The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Netflix Acquires Millarworld

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...-_Final_1_.pdf

Long story Short looks like Mark Millar and Netflix will be working together
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Lol at Millar comparing this to DC or Marvel's acquisitions. Dude's ego couldn't be any bigger.

This is interesting to me though. Will Netflix be releasing comics now too or will Millar continue to release new books through Image, etc? The press release was a little vague in that regard.

Millar is a terrible writer but I think some of his high level ideas are pretty good. They just need a good director like Matthew Vaughn to adapt them into good stories. Millar pretty much only creates things that can be pitched as movies anyway.

I guess we'll finally get that Nemesis adaptation now.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, I think Miller's reaction to Netflix buying Millarworld is pretty interesting. He seems to be deeming this as one of the greatest moments in life, and I'm curious as to why. He's already rolling in money and praise for his artistic endeavors.
Is he just doing some heavy promotion for Netflix or does he really see this as being the thing that propels him to being a name like "Stan Lee"...which isn't realistic.

I don't mean to cut down his success. I think Netflix is a great place for his properties to end up, but how can that be more exciting than the first time seeing your creator-owned comic book break through a dying market and than be adapted to the big screen to great success?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yeah, I think Miller's reaction to Netflix buying Millarworld is pretty interesting. He seems to be deeming this as one of the greatest moments in life, and I'm curious as to why. He's already rolling in money and praise for his artistic endeavors.
Is he just doing some heavy promotion for Netflix or does he really see this as being the thing that propels him to being a name like "Stan Lee"...which isn't realistic.

I don't mean to cut down his success. I think Netflix is a great place for his properties to end up, but how can that be more exciting than the first time seeing your creator-owned comic book break through a dying market and than be adapted to the big screen to great success?
Given the amount of time Hollywood takes in making the movies based on his comics, having Netflix involve, give him more creative control of them, and with Netflix, he can push the boundaries even further then he could with Hollywood.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle I bet will be the last thing coming out from Hollywood for him, I wouldn't be surprise if more Kingsman movies come out exclusively on Netflix in the foreseeable future.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Lol at Millar comparing this to DC or Marvel's acquisitions. Dude's ego couldn't be any bigger.
I'm not surprised. Dude's a huckster. I mean, far be it from me to hate on a guy for keeping on top of his hustle, but he's always been more than a little obnoxious with it.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Given the amount of time Hollywood takes in making the movies based on his comics, having Netflix involve, give him more creative control of them, and with Netflix, he can push the boundaries even further then he could with Hollywood.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle I bet will be the last thing coming out from Hollywood for him, I wouldn't be surprise if more Kingsman movies come out exclusively on Netflix in the foreseeable future.
Eh, Millar doesn't need full (or any) creative control. I think that would be a bad idea. This deal will definitely get these adaptations out quicker though. Seems like every book he's done has been in some form of development hell.

Kingsman is at Fox and not included in the Netflix deal.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Eh, Millar doesn't need full (or any) creative control. I think that would be a bad idea. This deal will definitely get these adaptations out quicker though. Seems like every book he's done has been in some form of development hell.

Kingsman is at Fox and not included in the Netflix deal.
What about Kick-Ass?
Old 08-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
What about Kick-Ass?
Kick-Ass is the other title not included in the Netflix deal. I'm sure the rights will revert back to Millar at some point though because I doubt they (I don't remember which studio has the rights) will make another movie after the sequel bombed.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Kick-Ass is the other title not included in the Netflix deal. I'm sure the rights will revert back to Millar at some point though because I doubt they (I don't remember which studio has the rights) will make another movie after the sequel bombed.
The studio that owns Kick-Ass hasn't really done a 3rd movie since then, so if they wanna keep those rights, they need to do a 3rd Kick-Ass movie.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #10
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I'm a big fan of Millar's stuff, but waiting on the 100 movies he's said were in the works is tiresome. If only Superior makes it to some sort of screen, I'll be satisfied. I love that story so much, it pains me that I can only share it with friends that read comics.

EDIT:
It's also worth nothing that Millar has tied a ton of his books together. The Millarworld is a connected universe. Kick-Ass coexists with Wanted, Nemesis, MPH etc, while several other books share a fictional universe that exists within the main universe, as comics and movies that Kick-Ass characters might be fans of. What seemed like Easter eggs, Millar has explicitly stated are legit ties. It's all cobbled together and confusing. I only mean to point out that this could be a cinematic universe play by Netflix.

Last edited by chrisdude; 08-07-2017 at 06:49 PM.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

According to this Netflix spent between $30 - $50 million to acquire Millarworld.

Also in addition to Kick-Ass and Kingsman, it doesn't look like Netflix has the rights to Starlight, Superior, Wanted or Chrononauts. Weird that the video announcement would include those titles if they didn't acquire them. I thought that's why K-A and KM weren't included in the video. Millar also only referenced those two titles in his post about the acquisition.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...millar-1031336
Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

My biggest question about the Millarworld acquisition was answered: Netflix will be publishing comic books now. If Netflix is getting in the comic book business I wonder which writer they'll go after next.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/07/mark-mil...alflow_twitter
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #13
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Huh.
That’s surprising.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #14
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Really like that they got DeKnight in charge of Jupiter's Legacy.

Quote:
'Jupiter's Legacy' Series, 'Empress' Film Among Mark Millar's First Netflix Slate

Nearly a year after Netflix snapped up Mark Millar's comic book imprint, the Kingsman and Kick-Ass author has set his first slate at Netflix.

The streamer has gone straight to series on two TV shows based on Millar's works — Jupiter's Legacy and American Jesus. On the feature side, Netflix announced Empress and Huck — both based on Millar titles — as well as Sharkey the Bounty Hunter, which will be published as a Millarworld/Netflix comic next year.

