The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

DC Cuts Ties with Diamond Comic Distributors

The publisher will no longer distribute through the industry leader in comics distribution.
In a seismic shift for the comic book industry, DC has cut ties with Diamond Comic Distributors. The announcement was made via an email to retailers sent Friday morning, with the company telling customers that all orders for DC product will be fulfilled by Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors for periodical releases and Penguin Random House for graphic novels and collected editions.

An email sent to retailers explained, ?We recognize that, to many of you, this may seem like a momentous decision. However, we can assure you that this change in DC's distribution plans has not been made lightly and follows a long period of thought and consideration. The change of direction is in line with DC's overall strategic vision intended to improve the health of, and strengthen, the Direct Market as well as grow the number of fans who read comics worldwide.?

The message continued, ?In the near term, Diamond will only be fulfilling orders placed through June 1 Final Order Cut-Off and will not solicit the sale of new DC titles further. To ensure a smooth transition for retailers, DC will suspend Final Order Cut-Off for June 8, making those books available to order on Final Order Cut-Off on June 15.?

A spokesperson from DC told The Hollywood Reporter, ?After 25 years, DC and Diamond Comic Distributors are ending their long-standing relationship. Moving forward, comic book retailers can obtain their DC books from Penguin Random House, or their books and periodicals through Lunar or UCS comic book distributors. DC continues to be committed to providing the Direct Market with best in class service and the fans with the world?s greatest comic books.?

DC?s periodical product had, until earlier this year, been exclusively distributed by Diamond Comic Distributors, which holds a virtual monopoly on comic book distribution in the North American market. Following Diamond?s decision to close down as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic in mid-March, followed by Diamond announcing that it would withhold payment to publishers, citing cash flow problems, DC announced plans to find alternative distribution.

The company eventually settled on two newly created companies ? Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors ? to handle periodical distribution while Diamond was closed. All parties involved, including DC and Diamond, publicly stated that DC would continue to release product through Diamond when the latter resumed distribution in late May.

DC parting ways with Diamond means that the latter loses the second biggest publisher in the North American market, responsible for roughly 30 percent of the entire market in 2019. It?s a significant blow to the distribution company as it re-opens after two months, especially with publishers across the line significantly pulling back on releases in the wake of coronavirus closures and furloughs of their own.

THR has reached out to Diamond for comment.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...bution-1297309
Old 06-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Good, Diamond is practically a monopoly and has held mass distribution back for decades.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Bold move and if it is a stupid move trying to climb to the top the future shall tell. I know Diamond halted distribution putting the market itself to a halt, but it was necessary. I assume DC is shifting back to Wednesday from Tuesday as of this week? As long as I get the books I pull from whatever company it does not matter the middle man distributor, but we will see if this does make any difference. I guess the main question, is what will Lunar distribute and what will UCS distribute?
Old 06-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

My selfish/personal feelings on the matter?

This is great, despite the risk it may bring. I've been reading comics for several decades now, and while I love the art form, I find it to be stuck in a bit of a rut as of late. There is great work, but nothing is new or exciting. This is a huge enough change in business that it could have ramifications on the art form itself, so I'm anxious to see what a big industry shake-up will do. There isn't much for me to lose at this point, most of my beloved books are classics at this point anyway.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
TommyT
Banned

DC has some very strong IP's, but it's full of bloat. The smart money is on Boom studios right now, they've been generating the real gold. Also, looks like IDW has rebounded a full $ to 4.95. That's great. I still think it's over valued, but could be a buy at 2.50.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
DC sales won't be available on Comiccron anymore

https://blog.comichron.com/2020/06/d...ship-with.html
Ohhhhh wow. I hadn't considered this. Eventually there will be a new way to track this, but it might go back to annual statements of ownership or something like that.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:12 AM   #8
TommyT
Banned

Pretty sure DC will keep their sales close to the vest. Unless you?re moving lots of product, and its something to boast about, the company has little to no interest in publicly releasing numbers.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

DC not completely done with Diamond just yet, they'll still distribute comics through it's UK division until the end of 2020

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...uk-until-2021/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:02 AM   #10
TommyT
Banned

DC might not make it to 2020, intact. Lots of talk about it being shipped over to the mouse house.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:12 AM   #11
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
DC might not make it to 2020, intact. Lots of talk about it being shipped over to the mouse house.
AT&T are thinking of selling off WB's games division, so that's one foot in the deep end already
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:19 AM   #12
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
AT&T are thinking of selling off WB's games division, so that's one foot in the deep end already
It was already in motion in Dec of 19. I talked about it here someplace else. The turtles will also have a new home before the year is out.
AT&T might hold onto theatrical/film rights. The rest is likely to be purged.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
It was already in motion in Dec of 19. I talked about it here someplace else. The turtles will also have a new home before the year is out.
AT&T might hold onto theatrical/film rights. The rest is likely to be purged.
untrue at&T has shown no such intentions, in fact they have shown the opposite, they put dc stuff all over their brand now. I literally see more dc stuff at at&t daily.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #14
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
untrue at&T has shown no such intentions, in fact they have shown the opposite, they put dc stuff all over their brand now. I literally see more dc stuff at at&t daily.

I have a 100% batting average. You have hopes and dreams.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't care enough to defend DC online, I just happen to be in a job that what you're saying doesn't make sense based on what I see going around. They have shown very well what they want to keep and what they want to get rid off in not so subtle ways. Could it happen? Of course, does it seem likely? not at all. Would I believe some random guy online who has "100% accuracy" or what I see in my emails every day I go to work?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #16
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't care enough to defend DC online, I just happen to be in a job that what you're saying doesn't make sense based on what I see going around. They have shown very well what they want to keep and what they want to get rid off in not so subtle ways. Could it happen? Of course, does it seem likely? not at all. Would I believe some random guy online who has "100% accuracy" or what I see in my emails every day I go to work?
We did this dance before. I'm happy you know something about the stock market, That's great. I also happen to be in a position where I know what will happen before it does.

A'int life grand.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
We did this dance before. I'm happy you know something about the stock market, That's great. I also happen to be in a position where I know what will happen before it does.

A'int life grand.
how the hell do you fvck up the word "ain't"

ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote