The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #21
corvus
Stone Warrior
 
corvus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yes, that is to be appreciated, for sure.

Now I'm actually back to reading a couple, like Immortal Hulk and Hickman's X-Men. Both are excellent books, I'm glad to follow monthly. I guess, for me, the craft, storytelling, and art of a Marvel comic have to be absolutely 10/10 to combat the sense of nothing being permanent. That's a tall order in some ways.
X-men has always been seemingly immune to that status quo crap probably cause it doesn't have a status quo. Whereas Spiderman is almost explicitly not allowed to grow as a character, and DC is even worse like why are Hal Jordan and Barry Allen still around? I think this is why i love tmnt and hellboy so much, there isnt a status quo or a floating timeline, characters grow and change, hell look at Hob.
__________________
corvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #22
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post
X-men has always been seemingly immune to that status quo crap probably cause it doesn't have a status quo. Whereas Spiderman is almost explicitly not allowed to grow as a character, and DC is even worse like why are Hal Jordan and Barry Allen still around? I think this is why i love tmnt and hellboy so much, there isnt a status quo or a floating timeline, characters grow and change, hell look at Hob.
The Marvel and DC comics change but they are rebooted every five or so years. It's a way to keep everything fresh and exciting otherwise it at best feels tired and at worst ends up being one big continuity line. I'm not against that so much as my problem being the art in comics today looks boring and uninspiring.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #23
corvus
Stone Warrior
 
corvus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The Marvel and DC comics change but they are rebooted every five or so years. It's a way to keep everything fresh and exciting otherwise it at best feels tired and at worst ends up being one big continuity line. I'm not against that so much as my problem being the art in comics today looks boring and uninspiring.
Marvel has never rebooted their continuity. Unless it's been retconned its canon which is most stuff, so it's still cannot that Charles Xavier lusted after teenage Jean Grey and that Matt Murdock has had his identity exposed like five times. In some ways it's worse than rebooting, we're given awful in-universe explanations like what quesada did to spiderman
__________________
corvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #24
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 6,019
And it's also kind of difficult to even call what DC does "Reboots". It's more like they make stories about the multiverse getting broken and repaired in a way that makes the continuity conveniently simplified. It's more everything still happened in canon, it's just that after such a story it's just that going from point A to point H (noteworthy story to noteworthy story) no longer require B, C, D, E, F and G (lesser stories with minor impact). H is now relabeled C and B-G are replaced by a new B (a story in which the necessary set-up for H/new C are grafted onto).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #25
Zog The Magnificent
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 100
Yeah, that was always the most confusing thing about DC. The in-universe reboots that make you constantly question what actually counts reletive to the new story. That's one thing I love about TMNT. Every version is a new version that requires absoulutely no knowledge of any other version.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #26
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post
Marvel has never rebooted their continuity. Unless it's been retconned its canon which is most stuff, so it's still cannot that Charles Xavier lusted after teenage Jean Grey and that Matt Murdock has had his identity exposed like five times. In some ways it's worse than rebooting, we're given awful in-universe explanations like what quesada did to spiderman
Huh? Haven't they rebooted Spider-Man like five times already?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #27
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 6,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Huh? Haven't they rebooted Spider-Man like five times already?
No? Where did you get that idea? If you pick up the newest issue of Nick Spencers Spider-Man, the main character is indeed the same as Dan Slott's Spider-Man. Who in turn is the same character as Straczynski's, Mackie's, DeMatteis', Michilinie's, DeFalco's, Stern's, O'Neil's, Wolfman's, Wein's, Conway's and even Lee's Spider-Man. There are some resets to the status quo and retcons but the continuity is largely intact.

There are some alternate universe books and retellings but those don't really count as they haven't replaced the old continuity. USM might have lasted 11 years (if you don't count the parts with Miles) but it was published alongside the "real" Spider-Man books.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #28
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
No? Where did you get that idea? If you pick up the newest issue of Nick Spencers Spider-Man, the main character is indeed the same as Dan Slott's Spider-Man. Who in turn is the same character as Straczynski's, Mackie's, DeMatteis', Michilinie's, DeFalco's, Stern's, O'Neil's, Wolfman's, Wein's, Conway's and even Lee's Spider-Man. There are some resets to the status quo and retcons but the continuity is largely intact.
I remember the last Spider-Man graphic novels I read were from like 2006 where Peter and Mary-Jane were married. I just keep hearing they reboot Spider-Man in the comics every eight years or so and start with him as a kid in school.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #29
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I just keep hearing they reboot Spider-Man in the comics every eight years or so and start with him as a kid in school.
Not really. Not literally, anyway, and the Ultimate Universe doesn't count.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #30
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Not really. Not literally, anyway, and the Ultimate Universe doesn't count.
So that means Peter is still married to Mary Jane and is an adult?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #31
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
So that means Peter is still married to Mary Jane and is an adult?
It means he's still an adult but not married to Mary Jane, though the current run seems to be setting them up as a couple again and their chemistry has been great. 616 Peter has never been de-aged, but previous attempts to send him back to high school, in a way, have included him being hired as a teacher.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,223
I wish we saw Mona Lisa in issue 99. I looked at every panel but her design isnít in those pages.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
The Great Saiyaman
Hench Mutant
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 290
I can't wait to read the story.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,223
Mona Lisa probably won't have any connection with Raph this series since Alopex exists here. You can't give Raph two love interests.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #35
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 11,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mona Lisa probably won't have any connection with Raph this series since Alopex exists here. You can't give Raph two love interests.
Maybe they can. But issue 101 is pairing Mona Lisa with Jennika.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #36
Sumac
Mad Scientist
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,254
Its year 2019 - they can support polyamory!!

On the other hand, maybe they won't - it is too normal.
__________________
Now with 200,1% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #37
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 11,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Its year 2019 - they can support polyamory!!

On the other hand, maybe they won't - it is too normal.
I don't think Raph and Alopex displayed any romantic interest. Since they haven't been paired all the time.

They could pair this Mona Lisa with Raph to see what happens. We'll find out once #101 debuts. It will be interesting to see how the Turtles meet her.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #38
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
It means he's still an adult but not married to Mary Jane, though the current run seems to be setting them up as a couple again and their chemistry has been great. 616 Peter has never been de-aged, but previous attempts to send him back to high school, in a way, have included him being hired as a teacher.
Like I said the last Spider-Man story I read was a trade paperback from 2004 or 2006 and Peter was married to MJ in that. I believe he was infected and died or something like that? Maybe I got confused because I read they were restarting the issue numbering again back to 1.

For Superman however I do know for a fact they reset the character back in the mid-80s. Not sure if Superman has been reset since then. Again I think the numbering has since gone back to 1.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:47 PM   #39
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Like I said the last Spider-Man story I read was a trade paperback from 2004 or 2006 and Peter was married to MJ in that. I believe he was infected and died or something like that? Maybe I got confused because I read they were restarting the issue numbering again back to 1.
Sounds like "The Other" story arc. It's one thing to renumber, quite another to reboot completely. 616 Spider-Man has never been rebooted.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #40
Cloudrunner
Thug
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I don't think Raph and Alopex displayed any romantic interest. Since they haven't been paired all the time.
I mean he did say he loved her, even if he was goaded into it by Angel.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.