The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 07-26-2023, 12:29 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Sinead O'Connor Has Died

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/m...-dies-aged-56/

Haven't heard much from her since the loss of her son was in the headlines. I hope she's with him now.

She was fairly controversial in the States for the Saturday Night LIve appearance, which definitely killed her career, but she had one of the best number ones of the 90s
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 12:51 PM   #2
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Sinead O'Connor was an amazing talent, with a troubled life, but hope she has now found peace, rest well Sinead O'Connor. Really liked her hit from the soundtrack of Veronica Guerin, "One More Day".
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 12:55 PM   #3
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I’ll always remember her for this beautiful song for the Rugrats In Paris movie.
Old 07-26-2023, 01:31 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post

I’ll always remember her for this beautiful song for the Rugrats In Paris movie.
Hm. I didn't know that song existed. I played the video though - it's solid material. To be honest after "Nothing Compares To You" I never knew much about her catalog or even how much further she continued with music.

I do remember the entire Saturday Night Live affair though. As a kid it had a real stigma to it because America was a different place back then. Looking back on it now it just feels like some outlandish protest that you would passively disregard or only get mildly curious about. But back then it was perceived as an assault on everything most people cared about. I think I remember it on the news and it just caught traction as a talking point for weeks on T.V.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:14 PM   #5
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Hm. I didn't know that song existed. I played the video though - it's solid material. To be honest after "Nothing Compares To You" I never knew much about her catalog or even how much further she continued with music.

I do remember the entire Saturday Night Live affair though. As a kid it had a real stigma to it because America was a different place back then. Looking back on it now it just feels like some outlandish protest that you would passively disregard or only get mildly curious about. But back then it was perceived as an assault on everything most people cared about. I think I remember it on the news and it just caught traction as a talking point for weeks on T.V.
Back then, even though I am a Christian, I always thought the uproar over that stunt was very ridiculous and truly didn't have an opinion one way or another. Now, looking back and knowing what I do know about the Catholic church, Sinead was probably not off base. But, the Catholic church is one of the most powerful entities in the world, rivaling the CIA in some aspects and they won't take kindly to anyone who mock's their world. I won't be surprised if they set her up to take this fall early on since their previous effort to rein in a celebrity who dared to mock the church (Madonna) failed, so they had to get Sinead before she became too famous and powerful.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:16 PM   #6
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Back then, even though I am a Christian, I always thought the uproar over that stunt was very ridiculous and truly didn't have an opinion one way or another. Now, looking back and knowing what I do know about the Catholic church, Sinead was probably not off base. But, the Catholic church is one of the most powerful entities in the world, rivaling the CIA in some aspects and they won't take kindly to anyone who mock's their world. I won't be surprised if they set her up to take this fall early on since their previous effort to rein in a celebrity who dared to mock the church (Madonna) failed, so they had to get Sinead before she became too famous and powerful.
I mean - to be honest as a kid I didn't even know what stand she was making. It wasn't until a long, long time later that I found it that it had anything to do with children. I probably even thought in the interim that it had something to do with the ongoing IRA Protestantism versus Catholicism thing in Ireland.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote