The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #41
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I like shuriken. He's a kid, he don't know any better.

But yeah, the word "butt-hurt" should be something you can hit someone in the face for. "Your honor, the defendant admits he did indeed punch the plaintiff square in the face, shattering all but two of his teeth and resigning him to eating the remainder of his life's meals through a straw, BUT, I say this to you, in his defense: The plaintiff accused him of being... (long, dramatic pause) ... 'Butt-Hurt'." "I see your point. Not only is the defendant Not Guilty, but I hereby sentence the plaintiff to death."

Thundarr is okay but you can't even compare the cultural impact. I like what I've seen of it but it's not like more than ten people would care if they announced a movie of that. It'd be nice if there was, but eh.

It's not the character designs I'm super-worried about. It's that McG is an awful director, who's only "success" is a Terminator movie that apparently only I think isn't worthless, that probably would have been worthless if Bale wasn't carrying it. Frankly, I expect some of the characters will look different, I mean the 80s movie characters looked fine, to me, even then I never expected them to look 1:1 like the cartoons. I just think the guy is a crummy director and that the movie itself is probably gonna suck.
Well, the main reason was He-man was the first cartoon to sell toys. I mean a major market for toys, that 3 years earlier, Thundarr and other cartoons, never got the chance that He-man did.

With the show, and the toys, and the major profits, shows like My Little Pony, GI Joe, BraveStarr and Sh-ra, All will have there toy line, and will bring in the big bucks. He-man started it, and I take nothing away from it, but I felt Thundarr was the better show.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #42
Leo656
The Franchise

Standards and practices means He-Man could barely even hit bad guys, let alone kill them. The shows were made years apart and "the rules" changed along the way between Thundarr and MOTU. That's hardly a valid critique.

Further, in the original storyline, He-Man lived in the jungle as a nomadic barbarian and had no connection to the royal family. He was merely a Wandering Badass who righted wrongs with his giant axe (the Power Sword was originally more of an Excalibur "Only-Those-Who-Are-Worthy" kind of deal and not specifically "his" weapon, in the original comic he even returned it to the stone he drew it from after defeating Skeletor, rather than keep it for himself).

Anyways, enough semantics. There's nothing "wrong" with Thundarr but if you honestly expect the general public to have the same fond remembrance about that property the way they do for MOTU, well, they don't, and they never will. Life's not fair sometimes.

I honestly only barely saw Thundarr when it was fresh but I just recently made a big list of old cartoon shows I have to buy, and rest assured that one made the list. It's not about which is "better", for me, because nothing is ever going to top He-Man, but the whole "Star Wars meets Dungeons and Dragons" concept, I'm a huge fan of regardless of where it's being done.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 01-23-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #43
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

It might be odd for me to bring this up, but in the spirit of the franchise, have you seen the 2002 television series Leo? Any thoughts on it?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #44
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
it had an awesome cartoon in the 2000's (Cam Clarke as He-Man!) and is the pure definition of a franchise with great potential.
Yeah, it was alright, but the Filmation days are the gold. You don't do He-Man by referencing the re-boot cartoon. It was fine and had some neat stories... but it's missing a lot of what made the original so incredible. It's a color tone and design esthetic. The 2000 version was an attempt to improve on something that needs no improvement.

Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #45
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Standards and practices means He-Man could barely even hit bad guys, let alone kill them. The shows were made years apart and "the rules" changed along the way between Thundarr and MOTU. That's hardly a valid critique.

Further, in the original storyline, He-Man lived in the jungle as a nomadic barbarian and had no connection to the royal family. He was merely a Wandering Badass who righted wrongs with his giant axe (the Power Sword was originally more of an Excalibur "Only-Those-Who-Are-Worthy" kind of deal and not specifically "his" weapon, in the original comic he even returned it to the stone he drew it from after defeating Skeletor, rather than keep it for himself).

Anyways, enough semantics. There's nothing "wrong" with Thundarr but if you honestly expect the general public to have the same fond remembrance about that property the way they do for MOTU, well, they don't, and they never will. Life's not fair sometimes.

I honestly only barely saw THundarr when it was fresh but I just recently made a big list of old cartoon shows I have to buy, and rest assured that one made the list. It's not about which is "better", for me, because nothing is ever going to top He-Man, but the whole "Star Wars meets Dungeons and Dragons" concept, I'm a huge fan of regardless of where it's being done.
Well, yeah the rules change, but I think the toy line was a major point in the impact that would become He-man. Yeah Thundarr did great for its day, but what made it great was also its Achilles heel, parent groups would rebel against cartoons like Thundarr and pretty much take out the violence out of cartoon programs. With the Violence and out cry cartoons like Thundarr got the can(Though the last show was amazing)
He-man follow the rules, and had a long run vs the 2 seasons of Thundarr.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #46
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Yeah, it was alright, but the Filmation days are the gold. You don't do He-Man by referencing the re-boot cartoon. It was fine and had some neat stories... but it's missing a lot of what made the original so incredible. It's a color tone and design esthetic. The 2000 version was an attempt to improve on something that needs no improvement.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...dbfbcde554.jpg
Not gonna lie, but I still have fun watching the old cartoon even if not my cup of tea at times. That said, I'd honestly be curious if any diehard fans of the series can write an awesome narrative for a movie or television series. I'm more of a casual He-Man fan than I am to say other products, but damn the series is oozing something great. I'm not holding my breath on McG though; maybe some fans can join forces to make a movie independently?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #47
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Funny thing is both He-man and Thundarr share a voice actor that would voice one each of there greatness foes, or for Thundarr, perhaps his 2nd greatness foe(Argument vs Gemini)

Alan Oppenheimer voice Mindok the mind menace, and Skeletor for He-man.

Not bad, being the voice of 2 of the biggest villians in cartoon history.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
It might be odd for me to bring this up, but in the spirit of the franchise, have you seen the 2002 television series Leo? Any thoughts on it?
I love it, I think it's as perfect as "reboots/reimaginings" get. It was different in some necessary ways - like going to an anime-inspired aesthetic because that's all the kids reacted to in 2003 - but kept most things recognizable. I liked that the villains were more of a threat. Not so crazy about Young Adam and He-Man having to "grow into his role", but even then, it's still a really good show. They had one subpar reimagining with "New Adventures" (which is Fine as its own thing but doesn't come close to the original), and a few aborted ones that wouldn't have been very good ("He-Ro: Son of He-Man"), so frankly, given what we had and almost had, the 2003 series does have a special place for me. It brought the classic series back in a way that didn't screw everything up, or treat the old show like garbage that needed "fixing".

I'll never like it more than the original but it's a very good show. Still the best "reboot/reimagining" I've seen, with TMNT 2K3 a close second.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #49
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Not gonna lie, but I still have fun watching the old cartoon even if not my cup of tea at times. That said, I'd honestly be curious if any diehard fans of the series can write an awesome narrative for a movie or television series. I'm more of a casual He-Man fan than I am to say other products, but damn the series is oozing something great. I'm not holding my breath on McG though; maybe some fans can join forces to make a movie independently?
I liked that they went for a serial approach in 2000, and I also really like the emphasis on scale (King Grayskulls' Battle lion for example, being the size of an Elephant), as well as some backstory given to Keldor.

That said, my absolute favorite part of any 80's toon, are the micro moments of character.

Maybe not the best example, but I'm a fan of the little moments in shows.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 01-23-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #50
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I don't like when Skeletor is used as an insult for skinny people. Skeletor is swole; he just has a skull for a head.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #51
Commenter 42
Banned

There's only one Skeletor on the planet right now:
She even cackles like him...

Oh Wendy...
Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 AM   #52
Commenter 42
Banned

I know this is fan art... but thoughts?

Old 01-24-2016, 04:53 AM   #53
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

^^That's pretty solid work.

Stjepan Sejic does some amazing MOTU art, both fan-made and official iirc. His deviant art page is worth a watch.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:02 AM   #54
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...large_full.jpg
Skillz! Not sure about the beard though.

Quote:
I liked that they went for a serial approach in 2000, and I also really like the emphasis on scale (King Grayskulls' Battle lion for example, being the size of an Elephant), as well as some backstory given to Keldor.

That said, my absolute favorite part of any 80's toon, are the micro moments of character.

Maybe not the best example, but I'm a fan of the little moments in shows.
Here is a similar one Dreamworks have on their channel...

I wonder if that would fly nowadays, or would parents fire off angry Tweets the first time their kid called them a bungling boob?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #55
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
And it's amazing and saddening to me that people don't Get It. It's like anyone who didn't grow up watching it dismisses it as "What's to like" And I'm like, "What's NOT to like?" It's got literally everything that's awesome in it. Warriors and wizards and dragons and monsters and magic swords and buff protagonists and scantily-clad heroines AND spaceships and robots and... why isn't this stuff mandatory viewing for all kids, again? I don't get it.

People who are so readily dismissive of it really have no idea what they're talking about. "Ohhh, cheaply-made kiddie cartoon! Stock animation! Homo-erotic subtext!" Yeah, whatever, blow it out your ass, you myopic swine.

It absolutely rivals anything else in the fantasy/sci-fi genres, 100%. If anything, it's like Lord of the Rings for people who aren't COMPLETELY insufferable nerds.
Dude, there was NOTHING subtexual about the homoeroticism in that cartoon. Nothing. Supertext might be a more accurate word to describe that cartoon.

I'm old enough to have watched it as it aired on tv the first time. It didn't really ring my bell. I got all excited for She-Ra...which was just a weak attempt to flip the script of a show I already didn't care about.

Toys were cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
The female images are pretty hot...
They have to be, to balance the Supertext. It's the same reason we have Bat Girl.

Quote:
Dafuq?

When people who use the word butthurt, I imagine them looking somthing like this:
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...76c8a9eb1.jpeg

Can we get that fvcking word banned already?
HA! Nah, butthurt stays, it's just too perfect for some situations. And that image, is exactly the face of a butthurt person. Or at least that's how I imagine you lot look when your knickers are in a twist about something.

Quote:
But yeah, the word "butt-hurt" should be something you can hit someone in the face for. "Your honor, the defendant admits he did indeed punch the plaintiff square in the face, shattering all but two of his teeth and resigning him to eating the remainder of his life's meals through a straw, BUT, I say this to you, in his defense: The plaintiff accused him of being... (long, dramatic pause) ... 'Butt-Hurt'." "I see your point. Not only is the defendant Not Guilty, but I hereby sentence the plaintiff to death."
See? This rant? Butthurt.
You're welcome to take a swing, if you like. I won't even duck. But instead you'll be telling the judge:
Your honor, this woman said He-man was a leather daddy fighting a skeleton, and then insinuated I was overreacting like a toddler who attempts to walk, and fails. So I punched all of her teeth out. Or tried to, because little did I know she was titanium reinforced.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 01-24-2016 at 10:49 AM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #56
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:

Also, since I forgot to mention it before, nobody had a better ass than Teela, no matter what whatshisname said. That's why they used that stock footage shot of Teela squatting down to jump, sticking her ass in the camera, about 2 or 3 times every single episode. They knew what they were doin'.
Amazing.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #57
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Its great, but I put Princess Ariel over Teela. Look at the thinkness of that booty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2015-03-21-23h14m27s101.jpg (9.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #58
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...large_full.jpg
Phenomenal! I love that Strong-Or and Goatman are also featured, and that's the best look for Webstor I could ask for.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #59
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Its great, but I put Princess Ariel over Teela. Look at the thinkness of that booty.
HAHA!!

It's a butt-off! I'll take both.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #60
Leo656
The Franchise

C42: That fan-art you posted was pretty spiffy, brah. I dig that quite a bit.
--------------------------

Not gonna bother with people projecting what they want to see into things that were absolutely not done that way on purpose, just so they can have a laugh at others' expense for actually liking the property/taking it seriously.

And for the record, regardless of how anyone tries to spin it, terms like "butt-hurt" and "u mad bro" and any variation thereof means the person speaking is not to be listened to on account of they're a child. "Internet Troll-Speak" has zero place in actual conversation. You want to tease people for liking something you don't like, fine... actually, no, it's rather childish, but whatever... I don't care who it is, but the second someone resorts to using phrases like "butt-hurt", 'Hater", "fanboy", etc., I'm no longer interested in hearing what they have to say. It especially annoys me when it comes from people who I know for a fact are better than that. Unless maybe they're not and I've misplaced my faith in them entirely.

Seriously. I might just start a thread about "Rape As A Plot Device And Why It's Justified", just so I can accuse dissenters of being "butt-hurt". Because that makes a person witty AND intelligent, apparently, and not just a sh*t-disturber.

Tags
he-man, mcg