The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

OT Talkback: My brother, the bad guy

In Season 5's official opener, we Shredder/Krang once again try to pull the Technodrome from Dimension X to Earth, and they succeed except they land in the Arctic due to Donatello.

This episode notably introduces Shredder's brother, who works for the Tokyo police. Once again the writers make a mistake with Shredder's name, assuming "Oroku" is his first name and that "Saki" is his last name. So his brother is named "Kazuwa Saki," and is called "Lt. Saki" which is technically a mistake. His brother also calls Shredder, "Oroku" which is amusing because its his last name. Leonardo also says a line, "Saki? But that's Shredder's last name!"

Shredder also creates the Kojima brothers holograms to fight the Turtles, which is a decent albeit short fight scene.

I really liked this episode and was a good true beginning to Season 5. Loved how Shredder had no concern for his brother, and was going to bring the Technodrome right to Earth on top of the building where his brother and the Turtles were in, killing them all.

It just amuses me that like in "Shredder's Mom," the writers again made the mistake with Oroku Saki's name, not knowing that the Japanese last name is first.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Icebot
Foot Elite

At least they got it right in "The Legend Of Koji". I like how Shredder told Oroku Sancho "I'm an Oroku too. I'm on your side".

Thinking about Shredder's mother, wasn't she evil just like Shredder? If she's proud of Shredder for being evil, I wonder how she feels about his brother being a good guy.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think Shredder has a line in this episode where he references his mother. He says something like, "Oh, mother is letting you wear the big pants now," or something along those lines.

Funny how his mother and brother have Japanese accents when they talk, yet Shredder doesn't.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
ABrown
Banned

This was a really good episode. And ironically it's right around this episode that I originally concluded my love of the original TMNT cartoon. I was about ten years old, and began to grow out of watching cartoons. My new passion was for a wonderful little thing called Super Nintendo. And not long after was when my passion for sports began as well. So I get a little sad when I watch this episode on dvd, cause I pretty much view it as the end of my childhood. Fortunately, about five years later I realized that my childhood never really ended (and never will) and I got back into cartoons.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
lethrhd
Hench Mutant

i love the epiosdes that concluded with a new location for the technodrome. Theres a pretty tight continuity in that respect
Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I just love eps which have to do with Shredder's history, whether it be with Japan and the Foot or his family members.

I honestly wonder if the writer for this ep knew Shredder had a brother in the comics, which is where the idea came from.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethrhd View Post
i love the epiosdes that concluded with a new location for the technodrome. Theres a pretty tight continuity in that respect
The SatAM premiers had a good habit of that. I hated Season 7 for awhile because Shredder's first two episodes didn't show the Technodrome at all. Now I think the episodes are great.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Hermano Dyvas
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This episode notably introduces Shredder's brother, who works for the Tokyo police. Once again the writers make a mistake with Shredder's name, assuming "Oroku" is his first name and that "Saki" is his last name. So his brother is named "Kazuwa Saki," and is called "Lt. Saki" which is technically a mistake.
Here's how in my head I explain this mistake. It's in no way valid and only springs from my own imagination.

Shredder's brother wanted to distance himself from his mad family so he had his name changed. He just chose the name of his brother Saki as his last name as a reminder of where he came from.
Hermano Dyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
Here's how in my head I explain this mistake. It's in no way valid and only springs from my own imagination.

Shredder's brother wanted to distance himself from his mad family so he had his name changed. He just chose the name of his brother Saki as his last name as a reminder of where he came from.
That works perfectly! I wish I thought of that myself,Hermano! I sometimes wish continuity gliches were explained as its the only way to get my head around it.

I perfer this guy over an older brother that had unrequitted love for Tang Shen.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I find it interesting, and not a little bit amazing, that Shredder was so willing to kill his younger brother. We all know that Shredder is a bad guy but since he is played for laughs so much it was kind of cool to see him casually evil as to harm his own flesh and blood. I mean, it was done so nonchantly but it still made me excited.

I would have liked a longer battle between Shredder and his brother though.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
I find it interesting, and not a little bit amazing, that Shredder was so willing to kill his younger brother. We all know that Shredder is a bad guy but since he is played for laughs so much it was kind of cool to see him casually evil as to harm his own flesh and blood. I mean, it was done so nonchantly but it still made me excited.

I would have liked a longer battle between Shredder and his brother though.
I often say that James Avery's Shredder is underrated. He makes me laugh at times but its the fact that he is surrounded by incompetences and faces very formible advesaries in the TMNT and Splinter not to mention it was really hard to push the envelope back then like say TMNT(2003) and Justice League did six to seven years after the series ended. He did try to kill others many times but never did because its cartoon that mainly kids at the time were watching.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Tang Shen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandraph87 View Post
That works perfectly! I wish I thought of that myself,Hermano! I sometimes wish continuity gliches were explained as its the only way to get my head around it.

I perfer this guy over an older brother that had unrequitted love for Tang Shen.
Imagine this storyline in the 1987 cartoon.
Rape was not for kids cartoons, so Hamato Yoshi and Tang Shen left Japan for the USA, had to live in the sewers where Shredder drops the mutagen on them and the Turtles. Tang Shen becomes a female rat mutant, and the TMNT would have like a mother too.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote