The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Lil Karai
Stone Warrior

NECA TMNT Speculation Thread. 2016 and beyond

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start this thread, so we could keep the NECA 1/4 scale TMNT thread its own topic.

As we all know now, NECA is back in the TMNT game, a long awaited return. They have officially announced their 1/4 (16.5 inch tall) scale 1990's movie Jim Henson Turtle line. Donatello will be released this summer, with subsequent turtles following every quarter thereafter.

It was definitely hinted at by Randy of NECA that there will be "a lot more" TMNT coming, but that he couldn't say anything yet. So what does "a lot more" mean?

Here are my speculations and/or hopes:

1. Henson turtles will be offered in a smaller scale. Probably via the DVD/home video loophole that they've used before to release Superman and Batman with.

2. I would not be surprised if we see the long ago sculpted Mirage Shredder at SDCC '16 with imminent release. Randy commented on twitter recently that we will see something at SDCC "that no one thought would ever happen". I don't know if he might be referring to this, or something Aliens related. This would fit the bill though.

3. I would not be surprised if NECA gets the license for the upcoming Mutants in Manhattan game. They have the license for other modern video games, and have released Gears of War figures, Heroes of the Storm figures, and a Nathan Drake figure.

4. Finally, I DEFINITELY would not be surprised (and I think this is the most likely of all the aforementioned), if NECA releases retro TMNT video game characters with a pixelated paint job. They are going strong with their Video Game Appearance (VGA) line of retro games.

Anyways, those are my (somewhat realistic) guesses. Discuss!
Lil Karai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Karai View Post

1. Henson turtles will be offered in a smaller scale. Probably via the DVD/home video loophole that they've used before to release Superman and Batman with.

4. Finally, I DEFINITELY would not be surprised (and I think this is the most likely of all the aforementioned), if NECA releases retro TMNT video game characters with a pixelated paint job. They are going strong with their Video Game Appearance (VGA) line of retro games.
I have my fingers firmly crossed for a 1990 Barron Shredder figure. I'm not concerned with the scale-- the higher quality sculpt and materials, the better.

If they go for the 8 bit thing, I really hope they focus on the original NES game over the arcade game. It seems the arcade version seems more popular, but the original NES game really hits my nostalgia chord.

If they go with a nice Mirage comic series, I would probably be tempted to get a few. I always thought the comic Shredder they were working on looked cool. I don't keep close tabs on the toy biz, so I wasn't aware it was never released.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Continuing their comic line would be a dream come true but with licensing issues for those sized figures, it probably won't happen. I hope they can find a way to make them happen.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

Well, apparently they're making more "Scalers", too:

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Raph
Mad Scientist

Man i do hope that after they released those 4 Henson 1/4 scale figures, they'll make 1990 movie Casey, April, Splinter and Shredder. Then I can die a happy man!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
nellyp
Stone Warrior

Those scalers look cool. I got the 4 turtles and would like to get B&R too. I hope they do shredder in this "scale" as well. You know cause they are called scalers. Yeah it was lame. Sounded better in my head.

Anyway, if they do video game ones it would be cool to see something from the NES games, but I would like to see them branch out and do something from the game boy series of games. A black and white (or black and light green I guess) Mikey from TMNT: Radical Rescue would be really stylized.
nellyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
zaktheneutrino
Stone Warrior

If the Henson turtles get a line consisting of a smaller scale, I won't say no to those! I'm kicking the tires on the 1/4 figures but limited space is what's holding me back. It would be nice if an announcement is made on a smaller scale line before pre-orders would go up for the 1/4 figs. That would help make up on mind.

If that Mirage Shredder sees the light of day....I will be ordering at least two! lol I can't see them going back to the Mirage stuff though with how that ended. I sold my bootleg NECA figures so I would have to pick up the real deals if Shredder does in fact get released.

How about releasing a White Foot Soldier from the NES Arcade game!? hehe An IDW line would be unreal with the amount of detail these guys put in their lines!

Either way, whether the above happens or not, I am pumped that NECA TMNT is back and I look forward to seeing what they have for us!

