The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #61
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm surprised by how many of the shows listed in this thread got a reboot or continuation, maybe I should've posted in the thread as well

For my I'd say Mighty Max, great show with an awesome concept that isn't really been done anywhere else.

I also second Skeleton Warriors, the lore of it was awesome and could be made into a full blown awesome reboot.

DinoRiders - Dinosaurs with Lasers? Oh yeah, even the 80s 13 episode show that reeks of the worst tropes of cartoons from that era was able to be memorable because of the concept.

All three of the above were also amazing toylines that would be really appealing still to this day for me.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of Skeleton Warriors, although the only reason I care is for the nostalgia over the toys and trading cards rather than the show itself.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #63
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

*Futurama (I know it's come back before but you can't have enough of this show, and that new game that just came out with all the original VA's gives me hope)
*Mazinger Z
*Heathcliff
*Pinky and the Brain
*Duck Dodgers

Last edited by DestronMirage22; 07-01-2017 at 10:47 PM.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #64
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Batman: The Animated Series
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Star Trek: Enterprise
Darkwing Duck
TMNT '03
Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #65
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Carmen Sandiego.... and it's coming back as a reboot on Netflix 2019!
http://deadline.com/2017/04/carmen-s...es-1202071382/

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #66
Vicky82
Emperor

I just watched the whole series of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors on You Tube.

It's a shame it got cancelled due to bad toy sales.

I would love to see a reboot.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #67
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Don't trust the b in Apartment 23
Gargoyles
Dollhouse
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Other than the above shows, I wouldn't want any other classic shows to be brought back, to be honest. Some shows like Dallas, Heroes and Biker Mice from Mars are better off left in the past as evidenced by their failed recent revivals.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #68
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

The Pirates of Dark Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Nice!
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #69
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Animaniacs

Samurai Jack (at least a finale)

Young Justice

bring Hillenburg's team back to SpongeBob
Man, a lot of justice has been served since 2014. It's pretty insane to think a lot of these seemed like distant dreams back then.

Other than the ones that have happened (Samurai Jack, Young Justice, etc.) and Dave the Barbarian (that show was just getting started, man), I think bringing shows back as often as we currently are is a bit harmful. Inevitably, it becomes networks just trying to cash in on a previously popular franchise, and we all know how that turns out. Currently, at least in animation, it's leading to a saturation of these revivals/reboots, and that's dangerous as it decreases the networks' abilities to try new things.

I'd just be careful what you wish for when it comes to these things. When you think about something like Danny Phantom, you have to remember that season 3 was not very good, and this can be largely attributed to Steve Marmel, a head story editor, leaving the show. If Danny Phantom was revived, there would still be no Marmel, and there would be a fairly good chance we wouldn't get a very good fourth season.

I'd rather most of these shows remain untouched than be brought back for less-than-quality revivals.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #70
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Must everything come back these day, even if the trademark is no longer strong enough?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #71
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Shows I would like to see come back as a (good)continuation would be....

W.i.t.c.h.
Kim Possible
Thundercats(2011)
Green Lantern
Pirates of Dark Water
He-Man(2002)
SWAT Kats
The Tick
Gravity Falls
Teen Titans
Justice League Unlimited
Danny Phantom
Gargoyles
Duck Dodgers

Shows I would like to see a (good)reboot of would be...

Jonny Quest
Smurfs
RainbowBrite
Jem and the Holograms
Silverhawks
Count Duckula
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
Inhumanoids
C.O.P.S.
Captain N The Game Master
Dinosaucers
Snorks
She-Ra
The Littles
Galaxy High

Shows I would just like to see something(good) done with them...

Tiny Toons
Gummi Bears
Talespin
Chip N' Dales' Rescue Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Dexter's Lab
Mighty Max
Dungeons and Dragons
Freakazoid
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
The Real Ghostbusters

Last edited by drgon78; 07-02-2017 at 12:36 PM.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #72
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
*Futurama (I know it's come back before but you can't have enough of this show, and that new game that just came out with all the original VA's gives me hope)
*Mazinger Z
*Heathcliff
*Pinky and the Brain
*Duck Dodgers
Doesn't Mazinger Z get rebooted all the time, everytime I look at the wiki there seems to be a new movie or ova added

Futurama already had one revival that maybe shouldn't have happened, it shouldn't become another endless Family Guy or Simpsons show.

Pinky and the Brain could work but who knows, maybe its best to leave it in the past as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Must everything come back these day, even if the trademark is no longer strong enough?
Well there are many shows that have a lot of potential that wasn't realized or deserve new stories. There are a few weak IPs in the thread but not all of them are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Oh, yes, hated it as a kid but re-watched it as an adult and loved it. It reminds me a lot of the world of Avatar The Last Airbender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

http://i.imgur.com/d2drbsq.jpg

I'm looking forward to this one, I'm a huge fan of Carmen Sandiego, I recently watched and reviewed the show. Hopefully we can get some video games or the old ones on steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of Skeleton Warriors, although the only reason I care is for the nostalgia over the toys and trading cards rather than the show itself.
The cartoon is definitely weak, it's not horrible and there are many terrible 90s shows that its better than but the 90s also had great stuff and it didn't quite match them since it was just passable.

But you're right, the toys, and artwork and lore was awesome, under some better hands the IP could become huge, it really was a more modern version of Masters of the Universe mixing technology and magic in a cool way. Sadly the kickstarter for the figures basically failed and only one figure was made, I just bought it recently, it looks great.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #73
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still can't believe there's a new Dragonball series airing in the year 2017, for a franchise that originally ended way back in 1996.

It just boggles the mind all those years of people spreading rumors in the early 2000's of Dragonball coming back with a new series like, "AF" or something after GT, and it actually happened in 2015. And even better a direct continuation of DBZ and ignores GT.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #74
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I still can't believe there's a new Dragonball series airing in the year 2017, for a franchise that originally ended way back in 1996.

It just boggles the mind all those years of people spreading rumors in the early 2000's of Dragonball coming back with a new series like, "AF" or something after GT, and it actually happened in 2015. And even better a direct continuation of DBZ and ignores GT.
That isnt' surprising at all, dude. They kept making DBZ games in the current century. That franchise is a huge cash cow. There's so many goddamn DBZ products out there that no one can even keep track of them.

DBZ is a really odd phenomenon. Every time a rerun airs on TV, people born between 1981 and 1992 will watch it again out of nostalgia purposes. How does that show have such a long lasting nostalgia for it and how it's able to appeal to anyone from age 16 to age 36 is beyond me. They say it's because it was the first ever shounen anime to become a big hit worldwide, but before DBZ people were watching Saint Seiya and Captain Tsubasa in Europe and Latin America. Tsubasa has nostalgia for it but nowhere on the same level as DBZ whilst Saint Seiya doesn't seem to be talked about as much and mostly having a cult following nowadays, I guess?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That isnt' surprising at all, dude. They kept making DBZ games in the current century. That franchise is a huge cash cow. There's so many goddamn DBZ products out there that no one can even keep track of them.
It was a surprise. There was no new Dragonball series in 18 years. GT really was "the end" of the franchise outside of merch/toys for almost two decades. We occasionally got one-off specials every so often, but there was no new series for nearly 20 years. The Beerus movie came out in 2013 and that's what essentially started the revival of Dragonball. Then in 2015 we got the Freeza movie and Super started that July.

Everyone thought Dragonball was done for good. GT bombed, Toriyama didn't want to continue the franchise, that's why teens kept spreading fake rumors of the series returning, or people made their own fanfiction manga and so forth. It was a huge shock when a new series was announced.

You have to remember for Japanese fans Dragonball ended in 1996. For dub fans in the west it ended around 2006 or so. For the west it's only been about 10 years for Dragonball's revival, in Japan it was closer to 20.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #76
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It was a surprise. There was no new Dragonball series in 18 years. GT really was "the end" of the franchise outside of merch/toys for almost two decades. We occasionally got one-off specials every so often, but there was no new series for nearly 20 years. The Beerus movie came out in 2013 and that's what essentially started the revival of Dragonball. Then in 2015 we got the Freeza movie and Super started that July.

Everyone thought Dragonball was done for good. GT bombed, Toriyama didn't want to continue the franchise, that's why teens kept spreading fake rumors of the series returning, or people made their own fanfiction manga and so forth. It was a huge shock when a new series was announced.

You have to remember for Japanese fans Dragonball ended in 1996. For dub fans in the west it ended around 2006 or so. For the west it's only been about 10 years for Dragonball's revival, in Japan it was closer to 20.
Weren't there games realeased in the previous decade? I remember people talking about the Bodokai series.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

Videogames were always released, sure, but no new series. Kai also doesn't really count as it's just spliced together old episodes.