The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Crash Bandicoot Remastered Classics

As some of you may already know, Activision and Sony have announced at the recently-held E3 that not only would Crash Bandicoot, the character that helped to make the PlayStation a household name and made Sony a leading company in the video game console market would be making his long-awaited comeback in the sixth Skylanders game set for release this year, but they are also developing a three-game collection featuring high-definition remakes of the original PS1 titles excluding Team Racing and Bash set for release sometime in 2017. If you ask me, I'm far more interested in the remakes than I am for the Skylanders cameo.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited by retr0pia75; 07-09-2016 at 11:42 PM.
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Allio
Foot Elite

I've only ever borrowed the first game from a neighbor. So yeah, I'll probably pick it up.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

And they'll still be in PS1 graphics. Anyone expecting a full remake like the Ratchet and Clank reboot are fooling themselves.

If this was only Crash 1 then I might see it happening, but 3 games? And in a collection? No way is it going to be a remake.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
And they'll still be in PS1 graphics. Anyone expecting a full remake like the Ratchet and Clank reboot are fooling themselves.

If this was only Crash 1 then I might see it happening, but 3 games? And in a collection? No way is it going to be a remake.
If that's the case, I'll still be looking forward to it. Even three ports are better than eight years of practical complete and utter silence.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Except, that is exactly what's happening. All 3 games are being remade from the ground up

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Af of right now, it's my most anticipated game of 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Except, that is exactly what's happening. All 3 games are being remade from the ground up
Not to mention the original games were coded in GOOL, a custom tool that only two people in the entire world understand. It also won't simply be the original games on an emulator because the games are being "remastered from the ground up". I'm not expecting any major changes like the "re-imagined" Ratchet & Clank game, just the original games with better graphics, controls and sound. The biggest change so far seems to be the voice cast, if Crash's appearance in Skylanders is anything to go by.

There's a push on twitter to get the original series' composer, Josh Mancell, to help with the remastered soundtrack. If you don't know, the soundtrack in the original games was highly compressed and cut up, but Josh has the original soundtrack files and has expressed interest in returning to the series. I don't know if it will be successful, but it would be cool to have someone from the original team working on this.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
Af of right now, it's my most anticipated game of 2017.

Not to mention the original games were coded in GOOL, a custom tool that only two people in the entire world understand. It also won't simply be the original games on an emulator because the games are being "remastered from the ground up". I'm not expecting any major changes like the "re-imagined" Ratchet & Clank game, just the original games with better graphics, controls and sound. The biggest change so far seems to be the voice cast, if Crash's appearance in Skylanders is anything to go by.

There's a push on twitter to get the original series' composer, Josh Mancell, to help with the remastered soundtrack. If you don't know, the soundtrack in the original games was highly compressed and cut up, but Josh has the original soundtrack files and has expressed interest in returning to the series. I don't know if it will be successful, but it would be cool to have someone from the original team working on this.
It would be more logical if they just used Mancell's original pre-console files. I mean, what's the point of remixing the music when someone else already has high-def versions?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I can think of a few reasons, one being some of the songs in the console version have different instruments compared to the pre-console versions. For example:

Compare these two:
Console Tiny's theme
Pre-console Tiny's theme
The console version has a strong "growl" like instrument while in the pre-console version it's barely audible and sped up.

Though some are just like the console versions, only higher quality:
Console Rock It

Pre-console Rock It

Of couse this is all subjective, but it is worth noting that some of the pre-console versions aren't exactly like the console versions. Either way, Josh Mancell still needs to be contacted for the original pre-console mixes.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Gameplay and boxart for Imaginators have revealed that not only is Cortex going to be a Skylander as well, but Wumpa Island will also be a level pack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFOUo1vx2H0
https://twitter.com/SkylandersInq/st...33876244533248
If the gameplay is supposed to be a tease of what the remasters will be like, sign me the heck up.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

CTR won't be remastered? That sucks. Oh well - I still would want to play the original version regardless.

CNK could use some help if the CB remastered game list ever extends - the power boost steering in the game is still a pain in the butt for me to learn / use.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

My God, they're gonna make me buy a PS4... That looks AMAZING.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #12
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I'm in love with that Thumpin' Wumpa Islands level in Skylanders Imaginators.

Love how Cortex pretty much plays how he did in Crash Twinsanity. There's just too many details to praise in this level, the only thing that feels weird or off to me is the tribesman suddenly talking with a surfer accent.

They even have Spyro make an appearance in the level as a nice nod to Crash Purple/Spyro Orange. I've never been into Skylanders before, but I'll definitely be getting the Crash and Cortex figures.

It's also great to hear Lex Lang as Cortex again. He isn't as menacing as Clancy Brown, but he's just so enjoyable to listen to.
Opening Cutscene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTVpvVfY2xE
Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

Fake Crash! Hell yeah, he's the best.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Fake Crash! Hell yeah, he's the best.
VV are really doing their homework with this. If they're really planning on going all out with character appearances, we might get to see Tawna, though that will most likely not happen for...well, obvious reasons.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #15
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0pia75 View Post
we might get to see Tawna, though that will most likely not happen for...well, obvious reasons.
I guess that's why we haven't seen Candy Kong in a game since 2007, not counting her Super Smash Bros trophies that is. Though Rouge the Bat was in Sonic Generations and the recent issue of Sonic Universe.

Tawna never had any lines in the original game, I'm curious to see how they could expand her "Pamela Anderson with a brain" personality in this day of age.

Considering that Crash and Cortex's appearances in Skylanders have been ripped right out of the original concept art, it would certainly be...interesting if they did the same for Tawna.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20090907175705
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20090907174920
http://66.media.tumblr.com/d23772852...22ro2_1280.png

Though if she did reappear she would probably just have her toned down look from the original game.
http://67.media.tumblr.com/83b5db3de...22ro1_1280.png

The Japanese manual for Crash 2 said that Tawna dumped Crash in favor of Pinstripe Potoroo, it would be brilliant if they would adapt that for the remaster. Something like this.

Crash journeys through three islands, a giant castle, finally besting Cortex himself. Then there's slow motion as Crash and Tawna run to each, arms outstretched ready to embrace one another...only for Tawna to run past Crash and embrace Pinstripe. Then Tawna and one of the bosses you fought in the game walk off into the sunset.

It would be a great subversion of the damsel in distress plots in platformers. That would be up there with the cow falling on Princess What's Her Name in Earthworm Jim for me.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #16
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Still no footage for the remakes yet, but a trailer for Thumpin' Wumpa Islands has surfaced (though it's unlisted for some reason).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN4-TpPqjvQ
Old 10-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #17
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

It's official...Mancell isn't doing the music.
https://crashynews.wordpress.com/201...s-composition/
Old 10-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #18
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

In more uplifting news, a release date has potentially been leaked.
http://www.gamezone.com/news/retaile...elease-3444203

Last edited by retr0pia75; 10-10-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #19
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

The Thumpin' Wumpa Islands level pack for Skylanders Imaginators has been released!
(WARNING: SPOILERS)
https://crashynews.wordpress.com/201...s-imaginators/
Old 11-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #20
justforapic
Banned

This might be enough to make me buy a PS4. Crash Bandicoot 2 was amazing back in the day, and I'm sure it still is too.
justforapic is offline   Reply With Quote