The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
MastahShredder
Stone Warrior

Stephen King's IT to be remade.

One of my favorite books. Tim Curry was amazing as Pennywise.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...er-bros-706062
Old 05-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Huh, so they're finally revisiting this idea? I'd heard that they were going to get around to it in 09 or so, but it didn't happen. I loved the book and the original movie as well, so I'll give this thing a whirl. Can't imagine who will be able to top Tim though. Now if only they'd get around to making the friggin Dark Tower into a TV series... haha
Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Ironically, I first saw the two part It just two days ago for the first time. I am not a fan of Stephen King but this and The Green Mile fall within my interest. It was in a great format (2 two hour segments) and a little bit of humor, action, horror, and mystery all mixed together. Its definitely unique amongst Stephen King works.

This was mention on the internet a few months back as a rumor. Is this confirmation or just reaffirming the months old rumor?
Old 05-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
MastahShredder
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Ironically, I first saw the two part It just two days ago for the first time. I am not a fan of Stephen King but this and The Green Mile fall within my interest. It was in a great format (2 two hour segments) and a little bit of humor, action, horror, and mystery all mixed together. Its definitely unique amongst Stephen King works.

This was mention on the internet a few months back as a rumor. Is this confirmation or just reaffirming the months old rumor?
No, it is real and has picked up again. New Line has the rights now instead of Warner Brothers.

Quote:
The long road to re-adapt Stephen King's novel It has taken another turn.
Warner Bros. has been developing a big-screen take for five years, and in 2012 it hired Cary Fukunaga to direct two films produced by Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg.

But just as Fukunaga is coming off HBO's True Detective, the project is leaving Warners -- sort of.
In a rare move, It is shifting to the studio's New Line division. Insiders say that as New Line prepares for a June move from West Hollywood to Warners' Burbank lot, the siblings are drawing clearer distinctions about the types of movies they make.

New Line will now take the lead on horror, bringing the company back to one of its roots. It was once known as the House that Freddy Built due to the long-standing success of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Horror is now having a resurgence at the company -- the emphasis is less slashery and more thrills and chills -- as evidenced by last year's hit The Conjuring.

And It is a horror play. The story follows a group of kids called the Losers Club who defeat a creature called It. Years later, the creature returns and the club, now adults, have to band together again even though they have no memory of the first battle.
The plan is for the first movie to tell the kids’ story and the second movie to focus on the adults.

It will be overseen by the division's Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter, along with Warners vp production Niija Kuykendall, who will also stay involved with the project.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I see. The last I heard Warner Bros. was in negotiations to make the film but had yet to make a deal. Its like WB did pick it up but got it for its New Line division like Viacom got Ninja Turtles for Nickelodeon.

Two movies like the previous format and perhaps released in consecutive years like Kill Bill? That sounds like a solid plan though we know how it all pans out like most book adaptations (Hunger Games, Harry Potter). Its just a matter of what New Line will throw in there to stand out from the book and the previous film. The most important thing other than standing out while remaining loyal to what came before is getting a convincing Pennywise and sure the Losers Club is not annoying but believable.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
pennydreadful
trash

I can't imagine anybody topping Tim Curry, cuz that man is just aces in my book... they'd definitely want to do better than the last movie treatment of "It" though. Admittedly I'm a book snob, but I didn't really find their last attempt at adapting the novel to be very scary - and I'm terrified of clowns, so it shouldn't have been hard for the to give me the heebie jeebies!

Anyway, definitely hanging out for this so far - poor Stephen King's novels rarely manage to make the transition from book to big screen well (though Silver Bullet and Carrie were definitely exceptions to that rule... and Thinner was good, despite the changes that they made).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

From the commercial, the remake is scarier than the original.

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/back-to-der...153351801.html

I found this interesting interview and retrospect on Yahoo! It has now been 25 years since Tim Curry haunted or delighted horror and/or sci-fi fans as Pennywise.

Wish we could get news on the theatrical remake.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Stephen King's IT Chapter 2 final trailer. Friday after Labor Day, September 6th Pennywise resurfaces in 2016 to cause the former pre-teens another round of heck. I liked the first chapter, but I kind of like cheesy 1990 version with 80s' TV stars and memorable lines better.

Looks like this time the kid actors will get more focus than the first adaptation. I am curious how the Ritual of the Chud will be portrayed. Otherwise I would rather Bev not have a one night stand with Bill before moving to Ben. Hopefully we will get some solid characterization with the 5 losers too. The book did a solid job of it.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't think there will be the kid orgy from the book but it will otherwise be more faithful. And we'll get the Pennywise space origin somehow.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't think there will be the kid orgy from the book but it will otherwise be more faithful. And we'll get the Pennywise space origin somehow.
Yeah, the director nixed that in the first film. I am curious how the turtle and the overall ritual will go though. It will be present, but how will it be incorporated?