The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #241
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Just read the rest of the latest RYV. Great stuff

Spoiler:
The issue spends most of the time focusing on Mary Jane as she takes Annie web-swinging in order to get her to school, tries to organise a social function with the supporting cast, and deals with a hefty raise in Rent from their landlord. Things start to turn around for her when she finds several glowing comments on her fashion blog by a former editor for Vogue turned prolific fashion columnist. MJ then catches wind of Peter's tussle with the Moleoids and suits up to help him. Peter lets it slip that sharing the powers is weakening him. The two of them rescue Annie and tell her to go back to school, but are captured by a very crazy and slightly irreverent Mole Man.

Normie Osborn, with the help of The Mayor, begins making arrangements to have technology cleared from the remains of Regent's command centre.

It's revealed here that Annie is eight years old and Peter became more over-protective of the family after something happened to Aunt May.

A few more shots are fired at 616 MJ too, "I don't brood and I don't hold grudges")

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 12-14-2016 at 10:37 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:52 PM   #242
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Got my copy, too.

While the main story (fighting Mole Man) wasn't advanced much, I did like that we know know more of his plans:
Spoiler:
he wants to use Regent's tech to usher in a new era of some kind

Spending most of the time focusing on Mary Jane herself and her new lot in line was a smart call. I think I had a better understanding of the series with the new info and insights provided. Also like how Conway used similar scenes to show how MJ and Peter are alike and different. And as far as her new codename goes, hats off to the fact that it's something unique but perfectly in line with the spider motif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Spoiler:
A few more shots are fired at 616 MJ too, "I don't brood and I don't hold grudges")
Spoiler:
Thar flew over my head.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:49 AM   #243
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Spoiler:
Thar flew over my head.
Spoiler:
It's a trait 616 MJ has been known to have...being the worrying wife in the 90s and then uncharacteristically holding Peter's superheroics against him in post-OMD continuity

It makes sense if you follow mainline stuff.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #244
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Spoiler:
It's a trait 616 MJ has been known to have...being the worrying wife in the 90s and then uncharacteristically holding Peter's superheroics against him in post-OMD continuity

It makes sense if you follow mainline stuff.
Okay. I suppose the former could make some degree of sense on occasion. I've heard of the latter, actually. As far as that goes, it's a load of garbage to be sure, but what'd you expect from material that's supposed to support the OMD status quo and claim that it fixed the franchise?

(I have heard that RYV has taken a few jabs at the main ASM title. Conway confirmed that Peter's dismissal of the idea of a lab job was intended as a nod to Slott's comics, but, since Conway has been generally complimentary to Slott in interviews, I'm not sure if it's intended as criticism.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #248
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Given the stalactites, I'm guessing that this scene is probably somewhere in the Mole Man story. Maybe the fourth issue, since the next one has Annie as the main perspective character?

Quote:
Huh. Looks a like a part of a cover.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:23 AM   #249
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Given the stalactites, I'm guessing that this scene is probably somewhere in the Mole Man story. Maybe the fourth issue, since the next one has Annie as the main perspective character?.
Apparently Peter and MJ have a big fight in the issue Stegman is currently drawing, it's possible the scene I posted is the aftermath of their argument and they're making up.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #250
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Apparently Peter and MJ have a big fight in the issue Stegman is currently drawing, it's possible the scene I posted is the aftermath of their argument and they're making up.
That would make sense.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #251
ZariusTwo
Overlord

More of the fight

You actually sort of get the feeling these are the kind of tiffs that bring a smile to your face. Just from what I can see from Peter and MJ's facial expressions, the argument is sort of being played for "oh I know this situation"-type laughs by Stegman, who's married with kids himself. Trust me, from how the fight has been steadily building over the past two issues, the fight here is based entirely out of love and concern for the other. It's a safe kind of fight because they're thinking selflessly about the other, and want what's best for the family and their crusade going forward.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #252
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Some interesting news regarding an ASM Epic Collection coming out. Amongst the reprints in the edition (The end of the Hobgoblin Saga, Spider-Man vs Wolverine, Kraven's Last Hunt) will be the entire Wedding story arc, marking the first time Peter and MJ's marriage has been reprinted since the 90s. Also included in this collection will be the Spectacular Spider-Man annual that served as the follow up (Peter and MJ's honeymoon), which has never seen reprint before.

The first trade of Conway and Stegman's RYV is scheduled for the same month also, so it's likely to tie into that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something else going on.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spide...dp/1302907050/

Oh, and this tickled me

Old 01-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #253
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Some interesting news regarding an ASM Epic Collection coming out. Amongst the reprints in the edition (The end of the Hobgoblin Saga, Spider-Man vs Wolverine, Kraven's Last Hunt) will be the entire Wedding story arc, marking the first time Peter and MJ's marriage has been reprinted since the 90s. Also included in this collection will be the Spectacular Spider-Man annual that served as the follow up (Peter and MJ's honeymoon), which has never seen reprint before.

The first trade of Conway and Stegman's RYV is scheduled for the same month also, so it's likely to tie into that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something else going on.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spide...dp/1302907050/
So, all that material's in the "Kraven" volume in the link?

Wish the RYV trade had an unique cover, but it's not a bad one. Well, six issues in the first set isn't too bad. May have to see about the pre-order offer.

Quote:
So, it's become a meme now? Guess the series is picking in popularity to some extent.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #254
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, it's been taking off, not just memes too. Fan art and cosplayers are starting to crop up for this.

An interesting side to Annie's spider-sense is shown in the official preview of Renew Your Vows#3, seems she shares the same kind of future flashes Kaine used to have (as Peter and MJ only wound up being chained up trying to rescue Annie, when she has yet to arrive here)

http://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-ma...your-vows-3-3/
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #255
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Yeah, it's been taking off, not just memes too. Fan art and cosplayers are starting to crop up for this.
Well, Marvel certainly found a new audience. Hope it's not a bubble that'll burst sometime soon.

Quote:
An interesting side to Annie's spider-sense is shown in the official preview of Renew Your Vows#3, seems she shares the same kind of future flashes Kaine used to have (as Peter and MJ only wound up being chained up trying to rescue Annie, when she has yet to arrive here)

http://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-ma...your-vows-3-3/
Huh. Wonder if that'll replace the standard spider-sense or is just a extra trick? It does make her sneaking out to the warzone make more sense and more sympathetic.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #257
ZariusTwo
Overlord

RYV#3

Spoiler:
A splendid introduction to Annie's world, we get to meet Gloria's kid at last, and a new character who befriends Annie when she's sent to the Principal's office, Stephanie Kim.

Normie sees Annie fight the dinosaur and is impressed by what he says, "Who is that marvelous girl?" he asks (really...what kind of kid, or anyone, talks like that? Only thing wrong with the whole issue).

Peter and MJ don't say much in the issue, but Peter does make a cracking joke about how only he gets to make bad jokes of any kind.

And lastly, the comic has a letters page, with the editor of the book, Darren, revealing that he too is a massive Spider-Marriage fan and saying some encouraging things about MJ ought to be remembered for her days as Peter's wife!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #258
ZariusTwo
Overlord

December 2016 sales

Renew Your Vows took a steep drop last month, and was beaten by Clone Conspiracy and it's tie-ins. That said, it did far better than Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen (which was number 100)
Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #259
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
December 2016 sales

Renew Your Vows took a steep drop last month, and was beaten by Clone Conspiracy and it's tie-ins. That said, it did far better than Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen (which was number 100)
Well, it seems like first issues tend to sell better. It could be we also overestimated the market for the series. As long as the series continues to do respectful business, it'll hopefully stay around, but it is kind of annoying that it's not exactly curbstomping ASM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #260
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Well, it seems like first issues tend to sell better. It could be we also overestimated the market for the series. As long as the series continues to do respectful business, it'll hopefully stay around, but it is kind of annoying that it's not exactly curbstomping ASM.
I think it's possible people went in to buy the book thinking it'd be more Peter-focused with MJ and Annie in supporting role, but the truth is it treats them all as equals, and Peter has'nt had a hell of a lot to do in either MJ's issue or Annie's issue, and the title does say "Amazing Spider-Man".

I want the book to succeed as well (and this number is by no means bad for an AU book), I'm just trying to work out what is turning some people off of it.

ASM has more going for it because, much as we wish it wasn't, it has the distinct advantage of "mattering" because it's mainline canon, and a fan favorite in Ben Reilly came back. However, Clone Conspiracy is still underperforming and being beaten soundly by Superman (a book with a happily married hero which just happens to have the advantage of being mainline)

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns