The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-29-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Revoltech Nick TMNT/Playmates Nick TMNT compatibility?

I was just curious if any Nick TMNT fans, who own the Revoltech figures, have any tips on which figures from the 2012 Playmates line, actually scale decently with the Revoltech line?

I have the Revoltech 2012 TMNT (Well, probably bootlegs, given the low price I bought them for!) and I recently found out that some of the Playmates 2012 line scale with them (particularly the human ones, I think). I was curious if any others have done this and which figures are worth buying and which are not worth buying, as they're far too small?

Any info or even pics would be appreciated. I plan on getting Shredder, Karai, Splinter, April, Casey, some Kraang Droids and Foot Soldiers. I already have Metalhead and Fugitoid and they look great!

Thanks!
FifthTurtles81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

I have almost the entire 2K12 line and the Revo’s if you need a picture of anything for comparison sake. I didn’t find they scaled well at all. I used the 2013 SDCC Shredder with the removable mask and chrome armor because he was decent size but apart from that I didn’t personally feel anything was close enough for me. The Shredder from the DC/TMNT crossover looks great with them and has great size.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
IMJ
Emperor

Those Revoltech figures are gorgeous.

There are so many competing lines like this out there nowadays - Revoltech, S.H. Figuarts, Figma, Mezco.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:06 AM   #4
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
I have almost the entire 2K12 line and the Revo’s if you need a picture of anything for comparison sake. I didn’t find they scaled well at all. I used the 2013 SDCC Shredder with the removable mask and chrome armor because he was decent size but apart from that I didn’t personally feel anything was close enough for me. The Shredder from the DC/TMNT crossover looks great with them and has great size.
Good to know! I've ordered a version 2 Shredder from Ebay, so I'm glad he fits well. I've seen pics online of the Revoltech TMNT fighting Kraang, Foot Soldiers and Karai online so I'm happy enough with how they scale- I know it's not going to be 100% accurate and I'm not above some customization. I guess I'd primarily like to see how the Revoltech TMNT scale with a selection of the mutant villains like Tiger Claw, Dregg, Bebop and Rocksteady etc, so if you don't mind grabbing me a pic of and posting it or PM'ing it to me, I would really appreciate it! Thanks for replying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Those Revoltech figures are gorgeous.

There are so many competing lines like this out there nowadays - Revoltech, S.H. Figuarts, Figma, Mezco.....
Did you forget Neca? Or was that a deliberate snub? Judging by your profile pic..I'll say deliberate!
Old 03-01-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Don’t have any Revoltech figures, but I doubt they’d scale well with the Playmates series. The 2012 P’Mates series was horrible in terms of scaling with each other, with very few being the correct size compared to the original turtles
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #6
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
Don’t have any Revoltech figures, but I doubt they’d scale well with the Playmates series. The 2012 P’Mates series was horrible in terms of scaling with each other, with very few being the correct size compared to the original turtles
unnamed.jpg

zyTR92p.jpg

Yeah, I know there were major scaling issues with a lot of the figures in the line, but as you can see from these pics, some of them work just fine with the Revoltech figures! I've also seen pics of them posed with April and Karai, and they look great together too, that's why I'm asking about other specific figures, like the mutant villains, as I know I'm definitely buying a few of the human characters. I know the scale will never be 100% accurate but as long as they aren't embarrassingly tiny, I'm willing to give them a go!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
newfan
Mad Scientist

Just thinking of the figs in my home, I would not recommend Super Shredder, detail is off/poor and I think (without digging him out to check) that he is also the size of the regular playmates TMNT, as opposed to the Shredder with the removable helmet who is bigger as he is in he show, that figure I too would vouch for. His feet are bigger than portrayed in the show but that would be to help the fig stand and doesn't really look off.

Karai's a decent fig, tiny nip pick that her foot wear is not as it is in the show, looks like plain black boots but a small detail in small feet, not a great big deal. I don't feel that April looks like April in the face.

