The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #21
mikey0
Foot Elite

Did anyone think the throwback cards with the purple bricks and opening with the classic costumed versions of the 2k12 Bebop and Rocksteady was a nice touch for the “Tales of the TMNT” ‘Wanted Bebop and Rocksteady’ sub-wave?
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #22
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
The truth is, kids don’t play with action figures like we did. If you’re in the toy game today, DETAILED products is not an option, it’s a requirement. The 2012 turtles were already 3D models. Playmates blew it. They refuse to change their standards, and its painful.
@Mikey0, tell them they suck.

This guy gets it....

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #23
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post

... but Playmates today will grab the people who grew up with those now classic toys and their descendants with every new TMNT line released. That’s what they’re aiming for.

Then they are even failing at that....

Show me detailed images of anything made by playmates that is even remotely screen accurate. The answer is you cant, because they arent. (teeth included)

Now compare the recent releases from Revoltech to the screen, or NECA 90 movie, or hell anything else, and tell me again what is Playmates aiming for?

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #24
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Loved Wave 1 and some of the villains and supporting charters in the later waves. And the Battle Shells. They cheaped out on paint apps beyond what was reasonable for a low-price kids line IMO, but the line had some highlights. Even though the line isn't that far gone, I do have some nostalgia already for some of the earlier figures from 2k12. Glad I own them.

But moving forward, unless Playmates wants to get into the adult collector market I will be sticking to SHF, NECA, Revoltech, Super 7 and other adult-focused product.

I will pick up an occasional figure here or there from Playmates when it's warranted (particularly supporting characters we don't have figures of yet, or select figures from new lines from future shows/movies if they do it well) -- but 2k12 was the last line of theirs that I bought most of, and that won't be happening again without SIGNIFICANT changes on their part.

Playmates tries to play it from both sides. When the figures don't meet our standards they like to play up how the figures are for kids... but then they release convention-exclusive product that clearly indicates otherwise -- that they want the attention of adult collectors. They need to make up their minds what they are aiming for. It's not impossible to appeal to both, they just don't put in the effort.

I was pleased with what they were doing with the Classics line. The turtles themselves were flawed but a nice effort. Bebop and Rocksteady though were AWESOME and showed so much potential for what they were capable of. But then they just gave up. They could have given us 2k12 turtles in that same style, or more characters from the 88 show or 90 movie. We have other companies like NECA having nice success with turtles. If Playmates had played their cards right, we wouldn't need NECA to fill in the gaps. But, I'm happy that they stepped up.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:29 PM   #25
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Playmates tries to play it from both sides. When the figures don't meet our standards they like to play up how the figures are for kids... but then they release convention-exclusive product that clearly indicates otherwise -- that they want the attention of adult collectors. They need to make up their minds what they are aiming for. It's not impossible to appeal to both, they just don't put in the effort.
Well said.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:04 AM   #26
The Purple Dragon
Stone Warrior

Except fore the Neca mirage turtles i dident collect turtles since the 90 with the old line.so i must admit that i did collect most of the 2k12 line.i was mad on playmate making it imposseble fore Neca to make turtles figures but i did like the show and did crave some figures and caved In.

The first 4 turtles alonge with the mousers and posseble sdcc usagi and classic b&r.are the best figures playmate has ever made.

With the 2k12 line playmate coued easy made collector figures of the basic line all they did have to do was to make them like the 2012 giveaway turtles and they woued have a collector line and i think most adult collectors woued buy them.the box was simple but look Very cool and woued fit a collector line.it coued have workd on all figures with just making diffrent sticker with the names.and the figure they woued to give us the same joints AS the turtles and better paint apps and posseble a stand that night Leo did come with.

The classic line was **** except fore b&r.they was not classic AS stated but did look cool.Playmate coued make good collector figures they did it with the giveaway turtles and sdcc usagi but they never did bother to make a full line fore retail.

At the end playmate did blow it and are now finally getting wath they deserve with losing the deathgrip on the turtles.and the turtles finally can shake off the only fore children stamp and we have now gotten fine adult line from mirage,87 toon,90 movie from Neca.retro classic from super 7.2k12 from relvotech tho i wish the joint In the arms etc was smaller and did not show AS well.and finally the first idw turtles from dc collect.i think the future is bright In the years to come.
but again playmate are trying ther best to ruining that and are trying TO do like they did to Neca In 09 with the **** relase of the comic and 88 turtles collector pack.again it show how bad playmate is.instead of trying to make better figures they focues on trying to hold on the deathgrip and make the same old ****** figures.
At the end of 2012 line i did decide that i only do collect the first series from playmate since i got a lot of the old figures and ended going deep with the 2012 line but now with the super7 line i am thinking of selling off all my playmate figures and playsets and replace them with the super 7 figures to show that i dont like how they run ther buissness.time will tell.
The Purple Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote