Yes I like the style 3 15.79%
No I hate the style 10 52.63%
Meh I'm indifferent to the style 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
Torterra
Foot Soldier

Art style in the current idw comics

How do you feel about the current art style in the comics ? Do you like it ?, Hate it ? indifferent to it ?

For me I'm not a big fan of it I'm sorry everyone look so off and weird especially characters like Alopex she looks a malnourished coyote.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

Clearly talented but I'm not a fan, personally.

I have pretty distinct taste when it comes to comic art. I know what works for me pretty quickly, and it has everything to do with style, so it's not a diss on the artist.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

The art hasn't been good for awhile now since all the most talented artists have left IDW and moved onto Marvel or other companies. I assume the guys they have now are willing to work for less pay because they can't hold onto all the artists who left the series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The art hasn't been good for awhile now since all the most talented artists have left IDW and moved onto Marvel or other companies.
Move to Marvel? Are they trying to kill their career?
Old 07-28-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I love the art when you have Sophie Campbell on it, Her art style is amazing.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Sophie's art is good, I wish she was the dedicated artist rather than splitting her time with writing, but I think everything has already been said about that particular gripe. I do wish she'd use more of that painting style she used in issue #66, cause I think it flows into action panels really well whereas some of her more modern issues fall a little flat on action. Either way she's probably the best artist on the book, maybe alongside Santolouco depending on taste.

The poll, however is talking specifically about Pablo Tunica's work on the past few arcs and I have to say I'm not terribly impressed. The art is decent enough at its best, but at its worse it looks really rough. I also hate how he draws Alopex, so that's a personal gripe of mine lol.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

I'm assuming this thread is referring to Pablo Tunica, who has been drawing 6 of the seven most recent issues. How do I feel about him? Well, I have somewhat mixed feelings about his artwork. The man is clearly not without style and I might have enjoyed his artwork on a different book. However, I don't really enjoy seeing the TMNT characters drawn like this and his human characters look really distorted and off-putting. The sketchiness of the art doesn't really help either and I get the feeling he probably needs far more time to fine tune his art than a monthly series really allows for. To simplify this, I think he has talented but I don't think he's a good fit for this particular book.

As for the other recent artists:
  • Tony Gregori is similar to Tunica but somewhat less sketchy.
  • Ken Garing is probably one of the better ones but his contribution does scream a bit of "This is WFH, why care?"
  • Jodi Nishijima is pretty good.
  • Nelson Daniel is OK.
  • Sophie Campbell own artwork is good, as much as I can't stand Campbell's writing, I can't deny the artwork is good.

In general the problem with the Campbell run has been the writing, not so much the artwork, which was hit and miss even under Waltz.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:15 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Seems fine to me. If I'd seen this art on, like, Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2 I wouldn't bat an eye. Decent.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:13 AM   #9
member_removed
Hench Mutant

Has it ever been confirmed or denied if Santolouco is coming back?

I've no gripes with Pablo Tunica, seems fine.

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:31 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't mind his art too much, but his proportions for the characters are off. Look at the latest issue, Don was drawn too slim and skinny. Alopex looks more like a dog than a fox (his Alopex has never looked good). Some Turtles are drawn too large or short while standing next to one another.

His human characters are also kinda hideous. I don't mind for Shredder since he should look like a Japanese guy from ancient Japan, but the other humans don't look right.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:10 PM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't mind his art too much, but his proportions for the characters are off. Look at the latest issue, Don was drawn too slim and skinny. Alopex looks more like a dog than a fox (his Alopex has never looked good). Some Turtles are drawn too large or short while standing next to one another.

His human characters are also kinda hideous. I don't mind for Shredder since he should look like a Japanese guy from ancient Japan, but the other humans don't look right.
I love the way Sophie Campbell draws Alopex, She's a lot more expressive.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:34 PM   #12
AwakeTea
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I love the way Sophie Campbell draws Alopex, She's a lot more expressive.
AwakeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:59 PM   #13
Galactus
Foot Elite

I've personally never cared for the IDW house style when it comes to TMNT art. There's nothing really wrong with it, all the various artists who have worked on the book are fine but they've all had a very cutsey depiction of the characters. Even Satalouco whose art in Secret History of the Foot Clan was hardly hard edged suddenly got a lot softer when he was on the main book.

In an ideal world the book should have a variety of art styles but since it seems if they had to choose one I'd have gone with an art style that resembled a more mainstream comic. Like it's hard enough to get people to take the characters seriously but it would help if every version didn't make the main characters so Chibi-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Move to Marvel? Are they trying to kill their career?
Yeah I'm sure working for the #1 comic book publisher looks terrible on the ol' resume.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:59 PM   #14
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakeTea View Post
CRIPES.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #15
Sharman
Foot Soldier

I guess I see pros and cons in all the art styles. Some aspects of one artist's work may be more appropriate for somethign than another's etc.
I'm just grateful that it's not that horrible artificial computer style that rocks up in other comics (have you seen Marvel's "Alien"?).
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

The art has been very poor, and honestly, "ugly" for a long time now. It's hard to describe but all the characters are drawn to look unappealing.