My only nit pick with revoltech is the shoulder joints looking like they could be pushed back a tad but otherwise very good figures (just going on two they are good figures and at least look them compared to playmates standard figs (I do notice that some other editions of playmates at least have Nicks shaped heads on them)

Last edited by newfan; 03-01-2020 at 10:14 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

I'm glad everyone is saying Shredder, as I ordered him on Ebay the other day! I watched the Pixel Dan review of Super Shredder and his size is pathetic, I think he was even shorter than the v2 removable helmet Shredder!

The first wave April figure's face is waaay off, for sure. I think she might be based on an earlier, unfinalised design, so they had the toys out when the show hit, as she is so unlike the one we got in the show but similar to some of the earlier designs. I plan on getting a Space Comrade April figure and doing a head swap anyway, as that figure had a much better head sculpt and I've seen similar customs online that look great!

The joints on the Revoltech figure are definitely a bit of an eyesore, though I think they look great in action poses, standing poses are a bit goofy. Apart from Donnie actually, who I think still looks decent. I thought the Playmates Battle Shell TMNT were a decent job at more cartoon accurate sculpts and looked pretty great with some minor customisation. I used to have a set!
Old 03-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthTurtles81 View Post
Did you forget Neca? Or was that a deliberate snub? Judging by your profile pic..I'll say deliberate!
No, not at all... that's really not how I operate. I love the NECA stuff - enough that my little graphic was meant to illustrate a desired improvement on something I love. Not to 'crush' NECA on the TMNT forums....

In truth I didn't mention NECA because I don't think they belong in the grouping of manufactures I mentioned. NECA is an Amercian manufacturer and their model is closer to McFarlane in most cases than those other companies who are generally Japanese and have gone for an extremely stylized and highly articulated look in most cases. NECA just didn't fit.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Quote:
No, not at all... that's really not how I operate. I love the NECA stuff - enough that my little graphic was meant to illustrate a desired improvement on something I love. Not to 'crush' NECA on the TMNT forums....
Ahhaha! No worries. Can you tell I've been in the Toy Fair 2020 forum? There are some.....characters...in there, I will say!

Yeah, I agree about the head sculpts to an extent- I wish they'd given us both! I think i dislike Leo's the most overall. I have the Neca toon TMNT mixed in with my Revoltech TMNT and 80's Leo is at the back....

Sorry if that came across as rude when I initially said it, it was meant in good humour!
Old 03-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #11
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

Snapped a few photos for you to help give you some ideas on scale. I also like the April head swap. Easy to do and she looks fairly solid to her on screen counterpart. I had forgotten about Snakeweed, he has a little size to him, especially if you trim the plastic above his knees so he can stand up straight.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Sorry if that came across as rude when I initially said it, it was meant in good humour!
It's cool....
Post some collection pix!

Quote:
Snapped a few photos for you to help give you some ideas on scale. I also like the April head swap. Easy to do and she looks fairly solid to her on screen counterpart. I had forgotten about Snakeweed, he has a little size to him, especially if you trim the plastic above his knees so he can stand up straight.
Man remember the discussions about the Playmates TMNT '12 line... the "rotoscope toy" criticisms and the terrible sizing and so on? Your pix just reinforce how awful that line was. Dogpound and Snakeweed could've been BAFS that would've given them better scale... ugh, must.... not.... get... started... on that.....

That April looks terrific though. What was the head from? I didn't know there was another April that was produced....
Old 03-01-2020, 09:51 PM   #13
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

That was from Space Comrade April O’Neil, from the Dimension X figures. Biggest downfall to that head was she didn’t get a pony tail, so you have to use the one off the original head.

I wish better figure scale was something playmates had interest in going forward. They can make such solid figures for a low price point, it’s just that they can make complete crap too, all in the same line. See original 4 2012 turtles, who were great although inaccurate to the shows final designs, vs Atilla the Frog who I still refuse to buy. He’s truly McDonalds toy quality.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
That was from Space Comrade April O’Neil, from the Dimension X figures. Biggest downfall to that head was she didn’t get a pony tail, so you have to use the one off the original head.
OOOOhhhhhhhh okay. Right on. Well it does look good!

Quote:
I wish better figure scale was something playmates had interest in going forward. They can make such solid figures for a low price point, it’s just that they can make complete crap too, all in the same line. See original 4 2012 turtles, who were great although inaccurate to the shows final designs, vs Atilla the Frog who I still refuse to buy. He’s truly McDonalds toy quality.
Yes, yes, yes to this. Every single word.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:07 AM   #15
newfan
Mad Scientist

Much better April, were there 2 space April's released? The one I picked up has no pony tail and it doesn't look like it was a mistake.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:47 AM   #16
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Quote:
Snapped a few photos for you to help give you some ideas on scale. I also like the April head swap. Easy to do and she looks fairly solid to her on screen counterpart.
Thank you so much! It looks like you have a great collection and I absolutely love your April. Also, is that a Mega Bloks Ice cream Kitty? I'm watching one on Ebay right now! It's a shame it looks like most of the villains don't scale too well but at least I can have a Shredder for my set. I have a Footbot and Kraang ordered too, so I'll maybe just amry build a bunch of those instaed of getting a 4 inch Rocksteady! Fishface looks about right, actually, but I'm not a fan of the sculpt. His head seems to small, his arms are way too thick and swole...

I forgot to quote you, but to whoever was having flashbacks to the Playmates scaling issues, you're right. i actually had a decent collection of various TMNT era figs, but, at the risk of sounding melodramatic, I was homeless for 18 months and lost everything. I'd love to post some pix but my current phone takes AWFUL photos that look like crap- but maybe one day! I just have the Revoltech 2012 TMNT, The first 4 Neca 80's 2 packs and the Neca movie set- I just ot my Splinter and Shredder on Saturday for that too! But I remember Leatherhaed being particularly ridiculous. He was a good head shorter than Mikey!

Does anyone have a good shot of the face sculpt for the spacesuit Dimension X Casey Jones also? On Optibotimus' review, he commented it was easily the best Casey head sculpt we'd had, but we didn't get a good view of it. I plan on getting him for a head swap also!
Old 03-02-2020, 04:09 AM   #17
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Quote:
It's cool....
Post some collection pix!
Oh, OK then - but remember, I warned you that my phone camera sucks and bear in mind I'm in the middle of decorating, so nothing has a final home right now!

IMG_20200302_104346.jpg
IMG_20200302_104408.jpg
IMG_20200229_124851.jpg
IMG_20200302_104325.jpg
Old 03-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Oh, OK then - but remember, I warned you that my phone camera sucks and bear in mind I'm in the middle of decorating, so nothing has a final home right now!

Attachment 12594
Attachment 12595
Attachment 12596
Attachment 12597
That's cool. Get a display case, bro! Mount a two shelf unit on the wall and put them in a display case so they aren't strung about like you just got done playin' with 'em.

You know? You've got cool stuff. Make a "collection" out of it though.... instead of just a toy hoard!
Old 03-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #19
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Quote:
That's cool. Get a display case, bro! Mount a two shelf unit on the wall and put them in a display case so they aren't strung about like you just got done playin' with 'em.

You know? You've got cool stuff. Make a "collection" out of it though.... instead of just a toy hoard!
Yes, I plan to as soon as I'm done decorating! I have to strip the walls and repaint, so I'm holding off buying a big shelving unit until after I've done that! That whole white unit that everything is on top of is getting ripped out in a few days!
Old 03-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #20
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, I plan to as soon as I'm done decorating! I have to strip the walls and repaint, so I'm holding off buying a big shelving unit until after I've done that! That whole white unit that everything is on top of is getting ripped out in a few days!
Very cool... but.... ummm... lol why do you have to strip your walls, dude?!? Can't you just buy some high-hide primer to cover up that hideous baby blue and then go over the primer with some kind of earth tone?

As for cases - there used to be this company called Blazon Display. Their stuff was amazing. I don't think they are in business anymore, but do a google search for that name - sometimes people sell their old Blazon figure cabinets. They were truly awesome, wall-mounted displays and they are spaced appropriately for a TMNT collection.