The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #481
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah. There's plenty of villains to pick from anyway. Baxter Stockman, The Triceratons, The Federation, Savanti, etc. You wouldn't really run out even if you did pick a new one every movie.

Saying Shredder is the only villain that could work is like saying The X-Men should only fight Magneto.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #482
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah. There's plenty of villains to pick from anyway. Baxter Stockman, The Triceratons, The Federation, Savanti, etc. You wouldn't really run out even if you did pick a new one every movie.

Saying Shredder is the only villain that could work is like saying The X-Men should only fight Magneto.
According to Fox, this is correct.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #483
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Weed of Crime

If I were to do a TMNT trilogy, I would have the Shredder only in the first movie, who can then be defeated/killed at the end, with possibly a post credits sequence teasing something bigger

Then the next 2 movies would be the Triceratons attempting to enslave Earth, but that would only take up the last movie. The 2nd movie would involve the TMNT going to their planet in the second half of the movie
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #484
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

If they are rebooting with the 3rd TMNT Movie. They should get Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as the voice for Splinter. I think he would be perfect.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #485
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
Also, I'm sick of the general public thinking 'You have to have Shredder, he's the main TMNT Villain, and it wouldn't work without him'

Since the 80s show, that has kinda been the case, but it doesn't have to be.
Except, the general public are the ones paying to see these films. So far every film lacking Shredder has been a failure. It's going to be hard to convince the studio to try something new.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 PM   #486
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Had the last film actually included Shredder in any way that really mattered, it at least found a convenient way of putting him into storage for later. In a total reboot, I don't think I'd skip him from the start, but by the end of a first one either defeat him or like 2016 find a way to put him away for a while and then have a new foe and arc in a sequel. Having him captured and imprisoned in deep space (or Dimension X) to show up again eventually in a later film might not be a terrible idea...

So long as the part that average viewers are familiar with is handled first, if a film is GOOD it might peak their interest to later see something as crazy as alien dinosaurs and other aspects of TMNT that may be new and exciting to them.

Granted I more-so what "new and exciting" for us... (Legit new stories, not revamped and twisted to try to pretend to be new. And new stuff in works for them.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:38 AM   #487
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Except, the general public are the ones paying to see these films. So far every film lacking Shredder has been a failure.
Which has got 100% to do with the quality of the films, not because Shredder isn't in them

Shredder was in the 2014 AND the 2016 movie, but those were both garbage
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 AM   #488
newfan
Mad Scientist

I don't think every TMNT movie has to have Shredder, personally I would like to see him again as I like the character and wasn't happy with him in the last reboot. I like that foot and feud part of the story. Saying that, if they were making more than one movie (lets pretend this new one goes down better) then I can wait for him to come later on if something else was explored first.

I just wonder how much of the story they will plan to share before production starts.

Last edited by newfan; 03-29-2019 at 07:03 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #489
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
TMNT doesn't even need a "main villain." Ignore those morons.
Exactly. I say the first movie should be about TMNT vs. the Purple Dragons so you can establish a better relationship with the TMNT and care about them as further movies could explore more situations with bigger obstacles in the form of like Baxter Stockman's Fly, Shredder and Krang (done correctly) and even so many more.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #490
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Exactly. I say the first movie should be about TMNT vs. the Purple Dragons so you can establish a better relationship with the TMNT and care about them as further movies could explore more situations with bigger obstacles in the form of like Baxter Stockman's Fly, Shredder and Krang (done correctly) and even so many more.
I don't see the Purple Dragons being enough for a movie. Not unless Hun is leading them and the movie has a major focus on Casey Jones and Hun, I guess...
Old 03-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #491
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not to change the subject, but I kind of wish we'd hear at least some little tidbit of info soon. Even just some suggestion of casting being considered or esp in the area of design concepts being looked at (not that we'd actually see them), or writers pulling together what they hopefully feel is a solid and not at all half-assed story. Some hint of things that are underway for a film they've suggested starting to shoot as early as later this year... Because is it really enough time to do all the pre-production work...?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #492
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The only hope for TMNT is a creative director with a passion for TMNT.

We need a Peter Jackson, a Christopher Nolan, a Guillermo del Toro, a Taika Waititi, a Zack Snyder, SOMEBODY with a vision beyond just making toy sales. At this point, I'll take a bad vision over a bottom-dollar toy sales vision.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #493
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Not to change the subject, but I kind of wish we'd hear at least some little tidbit of info soon. Even just some suggestion of casting being considered or esp in the area of design concepts being looked at (not that we'd actually see them), or writers pulling together what they hopefully feel is a solid and not at all half-assed story. Some hint of things that are underway for a film they've suggested starting to shoot as early as later this year... Because is it really enough time to do all the pre-production work...?
Yeah I was wondering the same thing, if shooting is still scheduled for that time that is, is it unusually quiet at this point?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 PM   #494
Galactus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
Also, I'm sick of the general public thinking 'You have to have Shredder, he's the main TMNT Villain, and it wouldn't work without him'

Since the 80s show, that has kinda been the case, but it doesn't have to be.
Shredder is without question the most famous. Out of the Shadows gave us what the second, third, fourth and fifth well known villains all in one movie and that wasn't enough to get asses on seats. We're going to have to win the public over with a Shredder movie first and when you have their faith then take chances on deeper cuts.

There's also the unfortunate fact that many of the better known turtles rogues are conceptually poor final boss villains.

Like if you had a villainous version of Leatherhead as you're main antagonist what would his evil masterplan that the turtles would have to stop be?

What would a third act blowout in a movie that had the Rat King as the main villain? The turtles fighting rats? Even mutant rats wouldn't make me that enthusiastic.

Baxster Stockman and the Triceratons have some potential but I think the former would be better served as a secondary villain providing tech to whoever the main villain is and I think the Triceratons would be best done like their original story were the turtles are teleported away to fight in the Triceraton arena and they have to escape and get back to earth to stop whoever the real villain is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
TMNT doesn't even need a "main villain." Ignore those morons.
A lot of times comic heroes tend to be defined by their villains. When you crack open say a Batman comic knowing it's a Joker story you know you're likely in a for a particular kind of story as opposed to be a Penguin one.

A common theme in Mirage TMNT is when they don't have a primary antagonist to fight or mission they seem lost. That's an interesting story in itself but I mostly prefer them to have some purpose.

Most Mirage villains tend to be random one-offs which are fine but there's something to be said recurring villains and of the ones that have lasted...well they aren't really villains. Karai, Leatherhead even Rat King are all quasi allies even the Mirage Triceratons apparently help little ill will for humiliating their leader and revered warriors.

That's why I didn't mind the possibility of some of the 4kids villains like Hun and Bishop migrating to Mirage. They conceptually fit in their world and villains you can build arcs around beyond a random person or thing to fight.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #495
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
A common theme in Mirage TMNT is when they don't have a primary antagonist to fight or mission they seem lost. That's an interesting story in itself but I mostly prefer them to have some purpose.

Most Mirage villains tend to be random one-offs which are fine but there's something to be said recurring villains and of the ones that have lasted...well they aren't really villains. Karai, Leatherhead even Rat King are all quasi allies even the Mirage Triceratons apparently help little ill will for humiliating their leader and revered warriors.

That's why I didn't mind the possibility of some of the 4kids villains like Hun and Bishop migrating to Mirage. They conceptually fit in their world and villains you can build arcs around beyond a random person or thing to fight.
Their "mission" and "purpose" should fluctuate with every new story arc.

Sadly, beginning with Vol 2. and going into Vol. 4 (not including Vol. 3) the very idea of "story arcs" were jettisoned. So I understand what you're saying... it just needn't be any singular villain, or even a villain at all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:16 PM   #496
Leo656
The Franchise

If we're making a movie, though... we need more of a "plot" besides, "Robbed of their singular purpose, our heroes drift aimlessly trying to find their place in a world that doesn't want them. And then they probably go their separate ways, live relatively-uneventful lives, and die."

Works fine on the printed page. But that would be one meandering, boring-ass movie. They need to Fight Someone. That "someone" needs to have Evil Intentions and The TMNT have to be the only ones both privy to it AND capable of stopping it, because that is how movies work. And if we actually want people to show up, it really needs to be someone that the general audience is both familiar with and has a strong opinion of.

That just leaves Shredder. It is what it is.

Galactus makes a lot of sense. The reason the movies have and will focus so much on having them fight Shredder is... they kind of have no choice if they want anyone except for the people on this forum to pay to see the goddamn thing.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #497
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

But that's also why they should start with Shredder to bring viewers in and care enough to make GOOD engaging films that will grant it a few sequels that people actually want to see, and among those work in some additional villains, hinted at in the end of each previous film, and introduce the general audience to further TMNT lore. (And if they have time maybe make up a new one or two -- but again GOOD, and suitable for TMNT -- for us too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"Robbed of their singular purpose, our heroes drift aimlessly trying to find their place in a world that doesn't want them. And then they probably go their separate ways, live relatively-uneventful lives, and die."
But so relatable! lol

Bad for a movie, but two decades from now that premise will probably be a live action/CGI TMNT 'reality' show.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #498
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh sure, if they really nail the first movie in a series they can - in theory - go in whatever direction they want after that. But realistically, Shredder is always gonna be the Main Villain of the series and that's just the way it is. Even if they did one or two other movies with different villains they'd still have to cycle him back in eventually.

It's like Lex Luthor in Superman movies. You don't HAVE to use him every single time, but whenever you don't, you get an annoying number of people asking Why Not. So it's always gonna come back to that because it's what people are familiar with.

There's ways to do it without making it feel redundant, but... they actually FIRST just have to do a decent movie in general. The rest comes later.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #499
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

As much as I love the shredder as a character I really wouldn't want to start with him for the third time. It's too much been there done that imo. There's been over 30 years of tmnt media so I find it tough to believe there isn't a screen writer alive that cant find a threat other than the foot clan that they think can hold an audiences attention for 2 hours. Personally what i hope for is that a new film series would take the opportunity to try to introduce the general public to the wider world of tmnt lore. like just off the top of my head maybe a movie where the turtles are being hunted by bishop or stockman. Or maybe both. Drop in some foot Easter eggs and build up some anticipation for later

Last edited by slingtheory; 03-31-2019 at 02:49 PM.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #500
AquaParade
Big Boss

I'm excited to hear more info about this.

I think it might just appeal to the gambling-loving side of my personality. Odds are stacked in the favor of this movie totally sucking, but there's just a small enough chance, based on feedback, that the film will be good. Makes it fun to keep an eye on and root for.

Plus, it's always fascinating to see what happens to a franchise you love.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence