The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #21
Vintage
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New York, US
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Trust me, the stories will make you forget about the CGI completely. Another "Must watch" episode is "the Gauntlet" since it has the very first showdown of the Turtles against Shredder.


I completely agree. If a story is good it could be a black and white cartoon, it could be with stick figures, it will still be good. This might be blasphemy but I could never through to the end of the movie the matrix cause of the story line, I don't care how much special effects it had.

I will take your advice about watching that particular series since it is most like my TMNT I grew up to watch and love. I did not view your video yet. I want to rewatch first the whole 1987 series. Funny though I believe in what you say that most of the series is very similar to the original 1987 series , and yet it was one of the last episodes where they show I guess a flashback of what happened in the beginning after the mutation.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #22
The Great Saiyaman
Hench Mutant
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I completely agree. If a story is good it could be a black and white cartoon, it could be with stick figures, it will still be good. This might be blasphemy but I could never through to the end of the movie the matrix cause of the story line, I don't care how much special effects it had.

I will take your advice about watching that particular series since it is most like my TMNT I grew up to watch and love. I did not view your video yet. I want to rewatch first the whole 1987 series. Funny though I believe in what you say that most of the series is very similar to the original 1987 series , and yet it was one of the last episodes where they show I guess a flashback of what happened in the beginning after the mutation.
It is basically a first person account of Splinter where he tells the Turtles (Little kids in this episode) how they came to be.


But yes, the story lines of the two series are very similar, you'll find a lot where you will go "Yeah, I'm familiar with that."
- Hamato Yoshi is Splinter
- The Turtles themselves behave like the ones from the 1987 cartoon, aside from (see the next paragraph)
- Baxter Stockman is an inept, bumbling but still dangerous mechanical genius.
- Leonardo loses his heart to a female ninja of the Foot Clan
- Channel six still is the local most watched news broadcasting network
- Iconic eighties series characters like Mona Lisa, Mondo Gecko, Leatherhead, the Punk Frogs and Bebop and Rocksteady will appear.

But there's also a lot which has changed, I won't give away too much but these are the most notable.

- Although the Turtles are still pretty much the Turtles from the old cartoon series, they all were given a very distinct look from the others. But the biggest change is that they actually behave as TEENAGERS, they make rash decisions, never think things through and put peer pressure on each other. It is offset by the fact that they fight like actual Ninjas, the crew behind this version TMNT has done a lot of research into how the fighting techniques work, it's actually what makes the series so good.
- April, Irma and Casey Jones are teenagers.
- Kraang is the head of a hive mind alien invasion of Utroms who call themselves The Kraang.
- Shredder still is the head of the Foot Clan but the clan itself is run like a criminal enterprise which has several legit businesses, such as Martial arts schools through which Foot Soldiers are recruited.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 04-17-2019 at 04:29 AM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #23
Vintage
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New York, US
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
It is basically a first person account of Splinter where he tells the Turtles (Little kids in this episode) how they came to be.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/3325303f...u81y09_540.png

But yes, the story lines of the two series are very similar, you'll find a lot where you will go "Yeah, I'm familiar with that."
- Hamato Yoshi is Splinter
- The Turtles themselves behave like the ones from the 1987 cartoon, aside from (see the next paragraph)
- Baxter Stockman is an inept, bumbling but still dangerous mechanical genius.
- Leonardo loses his heart to a female ninja of the Foot Clan
- Channel six still is the local most watched news broadcasting network
- Iconic eighties series characters like Mona Lisa, Mondo Gecko, Leatherhead, the Punk Frogs and Bebop and Rocksteady will appear.

But there's also a lot which has changed, I won't give away too much but these are the most notable.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d3/b0...6d33d734ea.jpg
- Although the Turtles are still pretty much the Turtles from the old cartoon series, they all were given a very distinct look from the others. But the biggest change is that they actually behave as TEENAGERS, they make rash decisions, never think things through and put peer pressure on each other. It is offset by the fact that they fight like actual Ninjas, the crew behind this version TMNT has done a lot of research into how the fighting techniques work, it's actually what makes the series so good.
- April, Irma and Casey Jones are teenagers.
- Kraang is the head of a hive mind alien invasion of Utroms who call themselves The Kraang.
- Shredder still is the head of the Foot Clan but the clan itself is run like a criminal enterprise which has several legit businesses, such as Martial arts schools through which Foot Soldiers are recruited.

Wow. You definitely put some time into this. I appreciate it a whole lot. Sounds like a great series. Now I'm definitely going to watch it. You really know your stuff. Even knowing that channel 6 is still the most watched, you must be some TMNT master. Thank you thank you thank you.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #24
The Great Saiyaman
Hench Mutant
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Wow. You definitely put some time into this. I appreciate it a whole lot. Sounds like a great series. Now I'm definitely going to watch it. You really know your stuff. Even knowing that channel 6 is still the most watched, you must be some TMNT master. Thank you thank you thank you.
Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #25
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Trust me, the stories will make you forget about the CGI completely. Another "Must watch" episode is "the Gauntlet" since it has the very first showdown of the Turtles against Shredder.
I know, I know. I need to get around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I want to rewatch first the whole 1987 series. Funny though I believe in what you say that most of the series is very similar to the original 1987 series , and yet it was one of the last episodes where they show I guess a flashback of what happened in the beginning after the mutation.
It's hugely enjoyable. If you can handle the 2D animation and the lack of continuity it's real fun.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #26
Vintage
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New York, US
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I know, I know. I need to get around to it.

It's hugely enjoyable. If you can handle the 2D animation and the lack of continuity it's real fun.
What you mean by lack of continuity? Jumps around from place to place?
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #27
The Great Saiyaman
Hench Mutant
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
What you mean by lack of continuity? Jumps around from place to place?
Perhaps he's talking about a different series, since the 2012 series' story line is one continuous story, there are very few episodes which you can watch on on their own without them having spoilers of what came before of what comes afterward.

I named "Lone rat and cubs" as something you should watch before you watch the series in full because of it being a prequel. Which also makes it the only episode which you can watch without it spoiling too much about the rest of the series.

Leonardo, Donatello (On top) Michelangelo and Raphael as infants just after they mutated.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #28
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
What you mean by lack of continuity? Jumps around from place to place?
The 80s series is episodic, it's not serialised like 90% TV today. While it does have some story arcs they don't dominate the series much. But it's still enjoyable to watch.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:28 AM   #29
The Great Saiyaman
Hench Mutant
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The 80s series is episodic, it's not serialised like 90% TV today. While it does have some story arcs they don't dominate the series much. But it's still enjoyable to watch.
I almost forgot, there are several instances where the eighties Turtles turn up in the 2012 series. All of those appearances have them voiced by the original voice cast.

2012 Raphael and 87 Raphael.


Both Michelangelos, who instantly get along.


2012 Leonardo getting fed up with his counterpart's constant yelling of "Turtle power" but later in the episode he actually yells it himself.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #30
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
I almost forgot, there are several instances where the eighties Turtles turn up in the 2012 series. All of those appearances have them voiced by the original voice cast.
Yep, correct!
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #31
The Great Saiyaman
Hench Mutant
 
The Great Saiyaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 254
Time to get this thread back to its original topic.

Let's have Mei Peih Chi (AKA Venus De Milo) of "The next Mutation" face off against Jennika of the IDW series.



This would be an interesting match for sure.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage, "Mythbusters"
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.