"My wife Lucy and I are 11 months into our jobs at Netflix and it’s everything we hoped for to the power of 10," Millar said in a statement.

All told, the five projects are the first slate in what sources estimate is a deal worth between $30 million and $50 million.

Jupiter's Legacy, which will span eight episodes, hails from Steven S. DeKnight (who launched Netflix's first Marvel drama, Daredevil) will serve as showrunner after recently inking an overall deal with the streamer. Lorenzo Di Bonaventura and Dan McDermott exec produce, with DeKnight directing the first episode. The drama is based on Millar's ongoing comic of the same name, which was first published in 2013. The series is a multigenerational drama that follows the world's first generation of superheroes, who received their powers in the 1930s. In the present day, they're the revered elder guard, but their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents. Jupiter's Legacy is considered the crown jewel of Millar's Millarworld banner as the title, about the world's first superheroes, could lend itself to become its own suite of series akin to Netflix's Marvel TV universe.

American Jesus, set for six episodes, is a multilingual series in Spanish and English. Everardo Gout (Netflix's Marvel drama Luke Cage) and his brother, Leopoldo Gout (Molly's Game, Instinct), will serve as co-showrunners and exec producers, with the former directing. The series follows a 12-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he has returned as Jesus Christ and can turn water into wine and perhaps even raise the dead. The drama explores how he will deal with the destiny to lead the world in a conflict thousands of years in the making. The series is based on the comic, initially published as Chosen in 2004, and retitled American Jesus for its trade paperback collection.

On the film side, Ted Melfi, who directed and co-wrote the Oscar-nominated hit Hidden Figures, is adapting Huck, Millar's 2016 riff on Superman featuring a small-town man who secretly does good deeds with his superpowers. Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe are set to produce.

Lindsey Beer, a rising geek writer who has worked up Chaos Walking and Godzilla vs. Kong, has been tapped to pen Empress, about the wife of a galactic dictator who dares to escape her husband with her children in tow. An interplanetary chase ensues. Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum (Maleficent) are producing.

Rounding out the list is Sharkey the Bounty Hunter, which is set in a new sci-fi universe and revolves around a blue-collar bounty hunter who tracks criminals across his galaxy in his converted, rocket-powered ice cream truck. Aided by his 10-year-old partner, he's out for the biggest bounty of his career. Michael Bacall (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 21 Jump Street) will pen the screenplay. As opposed to the other titles being adapted, Sharkey is not yet a published Millar property. It will be published as a Netflix/Millarworld comic next year.

"To see a movie based on your work every couple of years is incredibly exciting, but to see them all happening at once like this and with talent this high-end is just off the scale," Millar said. "These are writers and directors I’ve privately been sending fan mail to over the last 18 months, so to be working with them all is just enormously exciting. This really is the greatest creative environment I’ve ever worked in. I can’t wait to switch on my computer every morning."

Since inking the rich Netflix deal, Millar has already launched his first comic title for Netflix, The Magic Order. He plans to create 20 comic book titles as part of the multiple-year pact, with new series appearing regularly alongside existing properties.

For Netflix, building out a new roster of comic book series comes as Disney is launching its own subscription video on demand platform and already pulled all the Marvel feature films from the streamer. While Netflix still has its roster of Marvel TV shows — Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and The Defenders — the comic powerhouse's future at Netflix remains murky given the streaming push by corporate parent Disney. (Meanwhile, Marvel competitor DC is launching its own SVOD service, DC Universe, in August.)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-slate-1127578
Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 AM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Does this mean we can get an adaptation of Kick-Ass that isn't afraid to deconstruct the positivity of superheroes? I mean, I like the Kick-Ass movie but making Big Daddy's quest for revenge genuine (as well as that triumphant ending), is honestly just missing the point way too hard.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:29 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Really like that they got DeKnight in charge of Jupiter's Legacy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-slate-1127578
Jupiter's Legacy is already cancelled:

https://tvline.com/2021/06/02/jupite...son-2-netflix/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #17
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Hilarious with the way Millar and Netflix are trying to spin this. This was a complete failure and Netflix has to be really hesitant about moving forward with any other projects from him. I'm sure they're regretting the acquisition altogether. Four years in and all they have to show for it is a failed one season show that somehow cost $200 million. Doubt this spin-off actually happens just like all the other Millarworld properties that have been in development for years.

Read the comic so gave the show a shot even though the trailer looked pretty bad. Show is terrible. Writing, acting, FX, costumes are all network television level from over a decade ago. Couldn't finish the 2nd episode.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #18
AquaParade
Banned

I was into "The Magic Order" comic when it first came out, but that's some of the only "Millarworld" stuff I've gotten into. It was gorgeously illustrated.

That said, this whole acquisition was sort of stinky from the start. Nothing wrong with ambition, but there was something kinda funky about announcing a bunch of comics and their Netflix adaptions at the same time. Maybe it's a bit too ambitious?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #19
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I was into "The Magic Order" comic when it first came out, but that's some of the only "Millarworld" stuff I've gotten into. It was gorgeously illustrated.

That said, this whole acquisition was sort of stinky from the start. Nothing wrong with ambition, but there was something kinda funky about announcing a bunch of comics and their Netflix adaptions at the same time. Maybe it's a bit too ambitious?
Definitely a reactionary move by Netflix at the time. This is when Netflix decided they needed franchises to grow and wanted their own comicbook IP so they went out and made deals with two of the biggest egos in comics (Millar and Rob Liefeld for his Extreme Universe). They were lucky and got out of the Liefeld deal.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I ended up enjoying Jupiter's Legacy but those were some questionable trailers. A bunch of white haired old men palling around in bad costumes? It's a hard sell.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote