The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #21
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah, he's just "the last Yeti", and he somehow made his way from Tibet (or somewhere thereabouts) to New York City where he built a criminal empire.

The show is so goofy, it's hard to be mad at it. They made some weird design choices (Donnie's face mask, chiefly) and a LOT of weird story choices (Venus). And it's pretty cheap too, judging by how often they reuse certain shots (Raph starting up his motorcycle while the other Turtles hop in their Hummer). The audio embellishment is nonstop, and the Turtles are constantly yelling really, really bad one-liners that don't even make sense.

But then there are some things that I think are worth further exploration like the spirit realm, Dragon Lord, and supernatural enemies like vampires.

Anyways, I'm about halfway through the show now, I'm gonna keep watching an episode or two at night. Maybe when I'm done I'll finally be inspired to get through all of the OT, 2K3 and Nick series.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #22
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I plan to watch Next Mutation alongside Rise of the Tmnt. Look forward to it, I'm even wondering which one I'm gonna like better

Rise sounds like its gonna be better but I'm hugely into nostalgic/90s stuff so NM might grow on me like it has with other users here.
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #23
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I plan to watch Next Mutation alongside Rise of the Tmnt. Look forward to it, I'm even wondering which one I'm gonna like better

Rise sounds like its gonna be better but I'm hugely into nostalgic/90s stuff so NM might grow on me like it has with other users here.
Remember to watch the TMNT crossover with the In Space Power Rangers while you're at it! I'll be doing the same.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #24
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biganimefan View Post
Remember to watch the TMNT crossover with the In Space Power Rangers while you're at it! I'll be doing the same.
That crossover episode, the movie from last year that I still haven't seen, and a list posted on CBR today all have me thinking I might want to try and watch all the different Power Rangers series if I can find them through convenient streams
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #25
sdp
<<Angsty Dino Raver>>

What's wrong with Silver the gangster? He's awesome and to me it makes perfect sense that a talking yeti who becomes a gangster would exist in the turtles universe, no origin is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
That crossover episode, the movie from last year that I still haven't seen, and a list posted on CBR today all have me thinking I might want to try and watch all the different Power Rangers series if I can find them through convenient streams
I haven't seen the movie either but I must, too bad it won't have a sequel but apparently it's good. I just hated the suits.

The cross-over is the worst TNM and Power Rangers In Space episode and yet I like them because it's my two childhood heroes teaming up. The continuity doesn't make much sense but at least the fight choreography is the best TNM ever had (likely since it was a PR episode).

All Power Ranger shows are on Netflix to stream including the latest season and the newer seasons are usually added after it ends. I'm a big PRs fan but I cannot watch too much power rangers before getting tired, a season or two fills my PR fix for a year But there's plenty of cool stuff there if you can live with the cheese and bad acting.

EDM Dinos @ MiscRave.com
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:42 PM   #26
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
All Power Ranger shows are on Netflix to stream including the latest season and the newer seasons are usually added after it ends. I'm a big PRs fan but I cannot watch too much power rangers before getting tired, a season or two fills my PR fix for a year But there's plenty of cool stuff there if you can live with the cheese and bad acting.
You should check out Super Sentai(the original Japanese shows that Power Rangers took some footage from). Those are a lot better!
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #27
funatic
Stone Warrior

Not that continuity is a strong point in Next Mutation... does anyone know at what point in the series it's best to watch the Power Rangers crossover? Or like, at least knows where it fits chronologically by release date?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #28
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
You should check out Super Sentai(the original Japanese shows that Power Rangers took some footage from). Those are a lot better!
Meh, Sentai can have it's duds as well. I can count at least five PR seasons that are superior to five of theirs.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #29
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I had a toxic view of this show for years, but recently I gave the whole series a watch, and I have to say I enjoyed it!

Take it as a cheesy, wacky take on the turtles and, approach it in that manner and it can be fun to watch.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)

Last edited by TheBlueTurtle1; 02-07-2018 at 05:53 AM.
TheBlueTurtle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #30
sdp
<<Angsty Dino Raver>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Not that continuity is a strong point in Next Mutation... does anyone know at what point in the series it's best to watch the Power Rangers crossover? Or like, at least knows where it fits chronologically by release date?
At any point after the pilot it can be watched continuity wise, I'd watch it after halfway through the show though since Venus is well integrated into the group but I'd watch it before the final episodes which if we go by airdate order it was like that when it happened.

Since the episode was written by the Power Rangers crew and no TNM the turtles act all out of character, they're all acting like Michaelangelo, the voices are also all different and not for the better. The TMNT and PRs both think each other is fictional and yet Venus knows of Astronema and Astronema knew of the turtles. In general it doesn't make much sense but the fight scenes are cool.

It should be noted that the crossover actually begins the episode before Shell Shocked. The epilogue of the previous Power Rangers In Space episode "Save Our Ship" ends with Astronema saying she know some friends who can help her in NY and meets the turtles", it's a 30 second segment or so but yeah technically the crossover starts there.

Quote:
I'm sure they're better written but what I enjoy about Power Rangers is the cheesyness/nostalgia/continuity which Sentai doesn't have for me, and for pure tokusatsu in japanese I can find better stuff than super sentai like Kamen Rider/Garo etc so I just don't have time for Sentai.

EDM Dinos @ MiscRave.com
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #31
pferreira
Mad Scientist

One thing I can never accuse The Next Mutation of is being boring.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote