The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

'A Ghost Story' Director Would Make a Ninja Turtles Movie

Anyone familiar with this guy or his work? While would certainly isn't a will, it's still nice to see people interested and this soon.

http://screenrant.com/ghost-story-da...ninja-turtles/

Quote:
The director of A Ghost Story might not be the first filmmaker you would suspect of being a fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But David Lowery is most assuredly so according to a recent interview, and would be totally up for doing a Turtle movie. Not only that, but he’s got aspirations to do a surprise blockbuster movie that would fly under the radar and make a splash at the cinema, in a similar style to Cloverfield.

A Ghost Story is just hitting cinema screens in the US, and it’s as unlikely a summer film as you’re ever likely to see. Despite the title, the film is neither a scare-fest or a comedy spoof, even with Casey Affleck wandering around with a sheet over his head. Instead the plot (which was also written by Lowery) sees a man return to his home after a fatal accident, taking the form of a Scooby-Doo-type ghost, and trying to connect with his emotionally devastated wife. It’s a quirky Indie production with serious themes exploring love, loss, and the enormity of existence. The film premiered at Sundance this year and currently has a rating of 84% on Rotten Tomatoes with a lot of positive feedback. Lowery is able to shift between Indie films (Ain’t Them Bodies Saints) and more mainstream fare, as proven when he recently made the live-action Pete’s Dragon for Disney. Even so, his love for the Turtles remains a little surprising and admirably honest.

Whilst speaking to Uproxx, Lowery indicated the difficulties in getting A Ghost Story made and convincing the leads Affleck and Rooney Mara of his vision with the story. He also asks that people don’t make memes of Mara’s 5-minute pie-eating sequence. However, when talk turns to the Turtles, he says:

“I would do a Ninja Turtles movie … I thought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze was the best movie ever when that came out. I went back and watched that and I was like, oh man, I feel so bad for my parents for having to sit through this three times with me. I bought the soundtrack on cassette …”.

When asked about the most recent Turtles movies, he adds “I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first one, but had high praise for the sequel, The second one actually felt like a literal recreation of the cartoon. It was so true to the cartoon. Even with Krang flying away at the end, saying, “I’ll be back” – like shaking his tentacle at them. It was so goofy, but I liked it”

With many auteurs and Indie filmmakers spurning mainstream cinema, it’s actually refreshing to hear those candid and unashamed quotes from a respected director. Away from the green characters though, Lowery wants to continue to surprise the audiences with his work. His ultimate aim is produce a film that misses festivals and publicity drives, and yet still gets positive word of mouth and box-office when it arrives on cinema screens. “The Cloverfield movies I guess are the closest where that’s happened“, he says. Hopefully the response to A Ghost Story will increase his reputation, as will his next projects, the comedy drama Old Man and the Gun, and another live-action Disney remake of Peter Pan. In the meantime, we’re tempted to keep an eye out for Lowery’s reboot of the Turtles, as unlikely as that is.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
When asked about the most recent Turtles movies, he adds “I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first one, but had high praise for the sequel, The second one actually felt like a literal recreation of the cartoon. It was so true to the cartoon. Even with Krang flying away at the end, saying, “I’ll be back” – like shaking his tentacle at them. It was so goofy, but I liked it”
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I saw the article earlier this week, but have no idea who the guy is or what he's done.

If the man only refers to the movies (old or new) WITHOUT referring to the comics (Mirage, IDW, or even Archie), I'm not interested. Enough with the toy/cartoon pandering.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Good and fair point... (Now if someone could help educate him first... Maybe we can send in Andrew. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Can't say that response wasn't expected. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Gotta agree with Andrew here, I don't want anyone praising the second PD movie (let alone either one of them) anywhere near an official TMNT project.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

TMNT needs a talented and proven filmmaker to take an interest... somebody like James Gunn, or the Super Russo Bros, or Peter Jackson, or Edgar Wright.

I'd say Guillermo del Toro, but the man takes on too many ideas and never does anything with most of them, so he's out.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Forget about, "Should this person make a new TMNT movie?" -- anyone in the industry caught saying or even suggesting "I really dug the second PD TMNT movie" pretty much just needs to be blacklisted from ever working on any motion picture, ever, in any capacity.

And possibly drug into the street and shot. Possibly both.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題

I would make a Ninja Turtles movie, too. And my cinematic oeuvre is just as well known as this guy's.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

He probably won't ever get the chance, considering he isn't well known.
And I'm thankful for that. He clearly only knows FW/movies and we don't need any more of their influence in any films. And if he actually praises any of the PD films, we reeeeaaaally don't want him working on anything TMNT.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
He probably won't ever get the chance, considering he isn't well known.
That didn't stop them from letting Bay hire the two puppet directors on both movies.

Quote:
And if he actually praises any of the PD films, we reeeeaaaally don't want him working on anything TMNT.
He probably is like the dumb writers of OotS, who even right now are still sitting there scratching their heads going, "I just don't understand... why didn't people like our movie?"
Old 07-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm all for new and unproven filmmakers for some properties, but TMNT has been underestimated and exploited for toys/merch/pizza for far too long.

I want a filmmaker with a proven track record that I can examine and say "Yes, this man/woman has proven that they can make a damn good movie."
Old 07-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Dave Green

Was Dave Green (who directed "Out of the Shadows") also a TMNT fan as a child?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Was Dave Green (who directed "Out of the Shadows") also a TMNT fan as a child?
"I grew up as a huge fan of The Turtles. I watched the cartoon every day with my friends after school." - Dave Green

http://screenrant.com/teenage-mutant...een-interview/

Old 07-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
Overlord

I think we must be prepared for upcoming versions having different background stories of the turtles than those we all know.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Anyone familiar with this guy or his work? While would certainly isn't a will, it's still nice to see people interested and this soon.

http://screenrant.com/ghost-story-da...ninja-turtles/
I'm ok with him directing a new TMNT movie, he directed the Pete's Dragon remake for Disney, which I thought was really good, it wasn't like the original, but the remake had a lot of heart to it.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #16
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I'm ok with him directing a new TMNT movie, he directed the Pete's Dragon remake for Disney, which I thought was really good, it wasn't like the original, but the remake had a lot of heart to it.
More about him here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lowery_(director))

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 07-07-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
He's proven that he can make quality movies with that Pete's Dragon remake, so I could see him do a TMNT movie if given the chance.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
He's proven that he can make quality movies with that Pete's Dragon remake, so I could see him do a TMNT movie if given the chance.
That'd be like giving a Batman movie to a Shrek director, because they did a good Shrek movie. It's not remotely the same kind of material.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
That'd be like giving a Batman movie to a Shrek director, because they did a good Shrek movie. It's not remotely the same kind of material.
The Pete's Dragon remake wasn't anything like the original movie, since that was a musical, and this remake was a serious take on it
Old 07-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #20
Overlord

I haven't seen any David Lowery.

Tags
cferreira, must be thursday, out_of_pills