The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #141
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also I found a lot of Bebop/Rocksteady's dialogue pretty damn funny in this episode. I'd oddly say this is the funniest Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady have ever been.
I agree, I loved the part where Rocksteady asked Bebop if he needed a hug.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #142
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, but I mean even when they were on their own, like when they were in the TCRI elevator or by themselves. Rocksteady going "True dat" and Bebop saying funny slang, Rocksteady thinking of Mother Russia, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #143
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think we can all agree these were Nick Bebop and Rocksteadys best episodes in the series.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #144
CyberCubed
Overlord

This episode also revealed a bit more closure for the show and it's characters:

- It's interesting to see the EPF take over the TCRI building and confiscate all the Kraang tech. Was this the first episode they showed this or was this already in a previous episode? I don't remember. Also kind of weird the EPF were here but no Bishop, I guess they couldn't have too many voice actors.

- Also it's interesting the last appearance of present Casey is his ribs getting cracked. Maybe he eventually retires from fighting even before the timeskip.

- Karai and Shinigami were shown patrolling the streets taking down crime with the Foot. I also don't think this was shown before unless I'm forgetting something. I guess if Fishface ever causes trouble again he would be taken down by them

- Traag and Granitor are now dead with their bodies blown up. From what I remember their last appearances just showed them drifting in Dimension X.

- Mutagen Man's whole body was shown in the background while Don was bored in the first ep and kicked his chair back. The writers likely showed that part intentionally.

- Leonardo is still trying to meditate like Splinter and get more in touch with nature.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #145
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Not to mention the perfect the perfect closure for the 80s Turtles, Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady in both the Nick show and as a whole.

I can't see them appearing anymore (especially with the original VAs) in the future, except for maybe in shorts but not in any show or movie.

30 years ago in 1987 we had the 1st episode with these characters, and today they all go out with a bang!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #146
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, this might be it for them. I don't think the 2018 show will do crossovers. There might be a small chance we have an entire original cartoon special made by Nick focusing only on the 80's Turtles, but that's probably not too likely either. Still they've gotten better at the 2D animated scenes and they could make a whole special like that if they wanted to in the future.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #147
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Which Raph throws his sai at Shredder's com screen when the knuckleheads attack? And is that Mikey's voice coming out of Raph in that same scene? Think it's an intentional goof?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #148
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Im pretty sure its 80s Raph since he then says "See, Cool but Rude" in Mikeys voice. That was no doubt intentional.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #149
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm impressed that Rob Paulsen made his Raphael voice different than his Donatello voice in the episode. He could have gone the cheap and easy route by just talking as Don, but no his Raph voice sounded like his old 80's Raph. He talks much higher pitched and faster as Don.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #150
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
This episode also revealed a bit more closure for the show and it's characters:

- It's interesting to see the EPF take over the TCRI building and confiscate all the Kraang tech. Was this the first episode they showed this or was this already in a previous episode? I don't remember. Also kind of weird the EPF were here but no Bishop, I guess they couldn't have too many voice actors.
It was revealed the EPF took over the TCRI building during Tokka Vs. The World.

I would have hoped that maybe one of the FW turtles asked "Hey, is your Splinter on sabbatical or something?" Because that's what they said when Splinter conveniently was not in the episode during the FW show.

And the Nick turtles response could be

Donnie: No...he

Leo: Our Splinter was....

Raph: He was murdered...

**FW Turtles Gasp or make shocked sounding noises**

Raph: By our version of the Shredder.

Leo: It's just been the four of us eversince.

Mikey: Well the four of us, April, Casey, Ice Cream Kitty...oh and the mutanimals.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:11 AM   #151
NikitaZhukov
Thug

Quote:
- Traag and Granitor are now dead with their bodies blown up.
Well, that's arguable. From one point of view, we've seen Traag reconstruct his body more than once in S1, BUT he didn't have his eyes being open when his head flew into the portal. That might mean that he's done but I wouldn't bet on that.
NikitaZhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #152
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

where can I watch this?

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #153
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
So my review time

Let's start with the positives. The OT has the original cast back save (James Avery R.I.P.) and it's nice to hear them again sounding much better than Transdimenional Turtles, just needed to clear the rust off it seems? I like how Bebop & Rocksteady played off of OT Shredder at times and there ever so colorful string of insults are always a joy to hear.

As strange as this might sound the Turtles complaining about the complacency in their lives is very similar to the beginning of City at War. Even down to Leo being dissatisfied to being downsized to neighborhood watch. Odd place to have that reference but I'll take it all the same.

I see the universal constant of Bebop & Rocksteady ruining Shredder & Krangs plans still rings true even in another dimension, although my gripe is this being the same way the Turtles we're saved in Turtles Forever. Inside jokes were a plenty such as OT Leonardo being the only one taking being a ninja seriously (but then he doesn't, more on that later) All and all I liked what I liked.

Now for the negatives...
Seems like none of the crossovers can get the OT Turtles completely right. It started well with them being in character right until after they get captured. Then the only one who stayed in character was OT Raphael.

OT Leo shouted out his catch phrases at the most random of times instead when he is about to lead them into battle. Like yelling it out when he was locked up was just dumb. Not taking offense to the fact another set of Turtles question their skills when in Turtles Forever they did.
Was right there with the other three on taking a pizza break when usually he is the wet blanket straight man of the show. Not that OT Leonardo wasn't silly just less so than the other three. I get the joke that he's never used his Katana's on humans but he's never had an issue swinging it in their direction and has stabbed plenty of things that weren't robots. So Nick Raph's comment about it being a glorified pizza cutter should've rub him a little wrong.

OT Don While he wasn't ragged on by his counterparts as much he was a lot less grumpy than usual. OT never quite lost his temper but he always seem to be grumpy about a lot of things, usually about the other three doing something or feeling underappreciated. He got the better treatment other than looking like a joke in nearly every fight. Or even training...

OT Mikey Was actually sort of bland. Like he wasn't entirely in character? It's a little hard to describe. Nothing he did wasn't something I didn't expect from the guy but it's almost like he wasn't doing things I should expect from him?

OT Shredder may be a pushover but he was never really cowardly, that's about the only complaint I have against him.

Now to my biggest issue with the entire special. The Turtles needed to train to be competent fighters. Look I get that their method of fighting is orthodox and at times downright silly but even Turtles Forever never said they were incapable. In fact the only thing that bother them in that special was that they thought the Turtles were too goofy. The Training montage made no sense to me given I've seen the OT Turtles pull of basic forms. And the hackney sacks at OT Michelangelo was a missed opportunity to recreate this moment
http://i.imgur.com/YP7Kiak.gif

props to having OT Raph be lazy when they were going through movements as he was rather lazy in the show. But OT Leonardo not being able to recreate such simple forms seemed out of character. Not being able to take down simple Foot bots who were really competent in this special for some reason? Not trying to fight Shredder was another thing I found weird as OT Leo always left the henchmen to the other Turtles to pursue the ring leader of any fight they were in.(But that is a nitpik) My final grade for this special would be a 6/10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That one got me a bit miffed. We've seen in the opening credits that Mikey can totally bash those sacks, but they made him inept for little reason.

I'd love to go back and find the episodes of the FW series, probably all pilot mind series stuff, that was "borrowed" for the 2D stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
A big part of it is that the Nick turtles here acted like the 4kids turtles. Barring Mikey, they came off as if they were totally serious alllll the time. I mean, come on, they shoot sewer lids & garbage balls at their enemies, fight with food, use junk/clutter/environmental hazards to their benefit, run around in plain sight, etc. Tactics no different than the Fred Wolf turtles. But then they go & make their predecessors look like dopes for doing the same. & now they not only don't know how to fight, but have to be trained by these guys? C'mon, son. I get the joke, but there's a certain arrogance to it that I'm not entirely sure they've earned. Turtles Forever's treatment of this sorta thing felt a lot more justified because their universe was more serious, a Mirage offshoot which didn't really have any wackiness in it. Of course they'd be less tolerant of the happy-go-lucky characters/actions, & find humor in contrasting the two series' different tones. The Nick series on the other hand is a lot more similar to the Fred Wolf one than it thinks it is, if you ask me. That's not to say I don't love this version, it's my favorite of all the animated shows, but this particular arc didn't sit right with me on a whole.

Like Jester said, they couldn't even get through an homage to the opening sequence without making a fool of Michelangelo. We know he's got lightning fast hands which can bat away most projectiles, but here he can't even manage a few bean-bags? It's like revisionist history.
Pot, meet Kettle. You have a LOT in common.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:55 AM   #154
newfan
Mad Scientist

It's interesting seeing the different reactions from the Original TMNT fans, some of you seem to think they mostly captured them and others think they were way off, in terms of fighting skills etc.
How many of you who haven't watched them in recent years have gone back and re-watched them since this?
As for the training, I was just under the impression that Nick was darker so what they were going up against was too? is that wrong?

2012 Shredder didn't appear in either crossover (obviously dead by this one) Did any of you want to see the two together or would it just have been pointless?

I liked the 80's movies props in this, this arc was not made for today's kids

I was surprised at actually seeing Casey's rib break.

When I saw the title 'The Foot Walks Again' I assumed it was because Shredder and Kraang teamed up with Beebop and Rocksteady, instead it turned out that Karai got to lead it after all, I guess that is her end tied up.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:16 AM   #155
ninja-guyver
Random Punk

The humour around the 80s turtles was very self aware because obviously alot of the fighting and violence jokes were aimed at the fact that they had to tone down the violence for the original toon after the first season because either parents complaining or whatever telling them to tone it back.

there was some exaggeration like Leonardo shouting turtle power while they were captured and giving themselves away or the fact the turtles couldn't fight at all when training but for the most part i thought it was fun.
ninja-guyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #156
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Those mini-rock soldiers from Dimension X looked like enemies from some Mario videogame.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #157
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I thought the FW turtles were fairly spot on. The OT was always a goofy show. While they did have serious moments and episodes. There were still some plots on the enemy side that would still result in a five-year-old sing-songingly saying "It's not going to work!" And even hero plot lines that just didn't make sense logically. But it was the 1980's and 90's that was more or less a time where logic does go out the window quite a few times in the attempt to tell a good story.

Such as one episode Raphael learned he was going to die because of a defective health monitor thing that Donatello created. So he goes out as a character called the "GREEN DEFENDER" to do what good he can before he kicks the bucket. And then couple that with a villain plot centering on a guy who wants to destroy the world because the lily he was cultivating wasn't named after him.

Another plotline (I believe this was one of the space stories they had) had Donatello trying to defuse a bomb. Raphael is telling him to cut the red wire because he's the meta guy of the group. "Cut the red wire, it's always the red wire." Instead, Donatello cuts the purple wire which conveniently shuts down the bomb and when asked how he knew it was the purple wire, he just says it's the same color of his eye mask.

The OT Turtles are always meant to be hoaky when compared to their more serious counterparts. Because their era forced them to be more comedic and child-friendly so naturally the physical logic in their universe is different too. But the same logic doesn't apply to the other Turtle Universes.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #158
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

And yet they still learned to adapt to the 2k12 universe ,showing they are more than capable fighters.

If anything, it was the 2k12 turtles who were the most under-utilised characters in my opinion. The 80s turtles, Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady had a defined arc over the entire episode while the 2k12 Turtles didn't progress too much outside of appreciating their 80s couterparts more by the end which could've been done better.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-16-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #159
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Should we argue that the 1987 Turtles can adapt to any universe thus are the better fighters?
Old 09-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #160
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Should we argue that the 1987 Turtles can adapt to any universe thus are the better fighters?
I think its a constant in the Ninja Turtles multiverse, that they (any version of turtles) are flexible and can adapt to situations that allow them to overcome impossible odds. Even the 87 turtles, whom many people call lame fighters, I'd argue are among the best when everything is factored in.

This brings me to another point, which I don't think anyone has talked about, that their fight with Tiger Claw was probably very different from their fight with Bebop and Rocksteady. Whereas the latter took place in the Nick universe, putting the 87 turtles at a disadvantage, they fought Tiger Claw on their home turf, which gave them all sorts of cartoon physics and tactics which TC wouldn't have been prepared for.

In a similar vein, the 80s Turtles competently fought against the Kraang and Kraang Subprime since they are technically not characters from the Nick universe, but Dimension X which the 80s turtles are used to.

This makes me wonder, is this an explanation for why the 80s Foot Soldiers are so competent in the Nick universe? In the 80s world, they are near useless as they use simple brute force which is outclassed by the 80s turtles' slapstick/ninjitsu tactics while in the Nick universe, they are shown to be able to give both teams of turtles combined trouble and even hold their own against the EPF, who are highly trained.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-16-2017 at 03:39 PM.