The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Is Michelangelo eternally doomed?

Ever since the Fred Wolf series days, Michelangelo has become the designated catchphrase spewing machine and the face of the family friendly versions of TMNT.

While in the OT he was a chill surfer slang speaking dude, in 2k3 the writers decided to turn him into the comedian of the group and made him annoying and stupid as hell.

The last time a version of Michelangelo was tolerable was in the FW series days. Sure that was when the trend of turning Mikey into a joke began, but he still wasn't as annoying at the time. Although he was already known for being the least intelligent of the group.

TMNT is a property for kids. And Mikey is the face of such property and the most popular turtle for some reason. And kids love goofy humour and characters.

So yeah, I don't see that ever changing. All turtles have had a bad characterization or two, but Mikey clearly has gotten the short end of the stick.

Last edited by Prowler; 03-11-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Probably, yes. IDW tried to do him better justice but kinda just turned him into a crybaby. There's a chance for redemption, sure, but it won't come easy, or often.

Rise did a pretty solid job with him, actually. He was probably the most toned-down of them all, ironically. Can't use him as too much of a reference point, though, as the overall tone of the series was wacky & humorous.

Future writers need to learn from Image (Mirage Vol. 3) which gave us the best Michelangelo to date. He would babysit Shadow, he wrote short stories/poetry, enjoyed some brews, broke a few necks, fell in love, he was well rounded & fairly adult. It was such a refreshing change of pace. Mirage on a whole has also characterized him as an artist, which Rise made reference to as well.

Michelangelo should be defined more by his heart, rather than his sense of humor. The latter is due to the former, anyway.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, Mikey was alright in 4Kids Season 1 at least. He definitely got worse and was pretty insufferable by the time he became Battle Nexus Champion, but it didn't start out in all that bad a place.

But yeah, he's been pretty well "Flanderized" since then and it's probably too late to walk it back. Back in the day, someone saying that Mikey was their favorite Turtle was no big deal; at this point anyone who "claims" him though is pretty eyebrow-raising, given how awful he's been portrayed for the last twenty years. Like "THAT's your boy? Really?"

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:17 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Probably, yes. IDW tried to do him better justice but kinda just turned him into a crybaby. There's a chance for redemption, sure, but it won't come easy, or often.

Rise did a pretty solid job with him, actually. He was probably the most toned-down of them all, ironically. Can't use him as too much of a reference point, though, as the overall tone of the series was wacky & humorous.

Future writers need to learn from Image (Mirage Vol. 3) which gave us the best Michelangelo to date. He would babysit Shadow, he wrote short stories/poetry, enjoyed some brews, broke a few necks, fell in love, he was well rounded & fairly adult. It was such a refreshing change of pace. Mirage on a whole has also characterized him as an artist, which Rise made reference to as well.

Michelangelo should be defined more by his heart, rather than his sense of humor. The latter is due to the former, anyway.
Well said. Mikey shouldn't be a polarising individual. In the 2k3 he became too full of himself after winning Battle Nexus. Mikey isn't supposed to be an arrogant prick. Plus, they made him a chicken too, for some reason. What sense does it make for a skilled ninja to be a coward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Eh, Mikey was alright in 4Kids Season 1 at least. He definitely got worse and was pretty insufferable by the time he became Battle Nexus Champion, but it didn't start out in all that bad a place.

But yeah, he's been pretty well "Flanderized" since then and it's probably too late to walk it back. Back in the day, someone saying that Mikey was their favorite Turtle was no big deal; at this point anyone who "claims" him though is pretty eyebrow-raising, given how awful he's been portrayed for the last twenty years. Like "THAT's your boy? Really?"
Sure, he was better in the 1st season, but after winning the Battle Nexus tournament at the end of the 3nd season he came insufferable. Plus, it's not like he mopped the floor with his opponents. He fluked his wins against Raph and that big alien dude.

But he was already a chicken **** before that.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

You know, I always think of Michelangelo as a creative soul and a bit of an adrenaline junkie. It's all about living, and making the most out of it. Kinda the heart and soul of the group similarly to Ray Stantz role in the Ghostbusters team.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

The main problem with Mikey these days is that we are typically set up to laugh at him, not with him.

I agree that Image and Mirage did right by him. I also really dig the 1990 version, because while he is a goof in that movie, he is actually pretty funny and charming.
Mikey should be likeable and charming. He should help you crack a smile when you need it, not constantly encourage you to roll your eyes at him.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I thought this thread was gonna be about metaphysics and damnation.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Another problem with Mikey is, I hate how he's also become the 'annoying one'. Like the one the other usually don't want him around during downtime. Too obnoxious or 'tries too hard to be funny'. Like I don't get it, is the joke supposed to be he's bugging the **** out of everyone around him ala Spongebob?

Like while there were some times they did treat Mikey like that in the OT, it was rare and in the later seasons. When it was mission time, the turtles split up and were all competent in their own way. No one acted like 'ugh.... I'm stuck with Mikey' like the general impression is nowadays.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
The main problem with Mikey these days is that we are typically set up to laugh at him, not with him.

I agree that Image and Mirage did right by him. I also really dig the 1990 version, because while he is a goof in that movie, he is actually pretty funny and charming.
Mikey should be likeable and charming. He should help you crack a smile when you need it, not constantly encourage you to roll your eyes at him.
S'truth.

The 1990 movie pretty much "ruined" me for any other depiction of the Turtles themselves. They all feel so perfect and spot-on in that, to the point where everything I see or read of them gets filtered through that "lens". Everything else feels like either a step down or a misstep.

That definitely was Best Mikey. It's a shame that now he's little but the "Resident Autist". He used to have other traits besides "he's so dumb that he's only one step up from useless and often more a liability than an asset." How the f*ck did we get here?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
S'truth.

He used to have other traits besides "he's so dumb that he's only one step up from useless and often more a liability than an asset." How the f*ck did we get here?
Bad writers that can't think up of other forms of comedy other than 'dumb is funny'. Like if you must make Mikey the funny one, why not make him the smartass or something? There are other forms of comedy, ya know? 2012 Mikey bordered on 'lol-so-random' Deadpool funny but without the 4th walls.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It's weird that as much as some keep trying to pull inspiration from the first cartoon, they don't reboot Mikey as that sort of laid back personality.

Credit to Rise for toning him down, but in contrast to the other personalities around him that they tried to amp up in other directions and the allover tone of the show he just ended up rather bland instead.

I assume he's probably to some extent going to remain stuck in it. I HOPE future iterations might consider taking a careful look at how they craft his behavior and personality and cut out the stupid stuff and just let him be upbeat and suitably funny (now and then, not all of the time) without being stupid and annoying, but since they're probably always going to want the "fun one" who is comparatively the sunshiny goober of the group to draw some people in, esp the kids, I doubt it's ever going to be lost completely.

And really, while a comic might be able to get away with a serious Mikey, a show or movie kind of needs that one guy who is exuding charm and keeping things from becoming too depressing, but they really need to take a better look at how they are making it happen and stop relying on making him dumb or forcing too much humor in there. I have only few complaints about the Batman vs. TMNT movie, but the amount of forced humor from Mikey is one of them.

He can be the "happy pill" in his family, who are otherwise weighed down by their troubled existence, without being stupid about it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-12-2021 at 10:32 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #12
Sumac
Banned

Anything better than 2k12 Mike.
This thing was an embarrassment of cosmic proportions.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nightwalker View Post
You know, I always think of Michelangelo as a creative soul and a bit of an adrenaline junkie. It's all about living, and making the most out of it. Kinda the heart and soul of the group similarly to Ray Stantz role in the Ghostbusters team.
Well, he was creative in battle in the 2k3 series I suppose.

Would be nice to see future cartoon versions of Mikey focusing on his artistic and poet sides. But I guess it's easier to sell a goofy idiot to kids than a positive but yet intelligent character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I thought this thread was gonna be about metaphysics and damnation.
I'm sorry to disappoint you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Another problem with Mikey is, I hate how he's also become the 'annoying one'. Like the one the other usually don't want him around during downtime. Too obnoxious or 'tries too hard to be funny'. Like I don't get it, is the joke supposed to be he's bugging the **** out of everyone around him ala Spongebob?

Like while there were some times they did treat Mikey like that in the OT, it was rare and in the later seasons. When it was mission time, the turtles split up and were all competent in their own way. No one acted like 'ugh.... I'm stuck with Mikey' like the general impression is nowadays.
In one of the Red Sky episodes they give Mikey **** for "goofing off" during missions. Which is weird, because we didn't see Mikey not taking the missions seriously in any of the previous episodes. And now, all of a sudden, he was acting immature and getting distracted during missions?
Old 03-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #14
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

I find this thread funny. As much as I have been reading the comics lately, I don't see him nearly as hyper as his animated selves. I think the comics spoiled me because now I see most of the turtles in different ways in general.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hkohles1

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kohlesgoods

https://www.facebook.com/hkohles1gaming
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #15
Shark_Blade
Emperor

He’s actually quite cool and collective in Rise, and even mature and wise in IDW comic.

Those are vast improvements over 2k3, 2k7, 2k12, and Bayturtles Mikey tbh. I’m so done with Mikey being depicted as a moron that spouted unfunny jokes all the time.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:45 PM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I pretty much unilaterally refuse to support anything that has "Dude Mikey" in it. That's just not him.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:46 PM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In one of the Red Sky episodes they give Mikey **** for "goofing off" during missions. Which is weird, because we didn't see Mikey not taking the missions seriously in any of the previous episodes. And now, all of a sudden, he was acting immature and getting distracted during missions?
I remember, it was stupid cause Mikey was just as serious as the other as soon as Red Sky began, and on top of that, once he was useful they still had to rub it in with 'see what you can accomplish if you set your mind to it'. Like WTF, the writer for that one must have really hate Michealangelo.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I remember, it was stupid cause Mikey was just as serious as the other as soon as Red Sky began, and on top of that, once he was useful they still had to rub it in with 'see what you can accomplish if you set your mind to it'. Like WTF, the writer for that one must have really hate Michealangelo.
Yep.

Red Sky also had an episode where April thought the Turtles had become bad guys... after 8 seasons of being friends with them she starts distrusting them just like that?
Old 07-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #20
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Every superhero team needs a funny guy, and Mikey’s mask is orange, which is the color of happiness, enthusiasm, and fun. He could just change it to black and become the emo of the group.

Oh, wait, that already happened in “The Last Ronin”.