The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Favorite Shredder design?
Mirage comics 21 15.22%
OT/Fred Wolf series 19 13.77%
Original movies 19 13.77%
TMNT II (Super Shredder) 5 3.62%
Next Mutation 1 0.72%
2K3/4Kids series 23 16.67%
IDW comics 38 27.54%
2K12/Nickelodeon series 12 8.70%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #81
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I guess they think the retractable claws are cool? Gives him a Wolverine feel, I guess. Personally I think the sash looks kinda alright and the color scheme of redish purple and metallic armor seems fine. Of course, other Shredder designs did these elements better.

Beyond that I have to say I agree with you, it's not a good design, like at all. The guantlets/shin guards are too bulky, the scaled torso armor looks out of place, a lot of the detail is oddly square-ish and everything about the helmet seems too long. It's probably the ugliest Shredder design since SotO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Oh and I forgot another detail about the Nick Shredder design I don't like, the foot and arm wrappings, what's up with that crap? How do they have those knuckle studs if it's wrappings, it'd be a bitch to align that everytime you put it on. What was wrong with just giving him gloves and why do they cover his entire arms except for the shoulders? I haven't even touched the foot wrappings yet, there's a billion types of foot wear and they gave him wrappings like some hobo?
I don't dislike the Nick show at all and there are some good designs in it, but Shredder... c'mon. There is no way in hell anyone could move in that thing, let alone fight in it or jump around. And when talk of the Nick cartoon began, that was like exactly what I'd imagine they'd do... big, bulky mechanized suit.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #82
ToTheNines
[sic]

I don't like the blocky shin and forearm gauntlets, but I got used to them after being really put off initially. Everything else about it is mint.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's something about Fred Wolf's Shredder that looks so damn cool:

It's like the perfect look for a supervillain from the 80's or 90's. Especially if he was portrayed competently and not a comic relief villain. In the videogames especially we see how this Shredder design can look so cool.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #84
Ninjinister
無問題

Turtles in Time Re-Shelled had a pretty boss take on the 87 Shredder.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #85
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

My favorite design is the original Mirage version. Such a classic design that still looks epic and menacing to this day.

I really dislike the Nick version. The proportions and aesthetics are all weird and wonky and the Extend-O-Claws™ are just ridiculous. He's never shown pressing any button or pulling anything on his gauntlets to make 'em come out, so how the heck does he do it? With his mind?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #86
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/f5/a1/b...ja-turtles.jpg

It's like the perfect look for a supervillain from the 80's or 90's. Especially if he was portrayed competently and not a comic relief villain. In the videogames especially we see how this Shredder design can look so cool.
I agree 100%. It certainly helped in the original cartoon when Shredder would beat all 4 turtles or do something impressive, he looked pretty badass while doing it.

It also made his foil ups more striking, since someone so menancing looking is losing as opposed to someone who looks like they will foil up anyway.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:06 AM   #87
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Except you know who never looked like that, ever, in Fred Wolf? Shredder. And it's not like he ever actually hurt anybody... that image is deceiving.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:16 AM   #88
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

It was a hard one for me to choose between FW and 4Kids.

Nick Shredder I think looks alright. Not great but not bad.

Original Movie Shredder I think looks amazing with his cape but looks less impressive without it since the helmet is very big in proportion to his body and Im not the biggest fan of his reddish pink shirt.

Between 2k3 and FW, 2k3 looks more menancing but I like how the FW design has a purple cape and has actual eyes as opposed to red lights.

It was a close one, but I give it to FW since I think his design is awesome even though his portrayal in the show was not intimidating while alot of what makes 4Kids Shredders look cool is his role in the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Except you know who never looked like that, ever, in Fred Wolf? Shredder. And it's not like he ever actually hurt anybody... that image is deceiving.
He still looks cool though, even if that image is FAKE.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:44 AM   #89
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
My favorite design is the original Mirage version. Such a classic design that still looks epic and menacing to this day.

I really dislike the Nick version. The proportions and aesthetics are all weird and wonky and the Extend-O-Claws™ are just ridiculous. He's never shown pressing any button or pulling anything on his gauntlets to make 'em come out, so how the heck does he do it? With his mind?
I imagined the blades may have a more discreet activation like a hidden senor under his gloves/bandages that just maybe activated with the right fist clench (or something like that) It wouldn't look as effective if he had to stop and press something.
Also, it's probably useful that they can retract when he is not in combat as they aren't in the way (he'd just be screwed if the device stopped working when he needed it )
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:35 AM   #90
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Turtles in Time Re-Shelled had a pretty boss take on the 87 Shredder.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...elled-97.7.jpg
The aura and glowing eyes coupled with the Scottie Ray voice sort of confuses me, is he just meant to be a revisionist version of the FW Shredder or one of the 4Kids Shredders wearing FW clothing?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #91
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

I think IDW shredders design and overall character is the best he has been done. Ruthless.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #92
pferreira
Foot Elite

I voted the FW Shredder design as well. The use of colours in the design works for me.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #93
Optimus Primer
Foot Soldier

I think my favorite is Mirage Shredder, narrowly beating 2k3 Shredder.
Optimus Primer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:40 AM   #94
newfan
Mad Scientist

Bumping an old thread triggered by something I saw today.

I was new here when this thread last popped up and there have been more versions since then, I'll add mention of the design in Batman and TMNT, I liked that.

Also maybe newer members can weight in they want I guess.

Last edited by newfan; 02-13-2021 at 08:56 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #95
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I really like Batman V TMNT's Shredder design too, I only hate the helmet that has the little "stickers" or whatever they're supposed to be of 1987 Shredder's helmet.

I like him because one of my favorite Shredder's is Cyber Shredder from Tournament Fighters. He has to look strong even without armor. My favorite foot logo is the dragon one from 2k3 so yeah that's why i'm partial to BatmanVtmnt Shredder.

2K3 shredder has too much armor and I hate 2012 Shredder's giant spikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Shredder was actually a fairly competent in the 1987 show, he rarely lost a 1 on 1 fight. He'd "trip" with a barrel and then run away in the sillier seasons but if he got into a fight he could take on all 4 turtles and win.

Last edited by sdp; 02-13-2021 at 09:48 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #96
mrmaczaps
Banned

Always Mirage. ALWAYS.

Then 1990.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shredder