The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #1301
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think the 2nd and 3rd suits (eh, was that really a third suit in TDKR?) were all about the neck movement. They wanted the mask to behave more like a motorcycle helmet and less like this thing that inhibits all movement around the neck area. The Affleck costume seemed to go back to more of a slightly more movement allowing Keaton deal around the neck and just said "f**k it, look over practicality."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:24 AM   #1302
Leo656
The Franchise

Ben actually had a lot of neck movement capability, I'm just not sure he was scripted to turn his head that much, or chose not to. I don't know if it was as flexible as Bale's but definitely a lot more than Keaton's or Kilmer's or Clooney's, for sure.

It looks like it's all one piece like the Keaton suit's cowl but there's actually small "hidden" hairline seams strategically-placed around the neck and back of the skull. Even the suit itself gives the appearance of a "solid" piece but it's actually a ton of individual pieces spliced together - much like Bale's suits - to provide more flexibility and range of motion than any of the previous suits, but with the seams hidden through a combination of strategic placement and little bit of digital erasure in post.

A pretty ingenious piece of work, all things considered. I think they did lose a little bit of flexibility with the cowl, but not a lot, and altogether they did a great job of producing something with the greatest possible range of motion without being all cluttered up with seams and plates. It's still clearly armor (although more of a woven mesh-type than plate-type) but doesn't look more like armor than it does a super-hero costume. Form AND function to the Nth degree. I'm so into it. Ears could'a been longer but that's nitpicky. I don't know how anything could top it.

Maybe one day someone will go and put a full Neal Adams-style costume on film and shut my mouth. I don't see it, though. But that's pretty much the only thing I ever see as a potential "improvement".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:28 AM   #1303
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It was such a great, no-brainer idea. "Batman makes a voice changer doo-hicky for the suit." Done. Had it never been done before?
Smallville did it with Green Arrow
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:36 AM   #1304
Leo656
The Franchise

Kinda funny how you never see that guy and Oliver Queen in the same place at the same time. I'm sure there are tons of guys still rocking the ol' Errol Flynn goatee and this is all just a massive coincidence.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #1305
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

All of this talk of Batman and his Rogues Gallery make me wish DC/Warner had the balls to do a Plasitic Man movie.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #1306
IMJ
Emperor

Michael Keaton's Batman voice had a resolved, quiet anger that illustrated an intense guy who would break you and leave you there broken.

Christian Bales' Batman voice had a grungy quality that illustrated a guy bubbling up with possibly uncontrollable rage.

Kevin Conroy's Batman voice spans a range of emotional intelligence that illustrated a guy who could think on his feet and take people down as needed.

Ben Affleck's Batman voice had a supernatural quality that made him seem larger than life illustrating that hell is coming for you when he speaks.

Adam West's Batman voice had a friendly and dramatic quality that illustrated that your best buddy was Batman.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #1307
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Michael Keaton's Batman voice had a resolved, quiet anger that illustrated an intense guy who would break you and leave you there broken.

Christian Bales' Batman voice had a grungy quality that illustrated a guy bubbling up with possibly uncontrollable rage.

Kevin Conroy's Batman voice spans a range of emotional intelligence that illustrated a guy who could think on his feet and take people down as needed.

Ben Affleck's Batman voice had a supernatural quality that made him seem larger than life illustrating that hell is coming for you when he speaks.

Adam West's Batman voice had a friendly and dramatic quality that illustrated that your best buddy was Batman.
that was beautiful!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #1308
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
More on why Affleck "walked away from The Batman":

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/m...n-affleck.html

Except the article writer doesn't seem to draw a distinction between "The Batman" that Affleck wrote the script for and was set to direct and "The Batman" that Reeves wrote and is directing. Affleck walked away from his own version of the film (and he's told us why before, because directing and starring in a film that size would be too much for him... this interview seems to reinforce that), he didn't walk away from the Reeves version, which he was just set to act. That was yanked from under him.
Thanks for sharing.

I still strongly believe Ben was out before the Reeves version became a real thing. This article just confirms it further. The dude just had to play nice and promote JL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

Nice.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-19-2020 at 01:38 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #1309
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I still strongly believe Ben was out before the Reeves version became a real thing. This article just confirms it further. The dude just had to play nice and promote JL.
But even after JL came out and failed we have Reeves sitting there in interviews saying Affleck is still "his guy" for Batman.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #1310
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
But even after JL came out and failed we have Reeves sitting there in interviews saying Affleck is still "his guy" for Batman.
i find it really detestable that he knowingly lied about this.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #1311
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i find it really detestable that he knowingly lied about this.
I really don't think he was lying. It's hard to believe we could jump directly from "Ben Affleck writing/directing 'The Batman' starring Ben Affleck, giving us our first DCEU Batman film" straight to "Matt Reeves is being allowed to throw the DCEU Batman, Affleck too, and just do whatever he wants." There had to have been a whole lot of uncertainties and flux in the middle there. And if Affleck was out at every stage of Reeves' pre-production, I see 0 reason for Reeves or anyone else to lie about it. It would seem to me the earlier the bandaid could be ripped off, the better, so people could get used to the idea of the part being up for grabs again.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #1312
AquaParade
Banned

Not to be rude, but I don't see why that is hard to believe. It makes total sense to lie about these types of subjects when you are working within a machine this big.

The motives are there: When it comes to WB, they couldn't take any more bad press and they had no idea who was going to be Batman.
If you're WB, you don't want to come out with your hands in the air to say "sorry guys, we know you just warmed up to Ben as Batman but he's out. No idea who will replace him, but we'll let you know when we get our **** together. Oh, and he's still going to be in Justice League, so please be excited for that."
That's not a message that is going to help the box office of JL or their P.R.

As for Matt Reeves, he obviously has to play along. And that's without even going into the plethora of reasons Matt Reeves would likely have for not
wanting to have Ben Affleck as a star in his upcoming Batman movie:

- The biggest film of his career being linked to the sinking ship that was the DCEU.

- The creative limitations that would come with having a previously established, aged Batman.

- The personal problems & bad press Ben would invite

It makes all too much sense, from my perspective.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #1313
myconius
Abby Normal

Affleck sounded like he wanted out even before Justice League was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
As for Matt Reeves, he obviously has to play along. And that's without even going into the plethora of reasons Matt Reeves would likely have for not
wanting to have Ben Affleck as a star in his upcoming Batman movie:

- The biggest film of his career being linked to the sinking ship that was the DCEU.

- The creative limitations that would come with having a previously established, aged Batman.

- The personal problems & bad press Ben would invite

It makes all too much sense, from my perspective.
yeah. this makes much more sense than Reeves just intentionally lying.
it was more than likely just a PR spin to avoid the bad publicity.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #1314
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
Affleck sounded like he wanted out even before Justice League was released.
Definitely he would be really bummed that with the whole movie in the can he was called back -- now out of shape -- to reshoot 90% of the movie and basically do it all over.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #1315
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like... platemail in there?
Old 02-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #1316
IMJ
Emperor

Man I'm sure the movie will be entertaining enough, but I'm so tired "Hollywood Solutions To the Bat Costume" nonsense.

Just go the Sandy Collora route and put a big dude in a fabric costume and put him on the streets as a vigilante. This overtly tactical stuff is old - might as well change Bruce Wayne's origin to "ex Navy Seal, Bruce Wayne dons a creature of the night suit based on his military experiences... bla bla".

I mean... I GET IT, right? I get the modern 'tactical approach". But I don't care. They need to take some cues from Batman TAS and the original comics at this point.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #1317
AquaParade
Banned

Wow, that is...pretty bizarre. Very interested to see how it looks on-screen. Not yet sold on that helmet/cowl here and if I didn't know better, I'd judge it harshly now, before getting a chance to see it in post-production.

Still loving the collar.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #1318
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't know what I think yet. It kind of looks like what Batman would look like if he was in the Kick-Ass universe?

This could potentially be doubling down on the Nolan "down to earth" stuff, but we'll see. At least the Nolan movies had the Batpod. That's just a motorcycle I could go and buy.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #1319
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

If Clooney's Bat suit was mixed with The Dark Knight trilogy then this suit would be it.
https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/Batsu...tman_%26_Robin)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32993892844.html
Old 02-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #1320
AquaParade
Banned

That looks like an alternate to the helmet in the screen test though. It has to be, because of the eyes, so I'm thinking this is sort of a B:TAS style 'Bat-Helmet".

EDIT: Oh yeah, and no cape, obviously.

Tags
batman, diversity comics, the cucked crusader