The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #1
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Animation is underappreciated medium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYUCzG8CgLw

here's a video essay thinking we don't fully appreciate the unique art of animation.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

I appreciate the guy's points, but it's an old argument. When I was a kid the push to take animation seriously was championed by examples of anime and smooth-frame-rate Disney animation as art.

I think that people appreciate animation quite a bit - more nowadays with my generation in adulthood than ever before to be honest. We had parents who subscribed to all of the hard cliches of their generation - cartoons are for kids, animation is for laughs, etc. But gen x dove into our pop culture and now in our 40s most of us still watch some form of cartoons - therefore animation is more appreciated than ever before. The longest running show in TV history is animation that begin as Gen X'rs were turning on T.V.'s as kids.

Animation can still be underappreciated, but I'd argue that it is also more appreciated now than ever before.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I agree, it's by far more common for adults to watch cartoons now and for cartoons made for adults to even exist.

I find some of the shift to the flash sort or whatever is going on with that that's cutting corners isn't helping it as it's just looking cheaper as a result of presumably trying to be cheaper. But that it exists and is a common medium for all ages is continually increasing.

Now, Disney 2D animated films on the other hand... there's an art that's being lost.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Now, Disney 2D animated films on the other hand... there's an art that's being lost.
Yeah, that's a real shame, especially because Disney was arguably at their peak of 2D animated films (the Renaissance) before they began to be phazed out.

There's just something about 2D animation which I find so much more appealing than 3D animated films.

In terms of Disney, my favourite showcase of 2D animation has to be from the film Tarzan.
Other than being super well drawn and fluid (seriously, that fight scene with the Leopard still holds up today), the film really mixes 2D and 3D animation well, if you look at the scenes of Tarzan surfing on the trees.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I agree, it's by far more common for adults to watch cartoons now and for cartoons made for adults to even exist.

I find some of the shift to the flash sort or whatever is going on with that that's cutting corners isn't helping it as it's just looking cheaper as a result of presumably trying to be cheaper. But that it exists and is a common medium for all ages is continually increasing.

Adult animation does exist like Fritz the Cat, Heavy Metal, Wizards, Simpsons (Seasons 1 to Behind the Laughter), Bojack Horseman, Watership Down, American Pop, Plague Dogs, Aeon Flux, Liquid TV, Fire and Ice, Starchaser Legend of Orin, The Maxx, Spawn TAS, The Head, Duckman, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Castlevania, Love Death and Robots, DC animation and more etc. are proof animation isn't just for kids.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Animation can still be underappreciated, but I'd argue that it is also more appreciated now than ever before.

I agree while I do think The West(especially America) sort of undervalue the strengths of animation I do agree we are getting better especially in T.V adult animation. While this isn't the first we see T.V adult animation deal with serious subjects in a respectful manner(Duckman/Futurama) this is probably the first time we see it in this quantity. In the past 6 years alone we had numerous of animated dramedies(Bojack Horseman, F is for family, Tuca and Bertie and Undone) action shows(Lastman, Seis Manos, Castlevania, and Primal) and more experimental series
Old 02-16-2020, 12:09 AM   #7
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I agree while I do think The West(especially America) sort of undervalue the strengths of animation I do agree we are getting better especially in T.V adult animation. While this isn't the first we see T.V adult animation deal with serious subjects in a respectful manner(Duckman/Futurama) this is probably the first time we see it in this quantity. In the past 6 years alone we had numerous of animated dramedies(Bojack Horseman, F is for family, Tuca and Bertie and Undone) action shows(Lastman, Seis Manos, Castlevania, and Primal) and more experimental series

Don't forget Spawn TAS, old school The Simpsons (1989 to Behind the laughter, no Zombie Simpsons which is seasons 12 to now), Aeon Flux, The Maxx, The Head, King of the Hill, Cowboy Bebop etc.

Animation is an underappreciated medium.

I've always appreciated animation more than live action despite there is some great live action films i enjoy. I wish that more people stopped judging animation as a whole to due to trends or outdated standards.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:01 AM   #8
TommyT
Banned

solid animation:

No current "modern" 2d animation shows come close.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

That needs to be at the end of every post forever.

Jesus.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:05 AM   #10
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

Jesus.
But don't you know, Rise has just the BESTEST animation ever!!!
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
But don't you know, Rise has just the BESTEST animation ever!!!
Nah, no ass on that show.

Seriously, not one f*ckable character. As an HONEST red-blooded American straight male, I mostly pick and choose my entertainment by way of the ol' Divining Rod (Penis). An' I ain't got time for nonsense. You got about twenty-five seconds to throw some T&A at me or I'm done with your movie/show forever.

This is why I've seen every episode of Sabrina The Teenage Witch multiple times but can't tell you a single thing about it, except for the movies Beth Broderick got naked in. And of course I know that.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:38 AM   #12
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Animation is truly an underappreciated medium, in fact it is so underappreciated that many people think it is a genre, not even a medium.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
solid animation:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e075...bc5a/tenor.gif

There's an entire cohort that came of age in the last decade whose lens doesn't focus on any event, thing, or work done that predates their existenc; unless that event was something negative that they can make outcry against. And so they assert these nonsense arguments as if they've made an original observation of some kind.

Last edited by IMJ; 02-20-2020 at 10:07 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #14
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Animation is truly an underappreciated medium, in fact it is so underappreciated that many people think it is a genre, not even a medium.
Agree, it deserves more respect.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #15
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
solid animation:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e075...bc5a/tenor.gif

OMG! I own that movie on vhs, and even remember when it first came out in theaters! (Brad Pitt's first STARRING role, btw) It is super trippy to watch, and one of my favorite "adult" animated movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

Jesus.

Is it weird that I even know exactly what scene of the movie that clip is from?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I like how they somehow had sex with clothes on. Like obviously they could get away with so much but they could have at least kept the camera up to imply Holli was nude from the waist down. Even as a kid I found that funny.

I also don't know why Kim Basinger wasn't given the exact same outfit Holli had, like she had an extra transparent shirt on or some junk. Why bring her in to be the 'real' Holli if she was afraid to show as much skin?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:25 AM   #17
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
OMG! I own that movie on vhs, and even remember when it first came out in theaters! (Brad Pitt's first STARRING role, btw) It is super trippy to watch, and one of my favorite "adult" animated movies.

Is it weird that I even know exactly what scene of the movie that clip is from?
What other adult animated movies you like? i like Heavy Metal, Wizards, Fire and Ice, Fantastic Planet, Watership Down, Roger Rabbit, american Pop, Pink Floyd the Wall, Lightyears aka Gandahar, South Park the movie, Beavis and Butthead Do America, Fritz the Cat, Hey Good Looking, Starchaser Legend of Orin, Dark Knight Returns, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Wicked City, Golgo 13 Professional, Princess Mononoke and more
Old 02-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

If y'ever wanna see someone have a stroke in real-time, track down Ralph Bakshi and ask him about "Cool World".

Spoiler: He hates it.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #19
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I like how they somehow had sex with clothes on. Like obviously they could get away with so much but they could have at least kept the camera up to imply Holli was nude from the waist down. Even as a kid I found that funny.

I also don't know why Kim Basinger wasn't given the exact same outfit Holli had, like she had an extra transparent shirt on or some junk. Why bring her in to be the 'real' Holli if she was afraid to show as much skin?

Actually, it was heavily implied that she had no underthings on, just the (veeery short) skimpy dress. Also, Holli wore three separate outfits in the movie, of which the one Kim wore after turning human was one. And it was almost identical to the cartoon version. (She changes into it right after they have sex, but don't ask me how the dress became "real", lol!) Yes, I've watched this movie waaay too many times. Mostly for the trippy background animations- very Escher/Geiger-esque! (And Dali, and Picasso....)

Also, Fun Fact- Brad Pitt HATED doing that movie and when asked about doing another green screen, he said "Never again"! And still hasn't.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
What other adult animated movies you like? i like Heavy Metal, Wizards, Fire and Ice, Fantastic Planet, Watership Down, Roger Rabbit, american Pop, Pink Floyd the Wall, Lightyears aka Gandahar, South Park the movie, Beavis and Butthead Do America, Fritz the Cat, Hey Good Looking, Starchaser Legend of Orin, Dark Knight Returns, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Wicked City, Golgo 13 Professional, Princess Mononoke and more

Heavy Metal is another fave of mine, as well as Roger Rabbit, and I love Ninja Scroll, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Biohunter, and a number of other anime. The Wall is one I can watch, but find somewhat disturbing for all the overused Nazi and sexual imagery. It just doesn't sit well. Could never stand Beavis and Butthead, nor South Park, but I love Aeon Flux, The Maxx, and some of the other shorts from that era.