today, tommorow, NATO and the Warsaw Pact may be at nuclear weapon war against each other.
True. But if I could sum up the 2020’s:

Be angry and afraid all the time because the world, which will end in a decade due to climate change, is full of toxic, bigoted people.