Check out my TMNT website for news, reviews and more!
http://www.thewhitefootsoldier.com

Instagram: The White Foot Soldier
zaktheneutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

I seriously hope that Playmates gets out of the way and allows NECA to work. It would be unreal if they could bring back the Mirage line.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Davin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Karai View Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted to start this thread, so we could keep the NECA 1/4 scale TMNT thread its own topic.

As we all know now, NECA is back in the TMNT game, a long awaited return. They have officially announced their 1/4 (16.5 inch tall) scale 1990's movie Jim Henson Turtle line. Donatello will be released this summer, with subsequent turtles following every quarter thereafter.

It was definitely hinted at by Randy of NECA that there will be "a lot more" TMNT coming, but that he couldn't say anything yet. So what does "a lot more" mean?

Here are my speculations and/or hopes:

2. I would not be surprised if we see the long ago sculpted Mirage Shredder at SDCC '16 with imminent release. Randy commented on twitter recently that we will see something at SDCC "that no one thought would ever happen". I don't know if he might be referring to this, or something Aliens related. This would fit the bill though.

3. I would not be surprised if NECA gets the license for the upcoming Mutants in Manhattan game. They have the license for other modern video games, and have released Gears of War figures, Heroes of the Storm figures, and a Nathan Drake figure.

Anyways, those are my (somewhat realistic) guesses. Discuss!
#3...please. Since the game seems to be based off IDW, some characters unique to that universe would be amazing.

The 18" Donatello looks great, but I feel like a smaller scale is a real possibility at this point and I need the shelf real estate.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why are people giving Neca a second chance? They never released Shredder/Foot/Elite Guard so until they do I am not buying one product from them.

These people need to make up for their false advertising.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

I never was pissed at them. I'm glad there will be more for me to buy!
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #12
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why are people giving Neca a second chance? They never released Shredder/Foot/Elite Guard so until they do I am not buying one product from them.

Please show me one ad they ever ran for the second series of figures.

If you are going to get upset with companies because you check out sources of advance information like what is shown at toy fair (which is NOT a public event) where almost everything is clearly labeled as being subject to change, that's your issue, not theirs.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

I definitely approve the above post
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

Quote:

i dont blame NECA i blame Playmates for forbidding NECA to sell in toy stores which limited them to just hobby shops and online

fact is the comic figures were awesome and the movie Donatello looks great aswell. as long as the figure looks pleasing i will buy it
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #15
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ninja84 View Post
i dont blame NECA i blame Playmates for forbidding NECA to sell in toy stores which limited them to just hobby shops and online

fact is the comic figures were awesome and the movie Donatello looks great aswell. as long as the figure looks pleasing i will buy it
Thats the thing I never quite get. I was able to get all 4 NECA turtles at speciality shops with no issues. Not selling these at ToysRUs shouldnt matter. They were not aimed for kids.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #16
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Thats the thing I never quite get. I was able to get all 4 NECA turtles at speciality shops with no issues. Not selling these at ToysRUs shouldnt matter. They were not aimed for kids.
It does make a difference in that specialty shops are only going to reach a limited market, mostly people who would go looking for those figures. Having them at Toys R Us would have put them in front of tens of thousands of people that may not ever step foot in a comic shop any more.

One thing that does amuse me is that no one mentions the fact that NECA tackled the license right as interest in the TMNT license was dying off and all the merchandising was drying up.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #17
TMNTooze
Foot Soldier

I hope they release the smaller figures and continue the line. I never got them when they were out and they cost too much now. Seems everyone is going with larger sized turtles too.
TMNTooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #18
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

releasing the comic Wave 2 would have been a dream made true.

Honestly, any 7" figures would be a dream. And I hope some TMNT vehicles in NECAs new vehicle line, that line looks pretty promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Actually, the guy running my LCS could not get a hold of the NECA Turtles back when they where releasing due to being in a different country. Him and I had to get our 4 pack via BBTS instead.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #19
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I thought that was what they are trying to do by releasing more TMNT stuff.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #20
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Really, the only thing I want them to do is to re-release the Mirage turtles.

But the chances of that happening are slim.