The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #21
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

“It has nothing to do with being anti-gay, or anti-black, or anti-Latino, or anything like that...Latino characters should stay Latino. The Black Panther should certainly not be Swiss. I just see no reason to change that which has already been established when it’s so easy to add new characters. I say create new characters the way you want to. Hell, I’ll do it myself.”

-Stan Lee, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
“It has nothing to do with being anti-gay, or anti-black, or anti-Latino, or anything like that...Latino characters should stay Latino. The Black Panther should certainly not be Swiss. I just see no reason to change that which has already been established when it’s so easy to add new characters. I say create new characters the way you want to. Hell, I’ll do it myself.”

-Stan Lee, 2015
I guarantee if they did do a non straight, white male Spider-Man in movies Stan Lee would be all over it praising the idea. He's the perfect company man who adjusts his opinions based on what is seen to be the right thing at the time.

The whole idea of creating new diversity heroes as being the acceptable way to do diversity was shot down with Mosiac. Now I get launching a completely new character and charging five bucks for it was not the best strategy but every chud that complained about established mantles being passed to minority characters should have given the first issue a chance on principal. What we got was months before the book launched heavy backlash and very conveniently the yard sticks moved with complaints that it was another black hero, questions about if Mosaic is a new character why should anyone care and accusations that the character was being "shoved down our throats" based on the fact that he had one promo image and the writer giving two (count 'em) interviews at two different websites.

The truth is the fact that the big twos most formative years being in the sixties and seventies that's where all their primary heroes come from. How many breakout characters that can carry a long running ongoing have their been since then? A handful at best and that's before getting into the how non straight, white male heroes specifically have traditionally struggled to catch on.

It may not be the best way but frankly having diversity heroes assume the roles of some of Marvel's best known brands is a model that has consistently worked and produced some genuine hits. Besides it's been a long accepted trope of the medium but barely anyone cries foul at Bucky as Captain America or Dick Grayson as Batman the way people do about Sam Wilson or Jaime Reyes. Heck, people cry foul at non legacies getting a boost. Over at DC Duke Thomas still has a hate club, there are people who argue Cyborg can't be a founding member of the Justice League in a new universe. What's the betting that if the New 52 had added The Atom or Green Arrow as a founder instead there would be little complaints.

Last edited by Galactus; 09-23-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #23
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Stan Lee will shill for whatever the company wants, like Steve Wozniak it's really hard to find them say something negative about anything. I read some headlines as if Stan Lee was mad that Captain America was hydra but the actual quote actually has him saying that it's interesting and things would surely go back to normal FAKE NEWS

I disagree with you however Galactus, while there will always be bigots and people who complain over any change whatsoever, this isn't the current problem and situation.

I think a lot of us love diversity in comics, we just don't like how it has been done recently. No one likes a marketing stunt being shoved down your throat and there are ways to do it right. Jaime Reyes and Miles Morales are excellent examples of them doing it right, changing Wally to black for no reason but "diversity" is retarded, especially since we don't even have that many redheaded heroes. DC actually fixed this now by having them both being cousins and existing in the same timeline or something like that. I had nothing against a black speedster until that black speedster replaced my favorite character and did not act like the character I loved. I can like him as a different character if he is interesting enough.

Stan Lee might change his opinion a lot but I agree completely with that quote, I want new characters who are interesting, not replacing established ones. Dwayne McDuffie and Todd Macfarlane thought like that which is why they created Static and Spawn and are loved. It doesn't matter that the comics started in the 60s, that's a weak excuse for poor writing and not wanting to take real risks.

And if you think they really mean it and aren't just pandering for sales then why not make Superman black or Captain America Latino, and not just for a quick comic arc? Now that would be change. It's more insulting that minorities can only be sidekicks or temporary in the role.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
Vegita-San
Emperor

they did make 'chinese superman' of all things..

ugh.. how did that one turn out?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #25
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
they did make 'chinese superman' of all things..

ugh.. how did that one turn out?
It was going to be cancelled, but a cult following got behind it and it]s been enough to keep it going for now
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #26
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I haven't given SuperhyphenMan a read yet, but I've heard great things about the book
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #27
snake
Disgusting

It's one of my favorite Rebirth books. Really good stuff.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote